Bookmarks Subscribers discussion

Q and A > What book did you just start?

Comments (showing 251-300 of 2,922) (2922 new)    post a comment »

message 251: by NancyL (new)

NancyL Luckey Thanks, Sara and Christine. There are so many other books on my "to read" list, I'll just skip those.

message 252: by Patti (new)

Patti | 137 comments I agree Sara. I didn't care for this book at all. I realize that I am in the minority.

message 253: by Becky (new)

message 254: by Miriam (new)

Miriam (chkntza) I just started Dracula by Bram Stoker.

message 255: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (ebburtis) | 1020 comments I just startedThe Secret Scripture by Sebastian Barry. It's set in Ireland and all the blurbs talk about the "lyrical" writing. I can see what they mean, but for some reason last night when I started it, it wasn't grabbing me. Maybe I was just tired, I'll give it more time.

message 256: by Becky (new)

Becky (BeckyMurr) Sara wrote: "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.
I was looking forward to this, since I like thrillers and strong female protagonists.
Really didn't like it.
Not a fan of "locked room mysteries"
Brutality was not what..."

I am so glad I never picked one up....

message 257: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Started Brazzaville Beach by William Boyd Brazzaville Beach as my very first ebook on my brand new surprise Nook from my husband! :) I get them for free from my local library.

message 258: by Kate (new)

Kate (KateKSH) | 136 comments Cutting for Stone Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese

Didn't grab me when I tried it the first time; now I'm mesmerized. Wish I could pay more attention to the setting but the characters are too intriguing. Love it -- not sure where it's going and I appreciate that, too.

message 259: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 216 comments Kate wrote: "Cutting for StoneCutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese

Didn't grab me when I tried it the first time; now I'm mesmerized. Wish I could pay more attention to the setting but the c..."

I was the same way. I just couldn't get into it. I'm thinking of trying again someday just because everyone raves about it so. I must have missed something!

message 261: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (ebburtis) | 1020 comments I've got In the Woods on the TBR pile. Let me know how it is.

message 262: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I really liked In the Woods. Great mystery in a good literary style. I plan on reading her next two books.

message 263: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments Thanks for my copy of In the Woods, Stephanie. I had your note tucked inside the book, and today it fell out and blew down the beach. Fortunately, a friend of mine was quick, and he chased it down for me. :D

message 264: by Sue in FL (new)

Sue in FL Stephanie, are you liking your Nook? Planning to purchase one tmw. and will use primarily for downloading from the library. Taking trip to Europe this fall and I think it will be very handy to have the travel books loaded on it.
sue in fl

message 265: by Kate (new)

Kate (KateKSH) | 136 comments Lisa, both of those are on my TBR!! When will I read all of these books? Is History of Love good?

message 266: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments Kate, I'm not sure how I feel about History of Love yet. It hasn't really grabbed me, but that doesn't necessarily mean it won't be a good story.

message 267: by Judy (new)

Judy | 7 comments Just finished Still Alice, great book, and am now reading The Help, excellent book, very enjoyable reading, almost finished.

message 268: by Judy (new)

Judy | 7 comments http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/s... refurb sony reader for $109, great price.

message 269: by Becky (new)

Becky (BeckyMurr) I am going to start The Passage
The Passage by Justin Cronin, now!

message 270: by Patti (new)

Patti | 137 comments I have ordered The Passage from the library and I can't wait.

message 271: by LynnB (new)

LynnB Laurie wrote: "Let me know what you think -- I bought this book a couple of years ago and just remembered I have it in a stack of "to be read" books :)"

@Laurie - I thoroughly enjoyed the book. The author was trying to capture a slice of life in New England as it used to be and I think she did a great job of it.

message 272: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 216 comments I am about to sit down and start The Girl Who Played with Fire (Millennium, #2) by Stieg Larsson The Girl Who Played with Fire. I just finished the first one and hear the second is even better. I just hope the beginning isn't as BORING!

message 273: by LynnB (new)

LynnB Jaime wrote: "...I just hope the beginning isn't as BORING! "

Nope, it isn't! He reserved that just for the first one. The other two you can get into the story right away.

message 274: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (ebburtis) | 1020 comments Started The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz last night. I gave up on Secret Scripture - I probably should have given it a bit more time, but I wasn't in the mood to!

message 275: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 468 comments I just started The Swan Thieves by Elizabeth KostovaThe Swan Thieves on audio downloaded from the library via Overdrive Media. I also have begunMister Pip. This one is a very short read, but looks good.

message 276: by Laurie (new)

message 277: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (ebburtis) | 1020 comments Cathy wrote: "I also have begunMister Pip. This one is..."

I recently read Pip and really enjoyed it - hope you do too.

message 278: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 468 comments Betsy wrote: "Cathy wrote: "I also have begunMister Pip. This one is..."

I recently read Pip and really enjoyed it - hope you do too."

