We Love Lisa Kleypas discussion

Archives - Challenges > October's Build Your Own Challenge - No Restrictions!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 609 (609 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

message 1: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (last edited Sep 27, 2010 10:45AM) (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments October’s Build Your Own Challenge, challenge – No Restrictions!

Here’s another chance to create a challenge geared towards your needs. Have too many books on your To Be Read shelf? Challenge yourself to clear them off! Want to start a new author or catch up on a series you’ve let slide by the wayside? Now’s your chance!

There are no restrictions to this challenge other than you may not start until October 1st.

The duration of this challenge is October 1st-31st. Your list can be posted in advance, and changes can be made right up to October 31st.

message 2: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (last edited Nov 01, 2010 02:50PM) (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Participant's Post

Christine S.---------------7/7 - - - Complete!!!!!
Beverly-----------5/5 - - - Completed!!!!
Dhestiny-------------7/7 - - - Completed!!
Leah Pherocious------17/18
Bekah----------6/6 - - - Completed!!!
BJ Rose-------------6/6 - - - Completed!!!
BJ Rose BONUS BOOKS----------8!!!! Completed!
Cheryl ---------------- 6/6 - - - Completed!!!!
D.G.-------------------7/7 - - - Competed!!!!!!
DG Bonus Books-----------8!!!! Completed!!!
Danielle--------------6/6 - - - Completed!!!
Suzanne-------------- 20/20 - - - Completed!
Anja------------------------15/15 - - - Completed!
KK---------7/7 - - - Completed!!!!!!!!
Mollie----------6/10
Melissa-----------------2/8
Miss Kate--------3/7
Katherine-------------- 9/10 - - - Good Job!!!
Catherine---------------3/9
Becky----------7/8
Mandy-------------------7/9
Kate
Yen
CarolynF------------------7/7 - - - Completed!!!

Mollie *scoutrmom* (scoutrmom) | 170 comments I'll commit to this ... I'm going to be reading the newest Janet Evanovich (which is a paranormal) if my public library gets it for me, along with some classics like Dracula and Frankenstein and several Dodd historical romances as well. My goal is to get at least 15 titles cleared off my current 760-someodd to-reads, and as I read more than 25 each month, I think it's doable.

message 4: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Wow! That's a great challenge, Mollie! I'm trying to restrict myself to books I already own. If I can't STOP the madness of my bookshelves, I can at least make a dent in it!

message 5: by Leah (new)

Leah (leahkarge) I'm in, Dhes! I need to try to clear some of my TBR list. Not sure what I'll be reading yet, though.

message 6: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments No problem! You can make changes to this one right up to the final reading day :)

Glad to have you!

message 7: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments Count me in!

message 8: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Yay! Glad to have you Bekah :)

message 9: by Leah (new)

Leah (leahkarge) UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "No problem! You can make changes to this one right up to the final reading day :)

Glad to have you!"

Okay, great! Can't wait :D

message 10: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (bjrose) | 848 comments No idea yet what challenge to build, but I'm in!

message 11: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments LOL Glad to have you with us, BJ!

message 12: by Birdy (new)

Birdy | 23 comments Sign me up Dhestiny.

message 13: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Thanks for joining us, Yen!

message 14: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (last edited Oct 08, 2010 09:55PM) (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments October Build Your Own Challenge. I'm reading these in conjunction with the Build Your Own Challenge PNR Edition, and adding that I'm going to catch up with the Carpathians and read the first 2 Demonica series books, and read 3 other books from this list, for a total of 7 books.

Demons - Pleasure Unbound& Desire Unchained
Zombies - Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
Vampires - Dark Slayer& Dark Peril
Witches- A Witch's Beauty
Ghosts - Unholy Ghosts
Dragons – Dragon Actually
Shifters - Pride Mates
Monsters - Frankenstein

Dragon Actually (Dragon Kin, #1) by G.A. Aiken Pleasure Unbound (Demonica, #1) by Larissa Ione Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith Dark Slayer (Carpathians, #20) by Christine Feehan A Witch's Beauty (Daughters of Arianne, #2) by Joey W. Hill Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #1) by Stacia Kane Pride Mates (Shifters Unbound, #1) by Jennifer Ashley Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
Desire Unchained (Demonica, #2) by Larissa Ione Dark Peril (Carpathians, #21) by Christine Feehan

message 15: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 828 comments Sign me up too. I want to read a new author, read new releases and finish up some series. So this looks like the challenge for me.

Mollie *scoutrmom* (scoutrmom) | 170 comments UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Wow! That's a great challenge, Mollie! I'm trying to restrict myself to books I already own. If I can't STOP the madness of my bookshelves, I can at least make a dent in it!"

