Start by marking “Into Thin Air” as Want to Read:
Into Thin Air

Into Thin Air

A twelfth-century warrior-turned-Guardian Knight, Gawan of Conwyk is about to finally become mortal. But then he finds a beautiful woman by the side of the road near Castle Grimm-she is his soulmate, and it's up to him to save her life.

Ellie doesn't remember who she is or how she got to the north of England. Together they set out to solve the mystery of her almostdeath,
Published November 6th 2007 by Signet (first published January 1st 2007)

Courtney
Jun 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Gawan of Conwyck is an honest-to-goodness Guardian Angel. As an Earthbound Angel, he lives basically as a mortal, but with some perks: he can read minds, see ghosts, and influence people's actions (kind of like a Jedi). His responsibility: make sure any and all of his Charges are safe. The catch: neither he nor his charges remember each other when the saving is accomplished.

Ellie appear one day, in need of Gawan's help. She's mostly dead - nigh unto becoming a ghost herself, with her body lost a
Rachel Annie

This (mostly chaste) paranormal romance had one of the best HEA's I've read in a long time. Into Thin Air is actually the second in the series after Spirited Away, and I think I'll go back and read the first one at some point.
Jodotha
Mar 28, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: paranormal, romance
Read my requisite 50 pages, and am putting this one down. I may not pick it up again. What makes this harder is that the elements are THERE. It's like a Disney movie version of a romance novel, with a caring and dedicated hero, a damsel determined to be rescued one way or the other, and a whole host of very amusing sidekicks.
I really wanted to like this one, especially after I very much enjoyed the author's debut novel, Spirited Away.
I mean, come on, it's a romance novel. Not just a romance nove
Pandora
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sharon
Dec 17, 2018 rated it liked it
I usually read ghost stories but this one was intriguing. Gawan and Ellie were fully drawn. Just the jump from ghost to actual was a little hard sometimes.
Natasja
Aug 07, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ellie is in England to investigate her family tree on her mother’s side, but luck is not on her side. After being hit by a drunk driver Ellie’s body is in a waking coma status somewhere at the coast, leaving her spirit exists in a semi-solid state. But that is not all, she can’t remember anything about her life before the accident, or even how she got there in the first place. The only thing she remembers is the meeting with Gawan Grimm, a handsome stranger who finds her beside the road, soaking ...more
J.J. Levesque
Jun 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
Marcia
Feb 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: gave-away, own
This was a fun, light, entertaining read. I wanted it to really pull me in. It did not. Gawan can not compete with Jamie!!
Leya
Feb 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-book
Gawan is a earthbound Angel on his way to retirement and living the rest of his life as a mortal, he has one last assignment. He has to help Ellie. Ellie happens to be in between the land of the leaving and the dead. And she's also his soulmate, his Intended. The catch is that regardless of what happens they won't remember each other after the assignment.

I enjoyed the story. I found it to be quick paced but also a little repetative. The characters were interesting enough, but I more interested i
Phoenix77
Jun 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Not being a heavy "Paranormal Romance" fan, I appreciated that supernatural aspects of the lead characters wasn't made that big a deal, and the focus truly was on their emotional relationship. Even without the idea of Ellie and Gawan being soul-mates, there is a sense that they just complement each other so well. Knowing that they are Intended allows the author to skip much of the wooing and just get them together.

Unfortunately, there are some parts of the overall storyline that are ignored, br
Barbara ★
This whole book read as the second in a series yet it isn't tagged as a series book. After finishing the book, I investigated and found Spirited Away to be the first in the series. Reading this one first would help any reader in understanding what the heck is going on.

I found the first half of the book to be very confusing. There were tons of people (well ghosts really) and no introduction as to who they all were. Our hero, Gawan had no idea what the heck was going on and neither did our heroin
Gail
Aug 28, 2008 rated it liked it
This book comes somewhere in the middle of a series, apparently. It seems these medieval knight-type people have been cursed/blessed with eternal life--or at least a thousand years or so of guardianship of something. (It's been a while since I read it.) They all live in Scotland, and I wasn't real sure what they were guarding or doing. Anyway, the hero has to find his True Love before a deadline, or he'll lose his chance to retire (or something different that's bad will happen)--and she's shown ...more
Cale Knutson
Into Thin Air is a story will keep you on the edge of your seat. Based on the true story of eight individuals perishing on a dangerous Mount Everest adventure. This whole story kept me excited and curious to know what was going to happen next. I had no clue about what is was like to take on a climb up a mountain like Mount Everest. When a massive storm hits you will not know what to expect, who will die, and who will survive. The author narrates the story from personal experience and demonstrate ...more
Steph
Aug 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Sue Green
This book follows on from Spirited Away and contains some of the same characters.
The same characters (Tristan and Gawan) also appear in the later books of the Dark Ink Chronicles (same author, but under the name Elle Jasper). If you plan on reading these books and the Chronicles, it would be better to read these first as the Chronicles contain spoilers.
I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it. My only slight niggles would be that while Gawan is searching for Ellie there doesn't appear
Karen
Oct 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Ellie had an accident and lost her memory.....along with her body. She is "Betwixt" or between life and death. Put bluntly, she's a ghost...almost. Fortunately for her she is found by a Welsh knight, Gawan, who is a guardian angel of sorts with 22 days left before he retires into a mortal. Ellie has no idea what happened, who she is, or even why she is in England. Gawan discovers that she is his Intended and then the sparks fly! It's up to Gawan and his friends (and ghosts) to find out about Ell ...more
Amanda
Mar 27, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: guilty-pleasures
Book #89 of 2009

Another cute book from Cindy Miles. I enjoy the "medieval warrior meets charming American woman and falls in love" theme.

