Delirity discussion

Author M > Highlander - K.M. Moning

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (nicholebookaholic) | 185 comments I just started this series I liked the first one, abandoned the second one and was told that they get really good with the 4th book (where it start's to tie in with the Fever series) I am listening to the Audio for Kiss of the Highlander and like it so far.

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather T (horrorvacui000) | 5931 comments Mod
I take it each one is a different guy? It doesn't feel completely Scottish to me. Maybe it's more of an issue that sometimes things seem a little too modern for me. There's something in the actions of the characters that seem off for the period at times. Not always, just occasionally. Or, maybe it's the lack of formality within his home.

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (nicholebookaholic) | 185 comments Yes, each story is about a different guy....because I skipped a couple I don't know if books 2 & 3 tie into remaining books but 4 & 5 are the stories of two brothers and tie into the Fever Series....I'll start the audio on the 6th one later this week....

message 5: by Heather (new)

I just got 2 from the library. I want to read it, but I'm using it for an Oct. challenge so I have to stall.

message 6: by Heather (new)

So funny! I'm highly entertained by book 4 at the moment.

message 7: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments Heather wait until the next one, you will be laughing more.

message 8: by Heather (new)

What's with all of the parents being killed in car accidents?

message 9: by Heather (last edited Nov 05, 2010 08:40PM) (new)

I just about died laughing when I saw this. I started looking at pics of Scottish things inspired by the series and I found a stool that is apparently (I don't know if it's legit) at a pub in Scotland for men who wear kilts.

message 10: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments It is both funny and gross!!

message 11: by Heather (new)

You'd have to sanitize it every time!
I'm sure it's more of a joke chair, but seriously? I think most men wear shorts under their kilts these days.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 827 comments I've now read up through book 6 in this series and will try to read book 7 before Shadowfever comes out. My favorite books have been Dageus and Adam's so far.

Lyzzibug ~Still Breathing~ (lyzzibug) I've read them all except the last one and I liked them all. Not as obsessed as I was with the Fever Series, but still entertaining.

message 14: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments I am going to try this one tonight (hopefully).

message 15: by Heather (new)

I never watched it, but is it safe to say that the Highlander series and/or movie have very little in common with this series? Or, do they correlate in some way.

message 16: by Vivian (new)

Vivian (_vivian) I finished the first one today. First off, I'm not usually a big PNR person, but I liked the writing and dialogue, which was pretty humorous. My biggest issue was the huge middle chunk when Adrienne and Hawk were too stubborn to admit their feelings to each other, I was ready to throw the book away, I was so frustrated. But other than that, a fun read :)

message 17: by Heather (new)

It seems like characters either fight for too long or they're jumping after each other too fast in romance books. It's hard to find a balance. I think why I liked Kate Daniels so much is that while they did fight it, things were written as if they didn't spend every day with one another. They see each other as stuff comes up, but, unlike Highlander, they aren't fighting against each other on a daily basis living in the same house. I think by giving the characters distance and their own lives it's more realistic. Shoving two people into the same space and having every part of their lives entertwined makes it very hard to balance the relationship perfectly. At least, that's how I feel. (I know KD isn't a romance book, but it works for the example.)

message 18: by Angela (new)

Angela B I will read these books I will read these books! lol

message 19: by Vivian (new)

Vivian (_vivian) Heather wrote: "It seems like characters either fight for too long or they're jumping after each other too fast in romance books. It's hard to find a balance."

I totally agree! But when you do find a balance, it's fantastic :)

message 20: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments Stacia (Staciamy) wrote: "Well yeah, but romance readers are looking for a specific formula = guy meets girl, guy hooks up with girl, guy and girl live happily ever after.

Urban Fantasy readers are looking for a complete..."

That is why I haven't read a lot of PNR, I really am not a huge romance person. I mean I do love some of it, but I don't really like how PNR switches couples and all of their story is in one book (or most of it).

I was going to start this and I actually forgot.

Lyzzibug ~Still Breathing~ (lyzzibug) Vivian wrote: "I finished the first one today. First off, I'm not usually a big PNR person, but I liked the writing and dialogue, which was pretty humorous. My biggest issue was the huge middle chunk when Adrien..."

