Start by marking “Into the Dreaming (Highlander, #8)” as Want to Read:
Into the Dreaming (Highlander, #8)

Into the Dreaming

(Highlander #8)

#1 New York Times bestselling author Karen Marie Moning’s novella Into the Dreaming, a tale of Highland fantasy, star-crossed lovers, and the timeless manipulation of the ancient, immortal Unseelie king.

Free him from his ice-borne hell…

Stolen from his beloved home in the Highlands of Scotland, imprisoned in the Unseelie king’s dark, frosty kingdom, Aedan MacKinnon endured
Published August 29th 2006 by Jove

Start your review of Into the Dreaming (Highlander, #8)
Sophia Triad
I am proud to say that I have been to the Isle of Skye (the ‘cloud island’). It is wild and beautiful and its Cuillin Hills are mist-enshrouded. When you stand next to a sea cliff, you can inhale the freshest air you can find on Earth.

The story of this book takes place in the Isle of Skye and it starts with a game between the Unseelie King and the Seelie Queen.
Two humans are the pawns in this game:

-Aeden MacKinnon, a highlander who is obliged to the Unseelie King and he has become his Vengeance
Regina
Jun 27, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Into the Dreaming is a short story set in Moning’s Highlander/Fever world originally published in the anthology Tapestry in 2002. I first read it in the spring of 2010 when I was on a desperate hunt for clues to discover what the heck Jericho Barrons was and trying to assuage the pain of the wait for Shadowfever. Into the Dreaming then was a fun read, provided me with what I thought at the time were decent clues but in the end did not turn out to be anything but a sweet distraction. Once again I ...more
Stacie
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 "Dreaming" Stars!

This is a fantastic little sampling of the magic that is Karen Marie Moning 's HIGHLANDERS series! I loved it! Wish Aedan and Jane had a full length story. Happy reading!
Jun 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: highlander-books
This novella is a re-read for me. I love Moning's Highlanders. Like seriously love. This novella is billed as Highlander #8, but it also has hints of the Fever series. Just an FYI if you haven't read it. Oh, and there's an ebook version full of extras. I'd buy that one. This review is for the paperback from '02.

Jane Sillee is a chronic daydreamer. She works in a coffee shop by day, and writes in every spare second she has. But at night, her dreams are of a Highland warrior.

The seelie queen Aibho
Blacky *Romance Addict*
This was a lovely short story and me being hooked to KMM's Highlander world, I just had to read it <3

Aedan KacKinnon was captured by the Unseelie King, tortured and finally imprisoned in the Unseelie realm where he forgot everything that made him human. After 500 years, the king gives him a month to break his hold on him, if the warrior falls in love, and was loved in return, he will be released back to the human world.

There was an interesting involvement from the Queen of Fae in this one, appa
Mizuki
Well...this novella is pure escapism with a handful of hot Highlanders and medieval setting and castle and...the Unseelie King, Seelie Queen and the Faeries! Who am I to say no?

The story is enjoyable to an extend, the male and female lead are okay-ish as well. However, this book totally sucks on the realism department. Oh, don't tell me it's a fantasy romance so realism is not needed here, a certain amount of realism is needed in every book.

Plus I was really pissed when the female lead said th
AH
Jul 30, 2010 rated it liked it
This is a nice little short story. It may appeal to those Fever fans out there who are anxiously awaiting Shadowfever. There is a glimpse of the Unseelie King and a little background on the Seelie Queen.

As a love story, it is a little short. It is rather funny, and Aeden MacKinnon fits that burly, beefy Highlander mold just right. Jane Sillee is transported back to Scotland in the 1400's to Aiden's family castle. She has one month to make him fall in love with her or he will be trapped in the Un
valee
Aug 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
For being a short story, it was such a nice book. It was like reading every good part of a book all together without having to read the boring parts in the middle.

This book was so different from the rest of the highlander books in the series. I absolubtely loved Aedan. With his memory lost he was the sweetest thing I've ever seen. I just wanted him to remeber everithing and become the hot and sexy warrior you knew he would become.

And it was nice to see that for once the girl in the book was the
Kristin
OK...I know this was just supposed to hold me over until Iced is released later this year, but as usual I want more. I really liked Into the Dreaming and the deleted scenes from Kiss of a Highlander.

I am super glad she trashed the first version of Dark Highlander, because it was horrible. I guess my reaction is harsh because it is one of my favorites of her highlander series. I loved Daegus and Chloe in that book, and Elizabeth in this version was annoying and irritating. Good move, Karen, to sc
Alex is The Romance Fox
I love KKM’s Highlander Series so I was excited to find this book.

