Start by marking “The House of Broken Angels” as Want to Read:
The House of Broken Angels

The House of Broken Angels

The definitive Mexican-American immigrant story, at once intimate and epic, from an acclaimed storyteller.

In his final days, beloved and ailing patriarch Miguel Angel De La Cruz, known affectionately as Big Angel, has summoned his entire clan for one last legendary birthday party. But as the party approaches, his mother, nearly one hundred, dies herself, leading to a farew
Published March 6th 2018 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about The House of Broken Angels, please sign up.
Mom Yes, stick with it! It's kind of like going to a big family reunion -- people wander in and out, you recognize some, not others. But if you stay long…moreYes, stick with it! It's kind of like going to a big family reunion -- people wander in and out, you recognize some, not others. But if you stay long enough, you'll know everyone, and you'll hear some amazing stories!(less)

Elyse Walters
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I knew I wanted to read this book the minute I heard about it. A very special thanks to Goodreads friend, Truman. His passion and energy for this book had me jumping with my own excitement.

“Big Angel, [patriarch of the family], was turning seventy. It felt very old to him. At the same time, it felt far too young. He had not intended to leave the party so soon. I’ve tried to be good, he told his invisible interviewer.”
“His mother had made it to the edge of one hundred. He had thought he’d at
Debra
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
"The entire history of his family, the world itself, the solar system and galaxy, swirled around him now in weird silence, and he felt blood dribbled down inside his body and the clock, the clock, chipped away at his existence."

Big Angel (Miguel Angel De La Cruz) has invited his family to his home in San Diego to celebrate his last birthday. His Mother passed away a few days before his birthday, so the family has her funeral one day and his birthday party the next. Two very different fa
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
5 epic family saga stars to The House of Broken Angels! 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟

I have found a new author to love. Luis Alberto Urrea is a storyteller, and that is the highest compliment I can give any author.

Big Angel de la Cruz is the patriarch of his family, and he is dying. The book opens with him having to say goodbye to his mother at her funeral while also knowing he is living his last days.

Big Angel recounts the story of his family and how they came to live in the United States, a tale filled with se
Jen
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Marlin Brando move over - there is a new Godfather in town, the Mexican, Big Angel. Which is an ironic name as he is crippled with cancer and no longer the strong, mammoth man he was.

This is the dying of a patriarch, who is getting ready to celebrate his last birthday. The very same weekend turns into a funeral as his 100 year old mother passes away. The party, however, must go on and the entire family mourns and celebrates the end of an era. History is relived and wow, this family is as tight a
Diane S ☔
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-read
A funeral, followed the next day by what is to be the last birthday party of the family's patriarch, Big Angel. Big Ange land little Angel, brothers from the same father but different mothers, Little Angels mother is white. A big, extended clan, this family, was difficult to keep track of who was who and who went with whom, but it didn't matter, the message is what counted. What it means to be American, to try to adapt to a new culture.

Over the course of one day, this large family comes together
Cheri
”Big Angel was late to his own mother’s funeral.

“He tossed in his bed, the sheets catching his feet in a tangle. Sweat ticked his sides as he realized what was happening. The sun was up – it was bright through his eyelids. The burning pink world. Everybody else would be there before him. No. Not this. Not today. He struggled to rise.”

”Every morning since his diagnosis, he had the same thoughts. They were his alarm clock.
How could a man out of time repair all that was broken? And on this mor
Bam
Luis Urrea has joined the ranks of great American writers with his new novel, The House of Broken Angels. (Think John Steinbeck here--a worthy comparison).

Miguel Angel De La Cruz, known as Big Angel, the patriarch of the family, is dying of cancer and wants to celebrate his last birthday with his extensive family, a blowout party...but first they must bury Grandma America who has so obligingly died first.

Urrea writes about the Mexican-American experience with both humor and gravitas but he nai
Rose (Traveling Sister)
I'm calling it now: The House of Broken Angels will likely be my favorite book of 2018 and has worked its way into my Top 5 contemporary novels. It poured a steady stream of cement in me as I read, and several days later, it's still drying. I'm left weighed down yet so very elevated by it. I don't even know what to do with myself.

Having read Oscar Wao a couple weeks ago, I obviously read Urrea's book holding a ruler up to Diaz's masterpiece, which I rated 4/5 for excess perversity and obscure re
Linda
"All believed Big Angel's smile because they needed to. Because they had always believed him. Because he was the law."

There are many, many tributaries over many, many years that flow over rutted landscapes and drought-filled pockets. They spread wide and far and in a multitude of unplanned directions seeking distance, and at the same time, longing for familiarity. They ebb and flow from a certain source and a certain essence. And that particular is Big Angel.

