Start by marking “The Client” as Want to Read:
The Client

The Client

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  356,491 ratings  ·  2,194 reviews
In a weedy lot on the outskirts of Memphis, two boys watch a shiny Lincoln pull up to the curb...Eleven-year-old Mark Sway and his younger brother were sharing a forbidden cigarette when a chance encounter with a suicidal lawyer left Mark knowing a bloody and explosive secret: the whereabouts of the most sought-after dead body in America. Now Mark is caught between a legal ...more
Published March 16th 2010 by Delta (first published March 1st 1993)

·  356,491 ratings  ·  2,194 reviews

Diane
Apr 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great read! a riveting storyline consisting of some great characters with different personalities...this is what most readers expect from Mr.Grisham when one of his book is release,good storytelling and great writing...recommend to everyone (paperback!)
Nayra.Hassan
Apr 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
اخرج الصبي دولارا من جيبه {الان انت عميلي و انا محاميتك }..هكذا نتعرف على مارك الذي قرر ان يتذاكى و تدخل في انتحار صغير لطيف
Screenshot_2018_09_07_10_34_26_1
..ليتعرف على سر من الطراز الذي يودى بحامله الى داهية مؤكدة
جون جريشام عبقري الروايات القانونية الأمريكية المثيرة ..{مبدع وقت للقتل و الشركة } يقتحم عالم المافيا بعروضهم اياها التي لا يمكن رفضها ابدا🔪🔫

فلو انت محامي و عرفت ان موكلك الوغد قتل عضو مجلس الشيوخ و اخفى جثته تحت الأسمنت الذي تركن عليه قاربك. .لن تجد وقت لتسأل ماذا سافعل؟

البطل الضعيف دائما و ابدا وحده أمام قوى سياسي
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Client, John Grisham
The Client (1993) is a legal thriller written by American author John Grisham, set mostly in Memphis, Tennessee and New Orleans, Louisiana. It is Grisham's fourth novel.
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: ماه اکتبر سال 2009 میلادی
عنوان: موکل؛ نویسنده: جان گریشام؛ مترجم: هادی عادلپور؛ تهران، کوشش، 1373؛ در 512 ص؛
عنوان: موکل خطرناک؛ نویسنده: جان گریشام؛ مترجم: محمد قصاع؛ تهران، البرز، 1373؛ در 472 ص؛:
عنوان: موکل؛ نویسنده: جان گریشام؛ مترجم: قیطاس مردانی راد؛ تهران، سروش، 1376؛ در 623 ص؛
Doug Cannon
Feb 13, 2008 rated it it was ok
Grisham has a way of writing a real page-turner. This was one of those books that I just couldn't put down. The suspense was intense, and the story was good.

When I finished the last page, and I finally did put it down, I couldn't help thinking I had just wasted my time. I mean, I was thoroughly entertained for every minute of the book, but when I was done, I was left with nothing but the memories of my entertainment.

Good book, excellent author, but lacking in anything real. I've read 4 Grisham n
Patrick
Feb 18, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The book tells of a boy who happens upon a mob lawyer who commits suicide. But before he commits suicide, he divulges information on where the body of the murdered Senator was hidden by his mob boss. Fearing reprisal by the mob or the FBI for lying, he hires a lawyer to get him out of this mess.

I only slightly dislike this book because the premise of the book is weak. I could not get over the fact that the kid could have avoided the whole suspense by telling the FBI the truth about the body of
Stephen Robert Collins
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this before the move was made. This the perfect example of how very much American laws & justices system is so different from British law special with children.
This an excellent crime court room drama that only Grisham could write as he was trained court lawyer which is needed to get the facts dead right. After all you need how to crack eggs to make an omelette you would not expect a bricklayer to try to make a swimming pool on upstairs flat.
This like all his books twists & turns
Suzanne
Apr 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
This was just what I wanted, a quick read, some action and a good fast paced storyline. So what if the hero was a 10 year old boy, I enjoyed it! My attention was held throughout, which is my sign of a good read, and the main characters were all likeable. Mark and Reggie were loveable in their own ways, and it was fun seeing the youngster outsmart the thugs and the FBI. I highly recommend this book if you're after an easy read.
Lili  Marcus
Aug 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reread, legal-fiction
It all started when Mark Sway (11) took his younger brother Ricky (8) in a secluded part of a park to teach him how to smoke. They were just doing their business when a shiny car arrived and apparently the driver was trying to kill himself and did so by the end. Suddenly Mark along with his brother(who suffers a trauma) became witnesses of not only a suicide of a well-known lawyer, but Mark knows more than that. This is a story of an 11-year old boy caught up in a legal drama too big for himsel ...more
Michael Finocchiaro
I remember when Grisham books were all the rage and surely read this one back in the day but honestly, I remember almost nothing about it. I believe it was your typical adult thriller but with almost no sex (this was the 80s after all) and just the typical jumping the shark kinds of hijinks. I know it because both a film and a TV series based on the idea of toxic waste by powerful companies and the way they attack whistleblowers and that is all great but I honestly don't recall being blown away ...more
Natalie Vellacott
May 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, john-grisham
The Law, the Mob, a murder - and the mind of an eleven year old child...

