Twilight (Twilight, #1) Twilight discussion


2159 views
Grammatical Errors

Comments (showing 1-50 of 382) (382 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

message 1: by Joshua (new) - added it

Joshua Sebastian I think it should be the law to pass fourth grade English before you write a book. Seriously, she has more grammatical errors then my dog would have writing a book. I don't know if she has an editor, but if she does she should seriously fire that person. It seems like these books are making the teen girls of America dumb.


Amanda Beckwith Joshua wrote: "I think it should be the law to pass fourth grade English before you write a book. Seriously, she has more grammatical errors then my dog would have writing a book. I don't know if she has an edito..."

My dear Joshua, if you are going to criticize someone else's grammar, first be sure you yourself are using proper grammar. It should have read 'more grammatical errors thAn my dog'. I understand that with computers it's probably a typo. However, it still makes you look bad.

As for the book, Hemingway himself used poor grammar in his writing. And from what I've learned, as a student studying English, nothing in fiction is an accident. Writers use it to emphasize a point or to stir our imaginations.


Julia No. Meyer uses bad grammar because she doesn't know better and confusing grammatically structure because she thinks is sounds pretty. Also EVERYONE studies English. Get off your high horse.
http://reasoningwithvampires.tumblr.com/


Antoinette The editors should catch her poor grammar. If they don't there must be a reason for it. BUT,---it does bother me to read books that sound unintelligent.


message 5: by Amina (last edited Mar 31, 2011 01:16PM) (new)

 Amina I agree with Antoinette. Meyer raped the poor thesaurus, neglected the dictionary, and failed to perform the task at hand: a productive plot. Obviously, it was the pleasantries that kept adolescents hooked.

Visit the following link to enjoy a critical examination of "Twilight": [http://www.superheronation.com/2009/0...].


CD Their are to many errors in book like this sort of.

( :large silly grin: )

This was the best bad grammar I could generate this morning. Yikes, there I go again.


Haley Garrison there is alot of gammar errors in this book


Everley Sharp, the Clankinist Okay, I'm not saying I disagree with you, but you should really use proper grammar if you're going to say that Twilight has grammatical errors! I mean, really! It's "there are a lot", not "there is alot."



And do not get mad at me. I can't help being a stickler for grammar, being raised with a professor for a mother.


message 9: by Kristen (last edited Apr 01, 2011 01:45PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristen Everley the Beautiful Chaotic One wrote: "Okay, I'm not saying I disagree with you, but you should really use proper grammar if you're going to say that Twilight has grammatical errors! I mean, really! It's "there are a lot", not "there is..."

lol, I thought the same thing. But if you wanna get really picky, 'alot' isn't a word.
I use it too, but I'm just sayin...


Kristen I think I'm gonna have to re-read the book, b/c I don't remember problems with the grammar - not saying they're not there, I just didn't notice them.
I was focusing on the story....


Meenakshi Everley the Beautiful Chaotic One wrote: "Okay, I'm not saying I disagree with you, but you should really use proper grammar if you're going to say that Twilight has grammatical errors! I mean, really! It's "there are a lot", not "there is..."

and I thought we were discussing Meyer's grammatical skills.
Maybe I was wrong.


Kristen Meenakshi wrote: "and I thought we were discussing Meyer's grammatical skills.
Maybe I was wrong. "


Yes, but when you criticize someone else for bad grammar, you should use correct grammar yourself.
Hypocritical, much?


Charlie Julia wrote: "No. Meyer uses bad grammar because she doesn't know better and confusing grammatically structure because she thinks is sounds pretty. Also EVERYONE studies English. Get off your high horse.
http..."


Not everyone studies creative writing and Eng. lit. -- and that is a much different beast.


Charlie Amanda wrote: "Joshua wrote: "I think it should be the law to pass fourth grade English before you write a book. Seriously, she has more grammatical errors then my dog would have writing a book. I don't know if s..."

AGREED! Context, context, context!