Big Angel is bent over in his chair w
Truman32
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It’s ridiculous how much I liked Luis Alberto Urrea’s new novel House of Broken Angels. This book made me laugh so forcefully that I alarmed the people in the DMV sitting next to me. No doubt they feared the inevitable final collapse of my sanity was at hand. It made me weep so vigorously that the Stop and Shop cashier forgot to scan my double coupons, and the bagger (in such a rush to hand me her hankie) bagged my loaf of ciabatta beneath the cantaloupe. There were moments that enraged my sensi ...more
Faith
Apr 13, 2018 rated it liked it
The dying patriarch of an extended Mexican-American family has one last birthday party on the day after his mother's funeral. The immigrant experience, happy memories, dark secrets, sibling rivalries and old grievances are explored. The writing was colorful and there was humor, poignancy and a realistic representation of a family. However, I would have preferred a more linear plot and I found that extended family confusing. I could have used a family tree because there were too many names and ni ...more
Taryn Pierson
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have to admit, this one took me a while to get into. The de La Cruz family is big, so there are lots of characters to keep track of through multiple generations. On top of that, the storyline shifts from past to present, to further in the past, and back again. I was working so hard to keep track of who everyone was, I didn’t have much headspace left for what Urrea was doing on a deeper level.

Something happened though in the last third of the book that brought it all together for me. Big Angel
Lorna
The House of Broken Angels is a beautiful and heartwarming tale of three generations of a Mexican and Mexican-American family taking place between La Paz, Tijuana and San Diego with the Mexican-American border in the mix. Patriarch Miguel Angel de La Cruz, affectionately known as "Big Angel" is dying, and has summoned all of his family to celebrate his seventieth and last birthday. However his mother, Mama America, has just died resulting in her funeral the preceding day. As everyone gathers in ...more
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was a random pick for me after seeing the author would be attending the Southern Festival of Books in Nashville. I am so glad I took a chance on this one. This seemed authentic, genuine, and very honest. I look forward to seeing the author discuss this in one of the literary panels. Pick this one up, so worth the time. Great title, too! I am still laughing over the drunk, escape artist bird!

Update:10/13 rights sold to Hollywood. Author is genuine, interesting and honest. Book is based
kglibrarian
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A touching novel that follows the patriarch of a complex Mexican-American family as he faces his final days of life. Infused with Spanish phrases, cultural dishes, and vivid Mexican landscapes, Urrea highlights the importance of heritage and family loyalty, while also depicting the realistic hardships that immigration and class status present. Heartbreaking, hilarious, and moving.
Libby
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well, of course, I loved this book, but then my beautiful daughter-in-law is hispanic, born in Tijuana, and replanted here in North Carolina, when my son returned to his home state in 2008. I visited their ‘garage kingdom’ in 07' when they were living in her parent's attached garage in San Diego. So many things that Luis Alberto Urrea writes about in ‘The House of Broken Angels,’ I saw while I was there. The border crossing, the border patrol, the food, the generosity of Mexicans, the music, and ...more
Ken
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Finished over spring break. A big, bodacious Mexican-American family, mainly chronicled through the eyes of a dying patriarch. Almost made-for-TV, the personalities in this crew, with numerous flashbacks to provide well-spaced exposition. Saved from mill comma run-of-the by some sterling writing in parts. That is, some poetic prose. A worthy read, all in all.
Nancy
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Oh, my--this book! I was overwhelmed by this boisterous, complicated, colorful family gathered for the funeral of their matriarch and the last birthday of her son Big Angel, who is dying of cancer.

As I read, this family took residence in my heart. They were not so unlike my own family. I remembered the large family gatherings of my childhood; we have our 'colorful' characters, too. My cousins and I are are too quickly becoming the oldest generation--the next to die.

Through the story of one parti
Chrissie
Sorry to be a party-pooper, but to say I like this book or even that it is OK would be a downright lie! I have disliked it from start to finish.

The language, the sprawling number of characters and the drippy ending all displeased me immensely. Problems are resolved and tied up neatly with a bow. That forgiveness and redemption is plastered on at the end is not to my taste.

The setting of the story is San Diego. We are at the funeral of Big Angel’s mother and, on the following day, the celebration
PorshaJo
Review to come.
Janet
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 really.
A big hearted, feel good novel about two brothers. Big Angel and Little Angel. Luis’s fans will recognize him as Little Angel and will relish this story of Big Angel’s death which is truly more about his life. I laughed and I cried.

