The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 20.3- Best Review Contest: chucklesthescot's task- Frosty the Snowman

Comments Showing 1-50 of 80 (80 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dlmrose (last edited Dec 02, 2010 09:32AM) (new)

Dlmrose | 18132 comments Mod
20.3 Best Review Contest:chucklesthescot’s task-Frosty the Snowman"

In Christmas films we often see snowmen magically coming to life. For this task, read a book where a magical transformation takes place using any of these scenarios:
~ human turning into animal-ie dog, cat, wolf (werewolf), bird etc. Book examples- Fluke, Bitten.
~ human into other human-ie boy into girl, parent into child etc. Book example: Freaky Friday.
~ human into mythical creature/monster-ie demon, zombie, vampire, or ghost. Book example: Some Girls Bite.
~ human discovers previously unknown powers: god, witch, wizard, or superhero. Book example: The Lightning Thief, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.
~ inanimate object comes to life- ie gargoyle, mannequin, statue etc.

Optional: Tell us which creature would you most like to turn into and why?

message 2: by chucklesthescot (last edited Dec 10, 2010 06:23AM) (new)

chucklesthescot Yes you can use....
-storybook characters coming to life in our world
-people who are part human,part creature ie mermaids, dhampirs

ACCEPTED BOOKS:
Firelight, Inkheart,Orlando, The Lost Hero, The Eyre Affair, Lost in a Good Book, The Well of Lost Plots, Something Rotten, The Red Pyramid, Beastly, Goddess of the Sea, Divine By Mistake, The Gargoyle, Hello Gorgeous!, Bearing an Hourglass, The Orphan, Beast Behaving Badly

message 3: by chucklesthescot (last edited Dec 10, 2010 06:23AM) (new)

chucklesthescot No you can't use...
-people entering a story or book if they do not transform in some way
-book characters moving into other books and poems

REJECTED BOOKS:
The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake, Assassin's Apprentice

message 4: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 18132 comments Mod
This thread is open!

message 5: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments What about a Thursday Next novel where a storybook character can come to life or people can enter a novel?

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7855 comments yay!! i'm probably going to use Go Fetch! - human into wolf! I was trying to find a place for it!

message 7: by chucklesthescot (last edited Dec 02, 2010 09:49AM) (new)

chucklesthescot Kathryn wrote: "What about a Thursday Next novel where a storybook character can come to life or people can enter a novel?"

People entering a novel isn't really transforming into a different form so I'd say no to that. But a storybook character coming to life I'll say yes to. Hope that is helpful for you Kathryn!

message 8: by Liz (new)

Liz I'm considering Firelight if it's accepted.

chucklesthescot Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "yay!! i'm probably going to use Go Fetch! - human into wolf! I was trying to find a place for it!"

Great! One satisfied customer! *grins*

message 10: by chucklesthescot (new)

chucklesthescot Liz wrote: "I'm considering Firelight if it's accepted."

Yes, that's fine. Sounds like an interesting book!

message 11: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7855 comments i'm easy to please! (for the most part)

chucklesthescot wrote: "Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "yay!! i'm probably going to use Go Fetch! - human into wolf! I was trying to find a place for it!"

Great! One satisfied customer! *grins*"

message 12: by Petra (new)

Petra chucklesthescot wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "What about a Thursday Next novel where a storybook character can come to life or people can enter a novel?"

People entering a novel isn't really transforming into a different form so I'd say no to that. But a storybook character coming to life I'll say yes to. Hope that is helpful for you Kathryn! ..."

I was going to ask about this series, too, specifically Lost in a Good Book. The synopsis speaks of entering Beatrix Potter's Tale of the Flopsy Bunnies. Would this specific book work for this task?

message 13: by chucklesthescot (new)

chucklesthescot Sorry Petra, the character of Thursday does not actually go through a physical transformation herself, from this description. People going into a storybook does not work for this task.

A storybook character coming out of the book and into our world is acceptable as this counts as an inanimate object coming to life. ie Inkheart

message 14: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments I am a bit confused as to where that leaves this series. I know that in the first one (the one I am currently reading) story book characters come out of the book. Can anyone tell me about the other books in the series and if the books in this series would fit?

message 15: by chucklesthescot (new)

chucklesthescot Kathryn wrote: "I am a bit confused as to where that leaves this series. I know that in the first one (the one I am currently reading) story book characters come out of the book. Can anyone tell me about the other..."