I wasn’t exactly crazy about this one (I love all the others) but did not exactly hate it. No, let me get this right………….I liked it more than I thought I would….yes, there’s the sexy Highlander and the cute heroine, who has to stand on a stool to reach the hero’s face…a rather novel way to kiss a man!!!! Then there’s the cat she adopts…and how she manages to charm the whole village and naturally, in the end the hero as well. She
Pam Nelson
This was interesting, not sure how it played into the rest of the series if I am being honest. If it was just Aedan being a Mackinnon or the fact the King and Queen have their own game going on, but it was still enjoyable.

Jane was persistent that is for dang sure.

The Narration again great.
Natasha
Jul 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
Who doesn't love Karen Marie Moning's work?
Everyone of her novels are amazing. Always exciting, always enticing and always a hit.

At first I was like, "whoa, this womans whipped." Ha! But once I read his description, then I knew why. ;) As much as I liked Jane's character, being a sweet, kind and witty novelist, it was hard to compete with the best of the novel, Aedan MacKinnon.

Aedan is tough, but what he goes through is hard to imagine. I won't give away too much, because I love a good element
Pamela(AllHoney)
In The Dreaming is a short novella by Karen Marie Moning. But for a novella, it was a good read. I would have loved to have seen it expanded into a full length novel but for what it is it was satisfying. I have the bonus material edition and it was great reading through that too.
Jamie *Gypsy Smut-a-teer*
Into the Dreaming lure them deep where they shall love whilst they doth sleep then in the waking both shall dwell 'til love's fire doth melt his ice-born hell.

Awe, the last Highlander book in this series.

This series was done as a buddy read with Vika and Sultan, (WHAT UP GIRLS, lol). This series alone completely made me re-think my dislike of historical romances and completely 100% turned us three girls into die-hard kilt loving girls. WOW, what a great series it was.

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Posted on Under the Covers

If you’re a massive fan of Karen Marie Moning like I am, then you may have squeed upon hearing about this rerelease. I love KMM’s Fever series (I really do), but for some reason I enjoy her Highlander series more. I love the passion in them, the darkness and also the hot alpha men who grace the pages of these books.

In INTO THE DREAMING, we get another bonus hottie in Aeden. Jane, a modern- day romance writer and Aeden, a hot Scot fall in love in between realms called t
Jujubee
Very interesting. Whimsical yet sensual, a dark yet hopeful journey for Aeden and Jane, laced with the right touch Fae magic.
I read this in the anthology Tapestry, and I think it is the better storytelling of the two others (books one and two) I've read in the Highlander series. I give it a solid 4.5 stars.
I hadn't thought to continue in the series, but I might reconsider. That little twist at the end between the Seelie Queen and the Unseelie King was a delight! So glad this gem was not missed.
Candace
Moning's latest book is a collection of two novellas, a novel proposal, deleted scenes from one of her novels and excerpts from another of her books. The book is named after the first of the two novellas. I found Into The Dreaming a good read and true to form. The second novella is The Dark Highlander Lite and is about Dageus MacKeltar and Elisabeth Zander. As for myself, I prefer my Highlanders Dark. The rest of the book are intriguing sidebars.
AnnaLund
Aug 15, 2012 rated it did not like it

Oh dear, this read like a fanfiction story. Not impressed at all. I wonder why in the whole world one would want to print this, after having published so many good stories?
No, this was not for me at all, I am quite disappointed. What in the world possessed you, Ms Moning? The Unseelie King himself?

**** Reading from a borrowed copy.
WhiskeyintheJar

hey, it only took me 5yrs to finish this series! A very short novella not worth the time in my opinion except for a couple lines about the Unseelie Dark King. Did Moning ever do a story about him because I'd sign up for that with freaking bells on?
Fil
Oct 27, 2014 rated it liked it
A little disappointed it's over this way...want more highlanders :(
Olga
Feb 05, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
First read January 08, 2013
Re-read February 6th, 2015
DonutKnow
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Erica Ravenclaw
Aug 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Oh Jane and what's your name that's totally irrelevant, you silly little characters you.

