Challenge Overload (PNR and UF Edition) discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Past Challenges Archive > March Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 122 (122 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Lenore (last edited Feb 16, 2010 07:42PM) (new)

Lenore  (lenorenrr) This month features...YOU! March is all about you. Pick 3-7 of the following:
Read Your Name Find an author with your name or initial.
Read Your Birthday Find a book published during your year or month, or find a book with your season in the title. Mine is January so I could read A Deep Kiss of Winter.
Read Your Favorite Color Find a book with a cover that is your favorite color.
Read Your Location Read a book set in your location.
Read An Old Favorite Reread one of your favorite books.
Read Your Favorite Genre Do you like PNR, UF, or Historical best? Maybe you prefer YA. Pick a book from your favorite category.
Your Favorite "Anything on Film" :) Was your favorite movie or show based off of a book or series? Read the book that that show was based on. (True Blood)

message 2: by Lenore (new)

Lenore  (lenorenrr) I have been bad on challenges. Barley even started February. I think I'll put a dent in my Halfway and Year challenges before I do any more monthly ones.

message 3: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (theholyterror) This is a cool challenge! My only suggestion, maybe make the last one TV and Movies? I don't think there's been all that many PNR and UF series made into TV shows.

message 4: by Steph (new)

Steph (angel4492) Shannon wrote: "This is a cool challenge! My only suggestion, maybe make the last one TV and Movies? I don't think there's been all that many PNR and UF series made into TV shows."

True Blood (Sookie), Vampire Diaries & Blood Ties are TV shows. Other than C. Harris' books, I haven't read any of these. I kinda like not knowing what's going to happen or could happen on Vampire Diaries. I don't really watch Blood Ties, but heard the books weren't bad.

Ok, sorry to ramble, but just wanted to share some PNR books to TV that I could think of. :)

message 5: by Shannon (last edited Feb 16, 2010 05:42PM) (new)

Shannon (theholyterror) Well, I know there's a few, but the category is Favorite Show. I love True Blood but I read the books before they were even thinking about making it into a show. Same with Blood Ties, and I haven't even watched the show for that one! I was actually thinking about reading the Vampire Diaries, but the show is far from being one of my favorites. The only other series I could think of that I love that came from books was Dexter, but that's not PNR or UF.

I just think it'd be a tough category with only TV shows included.

message 6: by Steph (new)

Steph (angel4492) Yeah, same here. I love Dexter, but haven't read the books, not that it would fit here, like you said. I'm goin' the easy route in March (prob only 3) and won't be pickin' that one for sure b/c I can't think of any that are favorites, either. :)

message 7: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (theholyterror) Oh, I just thought of one, although the show was canceled - The Dresden Files. I did enjoy that tv show though. I might end up with you though and just skip the category.

message 8: by Steph (last edited Mar 10, 2010 06:07PM) (new)

Steph (angel4492) All Done :) Good books this month.
Read: 3/3

Date Me, Baby, One More Time (Immortally Sexy, Book 1) by Stephanie Rowe Passion Unleashed (Demonica, #3) by Larissa Ione A Rush of Wings (The Maker's Song, #1) by Adrian Phoenix

Read Your Name:
Date Me, Baby, One More Time by Stephanie Rowe 3/10/10 4★

Read Your Favorite Genre:
Passion Unleashed by Larissa Ione (PNR) 3/4/10 5★

Read Your Favorite Color:
A Rush of Wings by Adrian Phoenix (Red) 3/6/10 4★

message 9: by Steph (new)

Steph (angel4492) Oh yeah, that show wasn't bad. Haven't read the books, but my husband really likes them though.

message 10: by Alycia (new)

Alycia I like this challenge too :) I'll add 4 from another group challenge, then tack on a few pnr/uf since that is what the group mostly consists of.

message 11: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (reading_belle) Can we make the tv one include movies too? Pretty Pwease????

message 12: by Lenore (new)

Lenore  (lenorenrr) Shannon wrote: "This is a cool challenge! My only suggestion, maybe make the last one TV and Movies? I don't think there's been all that many PNR and UF series made into TV shows."

