Joseph Beth Sci-Fi Book Group discussion

Suggestions for next months read

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stacey Jo (last edited Sep 09, 2010 09:30AM) (new)

Stacey Jo (st1ac2ey3) | 214 comments Mod
If you think of a book during the month that you want to throw on the table as a nomination for next months read, feel free to share it here ahead of time.

message 2: by Stacey Jo (new)

Our October book has already been suggested by Steve, The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, for Halloween. Maybe to appease Mr. Eric we can do his Go Go Girls book in November before he establishes a coup...we've seen how the power goes to his head while he sat in for Andrew! ;oD

message 3: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 85 comments Since sleepy hollow is a classic now And published by different companies do they all stick strictly to the same text or are their differences between versions? Probably a dumb question that I feel like I should know the answer to already.

Do we need to decide on an edition?

message 4: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 85 comments Also Eric makes a great number 2. He brought us Gils all fright diner. Pure awsome.

message 5: by Stacey Jo (new)

Daniel wrote: "Since sleepy hollow is a classic now And published by different companies do they all stick strictly to the same text or are their differences between versions? Probably a dumb question that I feel..."

No, actually, I had thought the same thing so glad you voiced it. There are a lot of editions and not sure if there are big differences. I'll take a look and get back to you.

message 6: by Stacey Jo (new)

Stacey Jo wrote: "Daniel wrote: "Since sleepy hollow is a classic now And published by different companies do they all stick strictly to the same text or are their differences between versions? Probably a dumb quest..."

I was talking to Cam at lunch today and the story itself shouldn't change any between the editions so it shouldn't matter.

message 7: by Stacey Jo (new)

I would like to suggest a group read of The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, actually starting with The Hobbit. Cam and I were talking about it and she said she is about due for a re-read of the series and likes the idea. Anyone else's thoughts?

We don't have to do a straight re-through, although I'm game for it, if others feel like that's too much Tolkein. We could throw other books in there.

I'd like to propose that regardless, we add a little more fantasy to to mix. I know Cam agrees with me on this. Sci-fi is great, but maybe alternate with fantasy so those who like fantasy can get some in too. Any thoughts on that?

message 8: by Stacey Jo (new)

So far Cam and I are voting for The Hobbit for the December book and Twila said that sounds good. That's a good fantasy read. Any thoughts? Opposition? It's going to be released in theaters in 2011 (the first part) so now's a good time to read it.

message 9: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 85 comments I have read he hobbit and LOtR books numerous times. I don't mind re-reading the hobbit as that is probably the one i have read the least. Since I have read them quite a bit not sure I would want to go through them very quickly.

However I am partial to fantasy so would enjoy a few more those books in the mix.

message 10: by Aprile (new)

Aprile Anne McCaffrey just passed away. I'm biased because I love her but I think we should read one of hers. Short bits from Dragonflight got her a Nebula and Hugo award and it is the first of the series, so that's one possibility. The White Dragon was one of the first science fiction books to make the NYT Bestsellers list. I believe she was the first female author to win either award. Restoree is another option, I haven't read it in awhile but she wrote it to show off a strong, capable leading heroine, instead of a woman cringing in the corner waiting for the man to sweep in and save her. Mark might be sad if we read a book in a giant series but I like 'em lol.

message 11: by Stacey Jo (last edited Dec 06, 2011 03:53AM) (new)

Aprile wrote: "Anne McCaffrey just passed away. I'm biased because I love her but I think we should read one of hers. Short bits from Dragonflight got her a Nebula and Hugo award and it is the first of the series..."

That's sad news. I love dragons so I'm fine with reading anything about them. McCaffrey is one of the authors that I've always wanted to read and intended to read but have not gotten around to yet.

message 12: by Stacey Jo (new)

Hey guys, we've been coming up with picks for months ahead and at our last meeting we were talking about coming up with titles for February. Aprile suggested an Anne McCaffrey book, which me and Cam have talked about and both liked the idea. Cam won't be at our meeting in December but she liked the idea of a McCaffrey book too. I would vote for Dragonflight by Anne McCaffrey since it's the first in the series. If we did that in February, then I throw out some titles for March:

I've been in the mood for some steampunk and this one has zombies in it so Eric should like that :o)

Boneshaker (The Clockwork Century, #1) by Cherie Priest

A time travel novel where the MC has the power to change events in the past:

11/22/63 by Stephen King

I thought this one sounded really interesting in that it involved the Kennedy assassination.

I thought it would be cool to read The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien at some point later this spring since the movie is coming out this year.

So those are a few titles that you can look at if you want and we can talk about them tomorrow night.

message 13: by Stacey Jo (last edited Dec 17, 2014 09:03AM) (new)

I was looking around at some books and saw some interesting ones for March based on what they are about and customer reviews. Thought I would throw these out there. These are all offered in paperback and Kindle versions. Some are older, some newer. Of course we will throw books on the table like we always do, but I've come prepared at the next meeting with a list of books here that I thought looked interesting.

Red Rising Red Rising (Red Rising Trilogy, #1) by Pierce Brown by Pierce Brown

Doomsday Book Doomsday Book (Oxford Time Travel, #1) by Connie Willis by Connie Willis

The Way of Shadows The Way of Shadows (Night Angel, #1) by Brent Weeks by Brent Weeks

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

Grounded Grounded by G.P. Ching by G.P. Ching

message 14: by Stacey Jo (last edited Jan 29, 2018 05:31PM) (new)

message 15: by Stacey Jo (new)

We're looking for suggestions for our holiday themed book for December. We've had some suggestions thrown out at last months meeting:

I Saw Zombies Eating Santa Claus: A Breathers Christmas Carol by S.G. Browne

Claus: Legend of the Fat Man by Tony Bertauski

Any other suggestions?

message 16: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 85 comments Suggestion for August 2019

The Aeronaut’s Windlass
By Jim Butcher

His first book in his Cinder Spires series. I think steam punk ish. We all typically like his books so figured might be a good palate cleanser as I mentioned last time.

message 17: by Stacey Jo (new)

Daniel's post that I moved from another thread:

Just saw the adds for the second season of the space show Expanse on SyFy channel coming in February. I liked the first season and thought might be interesting to check out the books hey were based on.

Here is the first in series

Leviathan Wakes
James S. A. Corey

Expanse #1

Something to consider whenever we are up for another space story.