Start by marking “Maximum Ride, Vol. 1 (Maximum Ride: The Manga, #1)” as Want to Read:
Maximum Ride, Vol. 1 (Maximum Ride: The Manga, #1)

Maximum Ride, Vol. 1

(Maximum Ride: The Manga #1)

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  27,904 ratings  ·  1,247 reviews
Fourteen-year-old Maximum Ride, better known as Max, knows what it’s like to soar above the world. She and all the members of the “flock”—Fang, Iggy, Nudge, Gasman and Angel—are just like ordinary kids—only they have wings and can fly. It may seem like a dream come true to some, but their lives can morph into a living nightmare at any time... like when Angel, the youngest ...more
Paperback, First Edition, 256 pages
Published January 27th 2009 by Yen Press

To ask other readers questions about Maximum Ride, Vol. 1, please sign up.
Laura its also not a manga because you read it like you would read a normal book so its a comic and also yes the plot line is the same the only thing…moreits also not a manga because you read it like you would read a normal book so its a comic and also yes the plot line is the same the only thing different is the way its broken down.
Laura Mehany
(i love maximum ride its so gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood) (less)
Rosabelle I have a school that I know has it. It's at Piedmont Open IB Middle School has it, but you must be student there otherwise I have no heck of an idea.

·  27,904 ratings  ·  1,247 reviews

Lola
Dec 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, action
4.5 stars.

Not very long ago, I read the first novel in the MAXIMUM RIDE series and quite enjoyed the action, characters and story. But, as I was reading it, I kept wondering what it would be like to *see* this series.

So we sadly don’t have a TV show of this, but we do have a manga series (and a badly rated digital movie).

And it’s pretty damn exceptional.

Fortunately, there aren’t huge changes made to the plot at all. It’s still about Angel being kidnapped and Max and her crew going to rescue her,
Rebecca McNutt
I've never been a huge fan of the Maximum Ride series personally for a number of reasons, mainly the far-fetched plot and the cheesy dialogue, but there's something interesting to be said for a group of teenagers with the ability to fly like birds. Very similar to Stephen King's Firestarter with the experiment run amok and the evil shady government research lab, this massive story has a variety of characters with their own individual personalities, and with little info regarding their own identi ...more
Robbie
Feb 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
I have to review this both in relation to the original, and by its own. Tough!

Anyway, the story is still amazing and captivating, so points there.

It's an American original manga that they hired a Korean to write. It is definitely MANGA and not GRAPHIC NOVEL, especially considering it was serialized first in Yen Magazine. However, it does read left to right.

I feel like a little bit of the internal feelings/thinking is lost in this version over the original, which is interesting because many Jap
Anzuai
Feb 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga-sci-fi
Ok, let me first say something: I picked up this book knowing nothing about it, and because I was desperate to read something new. And I absolutely loved it!
This is the manga version of the original book for Young Adults (mainly) by James Patterson, and it's very skillfully transformed into the new format. Excellent art, brilliant dialogue and characters so real you feel they might just jump off the page!
Before I go into a bit more detail, if you're thinking of buying this book then DO IT!! Bu
Lauren Elizabeth
Jan 10, 2016 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: fans of James Patterson
Rating: 1 star.

The only reasons I bought this book was, for one, it was $1 at Goodwill (and in perfect condition), and two, because it had a gorgeous cover. Yes, I have read James Patterson’s book and yes, I very much disliked it. Correction, I hated it. It was stupid and pointless. The character’s choices were senseless. The whole book was terrible and cheap. As for the graphic novel, sure the illustrations were beautiful but it still had the same idiotic characters. (Except for what’s-his-nam
Maryam
Nov 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is and adoption of a Japanese successful manga and It's like reading a comic style manga. The story seems intact and I liked characters. Not decided which one is my favorite though.
Margaryta
Wow. That's all I can say about this book.
I had put it on hod at the library and went over to pick it up along with the second book, since I couldn't get my hands on the chapter book yet, and man am I happy that I picked it up.

