Start by marking “Freaky Friday” as Want to Read:
Freaky Friday

Freaky Friday

(Andrews Family #1)

Annabel thinks her mom has the best life. If she were a grown-up, she could do whatever she wanted! Then one morning she wakes up to find she’s turned into her mother…and she soon discovers it’s not as easy as it looks!

Disney brings this popular and funny favorite to the silver screen in a new, totally modern story, starring Jamie Lee Curtis and Lindsay Lohan.
154 pages
Published (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Freaky Friday, please sign up.
Misbah No. Annoying characters and a bland story.

Miranda Reads
Nov 07, 2017 rated it did not like it
Oh Good Lawd. Just watch the movie.

Annabel (the greasy-haired, fashion-missing daughter) is absolutely in love - like horribly, painfully cringe-worthy hero worship love - with her mother's life.

But, like most teenagers...she never listens to her mother's sage advice, gentle chastises and constructive criticism. Because reasons. Instead, she decides to spend her teen years with unkempt hair and terrible clothes.

After one particularly awful fight, her mother does a little bit of behind-the-scen
Carlos De Eguiluz
Así que esto es lo que está pasando...
Compré este libro por Amazon hace no más de un mes, y para ser franco, lo hice porque era mi deber, ya que la película —del año 2003, interpretada por Lindsay Lohan y Jamie Lee Curtis— era una de mis favoritas cuando apenas era un pequeño feto-renacuajo de cinco años de edad, so... se lo debía a mi inexistente infancia.
Volviendo un poco más al tópico de esto, leí la novela porque... no lo sé, sólo sé que lo hice, y me alegro mucho de haberlo hecho, dado que
Melki
I found this well-loved ex-library book on the dollar table at a used bookstore. That Edward Gorey cover just screamed "Buy me!" Plus, it was, well, you know - a buck.

I've never seen either film version, but I'm familiar enough with the plot to know that at NO point in my life would I have EVER wanted to switch places with my mother.
(Though, on closer examination, in my illustrious career as a homemaker/housewife, it seems I have done exactly that. Damn! That sucks.)

Rodgers used a kind of whiny,
This book was okay. I haven't ever watched the original movie with Jodie Foster but the remake with Lindsey Lohan was much better than this book.

I was a little hesitant to pick this book up when I read that it had been published in the seventies but apart from some old slang words, it was pretty much the same as a newer book. I felt like this book just pushed its message across too hard. It was so obvious that Mary Rodgers was trying to show kids that mothers do a lot and children should respec
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Samantha Clanton, aka "Harlequin Twilight" for TeensReadToo.com

I don't know about anyone else, but whenever I hear the words Freaky and Friday, I automatically think back to Lindsay Lohan and Jamie Lee Curtis circa 2003. But this is a different FREAKY FRIDAY, the original, the better of the two in my opinion (I know there was another movie version in the 70s, but I've not seen it in years, and don't remember much about it besides Jodie Foster). This is the story of Annabel and Ellen
Rebecca McNutt
I'm not always on-board with Disney films, but one that I really liked in junior high school was the 1976 Jodie Foster film Freaky Friday. It was only recently that I discovered it was based on a middle-grade children's novel. The story of a prim and proper mother and her willful, precocious teen daughter, Freaky Friday is funny, weird and surprisingly insightful.
Marisa Bisaccia [book whisperer]
Okay so I read this book for a reading challenge otherwise I would of never read it and just enjoyed my memories of the movie. This book wasn't written that great in my opinion and I felt like more of the story was played out in the movie which, made it more interesting. Odd for me to say that because, usually the book is always better. Guess it wasn't the issue in this case.
Pam Baddeley
This is a quick page-turning read which was first published in 1973 and by 1976 had been made into a film starring Jodie Foster in the title role, as shown by the cover of the film-tie-in 1976 Puffin edition which I picked up second hand quite recently.