Kristen Jessica wrote: "Instead of arguing over bad grammar, why doesn't somebody give an example from the book?"

Seriously.
Or several, since supposedly they're everywhere.


message 16: by Amina (new)

 Amina There's a link to take you to more than a few examples in my previous comment.


message 17: by Kristen (last edited Apr 03, 2011 03:56PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristen Amina wrote: "There's a link to take you to more than a few examples in my previous comment."

Ok, I didn't read the whole page. But it looks like alot of the same thing. Almost every single thing that person has criticized, is not a "grammatical error", it's something he doesn't like. Literally, one of his comments began with "I don't like this word here because..."
That's not grammar. That's preference.
Granted, I did see a few legitimate issues with commas, which the editor should have caught. But as far as most of the writing goes, it's not "fraught with errors", people just didn't like the way she chose to describe things.
It's her book. Get over it.


message 18: by Amina (last edited Apr 03, 2011 07:34PM) (new)

 Amina Firstly, Kirsten, I've gotten over "Twilight" almost five years now. I am contributing to the discussion; I don't have any desire to provoke anything or anyone.

Secondly, grammar is the structure of language and the ways in which words are formed. I realise that the critic in subject commented on many things because of his/her preference, but he/she also noted grammatical errors. For example, the run-on sentence in 'First Sight', the awkward flash-forward scene, and the incorrect placement of 'but'.

I don't recall stating that Meyer's work was 'cringe-worthy' with grammatical errors. I apologise for possibly angering you, however, this is a discussion: any opinion is valid.


Kristen Amina wrote: "Firstly, Kirsten, I've gotten over "Twilight" almost five years now. I am contributing to the discussion; I don't have any desire to provoke anything or anyone.

Secondly, grammar is the structure..."


lol, I wasn't angry. Sorry, I get a little forceful on here w/o meaning to be...I wasn't saying that to you, specifically.
I was just pointing out that as a whole that website and others like it are mainly just biased opinions.

yes, I agree, there are actual errors, as I said. But not nearly as many as people like to pretend there are.
And they should have been caught by the editor. The writer cannot always do that. They should, but it's difficult.
I mean, I'm not a "writer" as in having any books out, but I write my own little stories, and rereading them for the umpteenth time, I'm still finding errors, because you focus on it so much that you miss things.

But, no, sorry, I didn't mean it in a snippy way.


Hylian Princess Everley the Beautiful Chaotic One wrote: "Okay, I'm not saying I disagree with you, but you should really use proper grammar if you're going to say that Twilight has grammatical errors! I mean, really! It's "there are a lot", not "there is..."


Heh, I think they were using poor grammar on purpose.


Hylian Princess I find grammatical errors in many books I read; I find typos too. We're all human and it just happens. The author won't find all of them and the editor won't find some. Even most of the readers won't notice the errors.


message 22: by Kristen (last edited Apr 03, 2011 09:55PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristen Hylian Princess wrote: "I find grammatical errors in many books I read; I find typos too. We're all human and it just..."

Yep.

Has anyone seen this?

"Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,5...


Hylian Princess Yes! I think you can even do that (most of the time) if only the first letter is in the right position.


Anna (Literary Exploration) Amanda wrote: "Joshua wrote: "I think it should be the law to pass fourth grade English before you write a book. Seriously, she has more grammatical errors then my dog would have writing a book. I don't know if s..."

SCHOOLED.


Anna (Literary Exploration) Yes, I love Twilight. Yes I'm a college student and most of the time my grammar is hideous because I'm not writing an essay with my life. And who cares about Stephenie Meyer's horrible grammar? She has more money than I'll ever have and she's still making it. As far as I'm concerned her bad grammar is the biggest money maker I've seen in a while. Cheers to her for stabbing teens in the heart with horribly written vampire lust and making millions.


Dee-Ann It has been a while since I read it, but from memry it is written in first person, thus I think she has licence to write the novel how she thinks Bella would talk, think, write ... thus it is highly plausible that it would not be grammatically correct.