This series has everything - a refreshing cast of characters that are funny and adventurous and all those other things that other characters lack, and for once, they are realistic, not cliche like Bella and Edward and the whole crappy cast from Twilight is. The art is grea
SHNARK
Dec 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
i did not get what was going on
Aso
Dec 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
okay, this is interesting.
Hessa
Aug 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
I've wanted to read this for a while now. I was really excited about it and the cover is just gorgeous enough for me to go ahead and buy it. but unfortunately I was slightly disappointed. It was definitely interesting but not enough to hold my attention. while the artwork is great, the story isn’t all that captivating. I gave it an extra star for the artwork, the story is more like a 3 or maybe even 2.5.
I’m probably going to read the second volume (not soon) and then decide if I want to continu
Madison
Sep 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A 4.5 star read!
This is my most favourite graphic novel to this date.
The illustrations were fantastic and beautiful. I was impressed by the artwork and overall enjoyed the story as I've already read the book before.
Briar's Reviews
Five out of five!
I love a good manga adaption. I read this years ago when it came out, but re-checking this manga out was a great way to de-stress from life in general!!
Nick Guerra
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
I wanted to try something new, and this was not the book for me. I didn't really like the comic look of it at all, it didn't let me imagine the story in my head.
Vujeva Gabi, 2nd of her name, queen of flannels.
Wow soooooooo gooooooood max is such a smart and amazing young woman
Lena
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read the book version of this manga about 20 years ago, before James Patterson was a big kahuna. I was still in high school, had never heard of dystopian lit, rarely read sci-fi, and found the idea pretty awesome. I haven't read the manga until now because it's just been on my radar but the length of the series intimidated me--such a big commitment.

I finally picked up the series for my son, who is resistant to reading anything new. When he refused to read them, I started on book 1. I read it i
N.T. Embe
Dec 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of James Patterson's works and people who don't mind very little depth to their reads.
Recommended to N.T. by: Barnes and Noble
Shelves: manga

I remember when I first picked up this manga, my interest was raised by the title. It's an unusual one, to be certain, and once I looked at the cover, I fell in love with the dynamic art style and beautiful coloration of the art. I remember flipping it open in the Barnes and Noble and reading through the first few pages before I realized I was actually reading the book already. It flew by, a light and easy read without too much thought and the most basic of content, especially as far as reading
Donna
Mar 15, 2010 rated it it was ok
This was my first manga book and it will probably be my last (except for the Labyrinth ones, I'm still seriously considering getting those). First, can someone please tell me how 'manga' is pronounced? I keep saying it like the Italian word for 'eat.' I've also pronounced pilates like pee-lats because I'd never heard it pronounced before. Can someone help me out here?

The thing is, I don't know what's normal for manga and what isn't. It's not like reading a comic book/graphic novel. I like comics
Fredrik
May 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Sampai sekarang aku belum pernah baca novel aslinya, hahaha.
Padahal aku udah koleksi nomor 1-4, keluaran GPU yang udah didiskon super murah sekarang.

Nah, ketemu manga yang versi bahasa Inggris ini didiskon murah banget juga di Periplus. ^^
Setelah baca, baru ngeh... oooh Maximum Ride ternyata isinya begini toh... :D

Btw, apakah isi manga ini mencakup seluruh isi novel pertamanya? Sampai endingnya, maksudku. --> masih belum akan sempat baca novelnya dalam waktu dekat (.___.)
Brigid ✩ Cool Ninja Sharpshooter ✩
OMG!!! I <3'D IT! It was so awesome to see Max Ride in manga. The manga definitely does the book justice, plot-wise. The characters weren't exactly how I pictured them -- I mean, wth is up with Fang? He looks like a creepy girl ... But ANYWAY, it was still cool, and I can't wait for the rest of the manga to come out. ^_^
Rachel
Jan 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
this was amazing. i've never read manga before, but i liked this a lot. the only thing was that there was more swear words than in the books. and that was annoying. mi sister wants to read this but i dont think she will cuz of tht. *shakes head sadly*

anyway. i really liked it and can't wait for the second one
Rachael
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars
wow! so I actually happened to find this book in my library, and I literally read it in one day because it was just so freaking incredible! the illustrations in this book are literally just mind blowing! I highly recommend this series for Maximum Ride fans like me! if I could I would give this book 5 million stars!!
Adam
Oct 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. Not because of the pictures but because I found it very well organized. I think that it will help me understand what I am reading when I read the actual book and not the graphic novel. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes James Patterson books.
Michelle. D.
Apr 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Pretty good manga for a white man. LOL

I am so used to maangas being right to left that I got confused some times while reading this book. LOL
The book was entertaining overall and I'd recommend it to anyone who is willing.

