Aussie Readers discussion

Archives > Do you have ideas or suggestions for the group in 2011?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 163 (163 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda Do you have questions or suggestions regarding the group? We're happy to hear them. :)

message 2: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline George (jacquelinegeorge) No, but congratulations on breathing life into the group. It had languished for a year or two, with very little participation. You have managed to get the ball rolling and it is up to all of us to keep up the momentum.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Maybe a few general chat threads. Perhaps we could bore each other silly complaining/rejoicing about the weather?

message 4: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda Thanks Jacqueline and Gail. Gail I think you're right, I'll add a general chat thread to the Introductions.:)

message 5: by Jan (new)

Jan (auntyjan) The weather? It's terribly dark and windy with lots of rain here in Perth...and with the speed it's blowing, should hit the east coast today or tomorrow...batten down the hatches, get more sandbags, Shepparton!

message 6: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda Yeah the weather is a favourite topic for us.:) I thought we could talk about it in th general chat thread so if it's alright with you I'll paste your Perth weather update over in that thread...

message 7: by Jan (new)

Jan (auntyjan) Must've hopped out and hopped back in to wrong discussion oops! Do you want me to delete no. 5 and this one now?

message 8: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda It's fine Jan, you can leave them. I'm just really happy that people are making suggestions. I love it!! :D

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Mandy people have been identifying such interesting and facinating Music favourites, perhaps a dedicated thread to - Sharing what we are listening to might be worth adding? (I am sure you can come up with a better thread title.

Another thing that I noticed, were your "tips for the day". Maybe a thread dedicated to that, where people could ask or add tips, you could start by adding your tips?

Anything to keep the group active and interactive, just suggestions. Hope you don't mind.

message 10: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda No I LOVE suggestions!! That's a great idea about the music. I'll do that tonight.

Yes tips for the day could work too. I know another member Cheryl (a lovely US lady) often adds good things as well. I was thinking just to rename the 'Getting Around Goodreads' site might be good to start with.

message 11: by Tango (new)

Tango | 290 comments Do you discuss any books as a group? If so, where? I'm new here.

message 12: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda Tango wrote: "Do you discuss any books as a group? If so, where? I'm new here."

Not yet officially. I just took over as moderator a couple of weeks ago and have been busy recruiting new members and filling up the bookshelf. However there is a new book called Indelible Ink that has been getting rave reviews and they are reviewing it on the First Tuesday Book Club beginning October. I'm going to read it and post my thoughts after I watch the show. I thought that anyone else who that book appeals to might like to join me. Let me know if you're interested.

In the future I anticipate we would do group reads but I'm still wondering how to go about it seeing as we all have such diverse taste. The other thing I want to introduce is a 'Pick it for Me' Challenge where you get a partner who has to pick a book from our group bookshelf that reflects your usual taste.

message 13: by Jan (new)

Jan (auntyjan) Peter Carey's Parrot and Olivier in America has been short-listed for the Man Booker prize, so that would be another candidate for a group read, perhaps.

message 14: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Parrot and Olivier in America does look like a fun read, & my library has it, so I'd join a discussion!

message 15: by Dee-Ann (new)

Dee-Ann | 644 comments I was wondering if we could have groups which are state/territory specific in that we could find others who are close by and/or mention local events which may be happening.

message 16: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda Dee-Ann wrote: "I was wondering if we could have groups which are state/territory specific in that we could find others who are close by and/or mention local events which may be happening."

That's a great idea Dee-Ann! If I start a new folder (something like State by State round-up) will you put in something about NT? What do you think Gail?

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

It sounds like a very good idea to me. :)

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Dee-Ann wrote: "I was wondering if we could have groups which are state/territory specific in that we could find others who are close by and/or mention local events which may be happening."