Sorry for the misunderstanding. It was intended to be both. True Blood was just the first example that popped into my head. :)

message 13: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (reading_belle) Alright Thank you! :-)

message 14: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (reading_belle) My Name: Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier (Letter J)
Birthday: Blue Bloods by Melissa de la Cruz (Published in May)
Favorite Color: Stargazer by Claudia Gray (Purple!)
Stargazer (Evernight, #2) by Claudia Gray
Location: Glass Houses by Rachel Caine (Takes place in Texas)
Favorite Genre: Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead (Fantasy)
Favorite Movie: Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden (Loved this movie!)

message 15: by Mel W (new)

Mel W (melw) Cool challenge - I'm in! Will post as I read.

message 16: by Gaijinmama (last edited Feb 24, 2010 05:29AM) (new)

Gaijinmama | 12 comments OK, I'll jump out of the Lurkers' Lounge and participate!
I'll attempt to read at least three of the following:

Read Your Name: Nina Kiriki Hoffman

Read Your Favorite Color: (black and purple)
The Woman Warrior by Maxine Hong Kingston

Read Your Location: (Japan) The Fox Woman by Kij Johnson

Read An Old Favorite: either Outlander, The Last Unicorn, or The Book of Three

Read Your Favorite Genre: Memory and Dream (UF) by Charles deLint

Read your favorite movie or show based off of a book or series: Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay

message 17: by Alycia (new)

Alycia Hey Gaijinmama! *waves back*
So glad you are participating in this challenge :)

message 18: by Nairabell (new)

Nairabell | 16 comments I'm in. I'll edit this post and list as I read...though definitely considering buying the Vampire Diaries. :)

message 19: by Shanon (new)

Shanon (boban) I'm in... I'll have to update books when I find them though.

Read Your Name

Read Your Birthday

Read Your Favorite Color
Lamb The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore Strange I know, but I've been diggin' Mustard Yellow as of late.

Read Your Location

Read An Old Favorite
Guilty Pleasures

Read Your Favorite Genre
Dark Fantasy: Fevre Dream

Your Favorite "Anything on Film"

message 20: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (thehopelessbibliophile) Shannon wrote: "I was actually thinking about reading the Vampire Diaries, but the show is far from being one of my favorites."

As a long-time devoted fan of The Vampire Diaries, I am very disappointed with the show. It started off fairly strong, but at this point it's devolved into a town-wide conspiracy theory, and Damon is not nearly as bad-ass as he is in the books. (That part's probably the worst, because Ian Somerholder was born for that part! But with the character as he is now written, Somerholder is just wasting his time.)

Anyway, not to ramble too much, but I hope you don't write off TVD books because of the show. If anything, write off the show because the books are just that much better! (LJ Smith's new trilogy isn't quite as good as the original, but it's still tolerable.) Let me know if you get around to reading them, as I'm interested to know what you think.

message 21: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (theholyterror) Well, honestly The Vampire Diaries was the only series I never finished by LJ Smith. I actually read almost all of her books when I was a teen and probably read The Secret Circle Trilogy more than ten times. And I STILL have a crush on Julian from the Forbidden Game. Her books are great but I never could get into the Vampire Diaries for some reason, I never got passed the first book. I'm planning on finally reading the whole thing though since I've bought the re-released omnibi. The first two are actually on my list for a challenge for February but I don't know if I'll get to them. It's such a short month!

message 22: by Alycia (new)

Alycia I actually like the tv show better than the books. But I like the original vampire diaries series better than the new one so far.

message 23: by Barbara ★ (last edited Mar 31, 2010 05:43PM) (new)

Barbara ★ I'm in.

1. Read Your Name - Other Worlds - Barbara Michaels 3/30
2. Read your Birthday - Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater (January=shiver) 3/7
3. Read Your Favorite Color - Dangerous Temptation by Kathleen Korbel (blue) 3/2
4. Read your location - Valhalla Rising by Clive Cussler (not PNR but New Jersey) 3/9
5. Read an Old Favorite - Angels' Blood by Nalini Singh (in prep for Archangel's Kiss) 3/20
6. Read Your Favorite Genre - The Dead Girls' Dance by Rachel Caine (paranormal) 3/4
7. Read Your Favorite Movie/TV Show - Death du Jour by Kathy Reichs (Bones) 3/8
cheating here not PNR

READ:
The Dead Girls' Dance (The Morganville Vampires, #2) by Rachel Caine Dangerous Temptation (Nocturne) by Kathleen Korbel Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater Death du Jour (Temperance Brennan, #2) by Kathy Reichs Valhalla Rising (Dirk Pitt, #16) by Clive Cussler Angels' Blood (Guild Hunters, #1) by Nalini Singh Other Worlds by Barbara Michaels

COMPLETE 3/30

message 24: by Lenore (new)

Lenore  (lenorenrr) Yay! I'm so glad everyone is excited.

message 26: by Valorie (new)

Valorie Cant wait!! I'm in!! I will post my list later, I'm trying to keep reading so I can complete some of my challenges!!

message 27: by Angie (new)

Angie I live in the Isle of Man (an island in the middle of the Irish Sea) and having A LOT of difficulty finding a book set here. Can I use the British Isles as my location?

message 28: by Lenore (new)

Lenore  (lenorenrr) Angie wrote: "I live in the Isle of Man (an island in the middle of the Irish Sea) and having A LOT of difficulty finding a book set here. Can I use the British Isles as my location?"