Mark Sway and his younger brother Ricky set off to a secret location to sneak a quick smoke. They hear noises and realise they aren't alone. A vehicle arrives and a man in a business suit begins apparently attempting to kill himself by allowing the exhaust fumes to fill his car. The two young boys watch in horror as they realise what is happening. Mark decides to intervene...

I kept reading this to confirm the ending which wa
Neja
Oct 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime
I like every book that Grisham wrote, period. This story is about a crazy, just horrible dilemma. Didn't like the movie…but hey, movies are almost always worse than a book, because they cut out a lot of stuff, they change the story plus, you don't have your own imagination portrayed in a movie.
Cwwj
Jun 28, 2010 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Cwwj by: No one
Caution: spoiler.

I always like Grisham's books in spite of the cartoonish political spin (Republicans uniformly evil; Democrats caring, sensitive, kind). This, his fourth book, was surely not one of his best, but only because there is a mile-wide hole in the plot. The solution to the dilemma of little Mark -- who possesses the secret of where the Senator's body is buried
-- was so overwhelmingly clear within the first 100 pages that each successive machination of Reggie's, each attempt to protec
Rebecca McNutt
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've got the film of this on VHS, but it was only recently that I read the book. is my favourite John Grisham book so far, and instead of just the usual legal thriller, an unexpected kid is caught up in the mystery of a shocking crime.
Pablo Donetch
¡Ya terminé con John Grisham! ¡No más! No soporto más. Pero no soy mal agradecido: Grisham me dió grandes momentos literarios... de los que ya no me acuerdo. Porque Grisham es eso, historias efímeras, entretenidas de las que no queda nada, se deshacen como arena en los dedos.
El Cliente cuenta la historia de un niño que es testigo junto a su hermano de como un gordo abogado aparca su automóvil para quitarse la vida con los gases del escape. El niño intenta deconectar la manguera, pero el abogado
John
Apr 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
The Client is about an eleven year old named Mark Sway and his little brother Ricky witnessing a suicide. Before the man killed himself he told Mark information about a murder case that was being looked at. Marks brother goes into shock from the suicide and he has to stay in the hospital for a while. Mark does not know if he should tell the FBI the information he received or not because he is scared for his family’s lives and his own. The Client takes place in a small town in Memphis. Mark is a ...more
Salymar
Jul 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
“You advised him not to get a lawyer, giving as one of your reasons the opinion that lawyers are a pain in the ass. Gentlemen, the pain is here." -Reggie Love, The Client

At first, I wasn't quite attached to this book because the first few chapters are kind of dull but, when I reached Chapter 3 (probably the chapter where the story begins to unfold) it gets more and more thrilling! It got me on the edge of my seat!
Also , I loved the characters, first the protagonist, an eleven-year-old boy named
Corey
Jan 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was my very first book that I've read by John Grisham, and I absolutely loved it, I really like his writing style and the book just really seems to drag you right into the story. I had never heard of Grisham until I had seen the movie The Client with Susan Sarandon and Tommy Lee Jones, and I've watched the movie several times, and my mom told me that the movie was based on a novel by John Grisham and she said he writes courtroom dramas. The book was excellent and very easy to follow, great ...more
Abram
May 01, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
My Rating: 1/5

Everyone recommended John Grisham. So I bought The Client. The reviews for the books have been mostly positive. So I thought that this is a good read but It isn't. I couldn't go more that four chapters of the book. I tried again and again but It's just not good, So you know.....

