Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Pet reading hates

Comments Showing 1-50 of 72 (72 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Belinda (new)

Belinda | 13 comments What are the things you hate about other people's reading choices or habits?
I know it sounds nasty, but I'm fairly sure most people have them.
For me, after working in a busy bookstore, it's when people wont even try to read something different!
For instance, since the Twilight infatuation, so many more people just won't move out of the Vampire Romance genre. Don't get me wrong, I havent got a problem with the genre itself (I'm a mad Sookie Stackhouse fan), I just get annoyed when I show someone a book I'm fairly sure they'll like, but they wont try because it doesnt involve bloodsucking dead people! It goes for most genres, eg sci-fi, people who will only read capital L literature etc etc.
Also, people who borrow books and treat them badly! I dont mind if you do it to your own books, just dont hurt mine! (Maybe I'm just overprotective =P)
Does anyone else feel the same?
Or another thing people do that make you squirm?

message 2: by Rach (new)

Rach | 2 comments agreed =) try and mix it up! reading similar stuff all the times gets boring!!

message 3: by Rach (new)

Rach | 2 comments actually even worse than that is when people to refuse to read ANYTHING afetr reading twilight!

message 4: by Tim (new)

Tim Weakley | 396 comments I think my pet peeve is people who fold books and write in them...just...quit it!

message 5: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 394 comments I do agree that you should try and mix it up a bit. There are some authors I love but I'm not going to read everything they've ever written on the trot - life would be a bit boring. Yes, I think we should look after our books - and others! Another pet hate of mine is when people turn their nose up at what you're reading - I mean, each to their own!

message 6: by Pickles (new)

Pickles (angstypickles) It doesn't really bug me if people prefer to stick within a specific genre/sub-genre. To each his/her own. But I do hate it when you lend someone a book and they don't take care of it. This is why I don't lend my books out anymore. I either never got them back or had them returned in shabby condition when they were pristine before I lent them out. I’m really anal retentive about how I treat my books and I would be the same with a book someone lent me, and I don’t think it’s unrealistic to expect someone to be careful with a book they borrowed from me.

Someone else said it already, but I also hate it when people are disparaging toward other people’s reading choices. I’ve been a big romance reader since I was a kid (literally since junior high school) and I despise the fact that some people who don’t read romance are so snobby and dismissive of the genre. I remember reading a romance author interview in which she said that someone came up to her at a book-signing and asked her when she was going to write a “real book.” That’s so disrespectful, in my opinion. Some of the best books I’ve ever read have been romances. I’m not saying that every romance novel is an outstanding work of literature or anything like that -- as with any genre there are bad ones along with the good -- but there is a reason that romance outsells every other book genre and accounts for about 50% of total book sales.

message 7: by Marie-vicky (new)

Marie-vicky (grimace) | 30 comments I compare books with cereals try as many varietes you can. What I hate the most its when i lend a book and I don't see the color again of the book.

message 8: by Connie (new)

Connie Faull | 611 comments Bella wrote: "What are the things you hate about other people's reading choices or habits?
I know it sounds nasty, but I'm fairly sure most people have them.
For me, after working in a busy bookstore, it's whe..."

I hate to admit it, but I do agree with you (let the scathing begin). But seriously, I have some friends that I've recommended some GREAT books to who look at me and say "is it a mystery? I ONLY read mysteries." Don't get me wrong, I read mysteries too and I throw in some YA lit, as well as the typical beach reads (Koontz, Patterson, Sookie Stackhouse), but people really do themselves an injustice by refusing to Grow a little in their reading habits. Even though I should just be happy that these other people are reading anything, it just irks me a little.

message 9: by Donna (last edited Mar 29, 2010 07:15AM) (new)

Donna | 1350 comments I guess some people just know what they like. If it's the difference between expanding their horizons & not reading at all, I say leave them in peace. I rarely recommend books to my friends as they know of my trashy romance addiction & think that I don't read anything else, when if fact I'd have to say I read pretty much anything when it comes to fiction. One BFF was in total shock when she found out I had read "The Dogs of Babel" (really good, BTW), and that she loved the Alice Hoffman book I gave her for her birthday. I guess I was shocked to find out she was reading novels instead of the usual self-help/self actualization books. It's annoying when people don't see what you see in a book, but it's also their loss. Pity them & move on.

message 10: by Connie (new)

Connie Faull | 611 comments Harper said: "Someone else said it already, but I also hate it when people are disparaging toward other people’s reading choices..."