That is what Moning does to you. Haha Makes you want to hate her then she makes you love her again.

I whole-heartly agree with you Stacia.

message 22: by Heather (new)

Ya, I know that's the point of Romance books. I just wish more authors found the happy medium. I end up yelling "Come on already!" or else I'm going "Gee, jump into bed fast enough?" Maybe that's because I've never had that moment where I just said "Gotta have that guy right here, right now," that I don't understand that. I also don't understand not giving things a shot because you just know they're the one and you're afraid to give it a chance. I get it if the person is horrible and likes to beat women or does drugs or something, but I don't get being afraid to try with the average guy just to see what might come of it. Hence, why I like things balanced somewhere between the two for books. If it were the story of my life you'd have to wait for book 500 for your juicy scenes, but I get the need for something to happen so that the story can progress. You can only push someone away so many times before they move on or give up. Maybe it's just because it's so formulaic to go one route or the other that makes me happy to see the middle ground? IDK.
Stacia is very right that the series picks up as it gets moving. I think she learns to balance things a little better. You have moments of connection and pushing away, but it feels like it's structured better so that you don't notice the formula as much. You get sucked into the story itself so much that you forget to analyse it like you do the early books.

message 23: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments I like the wait. I think that is why I love Kate Daniels and Chicagoland Vamps so much.

message 24: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B | 292 comments I've only read the first two. I wasn't overly impressed by them. They were light and slightly entertaining. I liked the plot of the second book better. The Berserker thing was interesting but other then that it kind of fell flat.

I'm looking forward to getting into the books now that they are supposed to be getting better.

message 25: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments Jessica, keep reading because they do pick up with the next one.

message 26: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B | 292 comments Yeah, I'm definitely goign to keep going. I never give up on a series. This one is no exception. I'm looking forward to enjoying some better writing from this author. And once I am done with this series I plan to read her Fever series which I have heard nothing but amazing things about!

message 27: by Vivian (new)

Vivian (_vivian) Good timing Jessica, since the last Fever book is out next week and you won't have a wait to finish the series :)

message 28: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B | 292 comments I know, I'm very excited to not have to deal with the dreaded cliff hangers I've heard about!

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 827 comments The Fever series is definitely better than this one, at least for me. I have enjoyed the Highlander series after the first couple of books, but a lot of it has to do with its connection to Fever.

message 30: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B | 292 comments DO you think it matters which one you read first?

Lyzzibug ~Still Breathing~ (lyzzibug) I read them in order of their timeline and enjoyed knowing a little backstory on the next character spotlighted, but they can be read independently. I think it depends on your personal preference.

message 32: by Heather (new)

I think you should read book 4 to the end in order. The beginning ones can be mixed up. Although, Adam Black has back story in book 1 and 3.
The MacKelters are the ones that will show up in each later book. It's nothing major so you could read them out of order if you really wanted to, but you'll hear back stories and then ruin a bit of the books that came prior.

message 33: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments I started this one. It is ok, but not much excitement going on so far.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 827 comments Still trying to get the taste of "The Hawk" out of my mouth. Worst nickname ever.

Lyzzibug ~Still Breathing~ (lyzzibug) I could have done without the nickname, but I'll take the man!

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 827 comments I'll take me a Dageus/Adam combo, please.

Lyzzibug ~Still Breathing~ (lyzzibug) Greedy aren't you! Heehees

message 38: by Heather (new)

Well, at least she isn't mixing worlds, Lyzzibug.=) Those two were pretty awesome.

message 39: by Jami (new)

Jami (gurugoodwin) | 53 comments I just read the first book and loved it. Can't wait to start the next one and her other series too!

message 40: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 1272 comments I bought the first book in this series and hope to read it this month. :)

message 41: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments Chakara wrote: "I bought the first book in this series and hope to read it this month. :)"

You'll have to let us know how you like it.

message 42: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 1272 comments Darcy wrote: "Chakara wrote: "I bought the first book in this series and hope to read it this month. :)"

You'll have to let us know how you like it."

Will do. I'm curious about how ill like it as well. :)

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2445 comments I think I own the first book too. I think it's supposed to overlap the fae books.

message 44: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments It does, but not until the later Fever books.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2445 comments Okay, gotcha.