Start by marking “Dance Upon the Air (Three Sisters Island, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dance Upon the Air (Three Sisters Island, #1)

Dance Upon the Air

(Three Sisters Island #1)

4.20  ·  Rating details ·  62,307 ratings  ·  1,788 reviews
When Nell Channing arrives on charming Three Sisters Island, she believes that she's finally found refuge from her abusive husband--and from the terrifying life she fled so desperately eight months ago...

But even in this quiet, peaceful place, Nell never feels entirely at ease. Careful to conceal her true identity, she takes a job as a cook at the local bookstore cafe--and
Published August 2nd 2001 by Piatkus (first published June 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Dance Upon the Air, please sign up.
Alli Definitivamente recomendaría esta trilogía. Es mi favorito. He leído esta trilogía muchas veces. Es una historia de amor.

·  62,307 ratings  ·  1,788 reviews

Start your review of Dance Upon the Air (Three Sisters Island, #1)
Em Lost In Books
I thought I was reading the script of "Sleeping with the Enemy" with a but of magic thrown in. Recommending it to hopeless romantics.
jenjn79
Apr 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to jenjn79 by: random buy
I love this book. It was the first Nora Roberts novel I read and it got me hooked on her stuff.

I enjoyed every aspect of the book. One of my favorite parts is the simple, sort of true-blue romance between Nell and Zach. So often in romance novels these days the hero is a super-alpha, or a dark and brooding alpha or a tragic alpha - which there's nothing wrong with, I love a good alpha male; it's just nice to get some variety once in a while. And that's what Zach is. He's just your normal, nice g
Blacky *Romance Addict*

This book is absolutely wonderful <3

Beautiful romance, the whole mood of the book is swoony and feel-good (well,except for the abusive husband thing), but it made me happy from page one to last.

Jay
Okay so this rant review is a little long because I had to copy large chunks of text from the book to prove the hero is actually a colossal dickhead (as well as the real villain).

I read Dance Upon the Air last August. It was at the beginning of my gigantic romance phase and since I was naive and innocent back then, I gave it 3 stars thinking it was a bit boring but "not too bad".

Now I know better than to give this anything more than 1 star and aggressively tap my Kindle until it is deleted.

Our
Ahmad Sharabiani
Dance Upon The Air (Three Sisters Island, #1), Nora Roberts
Three Sisters Island book series by Nora Roberts includes books: Dance Upon the Air, Heaven and Earth, Face the Fire, and several more. When Nell Channing arrives on charming Three Sisters Island, she believes that she’s finally found refuge from her abusive husband—and from the terrifying life she fled so desperately eight months ago… But even in this quiet, peaceful place, Nell never feels entirely at ease. Careful to conceal her true
Cyndi
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Took me awhile to like Zack. A few of his comments hit me wrong, especially when he asked her why she didn't just leave her abusive husband. Then her character went off track for me, too. She says she won't sleep with him because she is still legally married, then a few chapters later she jumping on him in the doorway.
But the story is wonderful! Full of magic and love. Also the two main characters become more likable in the end. 😁
BTW the audio is not great. She gives Nell a little girl voice
♥Rachel♥
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book, fantasy
4.5 Stars

This had a Sleeping With the Enemy vibe, you know that Julia Roberts' film from the 90's? I think this had a more lighthearted feel to it overall, but a similar concept. Loved everything from the setting of an East Coast island complete with lighthouse and witch-lore, to the food. Of course our lively heroine, who emerges from an abusive relationship, gets her confidence back, and falls in love was my favorite part. Zack, the irresistible Sheriff, came in at a close second.

Looking for
✨ Gramy ✨
Welcome to the introductory read of the series - Three Sisters Island. This was my second read and I found that my tastes have changed since the prior read. I still liked the book, but not as much as I recalled from the first read.

When Nell Channing arrives on charming Three Sisters Island, she believes that she's finally found refuge from her abusive husband--and from the terrifying life that she fled so desperately from eight months ago...