Your suggestion seems to be taking off really well. Great work!!!

message 19: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Hi,
I'm not very computer savvy so if I make some mistakes in these post things, please forgive.
I've recently joined Good Reads and this is a sort of introduction cum suggestion...
I'm a mature-age student ;) studying Creative Writing at QUT in Brisbane and have published a novel, Adrift, which I hope I can interest the group in reading...
I also look forward to putting out some reviews once I have finished all my uni assignments for the year.

message 20: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda Kathy wrote: "Hi,
I'm not very computer savvy so if I make some mistakes in these post things, please forgive.
I've recently joined Good Reads and this is a sort of introduction cum suggestion...
I'm a mature-a..."

Hi Kathy, Welcome to the group. Why don't you start your own thread in the Aussie Author Spotlight discussion. That way you can add excerpts, announcements etc that might interest people in reading your book!:)

message 21: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Thanks, Mandy. I tried to find the Aussie Author Spotlight Discussion but no luck... I warned you. Could you point me in the right direction, please?
I see from your profile that you like paranormal stories. Are you a Keri Arthur fan? It's just that we were once upon a time in the same writing group :)

message 22: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda Kathy wrote: "Thanks, Mandy. I tried to find the Aussie Author Spotlight Discussion but no luck... I warned you. Could you point me in the right direction, please?
I see from your profile that you like paranor..."

Kathy click here. Then click on 'new topic' which is to the right of the grey bar. In the 'Topic' box type your name and the name of your book or whatever you like. Then type a msg in the comment box. When you click on the 'post' box your msg will appear as a new discussion thread in the Aussie Authors Spotlight folder.

Yes I am a big Keri Arthur fan. That sounds like it was a fun writing group!!:D

message 23: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Many thanks, Mandy! I realise I had actually found the place but didn't recognise it... duh. I'll pop something in there today.

message 24: by Jan (new)

Jan (auntyjan) Kathy wrote: "Many thanks, Mandy! I realise I had actually found the place but didn't recognise it... duh. I'll pop something in there today."

Never mind Kathy, I'm a complete technophobe and hardly ever even checked my emails until I broke my arm 5 months ago. I still have a lot to learn. (Sometimes I get my eighteen year old daughter to help me. It's very handy to have one of those...when they're awake! LOL
The Aussie Readers group is such a friendly bunch (naturally) and they don't seem to mind explaining things. They might be having a good laugh, but we can't hear them!

message 25: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Hi Jan, I see you're reading some interesting books. I've got to read Tess of Thomas Hardy fame soon for uni - I'm doing creative writing - so look forward to your review of Far From the Madding Crowd. (Wonderful movie with Julie Christie...showing my age here) Also have enjoyed another Iris Murdoch, The Sea, The Sea. I'm always interested in what others are reading! I'm almost finished The Slap which I did not enjoy at all but I can see why it's highly regarded, and have just begun Madame Bovary.
Nice of you to say hello...

message 26: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda We'd love to hear any ideas or suggestions for the group as we go into 2011. Feel free to talk about what you'd like to see more/less of. Maybe you've got ideas for celebrating the big events in Australia's cultural calendar e.g. Australia Day or Anzac Day. Maybe you'd like us to improve our book discussions. Maybe you'd like more competitions or giveaways. We're happy for any feedback you'd like to give us.:)

message 27: by Tony (new)

Tony Sacre Jacqueline wrote: "No, but congratulations on breathing life into the group. It had languished for a year or two, with very little participation. You have managed to get the ball rolling and it is up to all of us t..."

I second that!

message 28: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) I'm loving the summer reading challenge - maybe more stuff like that to help motivate me to read stuff I already have on Mt. TBR. For example "Sci-Fi or fantasy published before you were born" and "non-fiction - science" and "non-fiction - language/literature."

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Great idea Cheryl. The Summer reading has been a huge success. I am sure we can pull together a new challenge once the summer one is finished or maybe we could pull together a couple of mini challenges that are genre specific?

message 30: by Mandapanda (last edited Dec 28, 2010 10:33PM) (new)

Mandapanda Cheryl wrote: "I'm loving the summer reading challenge - maybe more stuff like that to help motivate me to read stuff I already have on Mt. TBR. For example "Sci-Fi or fantasy published before you were born" and..."

