Start by marking “The Nautical Chart” as Want to Read:
The Nautical Chart

The Nautical Chart

3.51  ·  Rating details ·  4,114 Ratings  ·  219 Reviews
Coy is a sailor without a ship.Tánger Soto is a woman with an obsession to find the Dei Gloria, a ship sunk during the seventeenth century, and El Piloto is an old man with the sailboat on which all three set out to seek their fortune together. Or do they?
Published June 7th 2004 by Mariner Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Nautical Chart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Nautical Chart

Penny
Jul 12, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF

I asked for the book as a present from my parents when it came out back in 2000 so that I could take it with me on my vacation.
This was nearly 15 years ago but I remember stubbornly giving it three different, very separate tries before finally giving up for good. I was determined back then to finish every single book I started, more so with this book since it came from my parents at my request, but I couldn't manage.
I only have one word to describe how my younger self felt while reading it b
Vonia
This was actually quite the disappointing novel. This is my third from Perez-Reverte, and the other two were significantly better. His voice is definitely there. As soon as I began reading, I recognized his voice. His writing transports the reader into another time and place, accompanied by a mysteriously intriguing aura that his words produce; an apprehensive, curious, but always with a tinge of the medieval. The problem here was the plot. It was not really interesting at all, did not really se ...more
Kelly
Jan 02, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, owned
I've made no secret of my love for Arturo Perez-Reverte on this site. I even love that I once sleepily read his name as "Arthur in Reverie." Which, oddly enough, I think this dreamy author in love with the past might have appreciated.

The Nautical Chart follows the same pattern as many of his other books- the woman who lures our unsuspecting, unassuming man into a mystery, his unfortunate life before that, the strong link to and nostalgia for the past, the promise of redemption, all woven into a
Brooke
Aug 10, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: partial-reads
I tried, I really did. But after 119 pages, I had to put it down and move onto some more exciting books. And then I came back for another 60 pages only to dread the idea of trudging on for another 300.

Nothing happened. A woman is looking for a shipwreck. She recruits a man to help her. They talk about the ship. They talk about the sea. The man muses to himself about the sea. He finally does punch someone, but even that manages not to be very exciting.

I've liked all of the other books by Pérez-
Ευθυμία Δεσποτάκη
Ένα από τα πιο βαρετά βιβλία του Ρεβέρτε (που συνήθως μου αρέσει απίστευτα). Ο κλασσικός ρεβέρτιος ήρωας, ένας κακομοίρογλου που τον μπλέκουν επιτήδειοι και ένα αντικείμενο-σύμβολο, απλή δικαιολογία για να ξετυλιχτούν χαρακτήρες. Μαρτύρησα να το τελειώσω και φαντάσου, το θυμάμαι ακόμα αυτό το μαρτύριο, δέκα χρόνια μετά.
Miranda
Dec 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-club
This novel is one of the BEST books I read this year. I thought CLUB DUMAS by the same author was superb, but THE NAUTICAL CHART is five, six, ten times better -- if I could give it seven stars, I would. Besides getting lost in Perez-Reverte's sentences -- they are so well constructed -- there would be times, I would reread a passage for the pleasure of rereading it. Other times I would read a passage out loud because of Revete's descriptions needed to be shared. The cast of characters in this n ...more
MTK
Mar 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Πολύ καλό βιβλίο. Ίσως όχι το καλύτερο του Πέρεζ-Ρεβέρτε, αλλά έχει πολύ ενδιαφέρουσα πλοκή. Θα του έβαζα τέσσερα αστέρια, αλλά βρήκα την ηρωίδα αντιπαθή και τα κίνητρα της ανεξήγητα.
Mary
Feb 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
I was looking forward to this books as the author is one of my favourites. I wasn't disappointed.

This is a treasure hunting tale. With all the mystery, intrigue and dangers you'd expect from such a story.

The thing that struck me most about this book is the pacing. It's very slow, compared to similar stories. This is never a problem though. You feel your way through the story as the main character, Coy does. You discover things when he does and figure things out as he does. He is the reader's com
Margarida
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Uma narrativa fascinante com um final surpreendente. Um autor que se tornou num dos meus favoritos.
Irene
Apr 08, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Me he aburrido, y eso es decir mucho viniendo de la pluma de Pérez-Reverte, creo que e sea primera novela suya que no me conquista.

