Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Fantasy Romance > Books involving ghostly interaction?

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jana (new)

Jana Hopkins | 21 comments I have been reading tons of books with shape shifters, vampires, fae and randomly have run a crossed paranormal romances that involved Ghosts in various ways. Any suggestions for authors, series or books to read that have ghostly interaction mixed in them?

Some examples of books of this sort that I have read are:

Linda Lael Miller:

Deadly Gamble
Deadly Deceptions.

Casey Daniels:

Don of the Dead
The Chick and the Dead
Tombs of Endearment
Night of the Loving Dead

Terri Garey:

Dead Girls Are Easy
A Match Made in Hell
You’re the one that I haunt
Silent Night, Haunted Night

Thanks for any input you can give me.

Fani *loves angst* (fanip) Dark Needs at Night's Edge, #5 in the Immortals after Dark series by Kresley Cole, has a ghost as a heroine while the hero is a vampire.

message 3: by new_user (last edited Sep 10, 2010 09:00PM) (new)

new_user | 1389 comments I've been looking for those too, Jana. I found My Favorite Phantom by Karen Kelley. I'm surprised there aren't more, since the idea has a lot of potential.

message 4: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 2659 comments Mod
The Cassier Palmer books have some ghost interactions.

Plus there are the Ghost Duster's series The Remains of the DeadDevil May RideDead and Kicking, that's the correct order too.

I have a couple more series similar to Ghost Dusters, but right now I'm sneezing my head off (think I'm coming down with a cold), have a headache and my chest hurts, so moving isn't a real big thrill to go look for them.
I'll try to remember to go look later.

message 5: by Jana (new)

Jana Hopkins | 21 comments Fani wrote: "Dark Needs at Night's Edge, #5 in the Immortals after Dark series by Kresley Cole, has a ghost as a heroine while the hero is a vampire."

I read that one, it was a nice twist in her series.

message 6: by Jana (new)

Jana Hopkins | 21 comments new_user wrote: "I've been looking for those two, Jana. I found My Favorite Phantom by Karen Kelley. I'm surprised there aren't more, since the idea has a lot of potential."

Oh I haven't read that author at all, added it to my to read list.

Thank you.

message 7: by Jana (last edited Sep 10, 2010 07:41PM) (new)

Jana Hopkins | 21 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "The Cassier Palmer books have some ghost interactions.

Plus there are the Ghost Duster's series The Remains of the DeadDevil May RideDead and Kicking..."

Awesome, glad I asked this question. You just added a new Karen Chance series to my to read list and a new author to add to my to read list.

Thank you.

message 8: by LilaBird (new)

LilaBird | 52 comments Anne Rice's Mayfair witch trilogy and also her Blackwood Farm books both have these awesome spirt/ghost things in them. I love all of them so much -- they're different from her vampire books. Actually, they're set in the same "world", so every once in a while a character or two will cross-over, but I really like that. Lestat actually plays a bigger role in the Blackwood Farm books. But either way, both series focus on the spirit/ghost aspect.
The Witching Hour (Lives of the Mayfair Witches, #1) by Anne Rice Lasher (Lives of the Mayfair Witches #2) by Anne Rice Taltos (Lives of the Mayfair Witches, #3) by Anne Rice
Blackwood Farm (The Vampire Chronicles, #9) by Anne Rice Blood Canticle (The Vampire Chronicles, #10) by Anne Rice

message 9: by Patty (last edited Sep 12, 2010 07:38PM) (new)

Patty (catnaping) A more urban fantasy series Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #1) by Stacia Kane Unholy Magic (Downside Ghosts, #2) by Stacia Kane City of Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #3) by Stacia Kane by Stacia kane
Some other's are more humorous books Spirited Away (Signet Eclipse) by Cindy Miles Into Thin Air by Cindy Miles Highland Knight by Cindy Miles MacGowan's Ghost (Signet Eclipse) by Cindy Miles Thirteen Chances by Cindy Miles by Cindy Miles
and Highlander In Her Bed (Signet Eclipse) by Allie Mackay Highlander in Her Dreams (Signet Eclipse) by Allie Mackay Tall, Dark and Kilted by Allie Mackay Some Like it Kilted by Allie Mackay by Allie Mackay and 50 Ways to Hex Your Lover (Jazz Tremaine, #1) by Linda Wisdom Hex Appeal (Jazz Tremaine, #2) by Linda Wisdom Wicked by Any Other Name (Jazz Tremaine, # 3) by Linda Wisdom Hex in High Heels (Jazz Tremaine, #4) by Linda Wisdom by Linda Wisdom
also not sure if you like YA books but Shade (Shade, #1) by Jeri Smith-Ready is about The Shift occurred seventeen years ago. Everyone born after the Shift can see and talk to ghosts.and A Certain Slant of Light by Laura Whitcomb which has ghosts who fall in love.thats all I can think of for now ;)

