Start by marking “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Charlie Bucket, #1)” as Want to Read:
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Charlie Bucket, #1)

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

(Charlie Bucket #1)

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  561,112 ratings  ·  9,945 reviews
Willy Wonka's famous chocolate factory is opening at last!

But only five lucky children will be allowed inside. And the winners are: Augustus Gloop, an enormously fat boy whose hobby is eating; Veruca Salt, a spoiled-rotten brat whose parents are wrapped around her little finger; Violet Beauregarde, a dim-witted gum-chewer with the fastest jaws around; Mike Teavee, a toy pi
Published June 2nd 2005 by Puffin (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, please sign up.
Dayanara its about a boy who cant afford anything found a golden ticket in order to go to the chocolate factory but u can read it and find more about it....
Amelia charlie buys 2 chocholate bars and the 3rd one has the golden ticket inside
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanTwilight by Stephenie MeyerThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Giver by Lois Lowry
Best Young Adult Books
11,193 books — 76,734 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeePride and Prejudice by Jane AustenTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
Best Books Ever
53,742 books — 187,277 voters

More lists with this book...

Patrick
Tonight I just finished reading Charlie and the Chocolate factory with my son. This is the first chapter book I've read all the way through with him. And it was a ton of fun.

First off, I'll admit that I love the movie. I grew up with it. (I'm talking about the Gene Wilder version, of course.)I'll even admit to liking the movie better than the book. Which is something that doesn't happen very often with me.

That said, the book is really, really good. It held my four-year old's attention. It's si
Grace Tjan
Jess, my 7 year old little girl, gives it 5 stars.

Comments while reading:

“How come someone is called ‘Gloop’? And ‘Salt’? Isn’t that the thing that we use for cooking?”

“What is ‘spoiled’? Oh, okay, I’m NOT spoiled.”

“Huh, Grandpa Joe is 96 years old?! How come that he’s even older than my grandpa?”

“How come Charlie’s dad can’t work at the toothpaste factory anymore? What does ‘bankrupt’ mean?”

“Will Charlie ever get the golden ticket?”

“Yes! Charlie found it!”

“Mr. Wonka looks like a clown!”

“How com
Lyn
Nov 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Gene Wilder June 11, 1933 - August 29, 2016 - Goodbye Gene, you'll always be Willy Wonka to me.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl first published in 1964 was an immediate children’s classic and has inspired two film versions.

I was surprised to see that neither of the films came close to Dahl’s text. Dahl’s Willy Wonka is a dark creature who killed children, crushed their bones and baked them into the candy bars.

description

Just kidding.

This is of course a delightful children’s / young adult fan
Jan-Maat
Slightly odd story of virtuous poverty rewarded by the evil capitalist who caused the poverty by firing all his workers in favour of employing non-human immigrants.

Unemployment from the chocolate factory, apparently the only consumer of labour in the otherwise stagnant economy of Charlie's home town, (proving I suppose that an excess of chocolate is really bad for you both economically and physically) requires that all of his grandparents have to live and sleep in one bed while the family slowly
JV
Dark humour, sinister undertones, and playful whimsy blend together to create a classic children's literature that is lusciously sweet and delightfully disturbing!
"Mr Willy Wonka is the most amazing, the most fantastic, the most extraordinary chocolate maker the world has ever seen!"
Come now, dear readers! Behave and pull yourselves together! This is not the time for dillydallying. Willy Wonka is about to welcome five lucky kids into his mysterious factory! The caveat? Only five of these Golde
Bookdragon Sean
I was planning on writing an extremely argumentative review explaining how sadistically vile Willie Wonka is, and how his god-like complex ruined the lives of four flawed children. But that seems insensitive at the moment.

Instead I shall simply say that Gene Wilder dominated his performance as Willie Wonka. He carried all the outward charm, the charisma and the playfulness, but still managed to portray the suggestions of darkness that permeate this character’s heart. Wonka is far from a good ma
Miranda Reads
Everyone knows this story. Little Charlie Bucket lives with his parents and both sets of grandparents. They all depend on his father for money and he just lost his job. They're running out of food, fuel and money when (just in time) Charlie find a golden ticket.

