Historical Fictionistas discussion

Challenges > Challenge Task Suggestions - ONGOING

Comments Showing 1-50 of 305 (305 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 3407 comments Mod
Hi all... I thought that I would put up a thread which would remain active, as I often get ideas for things at times when they aren't needed, and then when it is the right time, come up blank.

So, feel free to post your challenge ideas here whenever you want... :)

message 2: by JC (new)

JC (jmnc) | 528 comments I live in a small community and we often rely on each other as neighbors when the need arises. We water gardens and feed animals while our neighbors are on vacation, share in the bounty of said gardens in the fall, take turns plowing our driveways and roads in winter, give each other treats during the Christmas season, borrow and lend tools and implements, and generally enjoy an impromptu middle-of-the-road chat that steadily gains participants when the opportunity presents itself.

In the spirit of neighborliness and friendship, read a book written by two or more authors.

message 3: by Maude (new)

Maude | 752 comments What a beautiful tribute to you and your community, JenC. I loved it.

message 4: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Yay! We have a suggestion! Come on people. I know you got more than one in ya!

message 5: by Phair (new)

Phair (sphair) | 45 comments How about 'read a best-seller from _______ [specify a year or maybe a specific decade:]' It's amazing the types of book that made it onto those lists in bygone years.

message 6: by JC (new)

JC (jmnc) | 528 comments That's true! For the fall challenge there is a task to pick a book from the year you were born! I had no idea Interview with the vampire was as old as me!

message 7: by Gayle (new)

Gayle (gretarahikkainen) How about reading a book set in the state in which you live?

message 8: by Gayle (new)

Gayle (gretarahikkainen) Or reading a book based (or written) in the country of your ancestors?

message 9: by Evelina A. (new)

Evelina A. (amerigo) | 175 comments Read a book (any genre) that's been translated to english.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2790 comments Gayle wrote: "How about reading a book set in the state in which you live?"

What if you live in the state of denial? :)

message 11: by Gayle (new)

Gayle (gretarahikkainen) Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: What if you live in the state of denial? :)"

Then I say good luck finding one! There's GOT to be one. Maybe something about Cleopatra? :P

message 12: by Jeane (new)

Jeane JenC. wrote: "That's true! For the fall challenge there is a task to pick a book from the year you were born! I had no idea Interview with the vampire was as old as me!"

I couldn't believe it to read the The bourn identity was published in the year I was born!!!!!!

message 13: by Luckngrace (new)

Luckngrace | 303 comments How about read a book in which any game is mentioned?

How about a book in which the main character is an author?
or one where the author of the book is retired from some other profession, such as doctor, policeman, stock trader, actor?

message 14: by JC (new)

JC (jmnc) | 528 comments Luckngrace wrote: "How about read a book in which any game is mentioned?

How about a book in which the main character is an author?
or one where the author of the book is retired from some other profession, su..."

great ideas! I especially like the game one, that could mean any kind of game - board game, video game, children's traditional games, like tag and hide-and-seek, so many possibilities.....

message 15: by Gayle (new)

Gayle (gretarahikkainen) How about Read the first book in an established series that you have not yet started?

message 16: by Luckngrace (new)

Luckngrace | 303 comments Thanks Jen. Here's another idea: How about a political-themed fiction?

message 17: by Luckngrace (new)

Luckngrace | 303 comments I don't mean to hog the thread, but I keep having these ideas. It's okay if they don't all click.

I've noticed a few books whose ratings seem to be all 1 stars and 5 stars. Read one of these books. To go along with that, read an author whose previous book you read and didn't like (the 2nd chance task).

Read a book which features a "house as a character".

Read a book that features a lost treasure or something being searched.

Read about something to be overcome: addiction, cancer, bad reputation.

Read a book featuring an animal, bird, fish.

message 18: by Luckngrace (new)

Luckngrace | 303 comments Thanks Heather. About the suggestion to read one of the 1star/5star books, I think it would be fun if the reader stated if they loved or hated the book and why they think readers are so polarized by it. That's getting too wordy, but you get the idea.

