Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1)
This topic is about The Lightning Thief
The Lightning Thief Discussions > If you liked Lightning Thief, you should try...(fill in the blank?)

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Chantelle (chantelle13) | 10 comments Loved Lightning Thief, want to keep the momentum going, especially for my 8 1/2 year old who just finished the whole series...what did you read after/before in the same vein that you liked just as much?

Thanks!

message 2: by Jenny (last edited Mar 16, 2010 11:24AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenny (narcisse) Not sure how obvious or not some of these might be, but off the top of my head, here are some child-appropriate suggestions for those who like Percy Jackson/Harry Potter type books:

Neil Gaiman stuff:
Coraline by Neil Gaiman The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman Odd and the Frost Giants by Neil Gaiman

The Chronicles of Prydain:
The Book of Three (Chronicles of Prydain, #1) by Lloyd Alexander The Black Cauldron (The Chronicles of Prydain, #2) by Lloyd Alexander The Castle of Llyr (The Chronicles of Prydain, #3) by Lloyd Alexander Taran Wanderer (The Chronicles of Prydain, #4) by Lloyd Alexander The High King (Chronicles of Prydain, #5) by Lloyd Alexander

Diana Wynne Jones (any of her books, but I am particularly fond of the ones with Howl in them):
Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones Castle in the Air  by Diana Wynne Jones House of Many Ways by Diana Wynne Jones

Artemis Fowl:
Artemis Fowl (Artemis Fowl, #1) by Eoin Colfer Artemis Fowl The Arctic Incident (Artemis Fowl, #2) by Eoin Colfer Artemis Fowl The Eternity Code (Artemis Fowl, #3) by Eoin Colfer Artemis Fowl The Opal Deception (Artemis Fowl, #4) by Eoin Colfer Artemis Fowl The Lost Colony (Artemis Fowl, #5) by Eoin Colfer Artemis Fowl The Time Paradox (Artemis Fowl, #6) by Eoin Colfer

The Ember Series:
The City of Ember (The Ember Series, #1) by Jeanne DuPrau The People of Sparks (The Ember Series, #2)  by Jeanne DuPrau The Prophet of Yonwood (The Ember Series, #3)  by Jeanne DuPrau The Diamond of Darkhold (The Ember Series, #4)  by Jeanne DuPrau

message 3: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
Wow! A lot of suggestions there! I have been dying to read Artemis Fowl! I need to get started on it!

message 4: by Annalisa (last edited Mar 23, 2010 08:41PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Annalisa (goodreadsannalisa) Chantelle,
My 8 1/2 year old also liked Fablehaven, but not as much. It was a little harder for her to get into. Have you considered starting him/her on Harry Potter? My daughter loved those. 5-7 were a little over her head, but we read them together and I stopped to do some reading comprehension to make sure she was following. It was last year, so she was 7, but your child will probably be 9 by the time you got into the later books.
What about the Series of Unfortunate Events?
description
My daughter quit after the second book, but I know a lot of kids that loved them.
She hasn't read the Spiderwick Chronicles, but those are popular
description
Or the Boxcar Children:
description
I just picked up this from the book fair, but I don't know anything about it:
description
Diary of A Wimpy Kid
description
There's classics too like A Wrinkle in Time, Road Dahl (Charlie & The Chocolate Factory, James & The Giant Peach), Judy Blume (the Fudge series), The Phantom Tollbooth, From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, The Indian in the Cupboard, The Swiss Family Robinson

message 5: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann | 177 comments Has anyone read The Shadow Thieves? Sounds like a Percy Jackson mythology-type book, but I hadn't heard of it before today...

Also, I just realized Riordan has a new series releasing in May: The Red Pyramid - I'm curious to see what it's like!!! :)

message 6: by AH (last edited Apr 09, 2010 04:53PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH James Patterson has a series called Maximum Ride. I think it is 5 or 6 books long. It's about these kids who are genetic experiments. They are 98%human and 2%bird. They are able to fly and they each have some other powers. They are constantly being hunted by the scientists and the story is told from the kids'point of view. The chapters are short (2-5 pages), the kids are funny, and there is a lot of action. There is also a manga book available. My 10 year old is really enjoying this series. And..as a side note, he feels a sense of accomplishment when he says that he read 10 chapters in one day.

The Angel Experiment (Maximum Ride, #1) by James Patterson School's Out - Forever (Maximum Ride, #2) by James Patterson Saving the World and Other Extreme Sports (Maximum Ride, #3) by James Patterson The Final Warning (Maximum Ride, #4) by James Patterson Max (Maximum Ride, #5) by James Patterson Maximum Ride (Maximum Ride, The Manga, #1) by James Patterson

Lacey | 12 comments I cant believe Harry Potter isnt on this list. It is very similar! So im putting Harry Potter on here cause im sure some people havent read it. Also Fablehaven!