Start by marking “Dance Upon the Air (Three Sisters Island, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dance Upon the Air (Three Sisters Island, #1)

Dance Upon the Air (Three Sisters Island #1)

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  57,904 Ratings  ·  1,591 Reviews
When Nell Channing arrives on charming Three Sisters Island, she believes that she’s finally found refuge from her abusive husband—and from the terrifying life she fled so desperately eight months ago… But even in this quiet, peaceful place, Nell never feels entirely at ease. Careful to conceal her true identity, she takes a job as a cook at the local bookstore café—and be ...more
Published August 2nd 2001 by Piatkus (first published June 2001)

jenjn79
Apr 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to jenjn79 by: random buy
I love this book. It was the first Nora Roberts novel I read and it got me hooked on her stuff.

I enjoyed every aspect of the book. One of my favorite parts is the simple, sort of true-blue romance between Nell and Zach. So often in romance novels these days the hero is a super-alpha, or a dark and brooding alpha or a tragic alpha - which there's nothing wrong with, I love a good alpha male; it's just nice to get some variety once in a while. And that's what Zach is. He's just your normal, nice g
Blacky *Romance Addict*

This book is absolutely wonderful <3

Beautiful romance, the whole mood of the book is swoony and feel-good (well,except for the abusive husband thing), but it made me happy from page one to last.

Maria Clara
Leer a Nora Roberts siempre es un acierto. Y, como no, en esta ocasión también lo ha sido. Me ha encantado leer de su pluma a las brujas modernas, con sus escobas y filtros y, también, el tema tan duro como es el maltrato.
Cyndi
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Took me awhile to like Zack. A few of his comments hit me wrong, especially when he asked her why she didn't just leave her abusive husband. Then her character went off track for me, too. She says she won't sleep with him because she is still legally married, then a few chapters later she jumping on him in the doorway.
But the story is wonderful! Full of magic and love. Also the two main characters become more likable in the end. 😁
BTW the audio is not great. She gives Nell a little girl voice
♥Rachel♥
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book, fantasy
4.5 Stars

This had a Sleeping With the Enemy vibe, you know that Julia Roberts' film from the 90's? I think this had a more lighthearted feel to it overall, but a similar concept. Loved everything from the setting of an East Coast island complete with lighthouse and witch-lore, to the food. Of course our lively heroine, who emerges from an abusive relationship, gets her confidence back, and falls in love was my favorite part. Zack, the irresistible Sheriff, came in at a close second.

Looking for
Cristina Leitón
Dec 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Si leer Romántica es ese pueblecito acogedor al que me escapo siempre que necesito confort, Nora Roberts es la casita con chimenea y una manta esperándome en ese pueblo. Sé que lea lo que lea suyo, sea mejor o peor, me va a gustar, entretener y llenar ese huequecito de mi parte lectora que disfruta como una niña con zapatos nuevos y brillantes. Y además, si la historia contiene magia ya me ha ganado para siempre.

Baile en el aire me ganó desde el principio. La idea de que tres brujas poderosas hi
Cathy

Enjoyable, but nothing more. It started off quite promising, because the basic premise of this is a Sleeping with the Enemy-type situation, which I'm kind of partial to.

I liked Nell and Zack, but it never went beyond liking; partly because I had trouble believing how easy it all seemed. I didn't buy the fact that she practically set up her own catering business in a matter of a week, previous experience or not. Catering a party with 100+ guests all by yourself while still working full-time elsew
Dee
This was an enjoyable read, a bit fluffy and very predictable......It is the same story as the movie 'Sleeping With The Enemy' mixed with the TV series 'Charmed' as these 3 sisters definitely have 'The Power of Three'
Ally
Oct 01, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nora Roberts fans
Recommended to Ally by: No-one :(
Shelves: 2008, re-read, 2010
I've just finished re-reading (for at least the fifth time) one of my favourite Nora Roberts books. Dance Upon The Air. Although I love this book for many different reasons, witches, love, century old curse, new friends etc etc.
The main female character Nell Channing is running away from her past. She's left her abusive husband tricking him and everyone else she knew into thinking she's dead.
She was known as Helen Remington. And as the story evolves so does the character. You see in a way as the
Jay
Okay so this rant review is a little long because I had to copy large chunks of text from the book to prove the hero is actually a colossal dickhead (as well as the real villain).

