75 Books...More or Less! discussion

Archive (2011 Completed) > Stacie T's 75 for 2011...100% done!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 238 (238 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Stacie (new)

Stacie Vetsch Hoping I can get through this again this year! I'm starting the MBA program, so I don't know how much free time I'll have! :)

message 2: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Andrea | 4126 comments Mod
How exciting Stacie!

message 3: by Merri (new)

Merri Stacie- good luck!! Remember that you will need to relax even though in school- nothing like a book to get lost in!

message 4: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

My reading slowed to a crawl while I was in school..hahah

message 5: by Merri (new)

Merri Stacie- just read books that you will enjoy and relax with- when you are in school it is not the time to tackle War and Peace! LOL

message 6: by Stacie (new)

Stacie Vetsch 1. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer

This was an interesting read, although I've never read anything like it before. It was strange to be reading letters that were written to someone rather than reading a typical novel. The characters were intriguing and there were definitely parts that made me laugh. Great start to 2011!

message 7: by Merri (new)

Merri Loved this book read it last year!

message 8: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2935 comments This was one of my most favorite reads last year. Such a great book! I really enjoyed it!!

message 9: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

I loved it too! It is also great in audio :)

message 10: by Stacie (new)

Stacie Vetsch I've never been able to get into audio books. I tried once, but I couldn't focus on it. I was focusing too much on the things around me and didn't know what was going on in the book! :)

2. Nights in Rodanthe
Nights in Rodanthe by Nicholas Sparks

Yay! Book 2 of the year done. I haven't read a Nicholas Sparks book since 8th Grade, but I found this one at a library book sale and realized I hadn't read it. It was the typical Sparks book, but a great easy read.

message 11: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

I love Nicholas Sparks, Stacie!

message 12: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) | 1814 comments Stacie wrote: "1. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

This was an interesting read, although I've never read ..."

I read this last year and loved it, which surprised the heck out of me because it isn't the type of thing I usually enjoy at all!

message 13: by Stacie (new)

Stacie Vetsch 3. The Pilot's Wife
The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve

I seem to be starting this year off right with another great read! This book kept me intrigued from beginning to end. The characters were well developed and the story seemed complete. It is definitely a book that makes you wonder who you can trust and how much you actually know about a person.

4. The Family Bones
The Family Bones by Kimberly Raiser

This one was very disappointing. It was a fast read, but didn't quite keep my attention. There seemed to be holes throughout the story and it didn't flow well at all. The characters weren't developed and it was difficult to understand the sequence of events. I was hoping for a great story, but all I got was a story that made me say, "Huh?"

message 14: by Stacie (new)

Stacie Vetsch 5. Day After Night
Day After Night by Anita Diamant

This was a book I picked up because it was a book club read. It is a great story that brings to light the reality of what the Jews went through after the fall of Hitler and the Germans. It wasn't all smooth sailing, and this book highlights a "camp" in which the British made many Jews stay who did not have proper papers. Very sad to think of the events that took place, but the story itself is one of survival.

message 15: by Stacie (new)

Stacie Vetsch 6. The Great Gatsby
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

This was an okay book, but not outstanding in my opinion. I didn't find it to be very exciting and just kept reading since it was the group book of the month. I was hoping to like it more, but I guess it just wasn't my style.

message 16: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1597 comments Stacie wrote: "6. The Great Gatsby
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

This was an okay book, but not outstanding in my opinion. I didn't find it to be very exciting and just kept reading since it ..."

Stacie, that is pretty much how I'm feeling about it too, though I haven't finished yet, so we'll see.

message 17: by Marta (new)

Marta Stacie wrote: "1. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

I will probably read this book this year. I have seen that many people have enjoyed it. Let's see!

message 18: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

stacie, I'm sorry that you didn't love The Great Gatsby. I am way behind on the reading due to work stuff. I feel bad that I slacked on our first group read. I hope to get caught up and get some discuss started asap!

Also, have you read other Shreve books? She is one of my favs and she has a ton of books that are really well developed stories. If you have not read anything else, I think Fortunes Rock was another really good one!

message 19: by Stacie (new)

Stacie Vetsch 7. Family Secrets: A Novel
Family Secrets A Novel by Judith Henry Wall

This is a book I picked up from the bargain bin at B&N at least a year ago so I finally decided to read it. The book started out okay, but I feel it really picked up towards the middle. The climax/ending could have been a little better, but overall it was a good read!

message 20: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Ohhh you are so lucky that you have all of her books to look forward to!

message 21: by Stacie (new)

Stacie Vetsch 8. Sea Glass
Sea Glass by Anita Shreve

9. Testimony
Testimony by Anita Shreve

I would have to say that out of these two books, Testimony was my favorite. This is likely because of the law-related content. I love the way Shreve writes in the viewpoint of each character and joins their stories together. Each of the novels I've read have been written this way. You find out how each character is connected with the other and the story really flows together in that way. I can't wait to read the next book of Shreve's I have from the library, Fortune's Rocks.

message 22: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Stacie, I'm so glad you are enjoying Shreve!

message 23: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

It's so fun to discover a new author that has a bunch of books just ready to read..hahah

message 24: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

I hate that!

message 25: by Stacie (last edited Jan 20, 2011 06:56AM) (new)

Stacie Vetsch School has definitely slowed down my reading, but I finally finished the 3rd book I got from the library...

