Start by marking “Greywalker (Greywalker, #1)” as Want to Read:
Greywalker (Greywalker, #1)

Greywalker

(Greywalker #1)

3.45  ·  Rating details ·  13,018 ratings  ·  1,136 reviews
Harper Blaine was your average small-time P.I. until a two-bit perp's savage assault left her dead for two minutes. When she comes to in the hospital, she sees things that can only be described as weird-shapes emerging from a foggy grey mist, snarling teeth, creatures roaring.

But Harper's not crazy. Her "death" has made her a Greywalker- able to move between the human worl
Published October 3rd 2006 by Ace Books

To ask other readers questions about Greywalker, please sign up.
Jasmin I like to wander through the library and just glance at the covers, if it has the "Horror" symbol on the spine, I read the back and see if it's intere…moreI like to wander through the library and just glance at the covers, if it has the "Horror" symbol on the spine, I read the back and see if it's interesting. Mostly if it's got a female protagonist. Brought it home, the rest is history.(less)

·  13,018 ratings  ·  1,136 reviews

Start your review of Greywalker (Greywalker, #1)
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
2.5 stars rounded up to three because it's Seattle and you know it's Seattle even though it's only a small area of Seattle. I can say Seattle a few more times if you'd like. :)

This series has a lot of potential. I think this is a good start but it's still rough. Something about the book was off and I can't tell you exactly what. For one thing, even though this was published in 2006, it felt more like it was written in 1995, specifically around technology. (She's a PI but uses a pager and doesn't
Rebecca
Jan 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: modern-earth, fantasy
I picked this up after reading the short story by Kat Richardson in Mean Streets, which also featured Ms. Blaine. First off, it's nice to see a female paranormal detective character whose actual cases seem to have more weight than her love life. Normally there seems to be a strict gender divide in these things -- men like Harry Dresden and John Taylor occasionally have girlfriends and occasionally have horrible luck with women*, but generally that's not a major focus of the books' attention. Fem ...more
J.L.   Sutton
Feb 16, 2016 rated it liked it
After a 'near' death experience, private investigator, Harper Blaine, gains the ability to see and travel in the 'grey,' that intermediate zone between our reality and the reality of the supernatural. I liked the premise; however, not everything worked as well it could or should have. Still, the book had a nice pace and was fun.
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
It's very hard to write a helpful review of Graywalker. It simply didn’t leave any kind of impression on me – good or bad. The first half was far more interesting than the second. It had the tone of a hardboiled detective novel and it was quite refreshing, so I was more than a little disappointed when it all went straight to hell in the other half.
Harper Blaine is a good, strong character, but some of her choices weren’t quite clear to me, and the love story (well, lust story, to be precise) wa
Clouds

Following the resounding success of my Locus Quest, I faced a dilemma: which reading list to follow it up with? Variety is the spice of life, so I’ve decided to diversify and pursue six different lists simultaneously. This book falls into my FINISHING THE SERIES! list.

I loves me a good series! But I'm terrible for starting a new series before finishing my last - so this reading list is all about trying to close out those series I've got on the go.

2.5 rounded up to 3 because my wife and my mo
Anne
May 21, 2009 rated it liked it
Harper Blaine is a private investigator. In the first few pages she is brutally attacked by a man she was tracking down for a client. After she leaves the hospital, Harper begins to see strange shapes and disorienting mists all around her. Thinking she is experiencing the lingering effects of head trauma she returns to the hospital. Once there, her doctor informs her that she actually died for two minutes as a result of her attack. He thinks the new sensations she is now having are not medical a ...more
Felicia
Nov 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a Vaginal Fantasy pick from Bonnie! I enjoyed the book, although I hear the subsequent installments really exceed the quality of 1, so I'm excited to go deeper into the series. Nothing 100% innovative here, but had a nice tone that isn't quite as twee or cliched as other books in the genre. I enjoy the main character because she was believable in an interesting way. For VF readers, this one to explore! (No racy stuff tho, heads up!)
Denisa
3.5
Really nice start of a series!

So, I'm writing this review after having read the next 5 books as well and all I can say is that it's worth starting this one.

So maybe the characters don't seem that interesting right now, but they will get better as the series goes on.

This chick made me really want a pet ferret! I had no idea they were so popular in the US. I wonder if it would get along with my cats... Hmm, but that's a topic for another day.

Yes, the book. The series, actually. It keeps gettin
Athena
Feb 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of detective fiction, paranormal, female leads
2.5 stars, rounded up because the series has potential (I hope)
- - - - - - - - -
I enjoyed the first half of Greywalker more than the second: I think the author is getting her head around the paranormal world (The Grey) she creates through the first half and hasn't quite gotten a handle on getting the rest of us into this world. I have high hopes for the next book but still think this is a worthy read.

The opening scene is one of the truest descriptions of a violent encounter that I've read in
Taters
Nov 22, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: magical-realism
Supernatural fiction is on the rise. Unfortunately in literature, a rising tide lifts all boats, even those of less than stellar construction.