I read Dance Upon the Air last August. It was at the beginning of my gigantic romance phase and since I was naive and innocent back then, I gave it 3 stars thinking it was a bit boring but "not too bad".

Now I know better than to give this anything more than 1 star and aggressively tap my Kindle until it is deleted.

Our
Shawna
5 stars - Contemporary/Paranormal Romance

Loved this one! A wonderful, feel-good romance and Zack was such a swoony hero!
Μαρία Γεωργοπούλου
I read it for a second time while I was waiting for a book order to come and I have to say that I enjoyed it again so very much! Nora Roberts knows how to write a good book! The following review is from the first time I read it and I am not going to change anything!

That was a very nice story! And, really, what’s not to love? It has romance, witches and a beautiful scenery! I enjoyed every page of this book! Nora Roberts is a very talented author. I have to admit that while I was reading this boo
Marniy
Jan 08, 2011 rated it it was ok
About half way through this book. It's a fantasy romance about a woman who escapes an abusive marriage and starts a new life across the country.
She is very nervous, distrustful, and not interested in another relationship.
The thing that is disturbing me is that the romantic interest seems to be following in the same steps as a typical abuser; he doesn't listen to her when she says she doesn't want to be touched, he violates her personal space even though it scares her, and other dick moves.
Her hu
Marta Marlau
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4,5 estrellas para esta historia tan preciosa. Amor y magia, la mezcla perfecta. Contado de una manera sencilla y perfecta. Me han encantado los protagonistas y cómo se desarrolla todo. Estoy deseando leer la segunda parte.
The Tick
Ira
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
It’s a lovely story.
There is paranormal elements in here too but not too much.

Both hero and heroine are sweet:)
Jane Stewart
2 stars. Nothing new or interesting about witch powers or escaping an abusive husband.

I really liked The Witness and Angels Fall by this author. But this book was disappointing. The characters did not stand out. I felt like the author picked ordinary people to write about, and she just kept writing and writing. We see ordinary lives, working, making friends, having day to day conversations. The author is good at this. The conversations were interesting. But it didn’t make “a good story.” Nothi
missEvi [can't commit to a book]

Overall 3*

I love Nora Roberts. She is like comfort food when you want something easy and maybe a little cliche, without the classic chick-lit stupidity. In this case, I started the trilogy with low expectations. I just couldn't picture her writing with a touch of supernatural, but the high ratings convinced me. I am glad, because the magical element is just an aspect of the books, without the classical love potions that you would expect. The romance is sweet without magic being the reason. And m
Amy
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this romance. The main story line around a woman running from an abusive situation and finding a place to call home was just wonderful. I loved the characters, I loved the romance and I loved the little bit of witchcraft weaved into the story. Really eager to read the rest of the book s in the trilogy. This was a great start!
Loederkoningin
Moth-eaten formula writing. The pretty, but scared Nell flees from an abusive relationship and settles on a small island. Despite her mousy-ness, she's instantly offered a job, the handsome and persistent local sheriff as a love interest and a role as one of the three witches on the island -- The latter an unsuccessful attempt to elevate this dowdy romance from its category by introducing a dash of magic.
I constantly mixed up the storyline of Dance Upon the Air with various Lifetime Original Mov
Gwen (The Gwendolyn Reading Method)
This is a reread. On the first read, I LOVED this book. And I still appreciate Nora Roberts' writing here & the underlying storyline of the three sisters island. BUT this time I got kinda ticked off at Zack, (view spoiler) ...more
Alba Turunen
4 Estrellitas bien merecidas, éste libro ha sido una joyita que no esperaba. Mi primer encuentro con Nora Roberts fue un libro paranormal que no me gustó nada. Aquí tenemos una historia sencilla con un ligero toque paranormal que no eclipsa la trama, y he quedado muy satisfecha.

