Start by marking “Maximum Ride, Vol. 1 (Maximum Ride: The Manga, #1)” as Want to Read:
Maximum Ride, Vol. 1 (Maximum Ride: The Manga, #1)

Maximum Ride, Vol. 1

(Maximum Ride: The Manga #1)

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  29,638 ratings  ·  1,346 reviews
Fourteen-year-old Maximum Ride, better known as Max, knows what its like to soar above the world. She and all the members of the flockFang, Iggy, Nudge, Gasman and Angelare just like ordinary kidsonly they have wings and can fly. It may seem like a dream come true to some, but their lives can morph into a living nightmare at any time... like when Angel, the youngest member ...more
Paperback, First Edition, 256 pages
Published January 27th 2009 by Yen Press

To ask other readers questions about Maximum Ride, Vol. 1, please sign up.
Laura its also not a manga because you read it like you would read a normal book so its a comic and also yes the plot line is the same the only thing…moreits also not a manga because you read it like you would read a normal book so its a comic and also yes the plot line is the same the only thing different is the way its broken down.
Laura Mehany
(i love maximum ride its so gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood) (less)
Rosabelle I have a school that I know has it. It's at Piedmont Open IB Middle School has it, but you must be student there otherwise I have no heck of an idea.

·  29,638 ratings  ·  1,346 reviews

Start your review of Maximum Ride, Vol. 1 (Maximum Ride: The Manga, #1)
Cristina Monica
Dec 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, action
4.5 stars.

Not very long ago, I read the first novel in the MAXIMUM RIDE series and quite enjoyed the action, characters and story. But, as I was reading it, I kept wondering what it would be like to *see* this series.

So we sadly dont have a TV show of this, but we do have a manga series (and a badly rated digital movie).

And its pretty damn exceptional.

Fortunately, there arent huge changes made to the plot at all. Its still about Angel being kidnapped and Max and her crew going to rescue her, but
Robbie
Feb 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
I have to review this both in relation to the original, and by its own. Tough!

Anyway, the story is still amazing and captivating, so points there.

It's an American original manga that they hired a Korean to write. It is definitely MANGA and not GRAPHIC NOVEL, especially considering it was serialized first in Yen Magazine. However, it does read left to right.

I feel like a little bit of the internal feelings/thinking is lost in this version over the original, which is interesting because many
Lauren Elizabeth
Jan 10, 2016 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: fans of James Patterson
Rating: 1 star.

The only reasons I bought this book was, for one, it was $1 at Goodwill (and in perfect condition), and two, because it had a gorgeous cover. Yes, I have read James Pattersons book and yes, I very much disliked it. Correction, I hated it. It was stupid and pointless. The characters choices were senseless. The whole book was terrible and cheap. As for the graphic novel, sure the illustrations were beautiful but it still had the same idiotic characters. (Except for whats-his-name
Maryam
Nov 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is and adoption of a Japanese successful manga and It's like reading a comic style manga. The story seems intact and I liked characters. Not decided which one is my favorite though.
Briar's Reviews
Five out of five!
I love a good manga adaption. I read this years ago when it came out, but re-checking this manga out was a great way to de-stress from life in general!!
Anzuai
Feb 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga-sci-fi
Ok, let me first say something: I picked up this book knowing nothing about it, and because I was desperate to read something new. And I absolutely loved it!
This is the manga version of the original book for Young Adults (mainly) by James Patterson, and it's very skillfully transformed into the new format. Excellent art, brilliant dialogue and characters so real you feel they might just jump off the page!
Before I go into a bit more detail, if you're thinking of buying this book then DO IT!!
Margaryta
Wow. That's all I can say about this book.
I had put it on hod at the library and went over to pick it up along with the second book, since I couldn't get my hands on the chapter book yet, and man am I happy that I picked it up.

This series has everything - a refreshing cast of characters that are funny and adventurous and all those other things that other characters lack, and for once, they are realistic, not cliche like Bella and Edward and the whole crappy cast from Twilight is. The art is
SHNARK
Dec 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
i did not get what was going on
Aso
Dec 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
okay, this is interesting.
《Maram》
Aug 07, 2019 rated it liked it
it was okay but the art was cool
Laura L
This is an interesting adaption. I've read the whole maximum ride series of novels, this is my first time reading one of the graphic novels. The regular novels I think are better, there's more detail to the characters and plot, and they take more than one hour to read.

