Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

Monthly Challenges > Kellee's Rules, Tasks, and Scoreboard *Challenge Ended*

Comments (showing 1-50 of 165) (165 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Kellee (last edited May 03, 2010 05:51PM) (new)

Kellee (KelleeMoye) Since I cannot edit Linda Grace's "Rules, Task & Scoreboard" I made my own so I can edit.

The rules from before still apply:

This is going to be a very easy-going challenge with only 1 task each month. The last week of every month, I will set up a poll with a list of celebrations for the next month and which ever one wins will be the task for that month.

In order to keep our group threads clean, I will create 1 thread for each month and everyone will be able to post which book they read for the task for that month and any thoughts they would like to share. Within each monthly thread, questions and comments regarding that month's celebration can be posted as well. This way we will have a clean thread at the beginning of each new month and will help eliminate repeat questions.

I do not have a requirement for page numbers on this challenge (unless stated in the task). Children's books are okay! Also, a question came up in a message to me whether I will allow more than one book to be counted. I will allow more than one book as long as they are read within the month for that task. These additional books will be another 1 point added to the score board. If you miss a month, you can read a book outside of the month, but only one book will count and it will be counted as 1 point.

Below, I will keep a running list of the monthly tasks for easy reference and a scoreboard (2 points for each task completed within the month, 1 point for any additional tasks completed within the month, and 1 point if the task is completed after-the-fact).

message 2: by Kellee (last edited Jan 01, 2014 07:35PM) (new)

Kellee (KelleeMoye) Here I will keep a running list of the monthly tasks for easy reference:

March 2014: Irish-American Heritage Month- Read a book with any aspect of Irish culture in it. Make sure to say how the book qualifies.

February 2014: Children's Authors and Illustrators Week- Read a children's book that is illustrated.

January 2014: National Science Fiction Day- Read a young adult, middle grade, or juvenile science fiction book.

December 2013: Pretend to be a Time Traveler Day- Read a book where there is time travel.

November 2013: Mickey Mouse Day- Read YA, middle grade or juvenile fiction book that takes place in Florida or California OR has to do with Disney OR has a mouse as a character.

October 2013: National Book Award Day- Read any book that has won a book award.

September 2013: Roald Dahl Day- Read any Roald Dahl book.

August 2013: American Adventure Month- Read a juvenile fiction, middle grade, or young adult novel where the main character goes on adventure somewhere in America.

July 2013: Moon Day- Read a book with a moon (or the night sky) on the cover or with moon in the title.

June 2013: Audiobook Appreciation Month- Listen to an audiobook.

May 2013: Teacher Appreciation Week- Read a book where education or a teacher plays a role in the narrative.

April 2013: Child Abuse Prevention Month- Read a book where a child overcomes some sort of abuse (physical or emotional).

March 2013: Natural Women's History Month- Read a Juv Fic, MG or YA book that has a strong female protagonist.

February 2013: Brotherhood/Sisterhood Week- Read Juv Fic, MG or YA book where the conflict is centered around sibling rivalry between a sister and a brother or some other brother/sister issues.

January 2013: Cuddle Up Day- Cuddle up with a good book for your first 2 point. For extra points, read a Juv Fic, MG or YA book where a romance blooms and the couple cuddles.

December 2012: Human Rights Week- Read a book where a character fights against their human or civil rights being taken away.

November 2012: Sherlock Holmes Weekend- Read a mystery Juv Fic, MG or YA book or read a Juv Fic, MG, or YA book with 2 best guy friends as the main characters.

October 2012: National Face Your Fears Day- Read a horror Juv Fic, MG, or YA book or read a Juv Fic, MG, or YA book with one of your fears in it.

September 2012: Dear Diary Day- Read a Juv Fic, MG or YA book that is written as a diary or has a character that keeps a diary.

August 2012: American Indian Heritage Month- Read a book that has a character of American Indian descent, celebrates American Indian Heritage, takes place on an Indian reserve or has an author of American Indian descent.

July 2012: Roswell UFO Day- Read a Juv Fic, MG or YA book with aliens in it, takes place in Nevada or has a conspiracy in it.

June 2012: Great Outdoors Month- Read a Juv Fic, MG, or YA book where the setting is in the wilderness.

May 2012: National Mental Health Month- Read a Juv Fic, MG, or YA book that deals with mental health.

April 2012: Movie Theater Day- Read any book that has been made into a movie.