We do have a big year long Aussie reading challenge coming up but I want to tie that in with Australia Day (26th January for those who don't know!), so more on that soon.

But Gail & Cheryl I LOVE the idea of genre type mini-challenges. Sounds like loads of fun! Those ideas you've come up with Cheryl are great. I especially love the "published before your were born!" That could have a lot of people scratching their heads!;D

Perhaps we could do one mini-challenge per month (except Dec/Jan to give us a break over Xmas/New Year) with a different theme each month. We might start in February Hey?

I'd love if other group members had more theme ideas for our Monthly Mini-Challenges. Feel free to add any suggestions here... :)

message 31: by Dee-Ann (new)

Dee-Ann | 644 comments Mandy, I googled to see what is special about February in 2011 for Aust, and came up with the following:

Chinese New Year starting 3 February, Year of the Rabbit

Sydney Gay & Lesbian Mardi Gras

14th February ... the traditional Valentines Day, but it is also V-Day 'A global movement to stop violence against women'

6 February - NZ (Waitangin) Day Celebrations, which is NZ's annual celebration of the signing of the Waitangi Treaty.

thus a suggestion for a challenge is one or more of the following ...

1. A book relating to chinese culture/beliefs/traditions/characters;
2. A book relating to gay and lesbian rights/issues/stories/celebrations;
3. A book about love, violence or both;
4. A book written by a NZ author or set in NZ.

I am not very creative (creativity is on my 2011 new years resolution list) so this is just off the hat, but maybe these ideas could inspire someone to come up with something better.

message 32: by Laura (last edited Dec 28, 2010 10:59PM) (new)

Laura | 4298 comments A monthly suggestion could be 'Read a book outside your comfort zone'.

Some others-

Read a book starting with the first letter of your name..lol

Try a book that got translated into English from another country.

Pick up a book you can never finish and READ IT. Also state the reasons why you could never get through it in the first place to see if other people have the same opinions. And if you really can make it through it again state your reasons why.

hmm..that's all my ideas for now.

message 33: by Dee-Ann (new)

Dee-Ann | 644 comments Laura wrote: "A monthly suggestion could be 'Read a book outside your comfort zone'.

Some others-

Read a book starting with the first letter of your name..lol

Try a book that got translated into English from..."

Laura ... I like the idea of reading outside your comfort zone.

Another suggestion is that you read a book from a friends TBR list or you challenge a friend to read a specific book/s from their TBR pile (the last one is a bit scary).

message 34: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda I'm loving these ideas!! Even if I don't use all of them in monthly challenges, they will definitely be included in the seasonal challenges!! Keep 'em coming...

P.S. Dee-Ann, I've always thought you were very creative!:)

message 35: by Laura (last edited Dec 29, 2010 12:58AM) (new)

Laura | 4298 comments Dee-Ann, yeaah TBR from a friends list would be hella cool! I can see some now I'd be picking out and I wanna order.

Some other ideas in my head..

Check a review previous to reading a book and see IF you agree with what they have to say. See how you differ in your thoughts overal.

Read a book that you'd love to 'sell' to others in otherwords convince them that THIS BOOK is what they should be reading.

Write a some thoughts on the book you are about to read and the read someones light overview on the book..So maybe a book that is well known...And then write up your after thoughts and how your opinion may have changed (or not).

Find a book that was published in the month you were born.

Find a book the year you were born.

Read a book that is BIGGER(page wise) than you would normally consider.

Find a MOVIE and BOOK and watch the movie and then read the book and write up the differences/pet hates/likes/loves/dislikes between the two of them.

message 36: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments I had an idea about 2mths ago which I haven't suggested previously and please hound me down if you think it's ridiculous! We have a number of members who support good causes throughout the year & also many members who have family suffering from various illnesses/conditions.
My suggestion is that:
suggestions for a challenge are put in the hat (1 is selected)
suggestions for charities are put in the hat (1 is selected)
each member entering pays- say $5 per person (a paypal account could be set up perhaps by our moderators)
all donations collected go to the nominated charity in the name of Aussie Readers
perhaps one of our lovely authors could donate a book as a prize to the winner of the challenge(no pressure though)

Please feel free to tell me this is silly, but I think it's doable and so little for a good cause:)

message 37: by Rosanne (last edited Dec 29, 2010 04:56AM) (new)

Rosanne Laura that's a great idea - if you want terrific books that have been translated try Arturo Perez-Reverte's. He writes them in Spanish and they are very well translated. The Nautical Chart, The Club Dumas, The Flanders Panel... all amazing books. My kinda thing!