But even in this quiet, peaceful place, Nell never
The Tick
Cathy

Enjoyable, but nothing more. It started off quite promising, because the basic premise of this is a Sleeping with the Enemy-type situation, which I'm kind of partial to.

I liked Nell and Zack, but it never went beyond liking; partly because I had trouble believing how easy it all seemed. I didn't buy the fact that she practically set up her own catering business in a matter of a week, previous experience or not. Catering a party with 100+ guests all by yourself while still working full-time else
Dee
This was an enjoyable read, a bit fluffy and very predictable......It is the same story as the movie 'Sleeping With The Enemy' mixed with the TV series 'Charmed' as these 3 sisters definitely have 'The Power of Three'
Ally
Oct 01, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nora Roberts fans
Recommended to Ally by: No-one :(
Shelves: 2010, re-read, 2008
I've just finished re-reading (for at least the fifth time) one of my favourite Nora Roberts books. Dance Upon The Air. Although I love this book for many different reasons, witches, love, century old curse, new friends etc etc.
The main female character Nell Channing is running away from her past. She's left her abusive husband tricking him and everyone else she knew into thinking she's dead.
She was known as Helen Remington. And as the story evolves so does the character. You see in a way as the
Jennifer Kyle
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 ⭐️ Stars
Marniy
Jan 08, 2011 rated it it was ok
About half way through this book. It's a fantasy romance about a woman who escapes an abusive marriage and starts a new life across the country.
She is very nervous, distrustful, and not interested in another relationship.
The thing that is disturbing me is that the romantic interest seems to be following in the same steps as a typical abuser; he doesn't listen to her when she says she doesn't want to be touched, he violates her personal space even though it scares her, and other dick moves.
Her hu
CatBookMom
Regardless of whether you read or listen to this little trilogy, it's worthwhile. Nell is *such* an appealing character, and the spooky bits come at the end of the book. As she meets Ripley (focus of book #2) and Mia (focus of book #3), you come to care about the inhabitants of this island. Just remember that it was written before cell phones, etc.

I always enjoy this series, and it's difficult to keep myself from downloading and reading straight through parts #2 and #3 of this trilogy, ignoring
Μαρία Γεωργοπούλου
I read it for a second time while I was waiting for a book order to come and I have to say that I enjoyed it again so very much! Nora Roberts knows how to write a good book! The following review is from the first time I read it and I am not going to change anything!

That was a very nice story! And, really, what’s not to love? It has romance, witches and a beautiful scenery! I enjoyed every page of this book! Nora Roberts is a very talented author. I have to admit that while I was reading this boo
Gwen (The Gwendolyn Reading Method)
This is a reread. On the first read, I LOVED this book. And I still appreciate Nora Roberts' writing here & the underlying storyline of the three sisters island. BUT this time I got kinda ticked off at Zack, (view spoiler) ...more
Ira
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
It’s a lovely story.
There is paranormal elements in here too but not too much.

Both hero and heroine are sweet:)
Jessica
Nov 30, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: nora-roberts, own
There were a lot of things I liked about this book. I liked the premise of the abusive husband. I liked the setting and the magic element. I really would have loved to see more magic in it because that part was lacking. I liked Nell (in all her Mary-Sue glory). For the most part, I liked Ripley, whose book I am anxious to read. Yet, I gave this book a one star. Why? Because I hate with a burning passion the "hero," Zack. You A-hole. You piece of abomination trash. You disgust me. I had to put th ...more
Jane Stewart
2 ½ stars. Nothing new or interesting about witch powers or escaping an abusive husband.

