Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Dear (fill-in-the-blank): an expert advice thread.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 171 (171 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Heidi (last edited May 18, 2010 12:15PM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments So yesterday, I was having some SERIOUS issues with a virus on my laptop that took me no less than 6 hours to clear up. I sent out a message on FB in the afternoon, and tadpole responded immediately with a great suggestion. I think if it weren't for him and my friend's husband responding to my plea for help, I'd be laptopless right about now. And probably crying.

Anyway, it got me thinking... we're all adults here, right (no yuks from the peanut gallery... Kevin... Clark)? And we've enough life experience that we've been able to become expert in at least one area, enough that we could answer questions or give advice if someone has an inquiry.

Like, for instance, I'd feel comfortable giving self defense advice, answer questions about substance use/abuse or behind the scenes insight to working in film, radio, tv, or stage production. I'd also feel okay answering questions about New Orleans, all things Cajun country/Acadiana, Little Rock, AR, and Houston, TX. OH! And Mary Poppins.

Clearly tad's the go-to guy for computer problems.

Jackie's our resident librarian, with a super awesome focus on young adult literature.

Kevin's done enough mission work and overseas volunteerism that he could probably walk any of us through the process of how to go about doing it ourselves.

What about you? Where does your expertise lie?

message 2: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Also, feel free to request advice or solicit help from other TCers here in this thread. :)

I'd suggest keeping the names of anyone you mention in your advice request unidentifiable so there won't be any chance it can come back to bite you in the future. I mean, this is the internets, after all... and TC's a public group.

message 3: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i know a little about:

baseball
international humanitarian work
outdoor activity (camping/fishing/hunting)
graphic design
ebay
travel

if i can help anyone using my limited expertise i would be more than happy to help

message 4: by Heidi (last edited May 18, 2010 11:03AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Barb wrote: "now I wish I had some variety of expertise."

Aren't you a mom? And wouldn't you be more of an expert on all things Canadian... like more so than most of us?

message 5: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments so if i need to know something about ppm or chromium/cadmium testing or specific gravity testing for non-cooling waste water you are the one to talk to barb?

or should i just direct wayne gretzky questions your way?

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments horses
rugby
epilepsy
cooking/food (via the transitive property)
music biz
Baltimore

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments How about Don Cherry?

message 8: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments soooooooo.....what color are the $10 bills in canada barb?

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

What do you know about Canadian Whiskey?

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Or Lablatts?

I go straight to the important questions :-)

message 11: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments what do you call a stocking cap in canada?

message 12: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i know how to crack the cap on a bottle of aunt jemima

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Labatts is better than Molson but not in the same universe as Unibroue's La Fin du Monde, which is one of my favorite beers ever.

message 14: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Barb! You know awesome Canadian music! :D

Damn skippy, you do.

message 15: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments toque. yes! that is the answer i was looking for. nice job Barb!

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Sorry Barb, I wasn't trying to make you feel useless :-(

message 17: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Buckley (anthonydbuckley) | 145 comments All my skills are pretty useless. I spent a couple of years in Nigeria learning how to be a traditional healer. The problem is, you cannot get the ingredients back home.

message 18: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments yes, eye of newt and wing of bat sometimes are not available around here either anthony

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

When I order them online, they get shipped from an address in Kokomo, are you sure you can't find them Kev?

message 20: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments that's my address. when i get a gross of these ingredients (and trust me they are gross) i sell off the excess through my eBay store Brew-Haha

message 21: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Anthony wrote: "I spent a couple of years in Nigeria learning how to be a traditional healer."

V. cool, Anthony.

message 22: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Buckley (anthonydbuckley) | 145 comments Kevin "El Liso Grande" wrote: "yes, eye of newt and wing of bat sometimes are not available around here either anthony"
Actually, you can get eye of newt and wing of bat pretty easily. It's the other stuff.

Mind you, it did teach me to be careful what I did with my nail and hair clippings.

message 23: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments yeah....

message 24: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Buckley (anthonydbuckley) | 145 comments I feel this is the moment to plug my book. It's full of recipes, and I understand the students on the University of Ibadan campus sometimes used to use it as a source when they needed to treat their various ailments. I wouldn't recommend them, however.
The original edition is out of print, but it was reprinted with a peculiar picture on the front, looking as if it were from Tarzan of the Apes
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/42...

message 25: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i feel bad for making jokes about being a traditional healer anthony. i apologize, just having fun. cool you are a published author.

still am a bit skeeved by the nails and hair comment though :)

message 26: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Buckley (anthonydbuckley) | 145 comments Kevin "El Liso Grande" wrote: "l am a bit skeeved by the nails and hair comment though"

Don't worry, it is a bit of an unlikely thing to have studied.

The hair and nail clippings are used, for example, in medicines for love. One can collect these items from the hoped-for beloved and put them in an appropriate medicine, to bind oneself to the other person.

Whether it works, however, I don't know. My wife binds herself to me by being a good cook. That definitely does work!

You can also use hair and nail clippings in medicines for nastier purposes. There is a lively trade in so-called "bad medicines" used to harm people. Some such medicines are "magical" in nature. Others are mere poisons. As with our own drugs,you can use perfectly legitimate medicines for bad purposes.

I did ask one man if he had heard of naming a doll and sticking pins into it. He said yes, except you didn't stick pins in: you clubbed it to death.

