Fantasy Aficionados discussion

Discussions about books > Show us your Bookshelf!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 113 (113 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

So I took Jackie's advice and wandered around looking for other groups I might want to join and I didn't find any I liked any better than this one. I did however find a great idea on another large fantasy group and that was to show off your book collection. We're all connoisseurs of Fantasy so I would imagine most everyone has at least a few books at home. Neat, messy, old, new, hardcover or paperback...Show us what you've got :)

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

All righty...here's my built in bookshelves in the Living room

And here's my bookcase in my man cave. The room is actually one huge shrine to my fav football team but with ye random book collection thrown in for good measure.

I actually have thousands more books in storage but unfortunately I quite obviously am lacking in room. One of these days though I'm gonna have a full on library with 16 ft vaulted ceilings with floor to ceiling bookshelves...It'll happen ;)

message 3: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments Those are some awesome selves, Grant!

I keep meaning to take a picture or two of my own shelves, but time keeps getting in the way. It will come, though. That I promise! lol

message 4: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments How do you add pics? My books shelves are a mess, especially since I joined GR. I've been digging through them a lot lately (which is good, I found a few duplicates that mom'll love getting her dirty little paws on)

message 5: by Christine (new)

Christine Thanks for sharing, Grant. I went to get my camera last night and the battery was dead. So it charged all night and now I, too, want to know how to add a photo to the post.

message 6: by Laurel (new)

Laurel I can't upload photos to the site from my iPad, which makes me crazy, because my sunroom is the room I am most proud of in my house!

The house is about 100 years old with those big wooden baseboards and window trim. The room has five huge windows, and is a maritime blue with white trim. I have a huge, comfy reclining chair nestled next to my wall of bookshelves. I spend more time in there than is probably necessary...

I am a bit of a hard cover snob, and love to frequent used boom stores! I have almost all of Robin Hobb's books, (except for the first two Assassin books), Guy Gavriel Kay, Brandon Sanderson, John Scazi, Cherie Priest, Joe Abercrombie, Janny Wurts, Tad Williams, Lois McMaster Bujold, George R. R. Martin, A. Lee Martinez, Greg Keyes...

I may not have a huge retirement fund, but I've worked very hard to get to the point where I can own my little cottagey-type house, and fill an entire room with my love of books!

Please post more book shelves! I love looking at my fellow Goodreaders' shrines!!!

message 7: by Christine (new)

Christine Laurel, I am so envious of your "shrine". It is exactly how I would imagine mine! I will get my photo up soon. Waiting on the light to take photo.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Your room sounds amazing Laurel. I'm a hardback snob as well and all the ones in (and on) my bookcase are first edition/first printings! I'm really proud of it. The Memory Sorrow and Thorn, Belgariad and Dresden Files collections are my fav since they were the toughest to get. Im so ridiculously jealous of you having Robin Hobb's novels in hardback. I've never been able to get Farseer trilogy because it wasn't printed here in the states and so it's ridiculously hard to come by. I need to make some British friends on here! lol

message 9: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 15, 2011 01:48PM) (new)

For those that aren't well versed in html, here's a short guide for how to post a pic within your comments. Hope it helps :)

There are multiple ways to load images using html but the easiest way is to upload your pics to a third party website like flicker or photobucket. Once you've uploaded the pic and it's embedded on the webpage, view the pic on that webpage and hit the F12 button on your keyboard to bring up your developer tools which will show the html code that makes up the webpage. At the top of the developer tools go to Images tab and then click on View Image Report. If you scroll down the report that opens,you should be able to find the SRC (source code)for your picture which will be somewhat like this ---> http://somethingorother.jpg Generally this src will be directly above or below the actual pic you uploaded.