Give me a few minutes and I'll check out the Goodreads descriptions of the books and I'll get back to you.

message 16: by Wendy UK (new)

Wendy  UK (wendyuk) | 756 comments Does Orlando work? He is different people at different times in history, sometimes male and sometimes female. But I don't think there's any magical transformation scene, so perhaps it's not what you're looking for?

message 17: by Rachel Lee (new)

Rachel Lee (rlcwt9) | 271 comments I am assuming The Lost Hero would work?

message 18: by chucklesthescot (new)

chucklesthescot Rachel Lee wrote: "I am assuming The Lost Hero would work?"

Yeah this is fine

message 19: by chucklesthescot (new)

chucklesthescot Wendy UK wrote: "Does Orlando work? He is different people at different times in history, sometimes male and sometimes female. But I don't think there's any magical transformation scene, so perhaps it'..."

It's hard to tell from the description but if he is sometimes a man and sometimes a woman at different parts of the book then yes that would be fine.

message 20: by chucklesthescot (last edited Dec 02, 2010 10:35AM) (new)

chucklesthescot Kathryn, I had a look at the Thursday Next books and the descriptions aren't too clear on who comes out of the books and who is inside them.

Book 4 Something Rotten mentions Prince Hamlet staying with Thursday's mum so this book is fine. If someone can confirm which books a literary character comes out of to our world then I'll make a decision on each book. Characters moving between books and poems don't count. The character must come into our world.

message 21: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 572 comments Does the person/creature have to discover their additional nature in the book? Or can they already know they are a werewolf/shape-shifter/etc when it starts?

message 22: by chucklesthescot (new)

chucklesthescot Christine US wrote: "Does the person/creature have to discover their additional nature in the book? Or can they already know they are a werewolf/shape-shifter/etc when it starts?"

They can already know what they are. I'll be using one like that for my own reading!

message 23: by Christina (new)

Christina (stinalynne04) Does it have to be the main character of the book that has the transformation, or can it be any character in the book?

message 24: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3029 comments Can I use the Mercedes Thompson books? Main character is a shapeshifter and turns into a wolf plus there are other characters that are wolves.

message 25: by Erin (NY) (new)

Erin (NY) (erin_p) | 629 comments Can I use The Red Pyramid?
or how about Sookie Stackhouse series? (there are shapeshifters in it)

message 26: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments chucklesthescot wrote: "Kathryn, I had a look at the Thursday Next books and the descriptions aren't too clear on who comes out of the books and who is inside them.

Book 4 Something Rotten mentions Prince H..."

That is actually great because that is the one I was trying to fit into this task! Thanks so much!!!

message 27: by Petra (new)

Petra KatieDE wrote: "chucklesthescot wrote: "Kathryn, I had a look at the Thursday Next books and the descriptions aren't too clear on who comes out of the books and who is inside them.

I've read books 1 & 2 from the Thursday Next series. In book 1, both Jane Eyre and Mr. Rochester come out of Jane Eyre... In book 2, Miss Havisham comes out of Great Expectations multiple times -- she's Thursday's mentor. As far as who goes into the books, typically just Thursday, although her uncle, her aunt, her archnemesis and a little lady from Japan also travel into books. ."

Thanks, Katie.

From this description, does Book 2 (Lost in a Good Book) work? If not, that's okay, too.

message 28: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments Two related questions - will any of the Percy Jackson books work or only The Lightning Thief, because that is where he first discovers his powers AND will any vampire book do, or just one where a character first becomes a vampire, I'm consideringBlood Oath... Thanks!

message 29: by Wendy UK (new)

Wendy  UK (wendyuk) | 756 comments chucklesthescot wrote: " Wendy UK wrote: "Does Orlando work? He is different people at different times in history, sometimes male and sometimes female. But I don't think there's any magical transformation sc..."

He/she is, but it's not like fantasy or magic - I think it's Virginia Woolf's way of showing different aspects of one person's life and personality.

message 30: by Riona (new)

Riona (rionafaith) Wendy UK wrote: "chucklesthescot wrote: " Wendy UK wrote: "Does Orlando work? He is different people at different times in history, sometimes male and sometimes female. But I don't think there's any m..."