Have you ever read a book you hated but noticed everyone else seems to love that author? Guess we need to give them a 2nd chance, huh?

I really appreciate you and JenC commenting on my ideas.

message 19: by Gayle (new)

Gayle (gretarahikkainen) I have a question regarding the "1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die" challenge. Which list are you looking at?! The one on Good Reads only has 470 on it. I did a search and came up with multiple lists in various places. So.......WHICH 1001 list did you want us to use?

message 20: by Maude (new)

Maude | 752 comments I don't have a definite answer for you, Gayle, but what I used was the first list that came up when I entered 1001 Books to Read Before You Die on the internet. I also just noticed that Goodreads 1001 books actually do have 1001 books. Maybe there is another shorter list that I am missing. I would think either list would be fine since the books listed are all quality ones.

message 21: by Gayle (new)

Gayle (gretarahikkainen) OK, thanks Maude....that's what I went by too when I was looking for a book to fill that challenge.

message 22: by Rachel (new)

Rachel G (anplica) | 282 comments Read a book set in the 1300s. (Or another hundred year time period)

message 23: by JC (new)

JC (jmnc) | 528 comments read a book with water on the cover (rain, a lake, tears, etc.)
read a book that features your star sign (I'm a leo - so a lion on the cover or in the title/plot, if you're a gemini then twins could be part of the plot)

for HF - a historical -something- (historical romance, historical thriller, historical fantasy)

HF with a character that shares the same first initial as yourself (I'm a J, so John, Jessica, etc.)

message 24: by LemonLinda (new)

LemonLinda (lwilliamson0423) | 680 comments read a book that features your star sign (I'm a leo - so a lion on the cover or in the title/plot, if you're a gemini then twins cou..."

But that would be a hard one for those of us who are Taurus - a book will a bull??? - maybe a couple with bull fighting in Spain but would be very limiting.

message 25: by JC (new)

JC (jmnc) | 528 comments LemonLinda wrote: "read a book that features your star sign (I'm a leo - so a lion on the cover or in the title/plot, if you're a gemini then twins cou..."

But that would be a hard one for those of us who are Taurus..."

that's true, it was just a suggestion that came to mind. It doesn't have to get picked.

message 26: by Rachel (new)

Rachel G (anplica) | 282 comments Read a Mashup book. (These books take classics like Pride & Prejudice & add a major twist like Pride & Prejudice & Zombies does.)

message 27: by Rachel (new)

Rachel G (anplica) | 282 comments Read a HF that takes place in your state or local region.

message 28: by Maude (new)

Maude | 752 comments JenC, I like your idea re star signs. I think it would be fun. It wouldn't necessarily be ALL about the sign - just having one of the animals in the story. I am a Capricorn and I don't think I could find a whole book about a goat! Linda, you could have bulls on ranches, rodeo's, bull fighting in Spain or elsewhere, think of the Mary Stewart book when she went to a bullfight to escape the man she thought was her enemy - having a brain infarct, can't remember the name of the book!)

message 29: by Luckngrace (new)

Luckngrace | 303 comments I'm really liking some of these suggestions like star signs and regions. We have many, many good writers in North Carolina and the rest of the South. As for Mashup books, I've been afraid of trying them as I it just felt like corrupting a classic, but if you put it in a challenge, I'll sure try one! That's what this group is all about, isn't it?--expanding our horizens.

message 30: by Rachel (new)

Rachel G (anplica) | 282 comments Luckngrace - I've read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, and was actually amused more than offended by the changes. It's great woman power for Lizzy to want to marry well...and be one of the best zombie killers in England. *grin*

message 31: by LemonLinda (new)

LemonLinda (lwilliamson0423) | 680 comments As for the Mashup books, that might be a task I would have to skip. I am a bit like Luckngrace in that it is tarnishing the name of books that I have loved or probably would love. I am not a big zombie or vampire book reader. The one vampire book that I really enjoyed was The Historian but I think that was more about the history and travel parts of the book. I was more into the intellectual pursuit of Dracula rather than Dracula himself. And I read one book last year with zombies and vowed - no more of that type for me. Different strokes for different folks, I guess, but the greatest thing that goodreads had done for me is to help me with my book choices so that I am reading mostly books that I really enjoy and for me that is the reason that I read - to enjoy it.