Greywalker is an ok premise with faulty execution. The pacing is off, the story jumps around like a 9 year old on a sugar high. And it's set in Seattle - which would ordinarily be great, except that even as someone who lives in Seattle, I can tell you that this is one vast injoke of locations and happenings that people outside Seattle won't enjoy.

Characte
Nicole
Jul 28, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Jim Butcher and/or Caitlin Kittredge
Overall, a pretty good book. Richardson definitely knows her way around a well-crafted sentence and a well-imagined world. But definitely, progressively, weird and dark.
I like Harper for the most part; she's complex and not a cliche. Aspects of the story reminded me of the Harry Dresden novels, although Harper is not nearly the smart-alec Harry is. A little more humour would've been nice. Harper is the first character I've ever seen with a pet ferret, and that added a few moments of much-needed
Yzabel Ginsberg
2.5 stars. Not uninteresting, and I quite liked the concept of the Grey, but overall I found the plot muddled, and Hqrper too passive at times, in stark contrast with the "hardboiled detective" feeling I got from the beginning of the story.
Gary
In the interest of full disclosure I have to start with a note: I'm so sick of vampires that I'm considering going full Van Helsing on the next person who even recommends a freakin' vamp story to me. Old style Van Helsing too; not pretty, Hugh Jackson in a floppy hat Van Helsing. I'm talking head chopping, mouth stuffed with garlic, burned up at sunrise. I need another vampire book in my life like I need to test drive a late model AMC Gremlin. At this point, anything I read that is going to have ...more
Tiffany
Sep 23, 2012 rated it did not like it
I'm sad to say that I lemmed Greywalker at 84%. It's the first time in many, many, many years that I couldn't face finishing a book. I was actually really drawn in at the beginning and found the concept of the Grey really intriguing, but the plot went all sorts of downhill from there.

The characters are all really flat, and Harper was so one-dimensional I found her scenes painfully awkward to read. You know nothing about her backstory really, and her whole persona simple revolves around her bein
Cathy
Jan 08, 2009 rated it it was ok
I'm 63% into the book (ebook, sorry, no page numbers) and I don't hate it, but I don't really like it either. I like Harper, and her ferret, and some of the supporting characters, but there is a lot of weird, disjointed stuff going on and the pacing and transitions are jarring and odd. She resists and resists getting pulling into the paranormal, and boy is it a slow first 1/3 of the boom, but suddenly she's deliberately stirring up trouble for the most dangerous guy in town and associating with ...more
Cyndi
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’m late in reading this, but I liked it. I like paranormal stories, (of course there are very few genres I don’t like) so I was predestined to like this book.
In the beginning our heroine dies, for a few minutes. When she wakes up in the hospital her world has changed. Now she can see into the netherworld. She can interact with ghosts and supernatural beings. Although this seems like it would be helpful in her PI business, she seems to have a tough time trying to deal with the grey world.
So,
Angie
Jul 10, 2008 rated it liked it
Once again, the cover struck me first. She looked interesting to me. Like she knew things. And I liked the slanted city she leaned up against, looking like a character in its own right. I love it when a particularly city or a particular building is a main character in a story. The whole thing is that much richer for it. The good news is I wasn't wrong. Harper Blaine does, in fact, know things. Things she'd rather not know, as it turns out, but know things she does. And the Seattle of Greywalker ...more
Bry
Apr 12, 2010 rated it it was ok
This book was just one big bag of meh.

Harper Blaine is a private investigator who generally deals with pretty boring cases that involves a lot of paperwork and foot work. Suddenly though one of her normal cases goes wonky and she is killed - but only for 2 minutes. When she is brought back to life she can see things like ghosts, weird creatures, and a parallel type world called the Grey.

Then she is hired to find a missing boy who is in fact hiding out, not missing - not her normal case. Simult
Schnaucl
I really enjoyed this book. I liked the protagonist. I wasn't really sure of her age. Usually in urban fantasy books like this one the protagonist is early to mid twenties but I think Harper may have been more in her thirties. That, or she doesn't have a problem with dating people much older than she is who she believes to have a teenage son.

I really liked all of the second tier characters. They were fun, interesting, and seemed to have some depth.

I do have a few concerns though. First, I'm a l
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Harper sees the other world, the world of ghosts. She died once and got that ability. Now that ability is there to open a new world for her: world of witches, magic and vampires.
Jason
Apr 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
4 Stars

Greywalker by Kat Richardson is a fun and interesting start to another cool urban fantasy series. As I have said so many times, I can't get enough adult urban fantasy these days. Richardson throws in a atypical heroine as our protagonist and it really works. There isn't really anything new in Greywalker but there is plenty of awesome things to enjoy.

Great characters.

Greater setting.

A familiar feel.

The writing is good and the pacing is fast.