Meenakshi Kristen wrote: "Meenakshi wrote: "and I thought we were discussing Meyer's grammatical skills.
Maybe I was wrong. "

Yes, but when you criticize someone else for bad grammar, you should use correct grammar yoursel..."


Probably yes.I do get your point but go ahead and read the comments and you'll know why I said that.Instead of discussing Meyer's grammatical skills we ripped off the discussion by discussing the group member's grammatical skills didn't we?
Having said that, I'll have to say that I really don't remember the errors (or I'd rather say sins) Meyer committed in her books.


Kristen Meenakshi wrote: "Probably yes.I do get your point but go ahead and read the comments and you'll know why I said that.Instead of discussing Meyer's grammatical skills we ripped off the discussion by discussing the group member's grammatical skills didn't we?"

lol, I don't really know, I just came in at the end, here, saw that one comment and how it was worded, and thought it was pretty funny considering the topic.

I don't really think it's that big a deal, honestly. It's not a classic or some great literary novel - it was just written, because. For her own enjoyment and she decided to share it.
I do think it's pretty ridiculous how there are so many other books on it, though. Such as: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_nos...

But as someone said, there's errors in most if not all books, because we're all human and are going to miss things. And there's not SO many that it's ridiculous. But still, there are some, which is why we should be blaming the editor more than the author.
The author's sole job is to tell the story. You don't have to have perfect grammar to tell a great story. But you do have to have perfect grammar to be a good editor.


message 29: by ♥Glitter in the Air♥ (last edited Apr 04, 2011 09:56AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

♥Glitter in the Air♥   I don't think there were that many grammatical errors, in fact the biggest problem I had with the books was how it flowed. Honestly, it didn't really have any kind of flow, this book was really choppy. The sentence structure and the wording made it difficult to understand most of the time. The other problem I had with the books, was that I felt it was 'dumbed down' I failed to notice few if any words that might require some intelligence to comprehend. I am not sure about anyone else on this discussion, but I enjoy somewhat of a challenge when I read. In fact I love having to look a word up in the dictionary while reading a book. I think that five or six year olds could read and understand the Twilight Saga without much difficulty, and that was a major reason I didn't like the series, these books were written for teenagers right? I find that idea insulting, does she believe we are that stupid or was she unable to write a better worded story? I agree that we should be blaming the editor for the problems in the books, they are PAID to make sure if doesn't have any errors and is written the best it can be, obviously her editor failed on many levels. Personally I enjoyed the first book and found it the best written out of all four. It had a purpose and a meaning, the last three books just felt like they were drug out to make more money. Half the things that occurred were somewhat dull and I found myself asking Do I care? The whole Jacob and whats her name (Reneeseme?? ) imprinting was in my view quickly thought up just because she needed and ending for Jacob. The movies were terrible, I am sorry but it's true. Overall I cannot really see why these books got so famous though I can guess it was because millions of girls out there needed something to fill the empty void of never finding " true love."

* I am sure I made some grammatical errors in this post, but I did not have an editor reading through it. So I don't care and won't reply if that is your only comment.


message 30: by Amina (new)

 Amina Kristen wrote: "Amina wrote: "Firstly, Kirsten, I've gotten over "Twilight" almost five years now. I am contributing to the discussion; I don't have any desire to provoke anything or anyone.

Secondly, grammar is..."


Well, you know, with any new craze there will most likely be some generalizing.


message 31: by Tom (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tom Bensley Stephen King pretty much nailed it: "Stephenie can't write worth a darn. She's not very good".


Meenakshi Bensley56 wrote: "Stephen King pretty much nailed it: "Stephenie can't write worth a darn. She's not very good"."

That is not fair my friend.No matter how good or how bad she is, at least she is an author.A storyteller ought to be respected.

Kristen wrote: "Meenakshi wrote: "Probably yes.I do get your point but go ahead and read the comments and you'll know why I said that.Instead of discussing Meyer's grammatical skills we ripped off the discussion b..."

hmmm....I totally agree.For one thing, it is certainly not the authors fault if there are too many errors in her work.


message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

You don't deserve respect for anything. Respect is something that you earn.