The Nautical Chart

The Club Dumas

The Flanders Panel

The Flanders Panel by Arturo Pérez-Reverte

The Club Dumas by Arturo Pérez-Reverte

The Nautical Chart by Arturo Pérez-Reverte

message 38: by Dee-Ann (new)

Dee-Ann | 644 comments another simple suggestion, is as February has 28 days, chose one book from the first 28 of your TBR pile ... you can see I am interested in tackling my TBR pile.

message 39: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Dee-Ann wrote: "another simple suggestion, is as February has 28 days, chose one book from the first 28 of your TBR pile ... you can see I am interested in tackling my TBR pile."

Everyone's ideas are great - this one especially for me, as I too really need to shrink Mt. TBR.

message 40: by Laura (new)

Laura | 4298 comments Lol Mt.TBR is so true!

message 41: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments I've got one of those too Laura & Cheryl, in fact I think we all have!!!

message 42: by Laura (new)

Laura | 4298 comments People should post the MT.TBR piles XD I was restacking mine last night and BOOM all the books fell..lol

message 43: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 68779 comments Mod
Carmel wrote: "I've got one of those too Laura & Cheryl, in fact I think we all have!!!"

I wrote all my books which I haven't read, and are in various places in the house, in a note book last night, which will be transferred onto my TBR list on here when I can...there are 58 of them!!! :D

message 44: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments Brenda wrote: "I wrote all my books which I haven't read, and are in various places in the house, in a note book last nigh..."

Ha Brenda, I'm sure orgainsing your list like that will make you read them quicker and of course you won't add to that list and before you know it you'll have an empty shelf, you're dreamin!!! LOL

message 45: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 68779 comments Mod
Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!! Hubby said 'don't buy any more' when I told him...
18 months ago I had all my books up to date, then I started going to the library, and now I mostly read library books, hence the pile growing here!! :D

message 46: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments Ha ha, I may not have a husband around here to say that, but it doesn't stop my two daughters!!
I'm sure each day I'm on GRs I add a few extra books to the list, plenty go on but I don't see much happening at the other end (read books)!! LOL

message 47: by Laura (new)

Laura | 4298 comments Brenda wrote: "Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!! Hubby said 'don't buy any more' when I told him...
18 months ago I had all my books up to date, then I started going to the library, and now I mostly read library books, he..."

Doesn't it feel strange when you actually 'catch up' though? I've only managed to do it once and I felt sad...LOL

message 48: by Mandapanda (last edited Feb 06, 2011 04:08PM) (new)

Mandapanda Hi everyone! Gail and I were talking at the end of last year about bringing a couple more moderators on board. This is mostly so our 'relaxing around the pool drinking cocktails' quality time is not taken over by the group! But seriously we thought that once we were over 1000 members (1092 today) and once we were into 2011 we would ask around for more people to help out.

So if you're interested, an Aussie and totally addicted to goodreads let us know. The sort of things we'd like the victims volunteers to do would be to join in the chat, help out with challenges, keep an eye out for book related stuff in the media to discuss here, and contribute any fresh ideas you might have.

Plus if your name is Russell and you look good in a gladiator outfit you will automatically be included... Oops that's my personal fantasy, sorry guys!!

Send me a PM if you're up for it. Remember we only have 2 spots so if you offer but don't get the nod it's just because someone else got in before you and not because we don't LUV you all!!!

message 49: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda Yay Carmel's joined our merry little band. Onya Carms!!:)

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

Congratulations Carmel.

« previous 1 3 4