I LOVE IGGGGGGYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!
He's just so awesome.
Meagan
Apr 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely beautiful artwork!!! I loved this! Everything about it. The story was really riveting. I read this in one sitting because I just had to know what's going on!
Kellie
May 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really liked this graphic novel/manga! It was a really good adaptation from the book
Madison Lourette
Maximum Ride is a series of books named after it's original namesake written by James Patterson. The manga series is the same as the written books, but in manga form. It follows a flock of human-bird hybrids as they are escaping farther away from the scientists that turned them into what they are. They look perfectly human, but with wings. The main one is Maximum Ride, one of the eldest in the flock. With her are 5 others. The art style is on the realistic-mange side of things. This book is very ...more
Andrea Rios-Reyes
Very good all though the ending was not so good. Could have been better.
Kaylabookworm22 L
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this. I will continue with this series and read the original novel series also.
David
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Max bravery stands up to bad guys
Brandon Fleak
The author of Maximum Ride, Vol. 1 is James Patterson. James Patterson has wrote the book Witch and Wizard, Along Came a Spider, Cross, Cradle and All, and the book kiss the girls. James has written a lot of more books but them are just some of his popular books he sold. James has won many awards for his books. James likes to write books that have short chapters, but a lot of detail, and he wants to make you feel like you are in the book. This book is a graphic novel that is fiction. This book i ...more
read graphic novels online for free?! 22 2156 Mar 21, 2017 12:41PM
you should read this book 1 4 May 04, 2015 12:08PM
Mrs. Young-Maximu...: Predictions 31 16 Oct 20, 2014 07:24AM
Holy Crap They Turned It Into A Manga?! 73 259 Aug 15, 2014 10:26PM
  • Vampire Kisses: Blood Relatives, Vol. 2 (Vampire Kisses: Blood Relatives, #2)
  • +Anima 1 (+Anima, #1)
  • Nightschool: The Weirn Books, Vol. 1
  • Alice in the Country of Hearts, Vol. 03 (Alice in the Country of Hearts, #3)
  • Chibi Vampire, Vol. 02
  • ココにいるよ!(1) (Koko ni Iru Yo!, #1)
  • Fruits Basket, Vol. 16
  • Uglies: Shay's Story (Uglies: Graphic Novel, #1)
  • Ouran High School Host Club, Vol. 13 (Ouran High School Host Club, #13)
  • Vampire Knight, Vol. 3 (Vampire Knight, #3)
  • Cirque Du Freak: Tunnels of Blood, Vol. 3
  • Shugo Chara!, Vol. 2: Friends in Need (Shugo Chara!, #2)
Official US Site
Official UK Site
JIMMY Patterson Books
ReadKiddoRead

James Patterson is the world’s bestselling author and most trusted storyteller. He has created more enduring fictional characters than any other novelist writing today, with his Alex Cross, Michael Bennett, Women’s Murder Club, Private, NYPD Red, Daniel X, Maximum Ride, and Middle School series. He has sold over 380 million books wo

Maximum Ride: The Manga (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Maximum Ride, Vol. 2 (Maximum Ride: The Manga, #2)
  • Maximum Ride, Vol. 3 (Maximum Ride: The Manga, #3)
  • Maximum Ride, Vol. 4 (Maximum Ride: The Manga, #4)
  • Maximum Ride, Vol. 5 (Maximum Ride: The Manga, #5)
  • Maximum Ride, Vol. 6 (Maximum Ride: The Manga, #6)
  • Maximum Ride, Vol. 7 (Maximum Ride: The Manga, #7)
  • Maximum Ride, Vol. 8 (Maximum Ride: The Manga, #8)
  • Maximum Ride, Vol. 9 (Maximum Ride: The Manga, #9)
  • Maximum Ride, Vol. 10 (Maximum Ride: The Manga, #10)
  • Maximum Ride, Vol. 11 (Maximum Ride: The Manga, #11)
“Pain is a message. Messages can be ignored.” 1 likes