The book gives us a first person narrative of one day in the life of 13-year-old Annabel Andrews who wakes up in the body of her thirty-five year old mother after an argument where she complains about not being allowed to have responsiblity for he
Emily Potter
Oct 27, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is a no no. I LOVE the 1970's movie. My siblings and I grew up on it. But I just dragged myself to the end of the book this week. I wanted to weep. Books shouldn't be that bad. It gave me hope, though, that perhaps one of the books I'm writing can be as bad as this and still get picked up by Disney and made into a classic movie. Sorry Mary Rodgers.
Philip
Dad: Starting out, how many stars do you guys want to give the book?

Eleanor: 5!

Gwen: 5!

Poppy: 6!

Gwen: Wait, I mean, 4.

Poppy: SEH-VEN!

Eleanor: You can't give it 7, Poppy. You can only give it 5.

Dad: Have I ever made an executive decision before? I'm giving it 3 stars. And there's nothing you can do about it.

Eleanor: Really? You're giving it really three stars?

Dad: Ahhh...

Gwen: Well, it's a little less than 4.

El: And way less than 5.

Poppy: Or a lot of money.

Dad: I want you to know that I heard how
Jessie
Jul 09, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I saw the movie when it first came out and thought it was great but the book...not so much. This is one of those few times where the movie is better than the book.
Rebekah
Wow. Just wow. I get that it is dealing with the daily life of a mother and daughter in 1972 by someone who was a young woman in the 50's. But wow. At some point Annabelle herself calls somebody a misogynistic pig or something. And it wasn't the role of housewife at all I take issue with, but the attitude towards her. Granted it was the daughter as mother saying she, herself, was dumb, but also the husband and the way he spoke to her sometimes. And that awful cleaning woman.

I also thought this
Melanie
May 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
I preferred the movie, but the book was cute too, at times. A bit too juvenile for my tastes, but I can't hold that against the book. It was interesting how the story differed from the movie in a big way (didn't expect that!).
Inn Auni
I watched the 2003 movie and was expecting the book will be the same. It was an adaptation after all. I did not know why I kept believing that scriptwriter wouldn't change a thing and followed the book by the hook.

The book was in Annabelle's pov. She woke up in her mother's body and have to take her roll. Her real body however was missing. Instead of being in her own awkward teenage body, with teeth covered in braces, she's in her mother's gorgeous body and the more reason for Boris, her childho
Lara Mi

“I don't look like her. I wish I did. Well, today I do, and it's a great improvement!”

Freaky Friday is certainly not the most sophisticated book but it fulfilled its purpose of keeping me entertained for a while. In fact, it did not last me for as long as I hoped it would. Not necessarily because it was gripping but because the lettering was rather large for an already short book.