Copy that code and paste it in the GR comment box. Now click on the the (some html is ok) link located at the top right corner of the comment box. This will bring up some formatting tips. Follow the directions for .image You can ignore the height, width and description portions :)

Hope this helps Mrs Joseph and Christine and anyone else that would like to upload pics :)

message 10: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 4 comments My bookshelf is now virtual as I've switched almost entirely to reading ebooks. I love that I'm carrying 2438 books on my ereader, but it doesn't make for an impressive shelf!

message 11: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments Thanks for those instruction, Grant!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Lol...I know what you mean, Marcy. I downloaded a little over 8000 books just two weeks ago on Vuse. I mean can you imagine. A lifetime's worth of novels in just a few minutes :) As you've said though, unless someone can actually scroll through my books on my ipad, it's not a very impressive display ;)

And it was my pleasure, Jason. I'd encourage everyone to give uploading pics a shot as it's not nearly as difficult as it may seem. Plus if you mess up you can always delete the post with none of us the wiser ;)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) Wow! That's more books than I own probably times two altogether. Now I don't feel so bad about my voluptuous book collection. :)

message 14: by Kevin (last edited Jan 31, 2011 07:03PM) (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) Grant wrote: "All righty...here's my built in bookshelves in the Living room

And here's my bookcase in my man cave. The room is actually one huge shrine to my fav football team but with ye random book col..."

What happened to the dust jackets on certain books, especially the Wheel of Times before Crossroads of Twilight? Plus do you have Towers of Midnight?

message 15: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) Laurel wrote: "I can't upload photos to the site from my iPad, which makes me crazy, because my sunroom is the room I am most proud of in my house!

The house is about 100 years old with those big wooden baseboar..."

I have too many copies of Assassin's Apprentice. Seems like I find one every month.

message 16: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (lostunicorn) Bookshelves cleaned up: check
Picture taken: check
Upload to photobucket: check
Post to FA: I hope this works!

Photobucket

message 17: by Mach (new)

Mach | 572 comments Can we get a closeup Melissa, so we can se what books you have?

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

*makes mental note to buy Melissa a stuffed Unicorn*

Awesome shelves, Melissa :D I redid mine and need to post a new pic

message 19: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (lostunicorn) Machavelli wrote: "Can we get a closeup Melissa, so we can se what books you have?"

Ummm.....sure......if I can figure out how to do that....lol.

Actually I think if you click on the picture it will open my photobucket page and you can zoom in a bit closer....

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Ha, what's bad is I recognize over half your library based on the little pic. I've spent entirely too much time admiring fantasy books

message 21: by Leighann (new)

Leighann | 159 comments I actually do have one room in my house that is completely devoted to my books - the shelves as of now are not that big but they are FULL and I continue to add more and more to them - soon they will be floor to ceiling shelves - I just need to get to home depot to start building :)

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Made room for more hardcovers. I need more bookshelves *sigh*

message 23: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (lostunicorn) Grant wrote: "Ha, what's bad is I recognize over half your library based on the little pic. I've spent entirely too much time admiring fantasy books"

Ya think? lol

Leighann wrote: "I actually do have one room in my house that is completely devoted to my books - t"

I will have that someday... *dreaming of 'someday' *

message 24: by Leighann (new)

Leighann | 159 comments well when I finally own my own house - there will be one whole room done in built in bookshelves and it will be heaven...for now I rent and I took the spare bedroom as my library/office

message 25: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments *sigh* being jealous isn't good for the soul *sigh*

message 26: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (lostunicorn) Grant wrote: "

Made room for more hardcovers. I need more bookshelves *sigh*"

I need more hardcovers....*sigh* I've never really cared if I had paperbacks (figuring that quantity is better than quality sometimes), but they do look awfully nice on your shelves Grant.

message 27: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments I find myself jealous a lot here. A LOT!

