Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > I've lost the beer thread again...(CURRENT BEER THREAD, until a better one comes along)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 291 (291 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments ...but must recommend the Stateside Saison if you can get your hands on it. REALLY nice ale.

Not as weird as it sounds: Dogfish Head's Namaste, which is very summery but has coriander, lemongrass, and clementine in it.

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments I had a Kennebunkport Blueberry Wheat Ale last night. It didn't make me say I want another, but it wasn't bad.

message 3: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I lose the beer thread all the time. Stateside saison or Stateside station? I haven't been properly drunk in a while. Maybe next week.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24362 comments Mod
I want some beer.

message 5: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Dude.

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments RandomAnthony wrote: "I lose the beer thread all the time. Stateside saison or Stateside station? I haven't been properly drunk in a while. Maybe next week."

Saison. I'm not sure if it's being distributed outside of Maryland. It's made by a homebrewer who managed to get distribution.

message 7: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments I was going to get back to you with my recommendations, but had never heard of Saison, and I still haven't found an IPA that is palatable.

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Heavy Seas Loose Cannon is the first IPA I've ever been able to tolerate - and those who like IPA rave about it - , and it is still Not My Thing.

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Tried the Victory Moonshadow Weizenbock. Didn't realize it was 8.9%. Woof.

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Forgot to say that on Thanksgiving I brought over three different pumpkin ales and we had a tasting flight. The results:

3rd place:

Not bad, but thin. Maybe because it's only 4%ABV.

2nd place:

9%ABV. I think the Great Pumpkin was probably fantastic. The Greater Pumpkin's selling point is that it was aged in bourbon barrels, and really the overriding taste was bourbon. If I didn't use my nose, the taste was rich and spicy, but the second I smelled it, the bourbon overwhelmed.

1st place:
[image error]
Not too sweet, but properly aromatic. Rich, complex. Yum. Better than last year's by far.

message 11: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

message 12: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
Why is that beer thread so hard to keep a hold of?

message 13: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments I just watched part of the Brew Masters show on the making of their Punkin Ale last night. Sam seems like a really neat guy.

message 14: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I wanna have that stuff piped in.

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Jim wrote: "I just watched part of the Brew Masters show on the making of their Punkin Ale last night. Sam seems like a really neat guy."

He does seem like a neat guy. I forgot what night they were showing that -- I'll have to catch that one. I saw the first one, on Bitches Brew. But I need the show to end with somebody handing a glass through the TV! The Bitches Brew sold out months ago and I never got to taste it. I have the Theobroma on hand if they do an episode on that one. Namaste was eeeeenteresting.

The other nice benefit of the beer-tasting was it turned out that my cousin who normally doesn't like beer (or drink much alcohol in general) liked the pumpkin beers quite a bit. He got a little loopy, then washed all of the pots and pans from the Thanksgiving-dinner-making. I swear he washed dishes for two hours straight.

message 16: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments They just had one on Chicka Beer that was made with chewed corn.

I love that your cousin got loopy and did the dishes.

message 17: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
Larry wrote: "I wanna have that stuff piped in."

I want to lay down near the beer stream and lap it up.

message 18: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) hee yeah

message 19: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Sally wrote: "Larry wrote: "I wanna have that stuff piped in."

I want to lay down near the beer stream and lap it up."

::Gets camera ready::

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Went duckpin bowling last night. Paired it with the Tommyknocker Cocoa Porter. Interesting. It didn't taste like a chocolate beer - the taste had hints of cocoa powder, not chocolate, and not sweet. I'm not sure if I'd buy it again, but I'll happily finish the six pack.

message 21: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments I have tried no new beers lately. Must go do something about that. Not sure a Chocolate beer will be the answer though.

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I'm not a huge fan of chocolate beers. Young's Double Chocolate Stout is excellent, and we have the Brooklyn chocolate stout on tap right now, but I don't go out of my way to drink them. But this one looked like a good beer for a freezing cold night, and it was.

message 23: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i like beer and i like chocolate, but chocolate beer?

message 24: by Sarah (last edited Dec 07, 2010 11:18AM) (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments They don't taste like what you're thinking. They're not sweet.
This is the best one I've found.
[image error]

ETA: reviews: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/...

message 25: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Choke a lot beer.

message 26: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments There's a style of Belgian beer called kriek that has a nice rich flavor of sour cherries. It's a very "dry" taste, not sweet at all. Good stuff if you can find it.

message 27: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) [image error]

message 28: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments There you go!

message 29: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I like Lindemann's Kriek lambic. All of their lambics, really.

message 30: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i'm drinking kriek now and it's sweeter than i imagined it to be. must be a commercial sweetened variety. i should have known better than to buy it at the supermarket. beer shouldn't be sweet. it still tastes good though.

message 31: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments I just found this one this week, pretty tasty.

message 32: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I would try that in a heartbeat, Jim.

message 33: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Come on over!

message 34: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I'll keep an eye out!

message 35: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments I had the Best Dubbel Beer for lunch.

message 36: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i just had a heineken. only beer available.

message 37: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments Jim wrote: "I had the Best Dubbel Beer for lunch.

"

ever tried a duvel?

[image error]

message 38: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I have not, but would without hesitation.

message 39: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I like Duvel. Also, I know a horse named after it.

message 40: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments ::Off to google Duvel::

message 41: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Well, I honestly would try that, but they do not sell it anywhere in the area according to their website.

message 42: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Wood eye?

message 43: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Peg leg!

message 44: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments Jim wrote: "Well, I honestly would try that, but they do not sell it anywhere in the area according to their website."

that's not very nice of them.

message 45: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments janine wrote: "Jim wrote: "Well, I honestly would try that, but they do not sell it anywhere in the area according to their website."

that's not very nice of them."

I was thinking the same thing, as the beer appears tasty. Oh well I'll just have to get along withe the hundreds of other beers available to me.

message 46: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Jim, I had been thinking of sending you beer for the exchange, but I wasn't sure that was legal and/or wise.

message 47: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments What I got was great Sarah, thanks.

message 48: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments You're welcome. I'm still curious, though. I know it's not legal for wineries to ship across state lines, but can individuals mail a bottle of beer?

message 49: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments I didn't think that you could either, but not sure how the beer & wine of the month clubs would exist if you couldn't.

message 50: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Hmm. Good point.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.