It's funny you said this. Last year I was watching CSPAN's book t.v. and they had a discussion panel about ereaders. The writer from the NY Times said that a lot of the literary types disliked the Kindle or ereaders because they make it impossible to see what someone is reading (ie. so that they can't pass their judgment on this person particular reading habits.). She said it jokingly, but you know those literary types, it's probably partially true.

message 11: by Kimathy (new)

Kimathy Tim wrote: "I think my pet peeve is people who fold books and write in them...just...quit it!"

i confess that i do bend the page sometimes...but only when i cant find anything to put between the pages. and my English teacher, when we were reading the hobbit, made us write in the books! Ag! i felt like i was disgracing it!!

message 12: by Bj (new)

Bj Hunter (bjhunter) I have a friend who is a huge Harry Potter fan, and she has tried millions of times to get me to read them, but I just can't... I have tried several YA novels and they just don't do anything for me, blame it on my age maybe (I am 40). I have watched a few of the movies with my kids and I didn't like those either, but I love adult fantasy novels. So I guess she has a reading hate, me!

message 13: by Cecilia (last edited Mar 28, 2010 09:56AM) (new)

Cecilia (cissygold) I don't like it when someone says they hate a book, because they hate a character or something the character does. They cannot see that the author has moved them and made them feel passionate about the book. Therefore the book should not be hated but revered.

message 14: by Connie (new)

Connie Faull | 611 comments BJ - I am the same way, I could not read Harry Potter, but I did just read The Hunger Games & Catching Fire and they were great books. I'm 42 and don't read much YA and the only reason I read The Hunger Games was because I didn't know it was a YA book until after I bought it. But now I can't wait until the 3rd and final installment is released in August!!!

message 15: by LOVEFORBOOKS (new)

LOVEFORBOOKS (nosaintsfan23) | 15 comments i hate people who read one thing all the time i agree that u need to mix it up some

message 16: by jeanne (new)

jeanne (jeannoula) | 106 comments Cecilia wrote: "I don't like it when someone says they hate a book, because they hate a character or something the character does. They cannot see that the author has moved them and made them feel passionate about..."

Bj wrote: "I have a friend who is a huge Harry Potter fan, and she has tried millions of times to get me to read them, but I just can't... I have tried several YA novels and they just don't do anything for me..."

This is my biggest peeve. When someone says the HATED a book, but then go on and on about how they hate a character or hate the subject because it's depressing. I just want to shake them and say "you hate the character, not the book! The book obviously has some impact on you due to your huge reaction to it". I agree, they should revere or embrace the book, not shun it. Hate a book for it poor writing not for it's characters...

message 17: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenofthebookworm) I don't object to people not trying different types of books but I do object when people look down their noses at whatever you happen to be reading.
My sister who reads at least one book a year,and yes you did read that properly and even better it is always the same book, is one of the worst offenders for this. Why are you reading that book? I'm reading it because I want to, because the blurb on the back caught my imagination or because it was recommended to me by people who have read some of the same books I have and they thought I might like it.

As for people mistreating books, that really winds me up and it doesn't matter if it's my book, their own or a library book. Don't fold over the pages, don't write in it and certainly don't leave it open face down.

message 18: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 394 comments I too object to people looking down their noses at what your reading - it doesn't mattter what you read just READ

message 19: by Emily (new)

Emily Tim wrote: "I think my pet peeve is people who fold books and write in them...just...quit it!"

I don't like to bend books either, but I must admit that I do sometimes write in them. To me, if there is a book that I really connect with or find particularly interesting/inspiring/etc, it is not disrespectful at all to make notes in it. I actually feel like I am developing a relationship with the content. I love rereading books with my old notes in them and seeing how my thoughts and feelings have changed (or not). I also love finding used books with other people's notes. I agree that books are something to cherish, and I see my notes and underlines as a mark of my love for them.

message 20: by Linda (new)