That about sums up my feeling towards this book. The MC (Jane and whats his face) are merely representations of the Fae King and Queen, which is what this book was written for. I'm not 100% of the timeline of where Fever begins and where Highlander ends, however I don't believe there is any overlap in time and Highlander is firmly planted first to get everyone in the same century. This book breaks the the mo
Carolyn F.
I have read this story as party of the anthology Tapestry

A man who is held by the fae for a very long time finds relief through dreams. I don't get the timeline difference. Did the dreams start when the timeline is almost finished? Isn't that too late to do any good? Anyway, okay story. 3 stars
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
KcLu's review posted on Guilty Pleasures

I was first introduced to Karen Marie Moning’s Highlanders about 9 years ago by a co-worker, and I fell in love big time!!! I have read all of them many times except this book. I couldn’t get my hands on a copy without giving up an arm and a leg on E-bay. This version with all the bonus material was so worth the wait and it was great to visit this world that I love so much!! This is a short story jam packed with all the sexy greatness we expect form one of
Pat
Aug 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was an exciting " take " on Beauty and the Beast! The Beauty is a modern romance novelist, never quite fitting wherever she goes. She has been in love with a mysterious stranger who has been appearing in her dreams since she was a child, and her lover ( in her dreams) since she was in her late teens. Her name is Jane. One day out of the blue, she receives an ancient tapestry picturing her dream lover, a Highland Warrior. She falls asleep with it, and wakes up on the shore of a sea, near an ...more
Jilly
Apr 11, 2012 rated it liked it
I am still wondering where this book fits into the Highlander Series. I think maybe it could be read in the beginning or the end.

Anyways, what I thought. I liked it and disliked it which is the reason I gave it a 3.

It was a little on the cheesy side what with the Tapestry and the Dreams that Jane and Aedan were having together.

However, I did like the idea that the Unseelie king had kept Aedan in Faery for 500 years and tortured him (I like angst) and then deposited him back in Scotland for a mon
Hollis
Of COURSE it would figure that the short and sweet little novella would be my favourite.

Modern-day woman with dreams of being a published romance author, whose novels are inspired by the vivid dreams of a dark Highlander that she's had as long as she can remember, is thrown back in time to save the LITERAL man of her dreams? The man who, for once, is basically (sorta not really but yes) the untouched virgin of the story? And there's a kitten (like, an actual cat, I'm not being cute) named Sexpo
Pang
I don't know why I read this one before reading the other previous books in the series. Maybe because there is something in the title Into the Dreaming that lure me. A couple who meet each other in the dream. The love before first met. But when she travels through the time and meet him there, her heart.. her love, he doesn't recognize her, not even remember their love or memory they share in the dreams... This is just a short story, but it's dreamy enough to hold my attention. It's just perf ...more
Dina
Aug 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-copy
Yup.. the last one.. *sniff* I'm gonna miss those alpha heroes of Ms. Moning.. The last one was quite short. Made me crave more of Aedan (love the name) and the small snippets of deleted scenes and changes made into the other books were treasured :)

I'm gonna be reading Iced next, to see where our Fever series is going next ;)
The Challenge Fac...: ♛ Melissa & Ezi- Into the Dreaming (Highlander, Book 8) 126 35 Jan 19, 2014 09:18AM

• Fever Moon: The Fear Dorcha (Fever #5.5)
  • Tapestry (de Piaget, #8.5; de Piaget/MacLeod, #8.5; Were-Hunter, #0.5; Entire Dark-Hunterverse, #1.5; Dark-Hunterverse, #2; Highlander, #8)
  • The Ranger (Highland Guard, #3)
  • The Hawk (Highland Guard, #2)
  • The Viper (Highland Guard, #4)
  • The Chief (Highland Guard, #1)
  • Never Love a Highlander (McCabe Trilogy, #3)
  • Highlander Unmasked (MacLeods of Skye Trilogy, #2)
  • The Recruit (Highland Guard, #6)
  • A Certain Wolfish Charm (Westfield Wolves, #1)
  • Season of Strangers (Paranormal Series II, #3)
  • The Summit (Paranormal Series II, #2)
  • Highlander Untamed (MacLeods of Skye Trilogy, #1)
  • Seduction of a Highland Lass (McCabe Trilogy, #2)
  • Binding Vows (MacCoinnich Time Travels #1)
  • Phantom Embrace (Immortal Guardians, #5.5)
  • In Bed with a Highlander (McCabe Trilogy, #1)
  • The Saint (Highland Guard, #5)
“The only other calling I ever felt was an irrepressible desire to be Captain of my own Starship. I was born in the wrong century and it wasn’t possible, so I chose to explore the universe by writing fiction instead. Books are doors to endless adventure.” -KMM

Karen Marie Moning is the #1 NYT bestselling author of the Fever Series and Highlander novels.

An alum of the Immaculate Conception Academy,

Highlander (8 books)
  • Beyond the Highland Mist (Highlander, #1)
  • To Tame a Highland Warrior (Highlander, #2)
  • The Highlander's Touch (Highlander, #3)
  • Kiss of the Highlander (Highlander, #4)
  • The Dark Highlander (Highlander, #5)
  • The Immortal Highlander (Highlander, #6)
  • Spell of the Highlander (Highlander, #7)