La sinopsis dice que tres hermanas perseguidas por la caza de brujas, huyeron y con un conjuro separaron un trozo de tierra crearon la isla de Tres Hermanas, un refugio para ellas, y que posteriormente en nuestra época es
Georgette
Jan 08, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up Dance Upon the Air from my favourite bargain bin and found it full of corny stuff that I enjoy. That's the good news. The bad news is that it's a trilogy, and I have to track the other two down.[return][return]The Three Sisters Island Trilogy opens with a prologue of three witches Earth, Air and Fire - who used their power to create a sanctuary from prosecution during the Salem witch trials. They found refuge on the island, but each witch went on to enter relationships that ultimate ...more
Paula  Phillips
Aug 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I think if you are a person that finds the Salem Witch Trials fascinating and tales of witches and folklore and descendants , chucked in with a sense of mystery, thriller , magic and finding yourself in a small cosy township, then the Three Sisters Island Trilogy is just what you need and Dance Upon the Air is just what you need to start the trilogy. Our story starts way back in June 1692 when the Salem witch trials are in full stem. Nineteen women , innocent have been hanged and this has worrie ...more
CatBookMom
Regardless of whether you read or listen to this little trilogy, it's worthwhile. Nell is *such* an appealing character, and the spooky bits come at the end of the book. As she meets Ripley (focus of book #2) and Mia (focus of book #3), you come to care about the inhabitants of this island. Just remember that it was written before cell phones, etc.

I always enjoy this series, and it's difficult to keep myself from downloading and reading straight through parts #2 and #3 of this trilogy, ignoring
Quinn's Book Nook
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult-romance
Dance Upon the Air by Nora Roberts has been on my re-read list for a few years now, but I never got around to it. When I realized that it would work for "on the run" on the Ripped Bodice's Bingo Sheet, I decided now was the time to finally re-read this one. It's Classic Nora Roberts, which isn't a bad thing at all.
What's the Story?
Nell Channing is on the run from her abusive husband. She's been running close to a year, and really wants to find a place to stay. When she arrives at Three Sisters
Joanne
Sep 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Sisters, female friends
I'm not a romance reader. So why did I bring Dance Upon the Air home from the library? I don't know. Maybe the cover appealed to me...I didn't start to read it until it was almost due back. Then I had to renew it or let it accrue fines, one or the other...

Is Dance Upon the Air great literature? Probably not. But it was a satisfying read despite its genre. I don't want to tell the story here--enough reviewers have done that already. However, you should know that it deals with the aftermath of spo
JuD
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
La historia en un principio me recordó bastante a Un lugar donde refugiarse. Solamente he visto la película pero al ir leyendo era como ir recordándola: chica que se escapa por malos tratos de su pareja, se esconde en un pequeño pueblo donde cree estar a salvo, se integra en el pueblo, cambia de nombre y de identidad, conoce al chico guapo...

Pero poco a poco esa imagen que tenía de la película con el libro se fue separando y es que este libro además, incluye el aspecto de la magia. Tan solo el
Allie
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Nell Channing arrives on Three Sisters Island after escaping from her abusive husband some months ago. After travelling around constantly looking over her shoulder, she feels finally ready to settle down and start a new life. She hopes it is a place where her husband will never come looking for her.

She wants a home of her own, peace and quiet, and hopefully a job and she finds it all on the island. But, she never imagined that she would fall in love with the local sheriff or discover that she ha
Serewyn
Mar 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance-chicklit
My very first Nora Roberts book. I enjoyed it, found it very cosy: An island, cute cottage, bookstore, magic.. At the same time it's not too fluffy. I also really appreciate the romance being tasteful and not too dominating. (view spoiler) ...more
Nora Roberts Grou...: Dance Upon the Air (January 2014 Book of the Month) 50 71 Feb 26, 2014 12:20PM
  • Judgment in Death (In Death, #11)
  • White Lies (Arcane Society, #2)
  • The Official Nora Roberts Companion
  • Turbulent Sea (Drake Sisters, #6)
More about Nora Roberts

Three Sisters Island (3 books)
  • Heaven and Earth (Three Sisters Island, #2)
  • Face the Fire (Three Sisters Island, #3)