This golden ticket allows him and two guardians into Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory for a tour. Charl
Henry Avila
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Somewhere in the cold climate of the northern United States, lived a poor little boy....constant hunger dominates his existence , freezing winds in the winter, flakes of snow falling down on his parent's shamble of a structure, the home they live in, on the outskirts of a large city, with his hard- pressed father and mother , four grandparents in a bed the ancients never leave , their small residence ready to collapse , cannot keep the weather out, Charlie dreams...food to eat not cabbage soup t ...more
James
Jan 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
One of the first books I ever read. I wanted to watch the movie, but wasn't allowed to until I read the book. And so I did. And now, every few years, I want to again. It's been a long time. But who doesn't love chocolate and dreams and wishes and gifts? I think I may read this series... only looked at the first one.

FYI - Wrote this review ~2017 from memory as I want to have a review for everything I remember reading. If I messed it up, let me know! LOL :)
Claudia Ramírez
This is actually 4.5 stars.
Ahmad Sharabiani
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Charlie Bucket #1), Roald Dahl
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is a 1964 children's novel by British author Roald Dahl. The story features the adventures of young Charlie Bucket inside the chocolate factory of eccentric chocolatier Willy Wonka. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was first published in the United States by Alfred A. Knopf, Inc. in 1964 and in the United Kingdom by George Allen & Unwin, 11 months later. The book has been adapted into two majo
Justin
Apr 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm sitting here on the couch watching Violet turn violet and fill up with juice before being sent off to the de-juicing room. The sun is going down, and it's almost bedtime out here, at least for the kids. My night is just beginning. I've been halfway following along with the movie and thinking about how awesome it was to be a kid- to dream of chocolate factories and eating a lifetime supply of chocolate with no fear of diabetes or a heart attack.

This was the first book I read all the way thro
Jason Koivu
Nov 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, fantasy, food, humor
I was ten years old and already the magic was gone from the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny, leprechauns, Santa Claus and his buddy the Krampus. All was stripped of its power to enthrall. Heck, even sex had been demystified years prior.

Then along came Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. It gloried in candy, my number one passion of the day. But not only that, eating candy was the means to getting even MORE candy!

description

Ah, the golden ticket. How, oh, how I longed for it to be a real thing! I would've tr
Luffy
Aug 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm giving the French version of this Rouald Dahl book 3 stars. As a teenager, I read the originally written book again and again. I thought the book lacked some pizzazz, which took me by surprise. what drew me more towards this translation was the desire to see how well the songs have been redone.

Augustus Gloop, the big nincompoop became le gros plein de soupe. All the other rhymes were not up to par. Verruca Salt became Verruca Sait, which for a long time, I thought to be a spelling mistake. A
Whitney Atkinson
The movie always fascinated me--both as a kid and adult--so I was really eager to jump into this and see if I could figure it out. But dude, i'm still stumped. I'm not sure if Willy Wonka is supposed to be mad, a genius, or a mad genius. There's just so many priceless lines of dialogue that the movies also captured so well, and this book is so whimsical and wholesome, yet dark with sort of a fable-esque message about greed and whatnot from the Oompa-Loompa's songs/poems.

I took a star off becaus
Matt
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook, children-s
Before there were amorous zombies, sleuthing twelve year-olds, or even a teacher who traipsed around in his underwear, children turned to Roald Dahl for their literary entertainment. I thought it the perfect time to zip through time and relive one of my childhood favourites, in hopes that I might soon introduce my son to the wonders of Willy Wonka and his glorious factory. Dahl opens by presenting the reader with Charlie Bucket and his family, confined to a small cottage on the outskirts of town ...more
Manny

"And now," said Willy Wonka, "we're going to see something extra special... my Metaphorical Candy Room!" He flung open the doors, and the five children peeked inside. Augustus Gloop beamed with delight.

