Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Looking for something like the Fever series

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Salome (new)

Salome | 35 comments I just finished the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning and am now suffering from withdrawal. What should I read next? I downloaded the first Kate Daniels book but I just couldn't get into it. I might give it another try but am looking for other suggestions in the meantime. What should I read next?

message 2: by Cindi (new)

Cindi (ourtrumpcard) Yeah, me too. I've tried to figure out what exactly does it for me: is it the time travel? the Highlanders? Or is it just her writing?

If its time travel, I've tried Melissa Mayhue, with varying results, and of course there is Outlander (Outlander, #1) by Diana Gabaldon , and you may not know Kim Harrison has a one-off that's excellent Night's Darkest Embrace by Jeaniene Frost .

If its just that paranormal intensity, I loved Chloe Neill's Chicagoland Vampires. Gah, there are others that are great but no one can touch KMM in the Fever-style books. Let me know what you hear!

message 3: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited May 03, 2015 05:33AM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) Hah! Nothing is like the fever series.

If it's the grittiness you like, possibly:
Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #1) by Stacia Kane , Spider's Bite (Elemental Assassin, #1) by Jennifer Estep or Touch the Dark (Cassandra Palmer, #1) by Karen Chance (Touch the Dark adds some time travel).

If it's the heat, maybe:
Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1) by Jacqueline Carey

If it's the heroine up against things not well understood with more powerful forces she is unsure if going to be harmful or beneficial for book after book maybe:
Poison Study (Study, #1) by Maria V. Snyder or Cast in Shadow (Chronicles of Elantra, #1) by Michelle Sagara (neither of which have the heat/lust and Cast in Shadows starts a series that frankly is getting l-o-n-g -- .although does have some other dimensional-wandering elements also reminiscent of Fever.)

Fictfact recommends these series (not all of which I agree are "like" Fever):
Fictfact screenshot

message 4: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited May 03, 2015 05:32AM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) Cindi wrote: "...Kim Harrison has a one off that's..."

Wow! Thanks, I always ignored Night's Darkest Embrace because I thought Jeannine Frost wrote it. (I'm an über Harrison fan and even read her YA series and the fantasy books she wrote as Dawn Cook but I missed that one.)

I agree about the Chicagoland Vampire books; some elements very reminiscent of Fever.

Not exactly like Fever other than potentially creepy dude from other race involved, but I also liked Patricia Briggs's standalone:
The Hob's Bargain by Patricia Briggs . (no where near as tense as Fever and little heat but good mix of creepy and good guy)

message 5: by Katie (new)

Katie (dreamangelmistaolcom) | 43 comments Salome wrote: "I just finished the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning and am now suffering from withdrawal. What should I read next? I downloaded the first Kate Daniels book but I just couldn't get into it. I mi..."
omg i looooove the fever series!!!! i have not found annnnything as fantastic as the fever series, however, i did find a series that i was almost equally addicted to...The Black Ink Chronicles by Elle Jasper...now i have to warn you, it is mostly about vampires, but there is lots of other 'beings' also and it has a strong kick ass female heroine like in fever. Oh and some super HOT love scenes too

message 6: by Shelby (new)

Shelby | 73 comments It took me quite a few chapters to get into the Kate Daniel series but I love it now. It's a great series!

My Wolf's Bane (Shapes of Autumn, #1) by Veronica Blade Something Witchy This Way Comes (Something Witchy, #1) by Veronica Blade Tall, Dark & Lonely (Pyte/Sentinel, #1) by R.L. Mathewson White Hot Kiss (The Dark Elements, #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout Wicked (A Wicked Saga, #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout Bound (The Crystor, #1) by C.K. Bryant Captured (The Captive, #1) by Erica Stevens Prince of Wolves (The Grey Wolves, #1) by Quinn Loftis Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1) by Susan Ee

message 7: by Kristina (new)

Kristina (kristinabarrons-kyle) | 7 comments I agree. KMM is definitely up there with the greats when it comes to her world building & consuming storylines. Here are some authors/books I've enjoyed with that similar consuming feeling: Amelia Hutchins Fae Chronicles series has a Mac/Barron-esque type H/h (although no one does Alpha male quite like our Barrons ;) Kalayna Price Alex Craft series is pretty good & Kristen Ashley's The Golden Dynasty is a must that has an unique & interesting world with an intense H/h & awesome storyline (think Drago & Daenerys from GOT had a spinoff).

Happy Reading!

message 8: by Dominique (new)

Dominique | 3 comments Salome wrote: "I just finished the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning and am now suffering from withdrawal. What should I read next? I downloaded the first Kate Daniels book but I just couldn't get into it. I mig..."

you may want to try Jeaniene Frost's "Night huntress" eries. They are funny, action filled, contain romance, and have great plots. I have also read all of Richelle Meads books. you may want to try her "Stormborn" series and "Succubus Georgina Kincaid" series.

message 9: by Absynthe (last edited Nov 18, 2016 10:18PM) (new)

Absynthe | 11 comments Nalini Singh's 'Guild Hunter' series: https://www.goodreads.com/series/4794...

Laurell K. Hamilton's 'Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter' series: https://www.goodreads.com/series/4908...
As well as her 'Merry Gentry' series: https://www.goodreads.com/series/4041...

Kelley Armstrong's 'Women of the Otherworld' series: https://www.goodreads.com/series/4046...
As well as her 'Otherworld Stories' (filler stories for the above) series: https://www.goodreads.com/series/5485...

All have strong female protagonists, sexy Alpha and beta males, and smokin' hot sex. A good mix of different types of "beings" as well.

message 10: by JoAnne (new)

JoAnne Faith Hunter's Jane Yellowrock series Skinwalker (Jane Yellowrock, #1) by Faith Hunter
Devon Monk Allie Beckstrom series Magic to the Bone (Allie Beckstrom, #1) by Devon Monk
Kat Richardson Harper Blaine series Greywalker (Greywalker, #1) by Kat Richardson

message 11: by Umbreon (new)

Umbreon | 1 comments I know what you mean! After the Fever series I took a break from reading because nothing else was good. I love the Kate Daniels series. It starts slow but once you are past the first few chapters it's awesome. I couldn't get into it the first time I picked it up. I tried again because of all the reviews and because I like heroine type books and loved it. I will also say that the books get a lot better as you progress. I urge you to give it another try!

message 12: by Chloe (new)

Chloe Adler | 2 comments Hi I'm new here but am so happy this topic was posted. The Fever Series is my #1 favorite series and I too have been having serious withdrawals!! I wish I could add another series but I haven't found one yet either - still it's nice to find like minded readers :) TY

message 13: by kankan (new)

kankan | 5 comments Kristina wrote: "I agree. KMM is definitely up there with the greats when it comes to her world building & consuming storylines. Here are some authors/books I've enjoyed with that similar consuming feeling: [author..."

If you love Fever series definitely try Fae Chronicles and the two spinoff series by Amelia Hutchins.

message 14: by Kate (new)

Kate | 43 comments Just read this and really enjoyed it. The H reminded me of Barron's from Fever a bit. Good start to a series A Step into the Dark Ollie Wit Series by Donna Augustine