Linda Quinton-Burr | 2 comments Sorry all -- my books are a mess because I read when I'm eating, drinking, baking, etc. I also put stickies in books, underline, write and generally mark up so there is some remote possibility that when I want a quote for something I can find it again. That makes reading a very expensive proposition because I obviously have to buy my own books. But they are good friends and anyone who needs books in pristine condition needn't bother borrowing mine. I'm now trying to locate a certain passage in a Michael Connelly novel I read years ago --guess I should start another thread for that. lindaq

message 21: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1350 comments I admit that outside of textbooks I've never written in a book, but lately I am more and more tempted to get out a red pen while reading. Does anyone proofread manuscripts these days? Nothing pulls me out of the moment more than finding the wrong word, wrong tense or wrong punctuation in the middle of a sentence. I'm not claiming to be a composition goddess, but then I'm not being paid to write or publish. One of these days it's going to happen, and then I'll mail it back to the editor with a letter about how their parents wasted the tuition money.

message 22: by VWrulesChick (new)

VWrulesChick | 351 comments Donna wrote: "I admit that outside of textbooks I've never written in a book, but lately I am more and more tempted to get out a red pen while reading. Does anyone proofread manuscripts these days? Nothing pulls..."

Hahahaha, and here I thought I was the only one when I came across these grammatical errors and wanting to do the same. Too bad their mistakes are in print, hopefully they are bright enough to figure it out and fix it when they put the book on the next printing run.

message 23: by Krista (new)

Krista (kristaonpurpose) Tim wrote: "I think my pet peeve is people who fold books and write in them...just...quit it!"

You'd hate my library -- I am an underliner and a dog-earer, but it's only because I get so enthralled with what I'm reading.

message 24: by Krista (new)

Krista (kristaonpurpose) I hate when people say Gone with the Wind is their favorite book and they read it X amount of times per year. I know that there are people who legitimately love GwtW, and I don't begrudge them that, but I know too many people who are quick to say it's their favorite book when I'm pretty sure that they've never actually read it, but rather seen the movie.

message 25: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1350 comments Krista wrote: You'd hate my library -- I am an underliner and a dog-earer, but it's only because I get so enthralle..."

Actually, we'd probably love your library since they obviously don't fine you for the destruction. Mine sure does.

message 26: by Krista (new)

Krista (kristaonpurpose) Donna wrote: "Krista wrote: You'd hate my library -- I am an underliner and a dog-earer, but it's only because I get so enthralle..."

Actually, we'd probably love your library since they obviously don't fine ..."

Oh, I meant my personal library! I don't always use the public library because of my need to write/jot/doodle/highlight books. :)

message 27: by Molly (new)

Molly | 330 comments Karen wrote: "I don't object to people not trying different types of books but I do object when people look down their noses at whatever you happen to be reading.

As for people mistreating books, that really winds me up and it doesn't matter if it's my book, their own or a library book. Don't fold over the pages, don't write in it and certainly don't leave it open face down..."

I won't look down on your reading selections if you don't look down on me for writing in my own books.

The way I see it, reading should be encouraged, so it shouldn't matter what people read - just that they do.

As for the proper treatment of books - as long as they aren't being banned I see nothing wrong with handling them however you like - provided you own them and they aren't borrowed from others.

message 28: by Cecilia (new)

Cecilia (cissygold) Okay, I have never really thought people who write in their books was a problem. It is their book. I never thought that anyone who spills coffee in their books is a problem. It is their book. I have never really given much thought to how people treat their books. Well today, I picked up a book from the library and there is no other word but "DISGUSTING" to describe the condition of this book. I don't know if someone was reading it in the rain, dropped it in rusty puddle or bled all over it. It is pretty gross

I guess if you are someone who eats, drinks or cuts yourself while reading, please be aware that a library book is not YOUR book. That is all I have to say.

Then again I don't know if it would have bothered me quite as much if I hadn't read this thread. LOL!

BTW... the book is about a butcher so the bleeding rust stains all over the book make the situation more disturbing, and a little funny.

message 29: by Belinda (new)

Belinda | 13 comments Oh dear Cecilia! That sounds awful, I'd be taking it back and showing the librarian what someone did to it!
Mind you, I can see the funny side of the whole butcher thing, maybe someon thought they were being hilarious..

message 30: by Felina (new)

Felina My only real 'pet reading hate' are girls who make me feel like I'm less than a woman because I haven't read and don't mean to read classic chick lit i.e. Pride and Prejudice/Sense and Sensibility/Wuthering Heights. There is something a little irritating to me about books that focus only on the importance of getting a man.

message 31: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenofthebookworm) Molly wrote: "Karen wrote: "I don't object to people not trying different types of books but I do object when people look down their noses at whatever you happen to be reading.

As for people mistreating books..."