For example, I'm jealous of your shelving unit, Melissa! LOL

message 28: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (stewartry) *sigh* Shelf envy. I'm going to create that room one day ...

message 29: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) | 0 comments ^

message 30: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) I so want that SFBC Night Angel Trilogy.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Just got it in this past weekend. I was really pleased to find it considering the trilogy wasn't available in hardcover in any other way

message 32: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) I love it because this is not one of those books on SFBC that you can get for $1 when you join.

message 33: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments I can't join anyone's book club without having a house. This is getting out of hand. I've been contemplating pushing a lot of my PBs into the back of the shelves to make room for more HBs.

message 34: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) For certain books, I rather have it in paperback than hardcover like the Sowrd of Truth Series, the Dune House trilogy to name two.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

At least you can shelve yours, MrsJ. I've got boxes and boxes of books stored in my attic and I feel somewhat criminal for not having them out and about

message 36: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments Grant wrote: "At least you can shelve yours, MrsJ. I've got boxes and boxes of books stored in my attic and I feel somewhat criminal for not having them out and about"

I can only shelve them because of my ebook habit...If I had all my ebooks as pbooks - well lets just say I'd have no bed to sleep itn :-D

message 37: by Leighann (new)

Leighann | 159 comments You know I just can't seem to get around the idea of reading a book on an eReader...I've noticed a lot of you seem to use them - thoughts? Perhaps this is (should be) a separate thread.

message 38: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments I like both. Ereaders are more portable and you can carry more but DTBs feel good in your hands and you can smell them and have covers...

I really like both - but ereaders are MUCH better for trashy romances :0)

message 39: by C.M. (new)

C.M. Barrett (elfspirit) | 68 comments I do not dare look at those bookshelves. I have learned far too much about fantasy books I haven't read since joining this list.

"Just say no," I mutter to myself, but the real message is, "Oh, go ahead, it couldn't hurt."

message 40: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments C. wrote: "I do not dare look at those bookshelves. I have learned far too much about fantasy books I haven't read since joining this list.

"Just say no," I mutter to myself, but the real message is, "Oh, go..."

Welcome to the club! *Hands C her "Will work for books" sign*

message 41: by C.M. (new)

C.M. Barrett (elfspirit) | 68 comments Truth is, will do anything for books.

message 42: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments C. wrote: "Truth is, will do anything for books."

....hmmmm....

LOL

message 43: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments I have a Kindle, and I love it. I still love reading the real dead tree ppb, too!

What I love about my kindle is that it fits my reading habits. I tend to read more than one book, and so if I go out somewhere, I'm not stuck with just the one book, or carrying more than one with me. I have everything I'm reading right on my Kindle. Even if I'm reading the ppb format at home, I'll still have the ebook for it. (I tend to have more than one copy of most of the books I own.)

message 44: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) | 0 comments That's why I love my Nook; I don't have to try to choose among the 8-10 books I am normally reading, so long as I have them in electronic form.

message 45: by C.M. (new)

C.M. Barrett (elfspirit) | 68 comments Jason wrote: "C. wrote: "Truth is, will do anything for books."

....hmmmm....

LOL"

How about almost anything?

message 46: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments I love that about my ereader, too. Lots of books to chose from. I've got 13 books on my "Im Reading" shelf alone (but for some reason I never seem to get to all of them...Damn AF! Always distracting me! lol)

message 47: by Kevin (last edited Apr 21, 2011 02:40PM) (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) I always have too much on my reading shelf. It seems like I never finish them. I am always distracted by a new book.

message 48: by Jea0126 (new)

Jea0126 | 203 comments Grant wrote: "At least you can shelve yours, MrsJ. I've got boxes and boxes of books stored in my attic and I feel somewhat criminal for not having them out and about"

The boxes I have stored in the attic are filled with mostly just ones that I've read. My book shelves are predominately filled with my TBR stuff.

message 49: by Jea0126 (last edited Apr 21, 2011 08:33PM) (new)

Jea0126 | 203 comments Melissa wrote: "Bookshelves cleaned up: check
Picture taken: check
Upload to photobucket: check
Post to FA: I hope this works!

"

Have you read the Chris Claremont and George Lucas set with Shadow Dawn or is it a picture of a tbr?

message 50: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (lostunicorn) Jea0126 wrote: Have you read the Chris Claremont and George Lucas set with..."

Not yet, I just got Shadow Moon last week, which is the first book. Actually, all the books laying down in stacks are my TBRs...they don't get to stand up until I've read them.

« previous 1 3