Task Completion discussion

Past Challenge Periods > R2: Task Ideas!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 100 (100 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Zakiya (last edited Sep 18, 2010 07:04PM) (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) If anyone has ideas for taks we can use now, or in the future, please post your task's name (if one), a short description, and how many points you want it to be worth.

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate (katemreads) | 17 comments All right, since I'm going to be adding a Fall reading List to my million pages I was thinking that was maybe could have a holiday challenge. Like Halloween, Christmas, etc.

message 3: by Zakiya (last edited Sep 19, 2010 02:47PM) (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Okay, I like that idea. I will try to thin kof something to put on there for it. How many points should it be worth? It's not that hard, so below 25.

message 4: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Okay I added it as 15.2 on the task list. What do you think?

message 5: by Kate (new)

Kate (katemreads) | 17 comments Awesome, I love it! I just thought since I have a few more Halloweeny books to read that it might be a good one to add. Plus I've really been wanting to read a Christmas book too.

message 6: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Yeah, I know that others might have had holiday books they wanted to read, so I didn't mind adding it. If you have anymore ideas, please feel free to post! We need a few more, really :).

message 7: by ★Meghan★ (last edited Sep 20, 2010 07:06PM) (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 278 comments Mod
Haha thought of one.

Read three books one where the cover has a headless woman, one with a headless man, and one with a headless woman and man. Requirement: There cannot be visible eyes. For help go to Headless Women and Dude, Where's My Forehead?.

This could be about 20-35 points I think.

message 8: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) wow, morbid. im soo going to do that one! talking of morbid, maybe reading 2 books where somebody has died already

message 9: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Okay, great ideas! Stray, how many points do you want yours to be?

Meghan: You think 25 would be good? Or 30?

message 10: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Meghan: Put it at 25; Stray: Put it at 20.

message 11: by Li-or (new)

Li-or Bitton (alwayscapricious) | 17 comments Im thinking a cute idea would be:

Read 3 books that were made into a movie.

Thoughts????

message 12: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) i like it

message 13: by ★Meghan★ (new)

Haha Li-or I was just thinking of something like that. Except mine was read books that are also movies because some movies were made before the books.

Looking at your idea, it gave me a thought for a spin on the idea. Though it may be hard for those that do not live in the U.S.

Read a book that is also a movie, read a book that is also a TV show and read a book that has never been either. :)

message 14: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) not hard, i think-at least for me

message 15: by Li-or (new)

Li-or Bitton (alwayscapricious) | 17 comments thats a cute idea but where would u get a list of books that are tv shows?

message 16: by Jessica (last edited Oct 06, 2010 02:36PM) (new)

Jessica (JessfromTex) | 31 comments Li-or wrote: "thats a cute idea but where would u get a list of books that are tv shows?"

Gossip Girl
Vampire Diaries
Pretty Little Liars
Sookie Stackhouse Series
Buffy the Vampire Slayer series
... these are just some i can think of off the top of my head- feel free to add any

and if there was a category for books that are movies/movies that are books, would that include books that are GOING to be movies? (the hunger games, vampire academy, etc.)

message 17: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) This is an awesome idea! I like what Meghan did to mix it up. What point range should it be at? 35? or 25? One of those.

Jessica, If you know for sure that the book/s are going to be turned into movies, then they will count :). Nice list. I will have to make a help topic for this task.

message 18: by ★Meghan★ (new)

I would go for either.

message 19: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) I'm thinking 35 since it's the only one that doesn't have two tasks. Will put it there. Thanks for the idea!! :D

Rachel (Raindrop Baker) (therootbeer) | 44 comments It would be cool if we had a challenge to make our own book, and have others in the group read how much they have and diligently read it. That was what I was thinking, even though it might not quite fit

message 21: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) "have others in the group read how much they have and diligently read it" That is where you lost me. Could you explain that part to me again please?

message 22: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (JessfromTex) | 31 comments okay so I thought these two ideas might be intersting, but if they totally suck, just say so :)

1.) A task where you have to read 2 books from an author from another country. So, if you live in America you could read a book from and Australian author and a British author. I'd say that would be worth about 15 points

2.) Paranormal Task- Where you have to read three books: one about vampires, one about werewolves, and one about ghosts (or witches?). That could be worth 20 points or so

message 23: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) I'm thinking 25 for the second one? And they are very great ideas! :D I will add them. Think I will put 2.) under 25 points. Thanks for the awesome ideas, Jessica! :P

message 24: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (JessfromTex) | 31 comments yay thank you :))

message 25: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) i really like the first. its very easy for me to do that one lol

Rachel (Raindrop Baker) (therootbeer) | 44 comments Zakiya wrote: ""have others in the group read how much they have and diligently read it" That is where you lost me. Could you explain that part to me again please?"

sorry....umm.....like if the person hasn't finished the story and is still writing, have that person continuously read the book. does that make any more sense?

message 27: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Oh!!! I get it now, thanks. That does sound liek a really cool idea. It doesn't necessarily fit, but I'm sure we can think of a way to where it does. :)

Rachel (Raindrop Baker) (therootbeer) | 44 comments ok! thanks, that was just the first thing that came to mind

message 29: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Hmm, I will have to think about that one over the holidays. We could tell them to write their stories now, like a short story. And then it can be a challenge task for March - August 2011.

message 31: by ★Meghan★ (last edited Nov 21, 2010 06:46AM) (new)

How about...