March 2012: Witch Hysteria Day- Read a Juv Fic, MG or YA book that features witches, witchcraft or about someone accused of witchcraft.

February 2012: The Day the Music Died- Read a Juv Fic, MG or YA book where one of the characters is a musician OR where music plays a key roll in the story OR a book that takes in the 1950s OR was written in the 1950s.

January 2012: Appreciate a Dragon Day- Read a book that has a dragon in it.

December 2011: Christmas- Read a book where one character gives a gift to another.

November 2011: Young Readers' week- Read a book classified as "Juvenile" or "Middle Grade".

October 2011: Mystery Series Week- Read a YA book that is part of a mystery series.

September 2011: Blasphemy Day- Read a book where the main character questions their religion.

August 2011: Pluto Demoted Day- Read a YA or Juv sci-fi book that takes place in space or on another planet.

July 2011: Comic Con International- Read a graphic novel or a comic book.

June 2011: International Fairy Day- Read a YA or Juv book that has a fairy as a character.

May 2011: Drop Everything And Read Day- Read a book whose title or author's last name starts with D, E, A or R.

April 2011: Nerd/Geek Pride Day- Read a YA book where the main character is considered a nerd or a geek.

March 2011: World Folk Tales and Fables Week- Read a book with aspects of folk tales or fables from a different culture than your own.

February 2011: National Eating Disorder Week- Read a YA, MG or Juvenile book where a character in the book is dealing with an eating disorder.

January 2011: Someday We'll Laugh About This Week- Read a YA, MG, or Juvenile book that makes you laugh and share with us your favorite funny part.

December 2010: First Day of Winter- (In conjunction with the Reading Challenge #6) Read a book about winter or snow OR read a book that takes place during winter break.

November 2010: Celebrate Your Unique Talent Day- Read a book where the protagonist has a special ability, talent, hobby, etc.

October 2010: Halloween- Read a YA book with magic OR read a ghost story.

September 2010: Banned Books Week & Talk Like a Pirate Day- Read a book which is on the ALA Frequently Challenged List OR read a book which takes place on a boat OR read a book with a pirate as a character.

August 2010: Friendship Day- Read a book with "friend" in the title OR read a book where the main characters are friends.

July 2010: Father/Daughter Take a Walk Day- Read a book with a father/daughter theme OR Read a book with the words "father" "daughter" or "walk" in the title OR Read a book (YA or Adult) recommended to you by your father or daughter

June 2010: First Day of Summer - Read a YA book with "sun" or "summer" in the title or a YA book that takes place by the beach.

May 2010: Holocaust Memorial Day - Read a book from GRs Holocaust Shelf, or a YA book with "remember" in the title.

April 2010: April Fools Day - Read a book of Jokes, a book categorized as comedy, or a book with the words "fool", "prank", or "joke" in the title.

March 2010: Dr. Suess' Birthday - Read a book (or multiple books) written by Dr. Suess in honor of his birthday totaling 100 pages.

February 2010: Valentine's Day - Read a book with the word "Valentine", "Love", or "Heart" in the title, OR a YA book with a red or pink cover.

January 2010: New Year's Day - Read a YA book that has the word "New" or "Midnight" in the title, a date in the title, OR a book from the "Resolution" shelf on GR.

December 2009: Read a New Book Month - Read a YA book that was released anytime in October 2009, November 2009, or December 2009.

November 2009: Day of the Dead - Read a YA book that has the word "dead"/"death"/"die" in the title, the word "remember" in the title, OR takes place in Mexico.

message 3: by Kellee (last edited Jan 01, 2014 08:01PM) (new)

Kellee (KelleeMoye) Scoreboard:

Kellee: 153 points
Cathy: 111 points
Angela: 97 points
Kristen: 90 points
Karis: 83 points
Jennifer W.: 59 points
Kayla: 41 points
Ann: 24 points
Brandi: 23 points
Paul: 22 points
Mary Beth: 19 points
Rora: 14 points
Erika: 13 points
Stephanie: 7 points
Lindy: 3 points
Jennifer: 2 points
Celeste: 2 points

Current Participants' Points Earned: 763

Past Participants: 243 points (have not participated in over a year- you are welcome to join us again and I will be happy to add you back to the leader board.)

Total Points: 1006

message 4: by Kellee (new)

Kellee (KelleeMoye) Please let me know if any of your tasks were not counted up until now so I can adjust the scoreboard. Unless I hear from you, I will assume the scoreboard is correct.

message 5: by Jennifer W, WT Moderator (new)

Jennifer W | 1289 comments Mod
Looks great, Kellee!