Quizás me falten conocimientos de náutica que me han impedido "disfrutar" de esta novela, pero entre su ritmo de tortuga, personajes extraños con los que no he conectado en absoluto y la falta de acontecimientos y trama en sí, llegar al final tiene su mérito.
Giovaennchen Lozano
Siempre me gustaron los libros de piratas, barcos y travesías. Este es un excelente libro que narra las aventuras de un marino sin barco, que se adhiere a la travesía en busca de un tesoro. Los aspectos técnicos son fascinantes, desde conseguir el mapa, o más bien la carta, descifrar lo que está en clave para poder entender dónde quedó el barco, y descubrir cuál es el verdadero tesoro... Sin embargo, no se trata de una aventura ocurrida en los tiempos de los galeones españoles y los piratas detr ...more
Justwinter
Jun 14, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, nautical
Him: gullible, tough and rugged. A man without a ship, without prospects, without luck. Romantic in a scotch, straight way. Punch first, ask questions later. Do anything for a hard, remote, sensual blonde. Even when you know it's wrong, even when you know it can only end in disaster, even when you know someone's got to die, even when you know it might be you.

Her: Legs, eyes, hair, breasts. Full, hard mouth. Hard eyes. Hard looks. Half truths and hidden meanings. Deceitful even when you know you
Michael Llewellyn
Aug 02, 2014 rated it liked it
While Arturo Perez-Reverte may be a master of the "thinking man's thriller" with such gems as The Club Dumas and The Seville Communion, The Nautical Chart sinks to the bottom like a stone. Tension is almost nonexistent as as a couple of mismatched souls join forces to find a sunken 17th- century ship. Ponderously top-heavy with marine references and repetitive, exhaustive character development, the plot flails like a fish out of water before bogging down in pretentious ambition. The ship isn't f ...more
Mark
Jul 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novels, spanish, mystery
I can understand why many regular readers of Perez-Reverte did not enjoy this novel as much as some of his others. It lacks much of the sustained suspense and intrigue you get in some of his better known works. However, I actually found I enjoyed The Nautical Chart more than the other two books I've read by the author (The Club Dumas and The Flanders Panel). Perez-Reverte seemed to have higher literary ambitions than usual in this book, and it seemed to result in a slower-paced, more realistic d ...more
Milan/zzz
Apr 24, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
After this one I don't think I'll pick up any other Reverte's book.
Sveta_orly
Dec 28, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
Synnin
Dec 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
In the beginning i must say i am in LOVE with Reverte's books for their suspense and mystery, their thrilling plots that make turn pages insanely, their brilliantly described characters and numerous historical facts i learn from what I read. And i enjoy it a great deal.

"The Nautical Chart", nevermind a bunch of extremely exciting nautical facts, turned out to be my least favourite of Reverte. And that's why:

1) I felt disguise for Tanger right away and throughout the whole book I had no idea why
Alan
Mar 26, 2009 rated it liked it
Coy, a sailor down on his luck, wanders into a nautical auction in Barcelona and witnesses a beautiful blond woman covered in freckles bidding on a rare historical map. He is immediately seized with the lust to possess her and count every last freckle on her body.
So begins this historical thriller which delivers lots of history but few thrills. The plot wanders through Spanish coastal towns as the intrepid pair sets out on a treasure hunt to locate priceless emeralds that went to the bottom on
John
Mar 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No time for more than a brief note, alas.