I know I'm completely anal and I would never say to anybody about them writing in their books I know that it is their property and they can do what they like with it but I do say something if it's my book they are abusing.
Anyway the joys of sharing the planet with other people means that there will always be somebody doing something that annoys us.

message 32: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 775 comments I hate the superior attitudes of some who "ONLY read nonfiction". You are free to read what you want, but don't look down on me because I appreciate a good imagination!

message 33: by Cecilia (new)

Cecilia (cissygold) Readerann wrote: "I hate the superior attitudes of some who "ONLY read nonfiction". You are free to read what you want, but don't look down on me because I appreciate a good imagination!"

I knew someone like that. I then informed him when I was in college I was a history major, and most my assigned reading was fiction. I must have read about 70 novels a semester. Nonfiction is great for facts or a specific reference, but if you want to learn about people and culture and political pulses, you have to read novels (the kings court jesters were the only ones allowed to tell the truth).

message 34: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) Felina wrote: "My only real 'pet reading hate' are girls who make me feel like I'm less than a woman because I haven't read and don't mean to read classic chick lit i.e. Pride and Prejudice/Sense and Sensibility/..."

Wuthering Heights *gag* I can completely relate to this.

My personal pet peeve goes a little further. Why is it that if you have a female and male heroes in a book that they will fall in love/have sex/etc? Is it not possible for males and females to have some sort of relationship that is not romantic?

I also have to admit to having a very anal negative reaction to people writing in books. I'll even refuse to pickup a cheap used book I've been wanting if there is writing in it.

My point of view on this is that I really don't care or even want to know what you thought of the book, or thought was important in the book, or what you thought was fascinating with the book, or even what you disliked about the book. I considered murder the day I ran across a book that was filled with doodles of the main male character's name with little hearts around them. :)

message 35: by LadyCalico (last edited Apr 28, 2010 08:56AM) (new)

LadyCalico | 248 comments My first two pet peeves have already been mentioned here--many times--but I'll repeat them just to communicate how annoying these things are. (1) I hate intellectual snobbism where one person puts down another's reading tastes, especially if they feel obligated to be obscene about it as well. I recently read a review where someone gave a low rating and a long negative review to a wonderful mystery novel just because he had recently re-read To Kill a Mockingbird and felt the latter was a greatly preferable work for supreme intellectual beings such as himself. Hello, Supreme Snob, anyone ever inform you of the futility of comparing apples to oranges.
(2) As much as I hate it when people get food, grease, creases, highlights, scribbles, and various variety of dirt and tears on books that they then have the nerve to sell as used, I really hate it even more when they do it to LIBRARY books. It takes away a lot of pleasure from reading to wonder if the brown stains all over the book meant the previous patron had used it for toilet paper.
(3) I hate it when people negatively rate and review a book based on the audio-book version, possibly an abridged version, and their opinions of the actors. I think it greatly unfair to the hard-working author and potential readers to give a 1 or 2 star rating to a good book just because the producers of the audio-book did a poor job of casting. Please, rate and review the work based on how you think the author did.

message 36: by Belinda (new)

Belinda | 13 comments I just remembered from reading the above posts about Wuthering Heights etc a new born pet hate.
I hate that now that Twilight is so big, its taking over other works of fiction! There are now copies of Wuthering Heights, Jane Eyre and Pride and Prejudice in copycat Twilight covers... Wuthering Heights comes complete with a printed on "Bella and Edward's Favourite Book" sticker on it.
I guess its good that the covers might get young readers into classic books, but I dont know if they'd understand the writing style if they had only read Twilight before.
I don't know... I think the whole marketing to Twilight lovers almost cheapens the classics.

message 37: by Carol (last edited Apr 29, 2010 08:18AM) (new)

Carol Neman | 469 comments I just realized when I read the title of this thread in the daily recap of comments that I, too, have a literary pet peeve. I hate that so much of our old, traditional, fictional literature has been changed, abridged, abbreviated or plain eliminated because of the PC issue. No more Little Black Sambo, Dr. Doolittle has been disguised beyond recognition...the movie Song of the South, taken from Uncle Remus stories of Br'er Rabbit, gone too. I'm all for treating people with respect, but at the same time why completely obliterate a cultural reference when it should be, and could be, explained in context of the time and place in which it was written. This, to me, too much like re-writing history. It makes it seem as if the issue should be covered up, instead of being examined.

message 38: by Cecilia (new)

Cecilia (cissygold) Carol wrote: "I just realized when I read the title of this thread in the daily recap of comments that I, too, have a literary pet peeve. I hate that so much of our old, traditional, fictional literature has be..."