It's not as bad as it seems, I get more than half from the public library and most of the rest second-hand, many of which I turn around and swap away after reading. Gotta keep the addiction affordable! There are only about 40 of the 770 some-odd to-reads (yes, I added some since last posting) actually in the house. Plus, DH got me a Kindle and I can get many classics free on it.

message 17: by Kate (new)

Kate (literarykate) | 95 comments I'm in! I have Soulless waiting on my bookshelf and I'd like to finish the Queen Betsy series and possibly read a few other paranormals on my TBR list.

message 18: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Katherine wrote: "Sign me up too. I want to read a new author, read new releases and finish up some series. So this looks like the challenge for me."

That's why we'll keep offering this one, I think. It really helps!

Thanks for joining us :)

message 19: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Mollie - you're much more disciplined than I am. I own over 200 books that still need to be read.

message 20: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Kate wrote: "I'm in! I have Soulless waiting on my bookshelf and I'd like to finish the Queen Betsy series and possibly read a few other paranormals on my TBR list."

Sounds, great, Kate! We're glad to have you :)

message 21: by Katherine (last edited Sep 13, 2010 07:18PM) (new)

Katherine | 828 comments October BYO Challenge
I'll start my list so I don't forget the books I want to read.

1)Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a Lord - new release
2)Staccato - new author
3)Crave - new release
4) Wicked Appetite new release
5)An Offer From a Gentleman cont. series
6)Tempt Me at Twilight cont. series
7)Shotgun Bride cont series
8)Key of Knowledge finish series
9) The Prize new author
10)Then Comes Seduction cont. series

message 22: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Ooooh, I'm read Nine Rules right now! I just finished chapter 13 and LOVED the whole thing! When is Ten Ways being released?

message 23: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Oh, and the Prize is one of my all time favorite reads.

message 24: by Dina (new)

Dina (missdina) | 718 comments Okay, I'm in. I don't know what challenge I'll build yet, but I'll have it set up before October 1st. I still need to work on my September's challenges. So may challenges, so little time. ;)

Mollie *scoutrmom* (scoutrmom) | 170 comments UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "... When is Ten Ways being released?"

The book page shows Oct. 26.

I don't know which books I'll choose for my 15, but I know Dracula and Frankenstein will be among them.

message 26: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Dina, I know what you mean. That's why I made the non-PNR edition with no restrictions at all. I was hoping it make it easier.

Thanks, Mollie! I'm definitely going to buy Ten Ways. I'm loving Nine Rules!

Mollie *scoutrmom* (scoutrmom) | 170 comments Katherine wrote: "October BYO Challenge
I'll start my list so I don't forget the books I want to read..."

I've read and love your #5-#8, I think you'll enjoy them. My problem with starting a list now would be those books I want to read before Oct. 1!

message 28: by Dina (last edited Sep 13, 2010 07:45PM) (new)

Dina (missdina) | 718 comments September's Build Your Own Challenge is killing me! I realized that I'm not good with challenges that don't allow me to change my reading list. I'm just too fickle!

message 29: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Dina, I know... I'm struggling with it too. I think I'll be able to make it, but I'm only committing to 6 for October. Reading 9 books that I can't alter is killing me!

But the weird thing is, it must be psychological for me because I want to read all the books I listed. I think it's just committing and not being able to change!

message 30: by Dina (new)

Dina (missdina) | 718 comments It's definitely psychological for me. I took extra care selecting the books, I wanted to read them before the challenge started, but now... Fickle, fickle!

message 31: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Me too!!!!!!! ***sigh*** Oh well, we'll persevere!

♡Meme♡Reads love♡ | 6 comments It's funny I had mention some where on another thread that I was apart of many groups with challenges. I couldn't keep up, but this is just up my alley. On my book shelf I had start to make my own for the next two months. This helps a lot it will be a good way to finally knock some of my books off my list.

message 33: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments That's great, Meme! I'm glad we can help :) Build Your Own Challenges will probably be a permanent part of this group, so you can start planning now. There will always be a generic, no restrictions one and usually a themed one as well :)

♡Meme♡Reads love♡ | 6 comments Oh yeah here is my list I forgot. I'm trying to finish series books I've started. Right now I'm reading the Vampire Academy series and The Mortal Instruments, and Maggie Stiefvater's. I need to get these out of the way this month. So I can start on some adult reading for a change.

message 35: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments That sounds good! As you complete a book, list your progress like this: 2/4 or 3/4 etc. Also list your books, that way others can see what you're reading and maybe get ideas!