I found this website http://www.brownielocks.com/month2.html for listings of odd holidays. Each month I'll go through and pick a few that sound like they would make good book reading topics and post a poll so people can vote. These are only US holidays, though, so if you know about other holidays throughout the world (traditional holidays, too, I'm sad to say I don't know much about world holidays) please let me know by the 20th of the preceding month and I will add them to the list. Thanks!

message 6: by Amy (last edited May 05, 2010 07:44AM) (new)

Amy | 1947 comments If I wasn't participating before, can I start now? I've already read one of the Holocaust books on the list. How do I get that title to you? Do I just post it in the thread?

Angela Sunshine (AngelaSunshine) Amy wrote: "If I wasn't participating before, can I start now? I've already read one of the Holocaust books on the list. How do I get that title to you? Do I just post it in the thread?"

You can start anytime Amy. The Holocaust book would have to be read this month to count though because the task didn't begin until May 1st.

You can do older tasks after the fact (so if you've read a book with the word "Dead" in the title anytime in Nov. 2009 or after it will count)

Make any sense?? lol...

message 8: by Amy (last edited May 05, 2010 09:47AM) (new)

Amy | 1947 comments It does. I just started a Holocast book two days ago!

If I do older tasks, will those points count?

Angela Sunshine (AngelaSunshine) Yep, older tasks count for 2 points during their month and 1 point after the fact.

message 10: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1947 comments That's good to know. Now, going to go back through my good reads list to see if anything applies. If so, I just post them in the monthly points section right? Do I have to list any info like page numbers and such? (other than the title of course)

message 11: by Jennifer W, WT Moderator (new)

Yes, Amy, find the posting for the month and put your completed book(s) there. It would be helpful to post your points earned for that task along with your total points for the entire challenge at that time, too. You only have to list page counts or other info if the task asks for it (for example, Dr. Suess month we counted by page count). I believe, though, that we only allow 1 after the fact book to count. At least that's how Linda was doing it, not that we have to hold to that rule. What do you think Kellee?

message 12: by Angela Sunshine (new)

Angela Sunshine (AngelaSunshine) Jennifer W wrote: "Yes, Amy, find the posting for the month and put your completed book(s) there. It would be helpful to post your points earned for that task along with your total points for the entire challenge at ..."

Jennifer, I just yanked this off of another post:
Linda Grace wrote: "Cathy, that is a good one. However, we were only allowing multiple books to count if they were read within the challenge month. After-the-fact reads should only be done if you didn't get a chance..."

So yep, only one after the fact counts. I didn't know that until right now! I just posted multiples yesterday...oops! Hopefully you and Kellee can sort out my mess :-/

message 13: by Kellee (new)

Kellee (KelleeMoye) Jennifer W wrote: "Looks great, Kellee!

I found this website http://www.brownielocks.com/month2.html for listings of odd holidays. Each month I'll go through and pick a few that sound like they would make good book..."

That sounds wonderful Jennifer :)
If you could send me the list before you post the poll, that way I can tell you if there is any other holidays I know.
This is pretty exciting! :)

message 14: by Kellee (last edited May 05, 2010 03:20PM) (new)

Kellee (KelleeMoye) You can only read one book after the fact and it is worth one point; however, during the month you can read as many as you want.

During the month, the first book read is worth 2 points while each additional book is worth 1.

message 15: by Kellee (last edited May 05, 2010 03:24PM) (new)

Kellee (KelleeMoye) Angela- you only posted for December, correct? For some reason it is not telling me that there are any new points, but it seems to be the only one that was updated recently...

message 16: by Kellee (new)

Kellee (KelleeMoye) The easiest way for me to keep track is if you guys would post your tasks like this:

Completed Tasks: May

Hitler Youth: Growing Up in Hitler's Shadow by Susan Campbell Bartoletti 5/3/10

Points Earned: 2
Total Points: 27

This will help me until I get a handle on this.

message 17: by Angela Sunshine (new)

Angela Sunshine (AngelaSunshine) Kellee wrote: "Angela- you only posted for December, correct? For some reason it is not telling me that there are any new points, but it seems to be the only one that was updated recently..."