Read a book that has less than 1000 reviews on Goodreads and read a book with more than 25000 reviews? OPTIONAL: What did you think of them?

message 32: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Ahh, good one. It is def a challenge. They might have to look a little. What point range?

message 33: by ★Meghan★ (last edited Nov 21, 2010 05:04PM) (new)

Hmmm... I was thinking 15-25 points.

It actually isn't that hard. I found quite a few on my TBR list that were under 1000 reviews. But there was only a couple of mine that were more than 25000

message 34: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (JessfromTex) | 31 comments how do you know how many reviews a book has?

message 35: by ★Meghan★ (new)

If you just look up a book there, it says right next to the average rating.

message 36: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (JessfromTex) | 31 comments oh LOL! thank you :)

message 37: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Thanks, Meg. I will add it right after I finish this busy work. Shouldn't take long. Thanks for telling us where it was, too, cuz I didn't know either.

message 38: by Nicolle (new)

Nicolle You could do books which are about food e.g Girl Meets Cake, Like Water for Chocolate, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory,and drink e.g Lemonade Mouth Cider with Rosie.
It could be worth around 20 points?

Climates/weather.
Sun - The Salt Road
Snow - The Brief History of the Dead
Rain - Twilight

maybe 10 points?

message 39: by AnQi (last edited Nov 25, 2010 03:45PM) (new)

AnQi (anqiyu) I thought it might be cool if we had a review task, where you have to write a well-developed review to be able to receive points. It would be hard though to be able to monitor if a review was 'good enough' to be allowed points, though.

message 40: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Yeah making sure it was a good enough review would be the ugh part. I like that idea though. Im sur we can figure out how to make it work, though!

Nicolle, I like both of your ideas. I will have to add them as soon as i get to an actual computer though because I'm on my moms iPad and it's hard to it stuff on here.

Thanks for the wonderful ideas, ladies!!

message 41: by Nicolle (new)

Nicolle We could read one book from each decade in the 1900s. Which I think should be worth 50 points as it is 10 books.

Also spell out the name of a day of the week with books.

Also books which are numbers e.g.One Hundred Years of Solitude.

message 42: by ★Meghan★ (new)

Ooohh Nicolle you gave me an idea:

Since it is the end of the decade read a book published in each year of this decade (2000-2010)? I was thinking 75-100 points since it is 11 books? Or they could pick 5 from different years for 50 points?

message 43: by Nicolle (new)

Nicolle I'm such an inspiring person! HAHA!

That is a brilliant idea, we'll see what Zakiya thinks....

message 44: by AnQi (new)

AnQi (anqiyu) I love your ideas, Nicolle and Meghan! I hope Zakiya likes them...

I wonder if we have a genre task. Do we? I was thinking we could read one realistic fiction, historical, non-fiction, fantasy, humor-there's a lot. I think it could be, say, 40-50 points, since it's a lot of books, and switching from your preferred genre to another is a lot of work. (At least for me.)

message 45: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Geez, these are all awesome ideas! I will def put the end of decade task up there. Some of these, however, I am going to write down and save for when we start our new session. I'm not sure which ones yet, but I'll let you all know. Awesome ideas, everyone! :D

message 46: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Nicolle wrote: "You could do books which are about food e.g Girl Meets Cake, Like Water for Chocolate, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory,and drink e.g [book:Lemonade Mouth|4..."

For your climate/weather task, how exactly would I word what to tell them to read?? Need help with that; thanks.

message 47: by Nicolle (new)

Nicolle Erm...well you could pick say 5 types of weather and say the book has to involve this weather for at least 2 chapters in the book?

Snow, Rain, Sunshine, Storm ect.

(It snowed last night here!! :D )

message 48: by ★Meghan★ (new)

Ooh or they could have them in the title of the book...or on the cover art?

Haha I am really good at thinking of ideas off of other people.

message 49: by Nicolle (new)

Nicolle Yes that's a great idea!

message 50: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) ★Meghan★ wrote: "Ooohh Nicolle you gave me an idea:

Since it is the end of the decade read a book published in each year of this decade (2000-2010)? I was thinking 75-100 points since it is 11 books? Or they cou..."

I was writing this one down for 2011 tasks and realized: 2010 was the beginning of a new decade! So technically this a little behind, bu tI am going to post and say books from 2000 - 2010. That okay?

« previous 1