Terminalcoffee discussion

General Fuckery > Pyjamas in public.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 152 (152 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) I think there is some sleep-walking disorder, that is very contagious, becoming epidemic in my town. People of all ages, mostly females aged 14-40, are appearing in public, in broad daylight mind you, wearing their pajamas! They all were obviously stricken with this disease sometime in the night as it seems to impair their good sense and self-care abilities most shockingly. There is no attempt by these poor victims at any kind of grooming, no hair brushing, no putting on of shoes other than bunny slippers or the ubiquitous flip-flop. One shudders to think if the teeth are even brushed. They really do seem to have rolled out of bed and hopped in car in search of...what? Then I wonder if the old adage of not waking a sleepwalker is true? Should one call an ambulance? The fashion police? I am mystified.

message 2: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Wal-Mart is a good place to see this in action. Or so I've heard ....

message 3: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Larry wrote: "Wal-Mart is a good place to see this in action. Or so I've heard ...."

Yep, I've seen it there too. One sees so many people's midsections and unbrassiered ta-ta's there that it's quite distracting. I try to only go there early on weekday mornings and only for very specific purchases. On weekends, it's truly alarming. The weirdos are on parade.

message 4: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 136 comments There is no sense of what is appropriate anymore. Pajamas in public is fine. As is wearing your pants 10 sizes too big so your behind is hanging out. Or, mostly among females, wearing your clothes too small so there really is nothing left to the imagination. I often wish I had been born in a different decade. I would love to see boys going to school wearing khakis or corduroys with collared shirts and nice sweaters. Girls could still wear dresses, just not ones that show the bottom of their butt cheeks. I just don't get "fashion" these days.

message 5: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
College campuses too.

message 6: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Kristina wrote: "There is no sense of what is appropriate anymore. Pajamas in public is fine. As is wearing your pants 10 sizes too big so your behind is hanging out. Or, mostly among females, wearing your clothe..."

Me neither. That guy on one of those cable shows calls it, "The slobbification of America." You don't have to be rich to be properly dressed.

message 7: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i don't even like opening the door in my pajamas and am usually fully clothed when i go out in public.

message 8: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (bonfiggi) I wouldn't go out in pajamas, but I don't give a hoot if someone else does. You can fill out a Wal-mart bingo card pretty fast on the week-end I bet.

message 9: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24358 comments Mod
I'm with you 100%, Leslie. It is unbearable. I don't see that much of it anymore since I'm not on a college campus and I've only been in a Walmart once, but when I do see it it rankles.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) What's sad is that there is such a thing as pajama jeans now.

message 11: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I've got nothing against people wearing pajamas in public. I can't control their behavior, I guess, and it doesn't impact me one way or the other...my eyes are not offended. Also, I'm used to college students showing up at my classes in their slippers and sweatpants. I'm just glad they show up.

message 12: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Stacia wrote: "What's sad is that there is such a thing as pajama jeans now.

"

They look pretty ok from the crotch down, but that fly is reprehensible.

message 13: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments What makes them different from regular jeans? Are they still made of denim? Or are they, like, pajama material?

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) They are pajama material, but have stitching on them to make them appear to be jeans.

message 15: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix (phoenixapb) | 1619 comments Hmmm...would you consider a t-shirt and track/yoga style pants deplorable? If so I am guilty as charged. Although I won't leave the house without brushing my hair and teeth, that's just nasty.
For the record, I'd wear the t-shirt and track pants to a store like Walmart, but not out to eat or to a school function.

message 16: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I think you are ok.

message 17: by Jonathan (last edited Nov 26, 2010 05:13PM) (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments My parents were always very strict about how my brother and I dressed and groomed ourselves and about things like addressing adults as sir and ma'am, etc. I think, to some degree, this was an over-reaction on their part to all the changes that were going on in society in the late '60s, early '70s, which they thought were basically the end of civilization.

Anyway, as a kid, I was never allowed to wear sneakers except when playing sports that required them and never owned a pair of blue jeans till I went away to school and could make these decisions for myself.

So on some level, I actually sympathize with people wanting to dress casually, since I was forbidden to do so for such a long time. On the other hand, I inevitably absorbed some of my parents' standards about these things and have to admit that I sometimes wonder what people are thinking when they present themselves in public--particularly in a professional situation--looking like they just finished a game of touch football at the playground.

message 18: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

My mother made me wear a dress every day in elementary school, except for one day a year when I could wear pants, and the one day annually we had an outdoor exercise jamboree, when I could wear shorts.