Sorry to confuse you! I deleted the posts because I was playing outside of the rules. :-(

I'm not sure whether my December ones were added in or not...

message 18: by Kellee (new)

Kellee (KelleeMoye) Angela- I added one point for reading a book that met the task requirements after the month of December.

message 19: by Kellee (new)

Kellee (KelleeMoye) Welcome to the board Amy!! Yes, you did everything perfectly- good luck and thank you for participating.

message 20: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1947 comments Thanks. Happy to be here. Although I don't think I'll be finishing my May read in time. I starte The Diary of a Young Girl at the beginning of the month. I have maybe 40 pages to go and I'm struggling to get through it (which doesn't usually happen).

message 21: by Amy (new)

Amy | 25 comments I think it's going to get confusing having two Amys!! :)

message 22: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1947 comments OMG! I didn't even realize Amy!! LOL! Yes, it will be confusing.

message 23: by Kellee (last edited May 27, 2010 02:15PM) (new)

Kellee (KelleeMoye) Message 20 Amy- I'll call you Amy (flowers) :)
and Message 21 Amy- You'll be Amy (dogs)

Is that okay?

And Amy (flowers) you have no points yet and Amy (dogs) you have 4, correct?

message 24: by Amy (new)

Amy | 25 comments Love it! Correct on the 4 points!

message 25: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1947 comments Yes, that works for me! Flower (moi) is still strugglnig. Hoping June will be better for getting on the board. Not to mention I have this mega research project and I've been totally slacking!

message 26: by Amy (new)

Amy | 25 comments Flower...cute! But I'm so not calling myself "Dog"! :)

message 27: by Kellee (new)

Kellee (KelleeMoye) Amy wrote: "Flower...cute! But I'm so not calling myself "Dog"! :)"

You could be chair? :)

message 28: by Kellee (new)

Kellee (KelleeMoye) Jennifer W-
Time for the July poll? That way I can get the challenge up early so people can plan :)

message 29: by Angela Sunshine (new)

Angela Sunshine (AngelaSunshine) Amy wrote: "Flower...cute! But I'm so not calling myself "Dog"! :)"

I like Amy-boxer. Makes you sound tough :)

message 30: by Jennifer W, WT Moderator (new)

I'll try to get a list up by the weekend. If anyone else knows of any weird or odd holidays celebrated in the month of July that would make for some good reading topics, please post them here and I'll include them. Thanks!

message 31: by Heather (new)

Heather Ohana (blackdotbug) There's always Christmas in July.
July is Anti-Boredom month and Blueberry month and Picnic month among others.
For specific days:
July 1 - International Joke Day (humor-related)
July 8 - The day the Liberty Bell cracked (American history)
July 11 - Cheer up the Lonely Day (friendship related)
July 14 - Bastille Day (French in text or title or location)
July 16 - Apollo 11 lift-off (moon or space related)
July 22 - Pied Piper of Hamlin Day (music or rat related)
July 24 - Amelia Earhart's Birthday (flight related)
July 28 - First Use of Fingerprints as a Means of Identification (mystery/crime related)
July 31 - First US Patent Issued (invention related)

message 32: by Nick (new)

Nick G Is there a way to search Goodreads by title AND genre? What I want to do is search Goodreads for something with "sun" in the title and something that is "YA" genre.

message 33: by Jennifer W, WT Moderator (new)

Some good holidays, there, Heather, thanks!

Nick, what I do is look up the word and then click on books that look like they might be YA and see if people have shelved them as such. Not very efficient, but it gets me looking through lots of good books. :)

Also, your library may have a way to search like that, mine does.

message 34: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl | 157 comments I would like to join the challenge. I have total of 7 points to date. I will post the individual books in the other threads.

message 35: by Kellee (new)

Kellee (KelleeMoye) Nick wrote: "Is there a way to search Goodreads by title AND genre? What I want to do is search Goodreads for something with "sun" in the title and something that is "YA" genre."

You can search for lists that are based around that topic. Go to explore-books- then lists. I don't know if you will find anything though... I haven't looked.

message 36: by Kellee (new)

Kellee (KelleeMoye) vicki_girl wrote: "I would like to join the challenge. I have total of 7 points to date. I will post the individual books in the other threads."

Welcome!!
I will check the other threads and update the score board when I get home :)

message 37: by vicki_girl (last edited Jun 03, 2010 08:07PM) (new)

vicki_girl | 157 comments Nick wrote: "Is there a way to search Goodreads by title AND genre? What I want to do is search Goodreads for something with "sun" in the title and something that is "YA" genre."