I really enjoyed it. So much so that I wanted to
Shelley
Aug 02, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Synopsis: After being dead for two minutes and then revived as a result of a clobbering by an angry perp, Harper Blaine discovers side effects that complicate her Seattle life in unexpected ways. She now sees ghosts and attracts otherworldly business as she pops in and out of a shadowy overlapping world. Harper seeks the assistance of Ben Danziger, self-proclaimed "ghost guy" and linguistics professor, and his wife, Mara, a witty Irish witch. They educate Harper on the Grey, "a place between our ...more
Natalie
Aug 28, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: urban-fantasy, ebooks
Harper Blaine is a PI who in the first few pages of this book gets attacked and badly beaten. She dies for two minutes and when she comes back she can walk through The Grey. The origin of all the things that go bump in the night.

There are interesting elements in the worldbuilding but because the protagonist spends the first 80% of the book alternating between flailing around in The Grey or simply denying everything as hard as she possibly can it's hard to see the mist for the fog. This is not he
Andrew
Oct 03, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok random book choice again. Well I have mixed opinions on this one and here is the reason why. Ok its not the first "I see dead people" book and certainly will not be the last. Ok it makes are bit more of a refined approached to it with (and no pun intended) fleshing the idea out more. There is more to the "Grey" than just ghosts - but that is as far as I will go without giving things away. However the book feels like the main character Harper the Greywalker spends more time refusing her gift t ...more
Yodamom
Oct 23, 2010 rated it liked it
3.5
This is the first novel in this series. it is a bit rough at times, I got lost in some of the whirlwind details. I found myself lost on more than one occasion, the Grey was written so squirrelly. Everything was, stinky, squishy, swirly, I don't know.. What ?
The mystery keep my interested, I needed to know. she is hired by a vampire to help him get back into his favors. She is also hired to kill the same vampire by another vampire, and around it goes. She is brought into a very nasty case with
Kristen
May 07, 2012 rated it did not like it
Honestly the worst book I have read in a long time. I go into horrific detail in my status updates, as it was all I could do to remain sane, writing those out after ever chapter or particularly ridiculous section, so I am not going to force myself through everything again.

I did really, truly, try to get through this. If only for the entertainment value of the reviews and me getting angry and stomping through the house trying to find people to read parts to, I wanted to finish it. But I couldn't,
Cara
When Harper Blaine dies for two minutes something happens. She doesn't remember dying, and in fact, had to be told that she did by a doctor. She sees things out of the corners of her eyes like a mist, or fog. She finds finds out that what she's seeing is the Grey. The Grey is the energy between death and moving on. Other things live there too, like ghosts and vampires and other things Harper never believed in. While working a case, (she's a PI) Harper ends up tangling with vampires, and if she d ...more
Meredith
Sep 16, 2009 rated it it was ok
Whenever I travel, I like to pick up books I don't have to put much emotional effort into to enjoy - for some reason, this usually means I find myself reading books about hardboiled female PIs whose investigations bring them smack-dab into a paranormal mess of some kind or another, and that is exactly what this book is. It's refreshing because the main character is a bad-ass not because of any particular special powers she might possess but because she's tenacious and experienced at the PI game, ...more
Maggie K
Apr 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Yeah, so I did read this, and I just finished it yesterday, but I had to sit and think a little bit to remember what it was about....

It isnt a bad book. The premise is interesting, the plot moves in a mistly forward direction, but it just didnt execute very well. The sentences are all properly honed and all, I just wanted to skip most of them.
It might just be because the protaganist was so confused about her situation that it really was hard to make sense of her motivations. She would plan out
Beverly
Sep 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Very enjoyable. Strong writing. She has harsh situations as well as humor along with a bit of romance hovering about the edges. I was very engaged the entire time I read it and immediately started the second book. I like the way she uses light to accentuate the dark and vice versa. I recommend this book highly.

• Urban Shaman  (Walker Papers, #1)
  • Mean Streets
  • Night Shift (Jill Kismet, #1)
  • Working for the Devil (Dante Valentine, #1)
  • Something from the Nightside (Nightside, #1)
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
  • The Iron Hunt (Hunter Kiss, #1)
  • Kitty and the Midnight Hour (Kitty Norville #1)
  • Cursed Moon (Prospero's War, #2)
  • The Red Plague Affair (Bannon & Clare, #2)
  • Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #1)
  • Deadly Spells (Prospero's War, #3)
  • Wickedly Dangerous (Baba Yaga, #1)
  • Dark Currents (Agent of Hel, #1)
  • The Unkindest Tide (October Daye, #13)
  • Ecstasy (Shadowdwellers, #1)
  • Ghost of a Chance (Ghost Finders, #1)
  • Skinwalker (Jane Yellowrock, #1)
Bestselling author of the Greywalker paranormal detective novels. Former theater brat, singer, dancer, gemology and jewelry course-writer, liveaboard boater, and editor. Currently lives in the wilds of far-western Washington with her husband and dogs.

Greywalker (9 books)
  • Poltergeist (Greywalker, #2)
  • Underground (Greywalker, #3)
  • Vanished (Greywalker, #4)
  • Labyrinth (Greywalker, #5)
  • Downpour (Greywalker, #6)
  • Seawitch (Greywalker, #7)
  • Possession (Greywalker, #8)
  • Revenant (Greywalker, #9)