There were some errors in the panels, I know that lots of graphic novels have errors but, none that I have really noticed enough to bother my reading experience. This book had a couple of errors that bothered me, the main one
Hessa
Aug 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
I've wanted to read this for a while now. I was really excited about it and the cover is just gorgeous enough for me to go ahead and buy it. but unfortunately I was slightly disappointed. It was definitely interesting but not enough to hold my attention. while the artwork is great, the story isnt all that captivating. I gave it an extra star for the artwork, the story is more like a 3 or maybe even 2.5.
Im probably going to read the second volume (not soon) and then decide if I want to continue
Madison
Sep 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A 4.5 star read!
This is my most favourite graphic novel to this date.
The illustrations were fantastic and beautiful. I was impressed by the artwork and overall enjoyed the story as I've already read the book before.
M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
The only reason I could give this 2 stars was because the artwork is pretty nice. The story itself, is pretty meh. The original version of the Maximum Ride story, 'When the Wind Blows' and 'Lake House' is much better written than the Maximum Ride series.
Nick Guerra
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
I wanted to try something new, and this was not the book for me. I didn't really like the comic look of it at all, it didn't let me imagine the story in my head.
Tien
Nov 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just made my son very happy by reading a book he borrowed, on his own initiative, from the school library lol

I read this series (the original books, not the graphic novels) many years ago. I enjoyed the first few books though not the later half. I thought this first instalment of the graphic novel did a very decent job. It was a very quick read (I finished a lot faster than I thought I would) and even as I truly enjoyed it, I did feel that it was missing quite a lot of stuff from the novel.
Lena
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read the book version of this manga about 20 years ago, before James Patterson was a big kahuna. I was still in high school, had never heard of dystopian lit, rarely read sci-fi, and found the idea pretty awesome. I haven't read the manga until now because it's just been on my radar but the length of the series intimidated me--such a big commitment.

I finally picked up the series for my son, who is resistant to reading anything new. When he refused to read them, I started on book 1. I read it
Jay
Jul 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves the Maximum Ride series!!
Shelves: mangas
Okay, so I'm not known for reading Mangas, but this book was really cool! :) I started reading it because I wanted to know how to draw the characters and now I'm reading the second book because it's fun to put a face and actions to the people and words.
Logan Johnson
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As the first volume of the Manga series, I really enjoyed this book and love Maximum Ride. I look forward to finishing this series!
Ruby Rose
Aug 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
2 hours! That is how long it took me to read this one. I found this book YESTERDAY on my mom's bookshelf. I had her look at reviews to see if it was clean YESTERDAY ! And guess what! It is! Obviously because I read it. This book ripped my heart out, and then when I tried to recoup this book just didn't wait for me! I NEED TO GET THE NEXT ONE NOW!

AGE RECOMMENDATION: 11 and up.

PARENT NOTE: This book has some bad images. See all warnings below. If you don't know about this book please read it
N.T. Embe
Dec 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of James Patterson's works and people who don't mind very little depth to their reads.
Recommended to N.T. by: Barnes and Noble

I remember when I first picked up this manga, my interest was raised by the title. It's an unusual one, to be certain, and once I looked at the cover, I fell in love with the dynamic art style and beautiful coloration of the art. I remember flipping it open in the Barnes and Noble and reading through the first few pages before I realized I was actually reading the book already. It flew by, a light and easy read without too much thought and the most basic of content, especially as far as reading
Donna
Mar 15, 2010 rated it it was ok
This was my first manga book and it will probably be my last (except for the Labyrinth ones, I'm still seriously considering getting those). First, can someone please tell me how 'manga' is pronounced? I keep saying it like the Italian word for 'eat.' I've also pronounced pilates like pee-lats because I'd never heard it pronounced before. Can someone help me out here?