Meenakshi Paul wrote: "You don't deserve respect for anything. Respect is something that you earn."

and don't you think she earned respect by doing something good?


message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Define "good"?


message 36: by Gerd (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gerd Paul wrote: "You don't deserve respect for anything. Respect is something that you earn."

I would disagree there, everybody deserves to be treated with some respect.


Meenakshi by good,I mean providing a wholesome entertainment and even motivation to a huge set of audience.
I don't understand why she should be stopped back just because of a few grammatical errors here and there.Its her job to tell the story not to worry about errors.


message 38: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 05, 2011 08:39AM) (new)

Gerd,you are confusing common courtesy with respect.


message 39: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 05, 2011 08:41AM) (new)

Meenakshi wrote: "by good,I mean providing a wholesome entertainment and even motivation to a huge set of audience.
I don't understand why she should be stopped back just because of a few grammatical errors here and..."


So, a girl who is emotionally enslaved by a man who puts her at risk at every turn while treating her like a "thing" is wholesome entertainment?


message 40: by Meenakshi (last edited Apr 05, 2011 08:43AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Meenakshi Paul wrote: "Meenakshi wrote: "by good,I mean providing a wholesome entertainment and even motivation to a huge set of audience.
I don't understand why she should be stopped back just because of a few grammatic..."


Indeed it is.What makes you think it isn't?
People find it entertaining and we are nobody to change everyone's opinion.


message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

I read bondage erotica, is wholesome as well?


message 42: by Gerd (last edited Apr 05, 2011 09:28AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gerd Paul wrote: "I read bondage erotica, is wholesome as well?"

Well, why exactly not?
(Though, here I might have to admit that if we were talking about Pauline Réage's novel I would take a direct opposite stance)
It naturally depends on the age of the reader and their ability to abstract what they read.

However, if twilight can be called "wholesome" is probably up to in how far we are willing to call Romance (as a genre) this at all. But the book (and the genre) is providing readers with a means of distraction, allowing for some escapism.


message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

When I think wholesome I either think of bread or things I want my children involved in... not Twilight.


Kristen Paul wrote: "So, a girl who is emotionally enslaved by a man who puts her at risk at every turn while treating her like a "thing" is wholesome entertainment?"

hahaha!
Sorry I found that really funny.

No one forced Bella to become "emotionally enslved", she did it to herself. She had a free will. She knew she was wrong for falling for him but she did it anyway - much like many teenagers do things they know are wrong. She could have walked away at the very beginning.

And he didn't treat her like a thing. He treated her as a fragile, breakable, person he loved. Any "possessive" treatment of her was due to his thinking due to how he grew up.

And yes, it is "wholesome" entertainment. I think it's great when kids are actually interested in stories that aren't centered around sex. And where every other word isn't a four letter word.

If nothing else, it actually made kids want to read. Which in itself is a miracle.


message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

How is the story not centered around sex?


Jesla it is realy an awsome book


message 47: by Amina (new)

 Amina Paul wrote: "How is the story not centered around sex?"

Exactly!


Jamese Jesla wrote: "it is realy an awsome book"

i.k.r!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i lovd that book.


Kristen Paul wrote: "How is the story not centered around sex?"

How, exactly IS it centered around sex. They fall in love, sure, but that's not equated with sex. They don't even discuss sex until almost the end of the third book and then they wait until they're married.


message 50: by Jamese (last edited Apr 05, 2011 01:21PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jamese of course ur supposed to at least that's wat i think.


« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8
back to top

all discussions on this book | post a new topic


Books mentioned in this topic

Twilight (other topics)
The Time Traveler's Wife (other topics)
Grounding for the Metaphysics of Morals/On a Supposed Right to Lie Because of Philanthropic Concerns (other topics)
Common Sense (other topics)
MLA Style Manual and Guide to Scholarly Publishing (other topics)
More...