A couple of minor things bothered me. One, it seemed for much of the book, despite Ellie being "mostly dead" and needing to find her mortal body... it didn't seem like they did a whole lot of searching for her. They'd go out during the day, maybe talk to someone at the bookshop, and then it would be night and, apparently, too late to do anything else.

And we n
Jake
Feb 25, 2008 rated it liked it
Sara
Apr 27, 2014 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the book, but I felt there were a few plot holes that took away from the quality. I thought what happened to Gawan at the end didn't make sense. Ellie's family's fate also wasn't explained well. I remember there were more bits that seemed to be ignored so that the story could continue but I can't remember them now. At this point I don't care. I just won't read anymore of this author's books.
Lisa
Jul 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
A guardian angel days from retirement; his Intended near death. She becomes his new 'charge'. Will she survive? Will he find her in time? Will she 'remember' him? Looking for a fun, sweet story, with feisty characters, gossipy ghosts, manly men, and fabulous castles? Cindy Miles delivers.
I actively look for books by Ms Miles. This is the second time I've read this one. I'm sure I'll read it again. I like her books that much.
Alauna
Mar 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute story

The book was pretty good, although some parts were a little hard to swallow. Would recommend reading "Spirited Away" first as there are references to that book in this one. I didn't like this book as much as I liked the third in the series," Highland Knight". Now, after reading this book, I would have to say I'm not sure if I will read the first book," Spirited Away. Was a little disappointed in this book, but it was a cute story anyway.
Shauna
Jun 07, 2009 rated it liked it
There are things I don't understand why they have to be there. Really, aside from the epilogue, which I was prewarned about and didn't read until I saw my daughter checking out what books I was reading, it's pretty good. I read the last page after that just to see what she had read, but she didn't understand it, just the love forever stuff. Phew!
Tonya Baldwin
Jun 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: ghosts
This book was a little slow getting into it, and it kind of dragged, but I really liked her other books I read so I kept with it and about half way in, it started picking up, although her books are kind of predictable and the format is repeated in her books they have a good plot to them and they are enjoyable to read. I would like to see her maybe change things up a little in her next book.
nimrodiel
When I started this book it seemed familiar. But the middle seemed different from what I was remembering. It wasn't until the end of the book that I knew I had read this before. The book came out before I kept track of books here on goodreads, so I think I may have read it shortly after it was published in 2007.

This was a nice quick and light read. Perfect for the summer weather reading.
Aileen
Mar 16, 2009 rated it liked it
I finally finished reading this book. Took me a while and I even considered ABANDONING it. I enjoyed how the ghosts from Castle Grimm as well as the other supporting characters were written it, but there were times when the story just got a bit too draggy for my taste, but I still pushed through and the ending was nice. Cute and charming too.
Amber Gray
Apr 08, 2008 rated it liked it
I would have given this book more stars, however it had a very slow, hard to get into start. Once I did get into the book, it was very enjoyable. Gawain the hero was very fun to read, and I loved all the secondary characters.
Mary23nm
May 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Good book, about 3 1/2 stars. Kept putting the book down, which is always a bad sign for me. Too much 'filler' in the middle with much repeating of things already said. Could have skipped about 100 pages, I think. Good beginning and good ending. Entertaining but not for the 'keeper' shelf.
Janice
May 15, 2014 added it
Loved it. Gave a whole new insight into mountain climbing. Couldn't put the book down but found it very sad in the end. Guess you must follow your dream where ever it takes you and then live with it.
Andrea
May 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Very likable characters and a unique, original plot. I rarely give five star reviews, but this book earned it. I was laughing out loud at some parts and tearing up at others. The author also provided a very satisfying ending. I definitely see myself reading this again in the future.
Jessica
Jun 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. With all the supernatural themed books out there, it's hard to find something that is truly original & refreshing - and I was happy to find exactly that in Cindy Miles' works. Can't wait to read the rest of her backlist!

• A Highlander Christmas
  • Tall, Dark and Kilted (Highlander #3)
  • A Time for Love (de Piaget, #1-2; de Piaget/MacLeod, #5 & 7)
  • Mystical Warrior  (Midnight Bay, #3)
  • A Highlander's Destiny (Daughters of the Glen, #5)
  • How to Lose an Extraterrestrial in 10 Days (Otherworldly Men, #3)
  • A Man In A Kilt (Castle Blackstone, #1)
  • The Christmas Cat (Includes: de Piaget, #4.5; de Piaget/MacLeod, #2.5)
  • Haunting Warrior (Mists of Ireland, #2)
Cindy Miles is the best-selling author of twelve novels, one anthology and three short stories. She also writes as Elle Jasper, and grew up on the salt marshes of the Vernon River in Savannah, Georgia.