The thing is, I don't know what's normal for manga and what isn't. It's not like reading a comic book/graphic novel. I like
Toni
Maximum Ride is one of those rare cases where I can truthfully say I prefer an adaptation to the source material. Patterson's writing in the original series is godawful - terse, basic, and stuffed with cliches and contrived plot-holes to the point of bursting - and conveys details horribly, but the graphic novel eliminated enough of the issues I had with the books to be considered enjoyable by my standards. I love NaRae Lee's art style, too, and I think it complemented the story quite well. (Of ...more
Rachel 🐝🍋
this was amazing. i've never read manga before, but i liked this a lot. the only thing was that there was more swear words than in the books. and that was annoying. mi sister wants to read this but i dont think she will cuz of tht. *shakes head sadly*

anyway. i really liked it and can't wait for the second one
Brigid ✩
OMG!!! I <3'D IT! It was so awesome to see Max Ride in manga. The manga definitely does the book justice, plot-wise. The characters weren't exactly how I pictured them -- I mean, wth is up with Fang? He looks like a creepy girl ... But ANYWAY, it was still cool, and I can't wait for the rest of the manga to come out. ^_^
Rachael
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars
wow! so I actually happened to find this book in my library, and I literally read it in one day because it was just so freaking incredible! the illustrations in this book are literally just mind blowing! I highly recommend this series for Maximum Ride fans like me! if I could I would give this book 5 million stars!!
Michelle. D.
Apr 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Pretty good manga for a white man. LOL

I am so used to maangas being right to left that I got confused some times while reading this book. LOL
The book was entertaining overall and I'd recommend it to anyone who is willing.

I LOVE IGGGGGGYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!
He's just so awesome.
Adam
Oct 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. Not because of the pictures but because I found it very well organized. I think that it will help me understand what I am reading when I read the actual book and not the graphic novel. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes James Patterson books.
Chelsea
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2017
From what I remember of the actual books, this follows it to a T. It also seems a bit more fast paced then the novels if I remember correctly as well. I used to love this series and this graphic novel brings back so many memories.
read graphic novels online for free?! 24 2317 Aug 23, 2020 09:32AM
you should read this book 1 4 May 04, 2015 12:08PM
Mrs. Young-Maximu...: Predictions 31 16 Oct 20, 2014 07:24AM

• Daniel X: The Manga, Vol. 1 (Daniel X: The Manga, #1)
  • Witch & Wizard: The Manga, Vol. 1
  • Witch & Wizard: The Manga, Vol. 2
  • Witch & Wizard: The Manga, Vol. 3
  • Daniel X: The Manga, Vol. 2 (Daniel X: The Manga, #2)
  • The Angel Experiment (Maximum Ride, #1)
  • Fang (Maximum Ride, #6)
  • Daniel X: The Manga, Vol. 3 (Daniel X: The Manga, #3)
  • Saving the World and Other Extreme Sports (Maximum Ride, #3)
  • The Final Warning (Maximum Ride, #4)
  • Nightschool: The Weirn Books, Vol. 2
  • Angel (Maximum Ride, #7)
  • Maximum Ride Author: James Patterson
  • School's Out—Forever (Maximum Ride, #2)
  • Max (Maximum Ride, #5)
  • Maximum Ride Forever (Maximum Ride, #9)
  • Nightschool: The Weirn Books, Vol. 1
  • Nevermore (Maximum Ride, #8)
Discovered by Yen Press Senior Editor JuYoun Lee, NaRae was able to make her U.S. debut working on a series that already had legions of devoted fans. It's a lot to live up to, but NaRae proved to be up to the challenge by delivering artwork that looks remarkably polished for a relative newbie to the world of international manga publishing.

Maximum Ride: The Manga (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Maximum Ride, Vol. 2 (Maximum Ride: The Manga, #2)
  • Maximum Ride, Vol. 3 (Maximum Ride: The Manga, #3)
  • Maximum Ride, Vol. 4 (Maximum Ride: The Manga, #4)
  • Maximum Ride, Vol. 5 (Maximum Ride: The Manga, #5)
  • Maximum Ride, Vol. 6 (Maximum Ride: The Manga, #6)
  • Maximum Ride, Vol. 7 (Maximum Ride: The Manga, #7)
  • Maximum Ride, Vol. 8 (Maximum Ride: The Manga, #8)
  • Maximum Ride, Vol. 9 (Maximum Ride: The Manga, #9)
  • Maximum Ride, Vol. 9 (Maximum Ride: The Manga, #9)
  • Maximum Ride, Vol. 11 (Maximum Ride: The Manga, #11)

News & Interviews