message 10: by Diane ~Firefly~ (last edited Sep 12, 2010 07:33PM) (new)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 97 comments Books/series I've read with ghosts:

Haunted (Women of the Otherworld, #5) by Kelley Armstrong The Summoning (Darkest Powers, #1) by Kelley Armstrong The Awakening (Darkest Powers, #2) by Kelley Armstrong The Reckoning (Darkest Powers, #3) by Kelley Armstrong Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, #3) by Jim Butcher A Babe in Ghostland by Lisa Cach The Cat's Meow by Emily Carmichael Strange Neighbors (Strange Neighbors, #1) by Ashlyn Chase Trouble in Mudbug (Ghost-in-Law, #1) by Jana Deleon Mischief in Mudbug (Ghost-in-Law, #2) by Jana Deleon Showdown in Mudbug (Ghost-in-Law, #3) by Jana Deleon What's a Ghoul to Do? (Ghost Hunter Mystery, #1) by Victoria Laurie Demons are a Ghoul's Best Friend (Ghost Hunter Mystery, #2) by Victoria Laurie Ghouls Just Haunt to Have Fun (Ghost Hunter Mystery, #3) by Victoria Laurie Ghouls Gone Wild (Ghost Hunter Mystery, #4) by Victoria Laurie Ghouls, Ghouls, Ghouls (Ghost Hunter Mystery, #5) by Victoria Laurie Every Demon Has His Day by Cara Lockwood Ghost of a Chance (Karma Marx, #1) by Kate Marsh Raintree Haunted by Linda Winstead Jones

books/series on my TBR with ghosts:
Night of the Living Deed (A Haunted Guesthouse Mystery, #1) by E.J. Copperman Ghost at Work (Bailey Ruth, #1) by Carolyn Hart Sex and the Single Ghost by Tawny Taylor Bustin' by Minda Webber

message 11: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) nora roberts in the garden trilogy has a ghost theme running through it...

Blue Dahlia (In The Garden trilogy, #1) by Nora Roberts Black Rose (In the Garden, #2) by Nora Roberts Red Lily (In the Garden trilogy, #3) by Nora Roberts

message 12: by Sandra J (last edited Sep 13, 2010 06:29AM) (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 451 comments There's the Casey Daniels' mystery series that starts with Don of the Dead (Pepper Martin, #1) by Casey Daniels . Pepper Martin can see and talk to ghosts and solves mysteries for them. It's a pretty funny series with some light romance.

message 13: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

The Ghost and Mrs. McClure is another mystery series with a ghost element.

Martina the Book Fairy (book_fairy) | 442 comments I just want to chime in for the Ghost Hunter Mysteries by Victoria Laurie that both Diane & Sabrina mentioned above. That's one of my favorite series! I adore, Gilly, a supporting character. :-)

message 15: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sophie714) | 126 comments Just finished reading Stacia Kane's "Downside" series... really enjoyed it :)

Martina the Book Fairy (book_fairy) | 442 comments For those who enjoyed The Time Traveler's Wife, I would suggest the ghostly Her Fearful Symmetry, also by Audrey Niffenegger.

Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger

message 17: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sophie714) | 126 comments can't say that i enjoyed "her fearful symmetry"... thought it was good until i got the ending...!!

did love time traveler's wife tho :)

message 18: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Keire (vickikeire) | 2 comments So "Her Fearful Symmetry" is also ghost related? I've heard terrible things about it but maybe I'll give it a shot.

Anne Rice's "Blackwood Farm" is ghost themed and gothic; Alyson Noel's "Immortals" series is YA but ghost-oriented and romantic, as is Kelley Armstrong's "The Summoning."