Romance Deals

• The Wedding Shroud (Tales of Ancient Rome, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Release Me (Stark Trilogy, #1)
  • Better Off Without Him
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Veronica's Dragon (Icehome, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • No Prince Charming (Secrets of Stone Series Book 1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • A Loyal Heart (An Uncertain Choice, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Surrender (Steel Brothers Saga, #6)
    $7.99 $2.49
  • Forged in Smoke (Red-Hot SEALs, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunted (The Warrior Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Husband's Regret (Unwanted, #2)
  • Be My Reason
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Cuffed (Honor Bound Book 2)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • His Unlikely Lover (Unwanted, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Love Me Sweet (Bell Harbor, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forged in Ember (Red-Hot SEALs, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taking Catie (Temptation Saga #3)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Desire After Dark (Gansett Island, #14)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Scotch King (Scotch #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • This Love of Mine (Mirror Lake, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Your Scandalous Ways (Fallen Women, #1)
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Seaside Hearts (Love in Bloom: Seaside Summers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forgotten Secrets (Singing River Legacy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Knight (Endgame, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Storm Warrior (Grim, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bayside Passions (Bayside Summers, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Misadventures with a Rookie (Misadventures, #11)
  • Finding Libbie: A Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love at Last (Love in Bloom: The Bradens at Peaceful Harbor, #6.5)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Nitro's Torment (Sydney Storm MC #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Strange Hymn (The Bargainer #2)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Only You
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Lily and the Duke (Sex and the Season #1)
  • A Girl's Best Friend
    $9.99 $1.99
  • My Once and Future Duke (The Wagers of Sin, #1)
  • Surrender/Submission Bound Hearts 1 & 2
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Burn (Steel Brothers Saga, #5)
    $7.99 $3.49
  • Mistress of Magic
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Duchess Deal (Girl Meets Duke, #1)
  • INK: A Love Story on 7th and Main
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Misadventures of a City Girl (Misadventures, #2)
  • A Ruthless Proposition
  • Hometown Girl
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Mind (Trinity Trilogy #2)
    $6.99 $2.49
  • Rhapsodic (The Bargainer, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Decaying Empire (The Vanishing Girl, #2)
  • The Fixer Upper
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Room for More (Cranberry Inn Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Neanderthal Seeks Human (Knitting in the City, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Forever Hunted (Forever Bluegrass #9)
  • The Cafe by the Sea
  • My Brother Michael
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Elect (Eagle Elite, #2)
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • To Taste Temptation (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #1)
  • Dodging Temptation
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Find Me (Corrupted Hearts #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunger (The Energy Vampires #2)
  • Bittersweet
  • The Light In Summer
    $5.99 $1.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Collision Point (Brute Force, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Heirs of Grace
  • Storm Bound (Grim, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Valiant (Spy Girl Book 4)
  • Wrecked
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Sapphire Heist (Jewel, #2)
  • The Other Side of the Story
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Out of Focus (Adams Grove, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • What If
  • Impossible Saints
    $22.73 $1.99
  • Hudson (Fixed, #4)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Only a Millionaire (The Sinclairs #6.5)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Elite (Eagle Elite, #1)
  • Kulti
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Soul Summoner  (The Soul Summoner, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • April / May / June (Calendar Girl #4-6)
    $8.99 $3.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • Valorous (Quantum, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tempting Dusty (Temptation Saga, #1)
  • When Never Comes
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Misadventures with the Boss (Misadventures, #12)
  • The End of the Affair
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Baby Daddy
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Twice Bitten (Argeneau #27)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Misadventures of a Good Wife (Misadventures, #6)
  • Calendar Girl: Volume Three
    $8.99 $3.99
  • Love and Other Unknown Variables
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Storm Warned (Grim, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Real Thing (Sugar Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Bronze Horseman (The Bronze Horseman, #1)
  • A Messy, Beautiful Life
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Pestilence (The Four Horsemen, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Twisted Up (Taking Chances, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Forged In Ash (Red-Hot SEALs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Light After Dark (Gansett Island, #15)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Fangs and Fennel (The Venom Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Pecan Pie and Deadly Lies (Adams Grove, #4)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • How To Marry A Werewolf (Claw & Courtship, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Laying a hand on his heart, she timed its beats to her own. And knew the truest magic was there.” 15 likes
“She's in love, and that makes her strong. She'll need to be."

"What makes you strong, Mia?"

"Purpose. Love never worked for me.”
10 likes