Ooh, I hope Orlando works. I've been meaning to read it for years.

message 31: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7855 comments I really like the Mercedes Thompson series...but fyi - she turns into a coyote, also called a skinwalker I think, not a wolf...but Adam is a wolf! ;)

Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Can I use the Mercedes Thompson books? Main character is a shapeshifter and turns into a wolf plus there are other characters that are wolves."

message 32: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments would Shiver or Linger work here? i think there are werewolves involved? thanks! :)

message 33: by Robin (new)

Robin (rgage) | 192 comments would Undead and Unwed be okay as human to vampire?

message 34: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3029 comments Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "I really like the Mercedes Thompson series...but fyi - she turns into a coyote, also called a skinwalker I think, not a wolf...but Adam is a wolf! ;)

Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Can I use th..."

She still turns into an animal :)

message 35: by chucklesthescot (new)

chucklesthescot Christina wrote: "Does it have to be the main character of the book that has the transformation, or can it be any character in the book?"

It can be any character that is important to the story-if the character isn't mentioned in the goodreads description of the book, put a note in when you post your task to help the mods!

message 36: by chucklesthescot (new)

chucklesthescot Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Can I use the Mercedes Thompson books? Main character is a shapeshifter and turns into a wolf plus there are other characters that are wolves."

Yeah you can use these-great books!

message 37: by chucklesthescot (last edited Dec 03, 2010 03:10AM) (new)

chucklesthescot Erin (NY) wrote: "Can I use The Red Pyramid?
or how about Sookie Stackhouse series? (there are shapeshifters in it)"

Both of these are fine. I like the sound of The Red Pyramid!

message 38: by chucklesthescot (new)

chucklesthescot Cindy AL wrote: "Two related questions - will any of the Percy Jackson books work or only The Lightning Thief, because that is where he first discovers his powers AND will any vampire book do, or just ..."

Percy Jackson has already been approved in the task description so yes any of those books are fine, and it can be any vampire book. Enjoy!

message 39: by chucklesthescot (new)

chucklesthescot kiki wrote: "would Shiver or Linger work here? i think there are werewolves involved? thanks! :)"

Yes!

message 40: by chucklesthescot (new)

chucklesthescot Robin wrote: "would Undead and Unwed be okay as human to vampire?"

Yes!

message 41: by chucklesthescot (new)

chucklesthescot KatieDE wrote: "chucklesthescot wrote: "Kathryn, I had a look at the Thursday Next books and the descriptions aren't too clear on who comes out of the books and who is inside them.

Book 4 [book:Something Rotte..."

If all the books have characters coming into the real world, then yes I'll approve the books. Please mention when you are posting your task which characters cross over in case the moderater isn't familiar with the books

message 42: by chucklesthescot (new)

chucklesthescot Petra wrote: "KatieDE wrote: "chucklesthescot wrote: "Kathryn, I had a look at the Thursday Next books and the descriptions aren't too clear on who comes out of the books and who is inside them.

I've read bo..."

Petra, you can use this book! Hurrah!

message 43: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 314 comments I'm re-reading The Dark Divine for this task since The Lost Saint is coming out soon and I have it slotted in another task. Humans to werewolves.

message 44: by chucklesthescot (new)

chucklesthescot This one is on my 'want to get' list!

message 45: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Considering Beastly which is a Beauty & the Beast modern tale. A movie is in the works (or already has been aired) based on the book.

Or I may read any of the Goddess Summoning series (Goddess of the Sea) or the Divine By Mistake series all by P.C. Cast.

message 46: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 314 comments Tanja wrote: "Considering Beastly which is a Beauty & the Beast modern tale. A movie is in the works (or already has been aired) based on the book.

Or I may read any of the Goddess Summoning ser..."

I couldn't get into Beastly. I don't know why.

message 47: by Christina (new)

Christina (stinalynne04) How about The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake ? The little girl in the story finds out that she can taste her mothers feelings when she eats the cake.

message 48: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments yeay, thanks! :)

message 49: by chucklesthescot (new)

chucklesthescot Tanja wrote: "Considering Beastly which is a Beauty & the Beast modern tale. A movie is in the works (or already has been aired) based on the book.

Or I may read any of the Goddess Summoning ser..."

All of these options are good for this task. Enjoy!

message 50: by chucklesthescot (new)

chucklesthescot Christina wrote: "How about The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake ? The little girl in the story finds out that she can taste her mothers feelings when she eats the cake."

I'd have to say no to this one as she doesn't transform into a different being. Sorry!

« previous 1