♡Meme♡Reads love♡ | 6 comments Thats good to know, Thanks this is great!

message 37: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (ghemomma) | 900 comments I believe I can handle this challenge! Sign me up!

message 38: by D.G. (new)

D.G. Wow! The You open the challenge early!

As October is my birthday month, I'll read what I want for the most part. BUT I'm really behind in some of my personal 2010 challenges, I really need to get moving. So here's my challenge:

Read 4 Books By Male Authors
Read 4 Books From my C-1p Shelf (this shelf contains books that have been on my TBR for more than a year)

This can cross reference as I have several books by male authors that have been on my TBR for over a year so I won't say I'll read 8 books.

message 39: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 828 comments Mollie wrote: "Katherine wrote: "October BYO Challenge
I'll start my list so I don't forget the books I want to read..."

I've read and love your #5-#8, I think you'll enjoy them. My problem with starting a l..."

I'm loving the Key triology. I had read #3 first. But it didn't really matter. Trying to finish up the Bridgerton sereis but there are just so many books to read.

I'm pretty good with staying with my list and I have most of these already. Looking forward to seeing what you decide to read.

message 40: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (last edited Sep 14, 2010 08:14AM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments Danielle's October Build Your Own Challenge

1. Read an anthology of classic horror stories:
Tales from a Gaslit Graveyard by Hugh Lamb

2.Read a short story collection by a new author: The Nightmare and Other Tales of Dark Fantasy by Francis Stevens

3.Read the next book in an ongoing series: Hex and the City by Simon R. Green

4.Read a historical-set YA book: The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey

5.Finally read one of the Hellboy novels you've been collecting: Unnatural Selection by Tim Lebbon

6.Finally read an Oscar Wilde story: The Picture of Dorian Gray

message 41: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 338 comments I'm in - I'll post later.

message 42: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments D.G. wrote: "Wow! The You open the challenge early!"

Yeah, I try to do it 2 weeks early to give everyone a chance to get their books lined up, make any changes, etc. I only do a couple so there's no problem getting them up early.

message 43: by Mandy (last edited Sep 22, 2010 12:38PM) (new)

Mandy Glover | 576 comments Count me in too! I love a good challenge! :)

This is from the October PNR challenge
1. Begin a new paranormal series by a new author
Stacia Kane
Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #1) by Stacia Kane
Unholy Magic (Downside Ghosts, #2) by Stacia Kane
City of Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #3) by Stacia Kane

2. Begin a new paranormal series by an already read author.
Sherrilyn Kenyon
Blood Trinity (Belador, #1) by Sherrilyn Kenyon

3. Read any paranormals from my TBR pile.
Found these two . . .
My Demon's Kiss by Lucy Blue
The Devil's Knight Bound in Darkness by Lucy Blue

4. Finish cleaning out my TBR pile.

That's a definate 8 PNR. I'm not sure how many are in my TBR pile right now. Total was 50 something, have to go through and pull out the PRN.

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) | 630 comments Count me in! I think I might go for a more general challenge this month, like read 20 from your TBR pile. Makes it a lot easier!!

message 45: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Yay! Welcome, Suzanne and Mandy :) Glad to have you with us :)

message 46: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 828 comments Danielle I'm anxious to see what you think about The Picture of Dorian Gray. After I read the book I had to watch the movie.

message 47: by Birdy (last edited Sep 30, 2010 07:18PM) (new)

Birdy | 23 comments Yen's October Build Your Own Challenge

Must read list:
1. The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins
2. Catching Fire - Suzanne Collins
3. Covet - J.R. Ward
4. Conspiracy In Death #8 - JD Robb
5. The Duke – Daelen Foley

The Hunger Games (Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins Catching Fire (Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins Covet (The Fallen Angels, #1) by J.R. Ward Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8) by J.D. Robb The Duke (Knight Miscellany, #1) by Gaelen Foley

message 48: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments I'm excited to finally be reading it, Katherine. I want to see the movie with Ben Barnes and Colin Firth. I've seen parts of the B&W version.

Mollie *scoutrmom* (scoutrmom) | 170 comments Suzanne wrote: "Count me in! I think I might go for a more general challenge this month, like read 20 from your TBR pile. Makes it a lot easier!!"

If you think committing to 20 in a single month is easier, more power to you. I think it's nuts, but that's me. LOL :)

I can read 35 in a month, but my problem is usually that I'll want to go back and re-read so much that my to-read boxes just get fuller and fuller. So I'm only committing to reducing it by 15 (ignoring new acquisitions).

message 50: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments I'm loving everyone's choices. You're giving me some new ideas for reads. If you were all here I'd be hugging you! But my wallet doesn't like you much! LOL

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12 13