I have seen the film several years back – I cannot remember it well enough to say which I preferred but they were
Arminzerella
I’d seen the movies before, but had never read the book on which they were based. It’s hysterical. After a terrible fight with her mother, Annabel Andrews wakes up one morning and realizes that they’ve switched bodies! Actually, she can’t tell if her mom’s in her body because her body is still totally acting like her, so she figures her mom is off somewhere else enjoying someone else’s body. Annabel’s excited to be her mom, until all sorts of things start going wrong, until her brother Ape Face ...more
Charlie Drape
Jan 15, 2012 rated it did not like it
Come on Mary Rodgers? You can do better than this. I do not recommend this book to anyone that is a human being on this here planet earth. A young girl wakes up one morning and she turns into her mother, and the mother turns into the daughter? This is incredibly unrealistic and Charles Drape does not dig unrealistic books. Alright, I might be exaggerating that a little bit, I like unrealistic books that are actually entertaining. This doesn't happen often and it is honestly incredibly sad when i ...more
Lisa Rathbun
Aug 11, 2011 rated it did not like it
I didn't like this at all. In a way, it was almost didactic - the mother switchies bodies with her daughter to teach her daughter a lesson; daughter realizes how wrong she has been. It was also VERY dated, including a couple slang terms for other races (some expressed by the cleaning lady whom Annabel fires). The humor was way off to me; a phone conversation between the main character and the police was so bad it was excrutiating to read. Also, in my version the cover art shows Lindsay Lohan and ...more
Joana
May 04, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So basically Anna thinks her mom is ruining her life. 1 morning they switched body. Now Anna is in her moms body and her mom is in her daughter body. They each found out its not easy being each other.
Naomi Collier
May 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read this as a child- multiple times. I don't know that I want to read it again as an adult. I have a feeling I'll be disappointed, but at the time I really enjoyed this book. I can't even remember how old I was; probably tween to early teen years.
Claire
Aug 13, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No
I love reading young adult books, but this book would have to be excluded from the list. I would argue that I liked the movie more........and yes, I am willing to admit that I watched the movie. The whole concept of the story is interesting, but that is about all this book has.
Christine
I read the 1970s version, in the seventies.
Amie
Jul 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
a light cute read; I read this in high school. (the movie that came out a couple of years ago with Lindsey Lohan and Jamie Lee Curtis is pretty well done too)
1labriah
Apr 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a pretty cool book. Sometimes I wish it happened to my mother and I so she should understand what teens really go through these days because she swears she already knows.
Lisa
Jul 28, 2008 rated it did not like it
Picked this up at a used book sale because it looked interesting. Not as good as the Lindsay Lohan movie so far.
Sara
Mar 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Read as a kid. Liked it, liked the movie. (the Jody Foster one)
Realini
Oct 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Freaky Friday, based on the novel by Mary Rodgers
Eight out of 10

Some could dismiss this comedy as absurd, with a preposterous premise that does not contribute in any way to our betterment, a film that has nothing of the meaning offered by Dr. Strangelove or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb and Monty Python’s Life of Brian, to name just a couple of comic masterpieces.

However, Freaky Friday does invite you to think, if not sink deep in meditation, about the differences between pare
Veronica Baldwin
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: controversial
When I came across this book on the banned books list I was shocked because I never realized that Freaky Friday was a book before it was a movie and why it would be banned if it's based on the Disney movie. This book was released almost 50 years ago and was rarely ever challenged until the 2000's. It was challenged because of a few sentences within the book that referenced killing in a description of the school principal. The challenge on the book was placed because people had concerns that it w ...more
Willow Redd
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've seen just about every version of the movie adaptations of this book, but have never had the opportunity to read the original story until now. This particular copy was left in my Little Free Library, where it will return now that I've read it so another reader can find and enjoy this fantastic story.

Minus the more fantastical elements of the 1976 movie version (no water-skiing/driving mishaps here), the story is similar, Annabelle wakes up one Friday morning to find herself in her mother's b
Hannah
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: movies
I definitely preferred the movie.
The book was fine, though there was some sketchy content which surprised me, as this is a children's book.
Even so I'm glad that I have familiarized myself with both book and movie.
Is it nice? 1 9 May 31, 2012 08:13PM
  • The Fall of the Athenian Empire
  • Goldilocks & Three Bears: Bears Should Share!
  • George W. Bushisms: The Slate Book of Accidental Wit and Wisdom of Our 43rd President
  • Brigadoon (Vocal Score)
  • A Bolt from the Blue and Other Essays
  • Lisa and David
  • The Mojo Collection: The Ultimate Music Companion
  • Molière: A Biography
  • Novels, 1930-1942: Dance Night / Come Back to Sorrento / Turn, Magic Wheel / Angels on Toast / A Time to Be Born
  • Extravagance
  • My Lai 4: A Report on the Massacre and Its Aftermath
  • Gidget (Gidget series, #1)
  • The Art of Fiction
  • The Holy Barbarians
  • My Life As Author And Editor
  • Monsieur Proust
  • Pushkin: A Biography
  • Memoirs of General W.T. Sherman
Mary Rodgers was an accomplished author, screenwriter and composer. Her first book--Freaky Friday--won several prizes, and was cited on the ALA Notable Book list. She composed many musicals, and had also amassed credits in television and radio. She had served as Chairman of the Board of the Julliard School and on the Board of Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts.

Andrews Family (3 books)