"That's the BIGGEST BOWL OF SKITTLES I'VE EVER SEEN!" he yelled.

"Indeed it is, indeed it is," said Willy Wonka proudly. "Three point three million of them! One for every Muslim in the United States! But, before you eat any, I must warn you... some of them are POISONED!"

"How many?" asked Violet Bea
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
If you ever want to cheer yourself up, go back and read a book you loved and read over and over as a child. For me, this is one book that will always be better than any movie they make from it. Nothing Hollywood does with special effects will ever be as magical as what Roald Dahl did with just plain old words.

It has been MANY long years since I last looked at this book, but it all came back to me as soon as I turned to the first page and saw the illustrations. I was immediately carried away by
Manny
Apr 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Since the Swiss make the best chocolate figures in the world, I thought I would pick up a few to take with me to England. I was originally only intending to buy a couple of chocolate rabbits, engagingly goofy-looking with big buck teeth and natty bow-ties, but the selection was so enticing that I eventually walked out with four rabbits, a chicken with a marzipan waistcoat and a chocolate chalet. I explained to the nice assistant that they would be accompanying me to London later that day, and sh ...more
Tahera
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
I have watched both the movie versions of this book, one (Johnny Depp's version) more times than the other (Gene Wilder's version) and I have to say that it is Tim Burton's movie that really stays true to the book and adds a little bit extra to it by showing a bit of Willy Wonka's past as a child.

Coming to the book, it is an absolute joy ride! The thing about Roald Dahl's books is that you really don't need to be child to enjoy them....you can be an adult and still find his books enjoyable beca
Leonard Gaya
Having just finished a book on Hieronymus Bosch, I couldn’t help thinking about the painter's hellish pictures when reading this children’s book. The tale starts with little Charlie, living in utter misery in something like a hermit’s hut, with four elderly people laying all day in the same bed… A blend of St. Anthony and Death and the Miser. This is quite dreadful in itself, but hold on, it’s just an aperitif.

Next, little Charlie and a bunch of other children win a devilish marketing sweepstake
Duane
If you don't already know that Charlie inherits Willy Wonka's chocolate factory, then this review contains a spoiler.

"The meek shall inherit the earth". That biblical phrase certainly applies to this story. Charlie Bucket is the epitome of meek. But he is also serious, polite, kind, and...well, he is just the perfect kid. In this story he doesn't inherit the earth but he does inherit Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory. Ah! What a chocolate factory. The inside kind of reminded me of the Land of Oz.
Amin
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
خلاقیت رولد دال توی این کتاب واقعا مثالزدنیه. به نظرم اگه کسی دور و برش بچهای میشناسه که اندک علاقهای به کتاب داره، حتما باید این کتاب رو براش بخره و بهش بده که مطالعه کنه. البته نسل اینجور بچهها تقریبا منقرض شده و اکثر بچهها یه جورایی تبدیل به "مایک تیوی" شدن. اینکه این کتاب مناسب بچههاست، به این معنی نیست که افراد بزرگسال نمیتونن ازش لذت ببرن؛ من خودم از این کتاب خیلی لذت بردم.

شوخطبعی آقای ونکا هم واقعا جالب بود.
Leo .
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When I read this book as a child I was so immersed in the story my imagination was broadened. How exciting to find a golden ticket and gain access as a VIP in Willy Wanka's mysterious chocolate factory. Brilliant. The original film with Gene Wilder is a classic. In my opinion far better than the remake with Johnny Depp. I like Johnny Depp he is an amazing actor but Gene Wilder was Willy Wanka in my book. I often wonder about the names of these characters. Did Roald Dahl have a twinkle in his eye ...more
Ariel
Feb 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
THIS WAS GREAT! I've never read any Roald Dahl before, but of course I've heard of the legend and so when I was assigned to read this for my Children's Lit class I was super pumped. And best of all, I enjoyed it! There's always the fear that books won't live up to the hype, but I think this did.