Anyone know any indie written ghost-themed romances?

message 19: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sophie714) | 126 comments Vicki wrote: "So "Her Fearful Symmetry" is also ghost related? I've heard terrible things about it but maybe I'll give it a shot.

yeh "her fearful symmetry" is ghost related. but i REALLY dont recommend it! i hated it to be honest. worst ending ever!

message 20: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (last edited Oct 03, 2010 07:45AM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) A really good ghost series is the Mediator series by Meg Cabot. A teenage girl and her family move to CA and she discovers she can talk to ghosts and they ask for her help. She also has the ghost of a teenage boy who lives in her bedroom! (That over the series she falls for, talk about complicated relationships.) lol

It's been so long I don't remember which order the books are in but here are some (if not all):

Shadowland (The Mediator, #1) by Meg Cabot Twilight (The Mediator, #6) by Meg Cabot Haunted (The Mediator, #5) by Meg Cabot Reunion (The Mediator, #3) by Meg Cabot Reunion (The Mediator, #3) by Meg Cabot Ninth Key (The Mediator, #2) by Meg Cabot Darkest Hour (The Mediator, #4) by Meg Cabot

message 21: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (last edited Oct 03, 2010 08:24AM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "The Ghost and Mrs. McClure is another mystery series with a ghost element."

I have 5 books in that series but havn't read them yet. (Just learned there is a 6th while doing this list so will have to put that on my PBS wish list. It doesn't come out til Mar 2011.)

The Ghost and Mrs. McClure (Haunted Bookshop, #1) by Alice Kimberly The Ghost and the Dead Deb (Haunted Bookshop, #2) by Alice Kimberly The Ghost and the Dead Man's Library (Haunted Bookshop, #3) by Alice Kimberly The Ghost and the Femme Fatale (Haunted Bookshop, #4) by Alice Kimberly The Ghost and The Haunted Mansion (Haunted Bookshop, #5) by Alice Kimberly The Ghost and the Bogus Bestseller (Haunted Bookshop Mystery #6) by Alice Kimberly

message 22: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Jackson (melaniejaxn) | 18 comments I have two-- Night Visitor and The Ghost and Miss Demure. Closer to horror than paranormal (but with a romantic subplot in the background is The Prince of Mist. There are beginning to a fair number of cozy mysteries with ghosts, but that is another genre....

message 23: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (imahoodieninja) | 170 comments Anyone know of a trilogy involving ghostly interaction?

message 24: by Mlpmom (Book Reviewer) (last edited Sep 29, 2011 09:59AM) (new)

Mlpmom (Book Reviewer) (mlpmombookreviewer) | 839 comments The Past Midnight series is really good and has its creepy moments for sure.
Past Midnight (Past Midnight, #1) by Mara Purnhagen Raising the Dead (Past Midnight, #1.5) by Mara Purnhagen One Hundred Candles (Past Midnight, #2) by Mara Purnhagen Haunting the Night (Past Midnight, #2.5) by Mara Purnhagen Beyond the Grave (Past Midnight, #3) by Mara Purnhagen

This is a trilogy, the second book is a novella and so is the fourth one posted.

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 538 comments ~Jessica~I'm a Hoodie Ninja~ wrote: "Anyone know of a trilogy involving ghostly interaction?"

the earlier posts mention The Darkest Powers Trilogy: The Awakening, The Summoning....

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 538 comments Also the Night Huntress series has ghostly interaction...

Mlpmom (Book Reviewer) (mlpmombookreviewer) | 839 comments First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1) by Darynda Jones Second Grave on the Left (Charley Davidson, #2) by Darynda Jones Third Grave Dead Ahead (Charley Davidson, #3) by Darynda Jones

This is a great series that also involves ghosts and hauntings.

Also if you like indies, this is a new series as well. Beautifully Broken (Spellbound, #1) by Sherry Soule

One of my favorite series is about a girl that can smell ghosts. It is a great fun series. It is YA though so be warned if you didn't want something YA.
She Smells the Dead (Spirit Guide, #1) by E.J. Stevens Spirit Storm (Spirit Guide, #2) by E.J. Stevens Legend of Witchtrot Road (Spirit Guide, #3) by E.J. Stevens

message 28: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (imahoodieninja) | 170 comments Thanks so much ladies!

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

I absolutely LOVED The Restorer! It's so beautifully written and deliciously creepy. I didn't see it listed above, but if it was, my bad :P

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

You can also try: The Mediator Series by Meg Cabot. If your looking for romance and paranormal, give this book a try and see if you like it.