I really liked The Witness and Angels Fall by this author. But this book was disappointing. The characters did not stand out. I felt like the author picked ordinary people to write about, and she just kept writing and writing. We see ordinary lives, working, making friends, having day to day conversations. The author is good at this. The conversations were interesting. But it didn’t make “a good story.” Noth
missEvi [can't commit to a book]

Overall 3*

I love Nora Roberts. She is like comfort food when you want something easy and maybe a little cliche, without the classic chick-lit stupidity. In this case, I started the trilogy with low expectations. I just couldn't picture her writing with a touch of supernatural, but the high ratings convinced me. I am glad, because the magical element is just an aspect of the books, without the classical love potions that you would expect. The romance is sweet without magic being the reason. And m
Kat
Moth-eaten formula writing. The pretty, but scared Nell flees from an abusive relationship and settles on a small island. Despite her mousy-ness, she's instantly offered a job, the handsome and persistent local sheriff as a love interest and a role as one of the three witches on the island -- The latter an unsuccessful attempt to elevate this dowdy romance from its category by introducing a dash of magic.
I constantly mixed up the storyline of Dance Upon the Air with various Lifetime Original Mov
Julie
Apr 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
This one reminded me of a cross between Sleeping with the Enemy and Practical Majic. Once it got to the point we all knew had to happen the anticpation was tense. But, the confrontation wasn't as bad as I had thought it would be. Over all it was a feel good story, even though domestic violence is always a hard topic to read about. I am looking forward to reading the other two books in the trilogy.
Amy
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this romance. The main story line around a woman running from an abusive situation and finding a place to call home was just wonderful. I loved the characters, I loved the romance and I loved the little bit of witchcraft weaved into the story. Really eager to read the rest of the book s in the trilogy. This was a great start!
Georgette
Jan 08, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up Dance Upon the Air from my favourite bargain bin and found it full of corny stuff that I enjoy. That's the good news. The bad news is that it's a trilogy, and I have to track the other two down.[return][return]The Three Sisters Island Trilogy opens with a prologue of three witches Earth, Air and Fire - who used their power to create a sanctuary from prosecution during the Salem witch trials. They found refuge on the island, but each witch went on to enter relationships that ultimatel ...more
J. W. Garrett
Book 1 in the thrilling paranormal 'Three Sisters Island’ series.

Rating: PG->17: sexual content, violence, triggers for domestic violence and spousal abuse and discussions of what that entailed. I own at least two copies of these books [paperback and trade size] and this is my third time reading them.

You have to hand it to Roberts. She can create a world where you want to be friends with the characters and travel to the community in which they live and work. It is just a feel-good atmosphere th
Tessie
I loved the story and the premise. It was original and sucked me in. However, while it was an adorable and well written book, I struggled with some of the characters, especially the male lead, Zack.

*Sideline Rant*(view spoiler)
Paula  Phillips
Aug 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I think if you are a person that finds the Salem Witch Trials fascinating and tales of witches and folklore and descendants , chucked in with a sense of mystery, thriller , magic and finding yourself in a small cosy township, then the Three Sisters Island Trilogy is just what you need and Dance Upon the Air is just what you need to start the trilogy. Our story starts way back in June 1692 when the Salem witch trials are in full stem. Nineteen women , innocent have been hanged and this has worrie ...more
Ram
Nov 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Nell Channing arrives on the Three Sisters Island, running away and hiding from her abusive husband. She starts as a cook in a café and builds up a reputation as a caterer and party organizer. She gets involved in a relationship with Zack Todd the islands sheriff and is mostly accepted and loved by the island society.

However, without some hardship, there is no story, so things happen….both in her relationship and outside of it.

The book includes characters that are very typical to the romance gen

• The Official Nora Roberts Companion
  • Golden in Death (In Death, #50)
  • Festive in Death: by JD Robb | Summary & Analysis
  • Nothing to Fear (Final Hour #2)
Nora Roberts is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of more than 200 novels, including Come Sundown, The Obsession, The Liar, and coming in December 2017, Year One -- the first book in The Chronicles of The One. She is also the author of the futuristic suspense In Death series written under the pen name J.D. Robb. There are more than 500 million copies of her books in print. ...more

Three Sisters Island (3 books)
  • Heaven and Earth (Three Sisters Island, #2)
  • Face the Fire (Three Sisters Island, #3)