You can use any island as your location.

Notice* Your location does not have to be the exact place if you are having trouble finding it. If you live on the beach, any beach. If you live near the lakes, near the lakes. I know it is hard to find exact places for those of you wishing to fill all the categories.

message 29: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Barbara wrote: "I'm in and I'll due 6/7 as I'm not having any luck with a book about New Jersey.

1. Read Your Name - Blood Memories by Barb Hendee
2. Read your Birthday - [book:Deep Kiss of Wint..."

You may want to check out Judi Fennell's romance series. It's set partly in NJ. The first book is IN Over Her Head

message 30: by Angie (new)

Angie Name: Blue Moon - Alyson Noel
Birthday: Warsworn - Elizabeth Vaughan
Colour: Rogue - Rachel Vincent
Old Favourite: TBD
Genre: His Forgotten Forever - Michele Hauf
TV Show: The Awakening - L.J. Smith

Blue Moon (The Immortals, #2) by Alyson Noel Warsworn (Chronicles of the Warlands, #2) by Elizabeth Vaughan Rogue (Shifters, #2) by Rachel Vincent His Forgotten Forever (Silhouette Nocturne) by Michele Hauf The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1) by L.J. Smith

message 31: by Valorie (last edited Feb 19, 2010 03:11PM) (new)

Valorie Ok, here is the list so far....

0/7 Done

Name: Blood Is the New Black: A Novel by Valerie Stivers
Birthday: The Trouble With Magic by Madeline Alt
Fav Color (Purple): Hunting Ground by Patricia Briggs
Location (CA):
Reread Fav: The Dream-Hunter by Sherrilyn Kenyon
Fav Genre (PNR): Gideon by Jacquelyn Frank
Film/TV Fav (True Blood): Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris

Blood Is the New Black A Novel by Valerie Stivers The Trouble With Magic (A Bewitching Mystery, #1) by Madelyn Alt Hunting Ground (Alpha & Omega, #2) by Patricia Briggs The Dream-Hunter (Dark-Hunter, #11 and/or Dream-Hunters #1) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Gideon (Nightwalkers, #2) by Jacquelyn Frank Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1) by Charlaine Harris

message 32: by Mel W (new)

Mel W (melw) Lenore wrote: "Notice* Your location does not have to be the exact place if you are having trouble finding it. If you live on the beach, any beach. If you live near the lakes, near the lakes. I know it is hard to find exact places for those of you wishing to fill all the categories...."

Huge sigh of relief - thank you, Lenore. Even though I'm Australian, I currently live in Dubai in the UAE and only know of a fantasy series for children (Sea Djinn by Linda Davies) set here. Now I can widen my scope a little :)

message 33: by Lenore (new)

Lenore  (lenorenrr) Mel: If you are currently living in Australia try Full Moon Rising by Keri Arthur, or any others from that series. They are very good.

message 34: by LooLoo (new)

LooLoo I may try this one but I won't be doing them all because I have too many unread books waiting to take the time to reread anything and I will probably have a hard time finding a "location" book or a "Film/TV" book in my TBR piles. I can do the other 4 categories though.

How do you know where a book's location is? A lot of time I have no clue until I start reading it.

message 35: by Alycia (new)

Alycia LooLoo wrote: "I may try this one but I won't be doing them all because I have too many unread books waiting to take the time to reread anything and I will probably have a hard time finding a "location" book or a..."

If it is a book in a series, you may already know the location. Check book descriptions as well. I would think if you live in the south, for example, and the book takes place in the south, without specifying where, before you start reading, that would work. These challenges are meant to be fun and easy to do... hope this helps a little.

message 36: by LooLoo (new)

LooLoo Thanks Alycia it does help. I'll just consider The South my location. Surely I can find something that will work for me if I'm that general. My biggest challenge is trying to use my existing TBR books.

message 37: by Steph (new)

Steph (angel4492) LooLoo wrote: "Thanks Alycia it does help. I'll just consider The South my location. Surely I can find something that will work for me if I'm that general. My biggest challenge is trying to use my existing TBR ..."

LooLoo,
I recently read Beautiful Creatures and really liked it. It's set in the South.

message 38: by Alycia (new)

Alycia LooLoo wrote: "Thanks Alycia it does help. I'll just consider The South my location. Surely I can find something that will work for me if I'm that general. My biggest challenge is trying to use my existing TBR ..."

Glad to help :) Good luck!

message 39: by Sandy (new)

Sandy I'm in but I'm going to start with 3 categories since I'm doing several other challenges.