Betsy...I did enjoy this story, even though some of it was quite shocking and sad. A short, but affecting story that I will definitely drag into work to share with my "reader" co-workers. I loved how a great literature classic was interwoven into such a unique tale.

message 279: by Becky (new)

Becky (BeckyMurr) Started Diamond Ruby: A Novel
Diamond Ruby A Novel by Joseph Wallace, this morning

message 281: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments Lynn, it's on my TBR, so I'll be curious to hear your thoughts once you finish.

message 282: by LynnB (last edited Jul 17, 2010 07:46PM) (new)

LynnB Lisa wrote: "Lynn, it's on my TBR, so I'll be curious to hear your thoughts once you finish."

I just posted a note on the other thread and my review on my shelf, but basically I thought it was an interesting book -- though I gave it 3 stars, mostly (I think) because I really didn't like the majority of the major characters and I don't think it's the kind of book that will stick in my mind...and too much on bodily functions.

message 283: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments @Lynn
I won't be in any rush to read it.

message 284: by Laurie (new)

Laurie (LaurieLH) | 93 comments I've just started Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood; I've not read anything by her before and am struggling a bit with this novel. I appreciate the prose, but the subject matter and character is so intense -- maybe to be read in small doses, alternating with a lighter work.

message 285: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Jaime wrote: "I am about to sit down and start The Girl Who Played with Fire (Millennium, #2) by Stieg Larsson The Girl Who Played with Fire. I just finished the first one and hear the second is even better. I..."

It's much better! I started it at B&N last week on my nook.

message 286: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa | 17 comments I am a few chapters into Death of a Red Heroine which is the first book I've ever read that I discovered solely through Bookmarks (the China special they did last issue.)

message 287: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 468 comments I just started something I pulled off the shelf at the library...looks interesting.

Once Upon a Day A Novel by Lisa Tucker

Once Upon a Day: A Novel by Lisa Tucker

message 288: by Laurie (new)

Laurie (LaurieLH) | 93 comments I just started reading Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson Major Pettigrew's Last Stand -- so far, love the dry wit of the major.

message 289: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments Laurie wrote: "I just started reading Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson Major Pettigrew's Last Stand -- so far, love the dry wit of the major."

I hope you enjoy this as much as I did! :)

message 290: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (ebburtis) | 1020 comments Tonight I'm starting Cost: A Novel Cost A Novel by Roxana Robinson. I've had this one on my TBR list for ages, so I'm excited to start it.

message 291: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Betsy wrote: "Tonight I'm starting Cost: A NovelCost A Novel by Roxana Robinson. I've had this one on my TBR list for ages, so I'm excited to start it."

Me too! Can't wait to hear about it!

message 292: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments I'm reading The Postmistress by Sarah Blake on my Nook.

I'm also reading Every Last One by Anna Quindlen as my one hour a day free read on the Nook at B&N. Unfortunately, I've been sick for several days and am forced to patiently wait to get back in for my next session.

message 293: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Lisa wrote: "I'm reading The Postmistress by Sarah Blake on my Nook.

I'm also reading Every Last One by Anna Quindlen as my one hour a day free read on the Nook at B&N. Unfortunately, I've been sick f..."

I will want to know how both are! Send me a recommendation if you really like them! I think they are on my TBR, but you know me...if you tell me to read it, I will...:)

message 294: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I started The Girl Who Played with Fire (Millennium, #2) by Stieg Larsson and will start The Lost Summer of Louisa May Alcott by Kelly O. McNees tonight when I go to bed.

message 295: by Karen (new)

Karen | 12 comments I also just started to read The Girl Who Played with Fire (Millennium, #2) by Stieg Larsson yesterday. Read 80 pages and very good so far!

message 296: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I ended up starting Secrets of Eden A Novel by Chris Bohjalian instead of The Lost Summer of Louisa May Alcott by Kelly O. McNees.

message 297: by Kate (new)

Kate (KateKSH) | 136 comments Having finished ] Saving Ceecee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman CeeCee Honeycutt, which was delightful, I started

The Girl Who Played with Fire The Girl Who Played with Fire (Millennium, #2) by Stieg Larsson

I am soooo glad that I muscled through Dragon Tattoo so that I could enjoy this whole series. This second installation is wonderful!

message 298: by Patti (new)

Patti | 137 comments Maybe I will try the second book in the Dragon Tattoo series. I didn't like the first one (I know, I know), but I keep hearing how great 2 and 3 are, so maybe....

message 299: by Patti (new)

Patti | 137 comments Just started Faithful Place by Tana French last night. Good author.

message 300: by LynnB (new)

LynnB Patti wrote: "Just started Faithful Place by Tana French last night. Good author."

I just checked - I'm #1 now on the waiting list at the library, so hopefully I'll be starting it soon, too.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Special Topics in Calamity Physics (other topics)
The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate (other topics)
Wolf Hall (other topics)
People of the Book (other topics)
The City of Dreaming Books (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Sapphire (other topics)
Walter Moers (other topics)
Richard Adams (other topics)
Chris Cleave (other topics)
Mahbod Seraji (other topics)
More...