10. Fortune's Rocks
Fortune's Rocks by Anita Shreve

Shreve kept me interested throughout the entire novel! The plot was amazing and the characters felt alive to me. Imagining a situation like that of Olympia was disheartening. Although I know times are different now, I think there are many girls who can relate to the situation she was in. A great ending to the story; one I couldn't have predicted.

On a side note: I believe this book was set in the same place as her book Sea Glass. If I'm not mistaken, the characters in Sea Glass lived in the same house (an old convent) as Olympia and her family did.

message 26: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

I just LOVED this book Stacie!

message 27: by Tuğçe (new)

Tuğçe Gökırmak (tugcenidasevin) Stacie wrote: "School has definitely slowed down my reading, but I finally finished the 3rd book I got from the library...

10. Fortune's Rocks
Fortune's Rocks by Anita Shreve

Shreve kept m..."

This one is in my nook for awhile waiting
to be read and now i am excited about it, this will be my firstbook from Shreve, hope i will like i. it is always nice to discover new authors for my shelves

message 28: by Christy (new)

Christy (christy_t) Stacie wrote: "I definitely recommend reading it if you haven't read a Shreve novel yet. Shreve is an amazing writer, in my opinion, and I'm very happy to have discovered a new author. I was looking forward to reading her latest one, but the library here charges $1.50 for a 7-day loan on bestsellers. I'll just have to wait until it is a regular 7-day loan book! :)"

What??? They charge you to checkout bestsellers? That is the craziest thing I think I've ever heard. It kind of defeats the point of a library.

message 29: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1597 comments Christy wrote: "What??? They charge you to checkout bestsellers? That is the craziest thing I think I've ever heard. It kind of defeats the point of a library."

Yes, how terrible! I was surprised to discover my new library charges $1 for interlibrary loans, but after thinking about it I realized it makes sense in a more isolated place like Dubuque, IA, compared to just sharing books between the 100+ libraries in the Chicago suburbs (where I was living before).

But, to check out an ordinary book that has no additional cost for the library? Just because it's new and popular? That makes no sense to me.

message 30: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

I see what you mean Stacie, I guess the libraries are really hurting with all the other form of books now available. It's still cheaper than buying the books though and if someone really wants the book I bet they will pay the $1.50 or wait until the status changes from new.

message 31: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

I'm in the same boat. I have so many books here at home and so many older books for free that I would check out that I don't even bother looking at the rental section. I may rethink this if it was something I needed for a bookclub or something like that.

message 32: by Christy (new)

Christy (christy_t) I understand the thought process of the library, particularly in these financial times. However it just strikes me as wrong to pay to check out a library book. The whole point of the library in my (not so humble) opinion is to allow access to those who don't have or don't want to spend money access to the reading. As a result, this policy would make me a little angry if I was a patron.

message 34: by Michelegg (new)

Michelegg (mggoertzen) Stacie I have Heartbroke Bay on my wish list. What did you think of it? Is it worth reading?

message 35: by Michelegg (new)

Michelegg (mggoertzen) I think I'm going to. Thanks for your thoughts.

message 36: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Stacie, that sounds a little like Daughter of Fortune. Have you read this one? I read it years ago but it was great and got me to think that historical fiction was not as bad as I thought.

message 37: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

No problem! Isabelle Allandre (?sp) is awesome! She is a very talanted writer and her stories are very rich!

message 38: by Christy (new)

Christy (christy_t) Two more for the TBR! I've been meaning to read an Isabelle Allede book, I know several people who have recommended her.

message 39: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Christy, I hope you like her!

message 40: by Stacie (new)

Stacie Vetsch Wow! I'm so slow now! School is taking up way too much time...

12. Invisible River
Invisible River by Helena McEwen

message 41: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Ugh, I just hate when school and work get in the way of my fun reading...lol

message 42: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

I know what you mean Stacie! I've been lucky that I've had a fair amount of reading time the last couple of months. I think that will be changing soon though...

message 44: by Stacie (new)

message 45: by Amy J. (new)

Amy J. | 595 comments Stacie wrote: "1. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

I had been wanting to read this book, but somehow it feel off my radar...

message 48: by Stacie (new)

Stacie Vetsch 17. The Egg Said Nothing
The Egg Said Nothing by Caris O'Malley

This is the first book I've read on my Kindle! First of all, I love the Kindle now...I don't think I'll ever buy another hard copy book :) Secondly, this book was so messed up I couldn't stop reading it! lol

message 49: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Stacie, I got a Nook for my birthday and i love it!

message 50: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

I have the nook color and I love ! At night. ?(like right now) I use it in bed to, make posts and read updates. I have over 600 books so I'm slow in using the Nook for a lot of reading. I'm taking advantage of the fre and cheaper books to start an elibrary. With all the books I own I still plan on doing most of my reading with books. I like reading this in bed though because it is backlit.

« previous 1 3 4 5