I never really got into bad medicine, however, not least because it was illegal to collect such information. The notion of spending time in a Nigerian gaol didn't really appeal.

message 27: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments ah, food is my favorite medicine for love. but i don't use hair or nail clippings in it, that would probably do the outcome more harm than good.

message 28: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments What happened to expert advice?

message 29: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix (phoenixapb) | 1619 comments First I have to say I am an expert on exactly nothing, but I do have some experience in the following:

-Raising children
-Aspergers & Autism spectrum disorders
-Military life
-How to not go crazy being a stay-at-home mom (although it's too late for me, hindsight is 20/20, and I now have some ideas that I'm sure would be successful)
-Brain burn...the causes, effects, and how to survive it.
-Arts & crafts (not art history though)
-Sarcasm
-Religious fanatics...specifically how to make them go away!

All inquiries must be submitted in the proper format and in triplicate. Please allow 7 to 10 days for processing. Satifaction is not guaranteed!

message 30: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i'm afraid i'm only an expert on most things dutch.

message 31: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments janine wrote: "i'm afraid i'm only an expert on most things dutch."

Maar dat is uitstekend, hoor--iets waar je trots op mag zijn ;-)

My only real expertise is in old paintings, professionally useful but not of much practical value in day-to-day problem solving.

message 32: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments wat een leuke verassing! waar heb je nederlands leren spreken?

message 33: by Jonathan (last edited May 20, 2010 06:20AM) (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Voornamelijk op school. Ik had de taal voor mijn onderzoek moeten leren: rond twee jaar geleden schreef ik een boek (in het Engels) over een echt Nederlands onderwerp, het leven van de bekende meestervervalser Han van Meegeren...

message 34: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments interessant. dat is dan weer een onderwerp waar ik niets van af weet. ik ben wel een keer in het museum voor valse kunst geweest, maar het meeste wat ze daar hebben is niet bepaald het werk van meestervervalsers. vervalsingen die per ongeluk in spiegelbeeld zijn bijvoorbeeld, of the mr. bean poster truc.

message 35: by Jonathan (last edited May 20, 2010 06:54AM) (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments De huidige tentoonstelling bij het Boijmans Museum in Rotterdam gaat over Van Meegeren en diens valse Vermeers. Ze hebben een zeer goede (maar redelijk korte) documentaire gefilmd over Van Meegerens leven. De film staat op internet te zien:

http://arttube.boijmans.nl/nl/video/V...

message 36: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Whoa. You guys could be writing that I have green turnips growing out of my ears and I walk like a duck, and I'd never know it.

Cool.

message 37: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Yes, turnips, funny walks, etc.

Sorry, we'll return to English now. I get carried away when I find someone with whom I can practice my Dutch.

message 38: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Jonathan wrote: "Yes, turnips, funny walks, etc.

Sorry, we'll return to English now. I get carried away when I find someone with whom I can practice my Dutch."

No no, carry on... :) I'll just make up my own translations in my mind. It'll be fun!

message 39: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Dutch does look a lot like English, just spelled funny. If you stare at it long enough, it will start to make sense--honest.

message 40: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments Jonathan wrote: "De huidige tentoonstelling bij het Boijmans Museum in Rotterdam gaat over Van Meegeren en diens valse Vermeers. Ze hebben een zeer goede (maar redelijk korte) documentaire gefilmd over Van Meegeren..."

fascinating how forged art can become part of art history.

if you ever want to talk about turnips again, just let me know.

message 41: by Jonathan (last edited May 20, 2010 07:40AM) (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments janine wrote: "if you ever want to talk about turnips again, just let me know.
"

Will do. I still can't figure out how they got into Heidi's ears in the first place...

mvg

JL

message 42: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments maybe she ate turnip seeds? we should ask a turnip expert.

message 43: by Sarah (last edited May 20, 2010 08:46AM) (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments janine wrote: "maybe she ate turnip seeds? we should ask a turnip expert."

Bun?

My guess would be maybe she didn't wash her ears. If she got enough dirt in them, she might be able to use them as planters.

message 44: by Julie (new)

Julie | 568 comments I think that this thread is a great idea. You don't necessarily have to be an expert.
The other day one of my eyes went blurry, and it was like that for over 10 hours. I did think about starting a thread to ask if anyone had had the same thing happen to them, or if anyone knew anything about it...I refuse to look those things up on the internet, because invariably it will end up making me think I have some rare Peruvian eye disease that has only one documented case back in 1982, but that match my symptoms exactly.

Anyway, I am a tax preparer, so I if you have any questions about that I would be happy to help.

And my eye is okay now. No Chilean eye disease. :)

message 45: by Phil (last edited May 21, 2010 06:57PM) (new)

Phil | 11667 comments Julie wrote: "Anyway, I am a tax preparer, so I if you have any questions about that I would be happy to help."

Okay, so how weird is it that the check I received today from the IRS was for about $500 more than was recorded on my return? They've got extra money to pass out?

EDIT: My own error, damn it. I remembered the number incorrectly. Still, I wasn't planning on the extra, so it's nice to have.

message 46: by Julie (new)

Julie | 568 comments Yeah, better to get more than you were expecting than less, huh?

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Hmmmmmmmm, drat, I am coming up blank.

I have interests in a thousand things and am an expert in nothing.

Maybe Australian flora & fauna, which none of you are interested in.

message 48: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Are you kidding? Everybody's interested in kangaroos and eucalyptus trees. Australia rocks!

message 49: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I need some goddamn advice. My kids won't stop listening to matchbox 20. What should I do?

message 50: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11667 comments RandomAnthony wrote: "I need some goddamn advice. My kids won't stop listening to matchbox 20. What should I do?"

Ignore them. It will pass.

« previous 1 3 4
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.