As far as I know, No. What I do is go to the Young-Adult shelf. The I go to my browser's menu and select "find on this page". I then go through each page like that. Like Jennifer W's method, not very efficient, but I don't have to scroll through a bunch of titles.

message 38: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 136 comments July

4th of July -- we can pick a book relating to Freedom or Independence...

message 39: by Jennifer W, WT Moderator (new)

OK... This is the list I've come up with for possible holidays celebrated.

-Dog/yellow pig/ cow appreciation (pet) day
-Father/Daughter take a walk day
-Gorgeous grandma/cousin/parents day (also family reunion month)
-Child-centered divorce month
-Be Nice to New Jersey week
-4th of July/Bastille Day
-Sports Cliche week
-Canada Day
-Apollo 11 lift off day
-Amelia Earhart's Birthday

There, that's 10 possible choices. If anyone has any others, let me know. I'll get a poll up in a few days.

message 40: by Kellee (new)

Kellee (KelleeMoye) I love the list Jennifer! Sports cliche- CLASSIC! :P

message 41: by Amy (new)

Amy | 25 comments Kellee! LOL! I was totally kidding about the dog thing - you so didn't have to change it on the scoreboard... too funny! :)

message 42: by Kellee (new)

Kellee (KelleeMoye) Amy wrote: "Kellee! LOL! I was totally kidding about the dog thing - you so didn't have to change it on the scoreboard... too funny! :)"

AngelaSunshine was right- boxer totally sounded better :P

message 43: by Jennifer W, WT Moderator (last edited Jun 08, 2010 08:01AM) (new)

Poll is up for July's topic!! On the group's opening page, select polls on the right hand side. You may have to scroll down a little bit to see it.

message 44: by Kellee (new)

Kellee (KelleeMoye) Remember to vote for July's topic. The poll closes on June 15th. I'll have the topic up within the week after the poll closes.

Happy voting! :)

message 45: by Jennifer W, WT Moderator (last edited Jun 14, 2010 06:49PM) (new)

August holiday list:

-American Indian Heritage Month
-Audio Book Appreciation Month
-National Resurrect Romance Week (8-14)
-National Smile Week
-Girlfriend's Day (1st)
-Friendship Day (3rd)
-Hiroshima Day (6th)
-Homeless Animal Day (18th)
-Poet's Day (21st)
-Day for the Remembrance of Slave Trade and its Abolition (23rd)
-Kiss and Make-up Day (25th)
-Women's Equality Day (26th)

Let me know if there's any world holidays celebrated during August that I can add.

message 46: by Kellee (last edited Jun 13, 2010 05:41PM) (new)

Kellee (KelleeMoye) Jennifer: How about...
National Smile Week
Friendship Day (8-3)
Kiss and Make-up Day (8-25)
Homeless Animal Day (8-18)

message 47: by Jennifer W, WT Moderator (last edited Jun 14, 2010 06:45PM) (new)

September holiday list:

-National Drug and Alcohol Addiction Recovery Month
-National Hispanic Heritage Month (Sept 15-Oct 15)
-Cable TV Month
-Read-A-New Book month

-Turn Off your TV Week (19-25)
-Suicide Prevention Week (5-11) also World Suicide Prevention Day on the 12th
-Banned Books Week (Sept 27- Oct 2)
-Rosh Hashanah (8th)
-Patriot Day (11th)
-Talk Like a Pirate Day (19th)
-Trail of Tears Commemoration Day (16th)
-World Tourism Day (27th)

Again, let me know if there are any world holidays I should add.
Otherwise, I'll put polls up in a couple days.

message 48: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl | 157 comments It's more of a fun holiday but it is international...

September 19th is International Talk Like A Pirate Day

It's one of my favorite days of the year!!!:D

message 49: by Kellee (new)

Kellee (KelleeMoye) How about also:

Cable TV Month
Read-A-New book month
Patriot Day (9-11)

message 50: by Jennifer W, WT Moderator (new)

Hehe, I saw that Vicki, but I didn't know how well that would work for a book topic. Same with Cable TV month. I'll add Read-A-New book month (Sept or August, Kellee?) and Patriot Day.

« previous 1 3 4

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Scumble (other topics)
Wintergirls (other topics)
The Power of Six (other topics)
Secret Speakers and the Search for Selador's Gate (other topics)
Godless (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Pete Hautman (other topics)
Christina Meldrum (other topics)
K.S.R. Kingworth (other topics)
Robert Liparulo (other topics)