This is very sad. It is our history. The sad thing is the people who are asking for it to go away, more than likely have never read the stories. Some of these stories are thinly veiled rebellions, and hold a deeper message than the stereotype that tells the story.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

FYI - There is a wonderful retelling of the Little Black Sambo story called Sam and the Tigers. It was written by Julius Lester and illustrated by Jerry Pinckney, both African American.

message 40: by Emma (new)

Emma (emma_jane2) I really get annoyed when people won't try anything different too. For example I will recommend a book to my sister she will glance at the blurb and will refuse to read it. It could be the best thing she's read but won't give it a shot!

message 41: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenofthebookworm) Emma you have just described my sister. I've stopped making recommendations to her it's just a waste of time.

message 42: by Emma (new)

Emma (emma_jane2) Exactly Karen. It's very fustrating, especially when you know she will enjoy it.

message 43: by Faye (new)

Faye | 673 comments Mod
My biggest pet peeve... when flipping over the next page of a library book, brushing my fingers against something hard and crunchy, then seeing a booger or a dried snail trail plus booger there. Sorry, I know; so gross to even read, but this has happened to me more than once. Just DISGUSTING. I have to wash my hands a few times after that. Use a kleenex dammit.

Weirdly, I kind of like finding handwriting in a book. Sometimes comments seem so obscure out of context. Though I never write in books myself.

message 44: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenofthebookworm) Faye wrote: "My biggest pet peeve... when flipping over the next page of a library book, brushing my fingers against something hard and crunchy, then seeing a booger or a dried snail trail plus booger there. So..."

Faye that is so gross, people are just disgusting. Most people wouldn't dream of doing that with a book they own but a borrowed one, although you could use other peoples disgusting habits as justification for buying new books.

message 45: by P. (new)

P. (shimizusan) | 131 comments I hold my hand up and admit I do dog-ear. I have numerous bookmarks from here and there. I even got myself some really nice expensive ones, but they are never around when you need them. Plus I read 3-4 books on the go, I leave them lying around. There's even one in the toilet!

I like mixing genres up too. But I'm very cautious about who or what I read. There is a certain pattern to my reading. A book must 'jump out' at me. The book chooses me, I think, that's what I like.

I rarely underline or write in books. As someone said, I only do it if I feel a connection with it. The last time I ever did any scribbling was with House of Leaves. Anyone who's read it will understand that you can't HELP it.

And lending a book and not getting it back. UGH! Been there, don't that. Never again ... The dried booger thing has happened to me though... that was nasty. Whever I take out boks from the library I always detol the plastic front cover. I can't abide not knowing where the book has been!!! But the pages inside... I can't use disinfectant on those unfortunately lol!

This is an excellent topic!

message 46: by P. (new)

P. (shimizusan) | 131 comments Carol wrote: "I just realized when I read the title of this thread in the daily recap of comments that I, too, have a literary pet peeve. I hate that so much of our old, traditional, fictional literature has be..."

Carol, just spotted your comment. YES! I can't abide this either. I want to READ these books the way they were first printed. Get a feel and a taste for that era. Changing these stories is like taking a 1000 year old fossil and immersing it in acid. It should be stopped. Uncle Remus stories are a good example.

message 47: by Harold (new)

Harold | 119 comments I'm annoyed by the increasing number of product plugs in "pop" literature.

message 48: by Belinda (new)

Belinda | 13 comments Hear hear Harold!! I dont want to know what brand disinectant they use, or how the author makes a character 'authentic' by making them list out their favourite musicians or movies. (Nick Hornby and Audrey Niffenegger, I'm talking to you)

message 49: by P. (new)

P. (shimizusan) | 131 comments Add Brett Easton Ellis to that too... He may have been the one to start it all off with American Psycho

message 50: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (bookspinesandwine) I hate how people will not read something because it is popular. I read Twilight before it was the big deal that it is today, and now if I tell people to read it or tell them I love it, they have this judgmental attitude like "oh your one of those twilight people." I know someone who refuses to read it just because it would be conformist to do so. I made this mistake with Harry Potter. I was a snob and refused to read it becuase it was popular. When I finally broke down and read it, I felt like a true idiot for mocking the series. I mean, it has a huge fan base for a reason! If its not your type of thing, then fine. But dont be a snob and don't judge me for being a fan of something.

« previous 1