I once worked at a place where virtually everyone dressed casually every day (except for the director, hey, someone needs to look polished) - which is fine, except about a third of the employees would come to work in track suits. OH DEAR GOD. There was also this one girl who would wear daisy dukes a couple times a week, but I think she was Russian so we overlooked it (except behind her back, where we made sartorial observations).

message 19: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Alecia wrote: "Hmmm...would you consider a t-shirt and track/yoga style pants deplorable? If so I am guilty as charged. Although I won't leave the house without brushing my hair and teeth, that's just nasty.
Fo..."

Of course that's okay, that's completely different!

message 20: by Félix (last edited Nov 26, 2010 05:27PM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) Lobstergirl wrote: "My mother made me wear a dress every day in elementary school, except for one day a year when I could wear pants, and the one day annually we had an outdoor exercise jamboree, when I could wear sh..."

But that was, like, before they had electric lights in the schools, right? Did you have your braids dipped in the ink well?

message 21: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) There's a big difference between casual and pajamas right?

message 22: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Larry wrote: "Lobstergirl wrote: "My mother made me wear a dress every day in elementary school, except for one day a year when I could wear pants, and the one day annually we had an outdoor exercise jamboree, ..."

Don't be ridiculous, my pa would have taken a willow switch to anyone who did anything to my braids.

message 23: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) hee hee yeah

message 24: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix (phoenixapb) | 1619 comments I was just checking, cuz I also wear that to bed most of the time...not the same ones I wear to the store though.

message 25: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments For me, pajamas are indoors clothes. But I don't give a crap what other people wear. In fact, I'm a pretty firm believer that you should dress/groom/etc. however you want to. All rules for fasion are purely arbitrary anyway.

message 26: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Gosh, um, well. It was all in fun. I hope I don't get beat up. I didn't think anyone would be offended. I most humbly apologize for all my transgressions.

message 27: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Huh?

message 28: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

puts away truncheon

message 29: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Close call, Leslie.

message 30: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Sigh of relief.

message 31: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Speaking of close calls, I frequently sleep in a pair of sweatpants, and sometimes I leave the house in a different pair of sweatpants. I do brush my hair and teeth and put on underwear, so am I safe from tackiness?

message 32: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Is your underwear over, or under, the sweatpants?

message 33: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I've threatened to walk down the hall at work in a bathrobe, with fuzzy slippers, holding a toothbrush. Tenure rules.

I wear jeans outside if I'm not at work 99.9 percent of the time, at least in winter.

message 34: by Jammies (new)

Jammies LG, underwear is only underwear if it's under. If it's over, it's fashion. ;)

message 35: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) My grandkids (8 and 11) were telling us tonight that the photographer doing the school pictures was wearing pajama's. They were calling her lazy. Out of the mouths of children...

message 36: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

If that's true, that is extremely unprofessional and someone should've said something to her. Like a principal. But maybe she was wearing something like Eileen Fisher, which can be very loose clothes with a pajama-like fit.

message 37: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Apparently this is Conan wearing jeggings...

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Gross.

My 13 year old daughter has a pair of jeggings. They look really cute on her.

message 39: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Lobstergirl wrote: "Apparently this is Conan wearing jeggings...

"

Those are disturbing and so tight they must be unsanitary. However, I love the shoes.

message 40: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Leslie wrote: "Lobstergirl wrote: "Apparently this is Conan wearing jeggings...

"

Those are disturbing and so tight they must be unsanitary. However, I love the shoes."

Not only that, the neologism makes my soul writhe.

message 41: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments souls can writhe too? i always learn something new when i come here.

message 42: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Jeggings? What are jeggings? My eyes have been burned out by the picture in 38 so I can't do any research into the matter.

message 43: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Yeah, I think I figured that out, but I can't figure out why or who would wear them. I mean, hipster jeans have already gotten too tight as it is.

message 44: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments jean leggings are just the logical next step. and no way in hell i'm wearing them.

message 45: by Sally, la reina (new)

I love the look of skinny jeans on men like that. It accentuates the largeness of their shoes.
Trainspotting is one of my favorite movies for this reason.

message 46: by Sally, la reina (new)

PS: I'm wearing skinny jeans today and I'm SO proud of myself.

message 47: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Sally wrote: "I love the look of skinny jeans on men like that. It accentuates the largeness of their shoes.
Trainspotting is one of my favorite movies for this reason."

Shoes?

message 48: by Sally, la reina (new)

Just look at Conans! Not only are they enormous, they are obviously expensive.

message 49: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Oh so you really meant shoes.

message 50: by Jonathan (last edited Dec 10, 2010 12:17PM) (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Conan is an odd-looking guy. He used to be friends with someone who lived around the corner from me, and I would often see them sitting together on the stoop on 85th Street talking. Conan--obviously very tall and skinny--was usually wearing really tight jeans and fancy cowboy boots. Definitely caught your eye.

« previous 1 3 4