Urban Fantasy discussion

BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS > Looking for Recommendations: Real Witches

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Drake (elizabethdrake) Looking for recommendations for books about practicing witches (or wiccans) similar to the Circle of Three series by Isobel Bird or The Bast Series by Rosemary Edghill.

These books feature some aspects of fantasy but feature (fairly) realistic portrayals of practicing witches and what they study.

message 2: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 138 comments Like The Circle of Three series and The Bast series, these also are based on realistic portrayals of Witches and Witchcraft but have some fantasy involved as well.
M.R. Sellars Rowan Gant series, it starts with Harm None: A Rowan Gant Investigation
Cate Tiernan's Sweep series, starts with Book of Shadows
Yasmine Galenorn's Chintz 'n China series, starts with Ghost of a Chance
Mercedes Lackey's Diana Tregarde series, starts with Burning Water
S.D. Tooley's Sam Casey series, starts with When the Dead Speak

message 3: by Julia (new)

Julia | 615 comments Brunonia Barry lives in Salem, Massachusetts. Her two books The Lace Reader and The Map of True Places both have historical and current day witches.
Also look at The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane, which is also set in the Salem area.
The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe The Lace Reader with Bonus Material by Brunonia Barry The Map of True Places by Brunonia Barry

message 4: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 138 comments Julia wrote: "Also look at The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane, which is also set in the Salem area..."

How could I have forgotten that one? Definately a good read!

message 5: by Melissa (last edited Oct 18, 2010 11:05PM) (new)

Melissa Ng | 6 comments Not sure if you mind YA books, but there's a YA series about witches that is one of the best witch-series i've ever read: series is The Secret Circle by L.J. Smith, starting with the first book The Initiation (:

I can recommend some other adult series about witches:
1. Three Sisters Island trilogy by Nora Roberts, starting with Dance Upon the Air
2. Drake Sisters series by Christine Feehan, starting with Magic in the Wind (Drake Sisters, #1)
Though to be sure, these are more under the genre of romance but there's a fair amount of suspense and action and plenty of witchcraft [and hot guys] (:

message 6: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Drake (elizabethdrake) Thank you to everyone who has commented so far, I have already read:

Sellars
Tiernan
Barry
Howe (was reading that one when I originally posted this actually! lol)

Thanks for the other suggestions, I am going to start looking for some of those titles.

Oh, and Melissa, I have a profound respect and love for the people who read romance but I just can't do it. Which makes things tricky when you read paranormal fiction and shop online. I don't know how many times I have been a few chapters into a book only to realize it is a romance and have to stop reading it!

I don't mind YA but I tried LJ Smith and couldn't handle it. I am also an English teacher (jr high) and read it towards the end of reading YA for an entire summer and I may have reached my capacity for teenage characters and stupid teenage behavior and speech patterns before I reached The Initiation.

Thanks all, Keep them coming!!