Kitty

message 31: by P.A. (new)

P.A. Lupton (palupton) | 909 comments I was recommended The Abandoned (Graveyard Queen #0.5) by Amanda Stevens and The Restorer (Graveyard Queen #1) by Amanda Stevens . I haven't finished it yet but so far so good. On the spookier side which is good for Halloween

message 32: by Chantaal (new)

Chantaal Anna Dressed in Blood (Anna #1) by Kendare Blake

And adding my thanks to everyone else's suggestions in this thread, I've got a whole chunk of books for my TBR shelf!

message 33: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Dermott (shannondermott) Shade (Shade, #1) by Jeri Smith-Ready Shift (Shade, #2) by Jeri Smith-Ready , a really good Y A series.

message 34: by Robin (new)

Robin | 3 comments In The Academy The Academy (Afterlife,#1) by T.P. Boje by T. P. Boje the main character is a spirit. She has just died and now she is trying to figure out this new world that she belongs to now and her new body. She ahs to learn how to fly and go through walls and stuff. It is really funny and there is a great romance story in it as well. The sequel Serenity is out now too. I read somewhere that T. P. is planning lots of books in the series. I loved the first on and just bought the second today.

message 35: by Erica (last edited Oct 25, 2011 03:03PM) (new)

Erica | 19 comments This is a really cute book. The only downside is she completely skips over any of the sex scenes (if you like that) :) Stardust of Yesterday (Haunting Hearts Series) by Lynn Kurland

message 36: by Kate (new)

Kate (kshiv) | 96 comments Kelley Armstrong has some ghosts and necromancers as main characters in several of her books. The Women of the Otherworld Series. I really recommend it.

I must agree with some of the ladies above. I HATED Her Fearful Symmetry. it was so bad. Definatley will never be a re-read for me.

Cassie's Lost Fallen Angel of the Reading Stars (lostfalenangelofthemoonsstarz) | 5 comments Green Rider by Kristen Britain

message 38: by D (new)

D (d-lee) Here are some that are free ebooks on BN, Smashwords & kobo:
Living and Dying in the Hamptons or
Murder and Mischief in the Hamptons by T.L. Ingham.

Ghosts, murder mystery and humor!

message 39: by Oleander (new)

Oleander | 92 comments I second the recommendation for Amanda Steven's Kingdom series. Excellent southern gothic.

If you want a ghost romance I recommend Immortal Bride by Lisa Childs or Gwen's Christmas Ghost by Lynn Kerstan

message 40: by Niaka (new)

Niaka (angelmama09) | 4 comments The-ghost-files free on WATTPAD app or site awesome start to her series book 2 still in production also the darynda jones series I'm on 4th now is pretty good. I'm also reading the mercy Thompson series lil bit of ghosts in that one

message 41: by S.K. (last edited Aug 21, 2013 06:54PM) (new)

message 42: by Kell (new)

Kell (dodonawind) | 5 comments Spirited by C.M. Stunich is a reverse harem novel about a half Angel who is a Spirit Whisperer. She has been trained in her field, but wants to go to the Academy of Spirits and Shadows to learn more. She finds out she is double blessed by 2 different gods and now she's trying to figure out how to use this second gift. She gets involved with a few different men, but most of them are ghosts. The first 2 novels are out and the third will be released this year.

message 43: by Troy (new)

Troy Tang | 11 comments More of a fairy-tale with some ghostly involvement, but my fairy-tale romance, Ruby Red and Gentilberry Green, features a magical ghost as main antagonist! Check it out if you're into witty romance with a touch of the power of love!

message 44: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Blood of the Maple the MC (a vamp) has a ghost as his best friend and "caretaker". The ghost does find a romantic connection, but he is definitely a side character in the book. Some humour in this book, and it's the first in a series, but I liked the series, so I'll recommend it.

message 45: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Tempted By Books (michelletemptedbybooks) | 195 comments Mlpmom (Book Reviewer) wrote: "First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1) by Darynda JonesSecond Grave on the Left (Charley Davidson, #2) by Darynda JonesThird Grave Dead Ahead (Charley Davidson, #3) by Darynda Jones

This is a great series that also involves ghosts and hauntings."

yes Yes and YES