I loved Charlie and his Grandpa as the main protagonists: they were humble, and sweet, and smart. I loved Willy Wonka: he was energetic and excited and brilliant and sarcastic as all hell. And I loved how
midnightfaerie
Feb 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics, childrens
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl is an obvious classic in my book. Besides the fact its been around for awhile already, it definitely has that magic factor that pulls you in. Anyone with even a remnant left of their kid's heart in them, will love this book. I believe this story, not the book, but at least the story has a huge following, due in part to the movie starring Gene Wilder. I love Johnny Depp, but he lacks the whimsical weirdness of the previous Wonka and is just weird. H ...more
Carmine
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amore per il cioccolato

Il permissivismo sempre più dilagante da parte dei genitori costruisce veri e propri mostri, difettati nella sensibilità e scarsi di comprendonio: l'umiltà e la generosità pagano sempre.
L'idea della fabbrica è un pretesto, incredibilmente suggestivo, sulla quale l'autore costruisce la semplice e importante morale di fondo.
Vitor Martins
Demorei bastante pra pegar esse livro pra ler achando que, por já ter visto os filmes e o musical muitas vezes, eu não encontraria nada de novo nessa história.
Mas como eu estava enganado!

Nenhuma adaptação, por mais fiel que ela seja, poderia substituir a escrita gostosa e brilhante do Roald Dahl. Mesmo sabendo tudo que ia acontecer na história, cada capítulo era uma surpresa muito gostosa.

O livro me deu uma visão muito diferente a respeito do Charlie e do Willy Wonka. Descobri um Charlie muito
Ray
Jun 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, novels
The latest in my recent teaching of Dahl books...

Yes I get that it's a beloved children's novel, and the whole weird Roald Dahl thing. And much has already been said of the problematic Oompah-Loompah problematic African pygmies thing (really it's much more offensive in the books about them being shipped in crates from their land, unlike the film adaptations where they're just unexplained magical creatures).

But what really bothered me is the lesson that the way to get out of poverty is to win th
Fatemeh Nazari
اولين بار فيلمش رو با بازى جانى دپ از تلويزيون ديدم. كوچيك بودم كه تماشاخانه شبكه ى پنج پخش مى كرد و من هر بار ميديدمش. عاشق اين فيلم بودم. عاشق ويلى ونكا و كارخونه ى جادويىِ شكلات سازيش بودم. عاشق اون قيافه و رفتاراى عجيب و غريبش بودم.
گذشت و گذشت تا يك ماه پيش كه تو شهركتاب چشمم خورد به كتابش. وسوسه شدم و خريدمش. و از اين بابت خيلى خوشحالم. فوق العاده بود. ايده ى كتاب و سبك نوشتنش جورى بود كه يكسره خوندمش و با اينكه تمام داستان رو ميدونستم و تك تك صحنه هاش رو حفظ بودم واسم كلى جذاب بود :)
يه تش
  • Pluk van de Petteflet
  • The Mouse and the Motorcycle (Ralph S. Mouse, #1)
  • The Best Christmas Pageant Ever (The Herdmans #1)
  • Me and My Little Brain (Great Brain #3)
  • De kleine kapitein
  • The Return of the Indian
  • Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #1)
  • Last Term at Malory Towers (Malory Towers, #6)
  • Piotr
  • Superfudge (Fudge, #3)
  • Tom's Midnight Garden
  • Three Tales Of My Father's Dragon
  • Wayside School Is Falling Down (Wayside School #2)
  • Bartholomew and the Oobleck

Charlie Bucket (2 books)
  • Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator (Charlie Bucket, #2)
“So please, oh please, we beg, we pray,
Go throw your TV set away,
And in its place you can install
A lovely bookshelf on the wall.
Then fill the shelves with lots of books.”
6682 likes
“Everything in this room is edible. Even I'm edible. But, that would be called canibalism. It is looked down upon in most societies.” 972 likes