Read Your Name (S): A Local Habitation by Seanan McGuire
Read an Old Favorite: Jinx High by Mercedes Lackey
Read Your Favorite Genre(UF): Children of the Night by Mercedes Lackey

message 40: by Lily (new)

Lily (lilithesque) I am going to jump into this challange:

Pick 3-7 of the following: I picked 4

Name Lily: Lili St. Crow "Flesh Circus".

Birthday Dec. 1963 "Divine Misdemeanors" by LKH

Fav Color Black: "Black Magic Sanction" by Kim Harrison.

Fav. Genre: "Apocalypse Happens" by Lori Handland.
Flesh Circus (Jill Kismet, #4) by Lilith Saintcrow Divine Misdemeanors (Meredith Gentry Series #8) by Laurell K. Hamilton Black Magic Sanction (Rachel Morgan/The Hollows, #8) by Kim Harrison Apocalypse Happens (Phoenix Chronicles, #3) by Lori Handeland

message 41: by Tara (new)

Tara | 35 comments Shannon wrote: "And I STILL have a crush on Julian from the Forbidden Game."

I have been trying to read this series for a while, but it seems that they are out of print, and my library system doesn't have the first one... which is useless.

message 42: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (thehopelessbibliophile) Tara wrote: "Shannon wrote: "And I STILL have a crush on Julian from the Forbidden Game."

I have been trying to read this series for a while, but it seems that they are out of print, and my library system does..."

The Forbidden Game series is being re-released in an omnibus edition on June 8th!
http://www.amazon.com/Forbidden-Game-...

message 43: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (thehopelessbibliophile) Shannon wrote: "Well, honestly The Vampire Diaries was the only series I never finished by LJ Smith. I actually read almost all of her books when I was a teen and probably read The Secret Circle Trilogy more than ..."

Well, you either like it or you don't. (I hope you do like it, though!) Have you read her Night World series? The last book is finally going to be released on April 6th!

message 44: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (theholyterror) Amanda wrote: "Well, you either like it or you don't. (I hope you do like it, though!) Have you read her Night World series? The last book is finally going to be released on April 6th! "

Yup, that was a good one too. The only books by her I haven't read were the two stand alone titles and the whole Vampire Diaries series. I can't believe I've been waiting for the last book in the Night World series for over 12 years now! I honestly don't even remember that series all that well, just that I enjoyed it. I plan to reread everything she's written though at some point.

message 45: by Shannon (last edited Feb 25, 2010 06:57PM) (new)

Shannon (theholyterror) Tara wrote: "Shannon wrote: "And I STILL have a crush on Julian from the Forbidden Game."

I have been trying to read this series for a while, but it seems that they are out of print, and my library system doesn't have the first one... which is useless."

Like Amanda said, it comes out June 8th!

The Hunter; The Chase; The Kill (Forbidden Game, #1-3) by L.J. Smith

I'm also excited that Christopher Pike's Remember Me series is getting rereleased as well.

[image error]

I hope more of his titles come back out of print! L.J. Smith, Christopher Pike, and R.L. Stine were my favorite authors as a teen and it should be fun revisiting them.

message 46: by Alycia (new)

Alycia I loved Christopher Pike and R.L. Stine as a teen!

message 47: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (theholyterror) Alycia wrote: "I loved Christopher Pike and R.L. Stine as a teen!"

: D

I just found a new listing for Thirst 3 on Amazon. Honestly I'm not sure how I feel about it continuing! I've always had a love/hate relationship with the ending but I can't imagine how he'd continue it. I guess we'll find out in October!

Thirst No. 3: The Eternal Dawn

And there was another new book by Pike too:

The Secret of Ka

I'm glad he's started writing again!

message 48: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (thehopelessbibliophile) Shannon wrote: "I hope more of his titles come back out of print! L.J. Smith, Christopher Pike, and R.L. Stine were my favorite authors as a teen and it should be fun revisiting them."

So, so true! They were such great authors. I've already run through a bunch of the re-published works by CP & LJS, mostly so I can then try to convince my younger siblings to try them out. My 17 y/o sister is already hooked on LJS, and my 11 y/o is starting to love RLS and CP.

In other news: On Pike's fan site, he states in an interview that he's thinking of writing more books for The Last Vampire series! Woo hoo!

message 49: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (theholyterror) Amanda wrote: "In other news: On Pike's fan site, he states in an interview that he's thinking of writing more books for The Last Vampire series! Woo hoo! "

Lol, look up one post from yours!

; )

message 50: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (thehopelessbibliophile) Shannon wrote: "Lol, look up one post from yours!"

Haha, I just saw your post. I'm excited! Thirst 3 will probably have a different feel to it, just like The Vampire Diaries: The Return trilogy is different from the original series, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's bad. We'll have to wait and see.

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.