message 32: by Luckngrace (new)

Luckngrace | 303 comments After reading Interview With the Vampire years ago I, too, decided not to pursue this subject, not even the megahit Twilight series. But my daughter did convince me to read The Host, also by Stephanie Meyer and, after feeling a little strange the first 50 pages, I did ultimately enjoy the book.

message 33: by Djrmel (new)

Djrmel Maude wrote: "JenC, I like your idea re star signs. I think it would be fun. It wouldn't necessarily be ALL about the sign - just having one of the animals in the story. I am a Capricorn and I don't think I co..."

Hey, we're not ALL animals! ;-)

Djrmel, a feisty Libra

message 34: by Maude (new)

Maude | 752 comments Sorry, Ms Feisty Libra, I did overlook a few of you and I can't stop laughing - it looks so funny now that I realize you aren't all animals!

message 35: by JC (new)

JC (jmnc) | 528 comments I love language and playing with words. How about a task involving titles with homophones, homographs, onomatopoeia, oxymorons, etc.

Tammy(PeaceLoveBooks) (tammathau) Read a book from the banned book list for banned book week?

message 37: by Evelina A. (new)

Evelina A. (amerigo) | 175 comments Read a book that takes place on an island.

message 38: by Luckngrace (new)

Luckngrace | 303 comments Read a book with a color or word representing a color, such as "color, tone, shade, hue" in the title.

message 39: by Luckngrace (new)

Luckngrace | 303 comments Read and Oprah selection from any year in honor of Oprah's last year on tv.

message 40: by JC (new)

JC (jmnc) | 528 comments Luckngrace wrote: "Read and Oprah selection from any year in honor of Oprah's last year on tv."

I like it!

message 41: by Luckngrace (new)

Luckngrace | 303 comments Read a memoir or true story or based on a true story.

message 42: by Rachel (new)

Rachel G (anplica) | 282 comments Read a book about spies or spying.

Read a HF centered around the winter holidays.

message 43: by Evelina C (last edited Oct 14, 2010 08:41PM) (new)

Evelina C (evelinaguekguezian) | 42 comments Read a book by an author who uses one or more pseudonyms.

Read an HF with a piece of furniture in the title.

Read an HF set in your state/country of origin.

Read a book with a street name in the title.

Read a book which includes sections/or completely told from an animal's point of view.

Read an HF with the name of a drink/beverage in the title.

Read a book set above 60th parallel north(search Wikipedia for a list of locations).

message 44: by Luckngrace (new)

Luckngrace | 303 comments Read a book that won an award, any award.

Read any author's first book.

message 45: by Becky, Moddess (new)

I'm loving the ideas... ;et's keep em coming! :D

message 46: by Zina (new)

Zina (zinarohan) | 30 comments Luckngrace wrote: "Read a book that won an award, any award.

Read any author's first book."

Actually my own first book won an award ...but you can't buy it. It's out of print :)

message 47: by JC (new)

JC (jmnc) | 528 comments I would like to clear out my TBR shelf before adding more, so a task where we have to look at our TBR shelf and pick randomly, like the first 5 prime numbers and choose one of those, or pick one from the 10 oldest on your list, the digits of your year of birth, something like that. Of course your TBR shelf would have to be set by date added for either of these to work.

message 48: by JC (new)

JC (jmnc) | 528 comments HAHA or we could do the old "close your eyes and point" trick.

message 49: by Djrmel (new)

Djrmel JenC. wrote: "HAHA or we could do the old "close your eyes and point" trick."

Or use one of the random number generators that can be found online. Regardless of how the book is chosen, I love any task that culls my TBR shelf!

message 50: by Luckngrace (new)

Luckngrace | 303 comments Read a book won at GR First Reads or, if no win, a book someone gave you to read.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7