So, This is a bad book. I won't recommend it to anybody. Thank you.
Linh
Feb 23, 2009 rated it did not like it
Nancy Steinle gummel
I had seen the movie years ago so I had a general idea about the book. The book is so much better than the movies. The book goes into so much more detail. It's so life like with the Mob element and how devious the goverment is when trying to pursue their agenda.
Ravi Prakash
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
After a very long time, I read a crime-suspense novel. It didn't meet my expectations. I think the plot is over-streched and taking an eleven year old boy as a smart hero who got all his talent by watching movies seems somewhat unbelievable. The author could take a teenager on his place. The end of the novel makes you fool asking the question, "why did I waste so much time?"
Naddy
Apr 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know why once in a year i crave for John Grisham may be because i started reading The Firm as first book, but couldn't complete due to some lame excuses or reasons. So, i picked The Client,

The Client will kick-start after 10 pages, you can predict the plot in 20 pages unless you don't read what is written on the back of book. By 30 pages you will find it very difficult to put down.

It is tale of a 11 year old boy Mark Sway who met a mob lawyer who was about to commit suicide. But before
Andre Gonzalez
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another thrilling ride from Grisham. I had a hard time putting this book down. The story just became more wild as it progressed!
Keegan
Sep 17, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
I really like this movie and watched it before I'd ever read the book. But I remembered that this was one of the few cases where I liked both the book and the movie even where they didn't match up. I don't know that I'll read it again ever though because I did like the movie better this time around. I liked that there were just the three primary characters, for instance. And I admit that I liked that Foltrigg (while still being a loud mouth) wasn't quite the moron he is in the book-- but I'm sur ...more
Horace Derwent
May 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I clearly remember the scene in Black Hawk Down, that soldier(forgotten the name and the actor's name, Tom Hardy maybe), he popped into chopper cabin, holding this book, a paperback edition with the cover

This scene engraved in my mind more than the Joel Schumacher film did

That soldier was one of the 18 casualties :(

Patrick
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
The youtube audio is incomplete...don't waste your time. The recording is missing roughly three hours of the novel. What I read is vintage Grisham, gotta find another version. Feel like I lost a pet.
Nicholas Villazon
Oct 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
So in the beginning of the story their is these two boys that are brothers and this take place around the 1960's and these two brothers ricky and mark are smokers that are bad boys. so one day they decide to go in the forest and later seems to find something that they couldnt believe . Finds out that once they stumble upon the woods they see a man trying to kill him self. as the look to see who it is the man that is trying to kill him self see them and catches one of the brothers and stick him i ...more
Ksenia Anske
Oct 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A story I followed breathlessly from page one until I remembered that I was supposed to figure out its plot and all that jazz. I forgot. I got sucked in. I don't remember the last time I was so engrossed. An eleven-year old kid against lawyers and FBI and mafia. And one very dead body hidden in a secret place. And everyone trying to find the body. And the kid and the killer the only ones who know where it's at. What's not to like? One of those books you want to swallow in one sitting.
CD
this is the book that made me not read any more of his books. It's like he woke up one morning and said, I'm done. He left countless threads unraveled. He dropped ideas. the ending was unbelievable and abrupt. All in all what could have been an amazing book was such a disappointment that it made me avoid him because I was so angry he wasted my time.
Rebecca Forster
Oct 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love Grisham's early work especially. Characterization is always uppermost in my mind and he does a great job. Read it awhile back and then took it on vacation again to read. That is my highest endorsement.
UCAS English 11 R...: November Reading Assignment 1 2 Nov 30, 2018 09:05PM
UCAS English 10 H...: November Reading Assignment 1 3 Dec 11, 2017 09:24AM
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Lord of the Flies
  • Outbreak (Dr. Marissa Blumenthal, #1)
  • The Burden of Proof
  • The Apocalypse Watch
  • Judge & Jury
  • The Judge (Paul Madriani #4)
  • The Winner
  • The Day the President Was Shot: The Secret Service, the FBI, a Would-Be Killer, and the Attempted Assassination of Ronald Reagan
  • Eyes of a Child (Christopher Paget, #3)
  • The General's Daughter
  • Disclosure
  • First Among Equals
  • The 13th Juror (Dismas Hardy, #4)
  • Patriot Games (Jack Ryan, #1; Jack Ryan Universe, #2)
"Long before his name became synonymous with the modern legal thriller, he was working 60-70 hours a week at a small Southaven, Mississippi law practice, squeezing in time before going to the office and during courtroom recesses to work on his hobby—writing his first novel.

Born on February 8, 1955 in Jonesboro, Arkansas, to a construction worker and a homemaker, John Grisham as a child dreamed of
“It's amazing how lies grow. You start with a small one that seems easy to cover, then you get boxed in and tell another one. Then another. People believe you at first, then they act upon your lies, and you catch yourself wishing you'd simply told the truth.” 38 likes
-Reggie Love”