Coy is a sailor confined to land for a couple of years because he accidentally ran a ship aground. He's lured by lovely museum curator Tanger into the search for a Jesuit ship that sank/was sunk in the late 18th century, and for its cargo of precious emeralds. As the tale slowly unfolds we're treated to a myriad smaller stories of Coy's earlier adventures among other men for whom, like him, the land seems a foreign territory and the sea their only possibl
M.R.
Sep 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Treasure hunters. You know before you open it that somebody's probably going to betray someone because that's usually how it goes with those folk. Enough said. If it hadn't been written by Perez-Reverte, I probably wouldn't have picked it up; and yet I did, because he wrote it, and I was, surprisingly, rewarded. Lyrical prose, atmospheric. Try it, if you've run out of your favorites.
Song
Jan 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a book about ocean and woman, both are mysterious and volatile, but also attractive and enchanting. Sailors will be alive and like a real man only when he is on the sea, just like he will fall in love with beautiful woman, and know the love will be swallowed by the ocean, like anything else.
Sebastián
Apr 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
Me parece rescatable el conocimiento y el léxico de Pérez-Reverte sobre la navegación marítima, pero esperé una historia más emocionante. Los personajes no me agradaron, exceptuando al piloto, pero me pareció tan forzado el romance de Coy con ella. Sí me agradó mucho que ella muriera, buen final.
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Comme souvent chez Pérez-Reverte, l'accroche est excellente mais le livre un peu poussif, dommage...
Fotis Tsiroukis
Aug 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Very technical vocabulary, I don't think anyone who is not a seaman will understand most part of it. A bored, unimpressed feeling in total. I wouldn't suggest it.
Dan Piette
Not very god story about a treasure hunt
Andrés
Es un libro de 3.5/5. Es bastante bueno y cercano a los libros clásicos de aventuras... ésos con los que crecimos todos, pero tiene problemas. Como todos los libros de Pérez Reverte, sufre en la parte media y le hace falta un poco en el final. Antes del 40% y entre el 65 y el 90% es excelente.

El autor no oculta que, como muchos de nosotros, él también es Coy, con sus libros de barcos y aventuras, y que éste es su tributo al género. Es emocionante leer sobre Rackham el Rojo y Jim Hawkins... todo
Maria Ripoll Cera
Había leído algo de Pérez -Reverte que me pareció bueno por su capacidad narrativa pero sin matar como escritor. Pero esta obra me parece maestra. Tiene ya un gran dominio de la intriga, de hacer que el lector vaya descubriendo más, con tiempo. Y lo mejor, el dominio del mar (hasta el punto de que me pregunto si ha escrito el libro con un auténtico marino). "La carta esférica" se convierte para mí en otro de los grandes libros del mar, que vale la pena guardar en el alma.
Paul
Mar 10, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It is rare for me not to finish a book but 60 pages was enough for me. The author writes well but uses far too many words! Overly descriptive, overly flowery and overly meandering I suspect that with a little less elaboration the author could have cut at least 25% out of the book. I am afraid I just got bored and couldn't be bothered to fight my way through to see where the plot was going to. I am afraid that Sr. Pérez-Reverte simply didn't engage me.
Nightkid
  沉船、海圖、寶藏……《海圖迷蹤》明明充滿我喜愛的元素,但故事內容卻很不討喜。
  劇情很直白,女主角發現一艘耶穌會沉船藏有價值不菲的祖母綠,在競投海圖後卻遇到寶藏獵人恐嚇,男主角出手解圍後,兩人便結伴尋寶去了。到最後,寶藏尋到了,女主角獨吞寶藏後逃跑,然後被殺了--真是很糟糕的劇情,簡直浪費時間。
  另外,這個作者還有一個不太好的習慣,作品劇情明明並不曲折,卻喜歡加插一堆與故事無關的角色回憶片段,非但無法令人物豐滿起來,反而使故事失焦,讀者只能看得頭昏腦脹。
Francisco H. González
De todos los libros que he leído del autor, este es con diferencia el que menos me ha gustado de todos. Vería después la película, sobre el libro, y fue incluso peor que el libro.
  • The Wind from the East
  • The Vanished Hands (Javier Falcon, #2)
  • La hija del caníbal
  • The Blackbirder (Thomas Marlowe, #2)
  • The Pope's Rhinoceros
  • The Raphael Affair (Jonathan Argyll, #1)
  • The Fencing Master by Arturo Pérez-Reverte Summary  Study Guide
  • Qumran
  • El año del diluvio
  • Diario de un skin: Un topo en el movimiento neonazi español
  • Death Sentences
  • Sagan, Paris 1954
  • Shantytown
  • El lejano país de los estanques (Bevilacqua y Chamorro, #1)
  • Crónica del rey pasmado
  • Cienfuegos (Cienfuegos, #1)
  • Jolanda, la figlia del Corsaro Nero
  • La sonrisa etrusca
Spanish novelist and ex-journalist. He worked as a war reporter for twenty-one years (1973 - 1994). He started his journalistic career writing for the now-defunct newspaper Pueblo. Then, he jumped to news reporter for TVE, Spanish national channel. As a war journalist he traveled to several countries, covering many conflicts. He put this experience into his book 'Territorio Comanche', focusing on ...more
More about Arturo Pérez-Reverte...