At the same time that Luis is relating this boisterous family saga, he is also making a political statement about the ridiculousness of borders when family has moved fluidly for decades. The parrot story will go down as one of the best border crossing stori
Toni
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook
Pure poetry! Listening to Luis Alberto Urrea narrate his story with such beautiful passion is an experience you do not want to miss!
The hilarious, sad and emotional saga of an immigrant family told by the family patriarch, now dying of cancer at age 70. This could be any of our ancestors, from a multitude of ethnicities, as far back as the early settlers to present day. Maybe our grandparents didn't have to cross a river but I bet their trip to America was just as difficult.
And they weren't orig
Jill
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Luis Alberto Urrea's latest book is about our better angels and how the guide us to purpose and meaning. "All we do, mija," the oldest brother, Big Angel, says, "is love. Love is the answer. Nothing stops it. Not borders. Not death."

Miguel Angel de la Cruz - aka Big Angel - is dying and he wants one last big birthday party. His entire huge and rambunctious family, including Little Angel - the son from his father's second life and a stand-on for Luis Alberto Urrea - are there for the merging of c
Jan
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So much to treasure in this hilarious, poignant, sweet and life-affirming story of a loving, crazy Mexican-American family coming together for the funeral of the family matriarch and the birthday of her older son. This is probably my most enjoyable book of 2018 so far, and the audiobook, voiced by Urrea himself, is just wonderful. Really, go treat yourself to this book.
Kate Olson
(AUDIOBOOK) Oh my goodness. I laughed, I gasped in shock, I cried, and I thought long and hard about what it means to die with a life well-lived. The narration for this was FABULOUS - it was read by the author and it was perfection. This is a story of immigration, but it's ultimately a story of family, marriage and the bonds that hold us together. I won't forget this one for a long, long time.
Alison Hardtmann
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book
It's a lot harder to review a book I loved than one that I found flawed. And so I've put off reviewing The House of Broken Angels for a week now. Luis Alberto Urrea has filled this novel with a loud, boisterous extended family, brought together for a birthday celebration, let the reader see each character's struggles, flaws and dreams and then knit that all together into a novel with a great deal of heart.

Big Angel is dying, but he has one last birthday celebration before he goes. When his moth
Kim
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. Well that was something special. Highly recommend the audio version narrated by the author himself. He does a fantastic job, beautiful storyteller.
Wyndy
Jun 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Did I love this book? Sort of, at times. Did I appreciate the simple writing and well-etched characters? Absolutely. Will I read more Urrea? Yes. If you like novels about extended, complicated families with all their foibles and charms, this is your book. This is my first by Urrea, and I like his style, so I'll be searching out his other novels. But this fell a little flat for me - overly dramatic and overly long.

The de La Cruz clan has gathered from far and wide outside San Diego, CA in a predo
Kalen
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-reads
So much love for this book. Urrea writes about family like no one else. It's funny, it's sad, it speaks truth. Along with The Water Museum, this is up there with my favorite Urrea books.
Mizuki
Perhaps it is a case of 'it is not the book it is me', I thought a story about a dying old man (Big Angel) planning out the last of his days and how his extended family (most noticeable the man's half brother Little Angel) react to it would be quite interesting. Well, for the first 100 pages the colorful characters and the background of the Mexican-American mixed cultures do keep me interested, but then 50 pages later the plot still it isn't moving forward, so I gave up.
Play Book Tag: The House of Broken Angels by Luis Alberto Urrea - 4 stars 6 23 Aug 20, 2018 07:43AM
Luis Alberto Urrea is the award-winning author of 13 books, including The Hummingbird's Daughter, The Devil's Highway and Into the Beautiful North (May 2009). Born in Tijuana to a Mexican father and American mother, Luis has used the theme of borders, immigration and search for love and belonging throughout his work. A Pulitzer Prize finalist in 2005 (nonfiction), he's won the Kiriyama Prize (2006 ...more
“Big Angel could not reconcile himself to this dirty deal they had all been dealt. Death. What a ridiculous practical joke. Every old person gets the punch line that the kids are too blind to see. All the striving, lusting, dreaming, suffering, working, hoping, yearning, mourning, suddenly revealed itself to be an accelerating countdown to nightfall.
....This is the prize: to realize, at the end, that every minute was worth fighting for with every ounce of blood and fire.”
2 likes
“There is a minute in the day, a minute for everyone, though most everyone is too distracted to notice its arrival. A minute of gifts coming from the world like birthday presents. A minute given to every day that seems to create a golden bubble available to everyone.” 2 likes