Start by marking “Skinwalker (Jane Yellowrock, #1)” as Want to Read:
Skinwalker (Jane Yellowrock, #1)

Skinwalker

(Jane Yellowrock #1)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  31,962 ratings  ·  2,001 reviews
First in a brand new series from the author of the Rogue Mage novels

Jane Yellowrock is the last of her kind—a skinwalker of Cherokee descent who can turn into any creature she desires and hunts vampires for a living. But now she’s been hired by Katherine Fontaneau, one of the oldest vampires in New Orleans and the madam of Katies’s Ladies, to hunt a powerful rogue vampire
Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Published July 7th 2009 by Ace Books (first published May 22nd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Skinwalker, please sign up.
Patytrico No it is not and, personally, found the first book refreshing. I'm about half of the 2nd one and liked so far. Also have the first of the spin-off (Bl…moreNo it is not and, personally, found the first book refreshing. I'm about half of the 2nd one and liked so far. Also have the first of the spin-off (Blood of the Earth) in my reading list, I hope the quality would continue stable. But I must confess that I like the first book in the A. Blake and Mercy series but I quickly lost interest because of the repetitive sex acrobatics and blind stupidity in same ocasions of the heroines. I like steamy sex scenes but also like a good story. Blake and Thompson let the plot fall in favor of sex... and it sucks :)(less)
Diana Not much swearing. The main character does not approve of swearing. There is some sex but not too much. Lots of sexual tension though.

·  31,962 ratings  ·  2,001 reviews

Start your review of Skinwalker (Jane Yellowrock, #1)
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
3/25/18 - ON SALE for $1.99:

3/11/17 - rerereread b/c Steven is PERSISTENT. Minus 0.5 stars from original rating, b/c I bloody hate Rick, the slime.

Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

Urban Fantasy is a pretty diverse genre. There are all kinds of twists on various folklores and mythologies, as well as multitudes of different takes on a myriad of supernatural creatures. We all have our favorites (and not-so-favorites).

For me, if it has something to do with the Fae or Nati
carol.
Aug 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: UF fans who like action
Let me get one thing straight: I don't read romance novels. If romance is included within the scope of main character experience, I'll still read it. But if the main story is magickal, wonderful, soulmate kind of l-o-v-e and there is pining, angst, and ridiculous pretend fights when really they l-o-v-e each other but can't admit it, that's a big fat "pass" for me. "Skinwalker" won't appeal to those who like a little romance with their paranormal. Move along now.

Jane is an interesting, unusual e
Anne
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it

I wasn't sure what to expect from Skinwalker when I picked it up, but I knew Jane had a pretty big following among my friends and I was hoping that this might become my new go-to urban fantasy series.
And I'm thinking it might!

Alright. The gist is that Jane is a skinwalker. Which...yeah, you probably already managed to get that from the title.

description

Anyway. She can shift into basically anything, but her favorite form is a mountain lion.
Why?
Well, due to some spoilery reasons, she shares her bod
Lyn
Jun 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
I took a break from my American Ninja Warrior training to read Faith Hunter’s 2009 novel Skinwalker – and glad I did. Cause it’s better than a bag of Lays potato chips.

First of all Hunter serves up a family sized helping of HAVEATYOU!! in the form of a leather wearing, shotgun toting and motorcycle riding Cherokee Skinwalker name of Jane Yellowrock. Jane is a tall drink of water whose special Urban Fantasy mojo is being a skinwalker, a kind of Native American were-person, especially in regard to
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Actual rating: 2.5 stars. Because I'm in a good mood today.

Disclaimer: I read this book only 10 days ago and can hardly remember the story. This should be a fascinating review. Then again, I was recently told my reviews were offensive, so all is not lost. You might get bored but at least there's a good chance you'll feel outraged about all this. Muahahahaha.

►► Presenting... Adventures in Lowered Ratings, courtesy of Faith Hunter my failing memory!

1 to 50% = OMG I can't put this down, this is 4
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
3 stars for this urban fantasy, an alternative version of our world with a Cherokee shapeshifter heroine, and vampires who are out to the public (New Orleans, the setting of this novel, is a tourist attraction largely because of all of the vampires there, who own much of the city). This 2009 novel owes quite a bit (a bit too much for my money) to Moon Called, which was published three years earlier, and the Mercy Thompson series, which also has a Native American shapeshifter heroine who's pretty ...more
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Reread and still love!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Chichipio
Dec 11, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I had so many problems with this novel that once I start, I'll probably go on for a while.

So instead, let's start with a positive note: Hunter's take on supes. Her always-on-edge vamps, witches and the skinwalker myth were well-done; all of them are pretty balanced power-wise and a good addition to UF lit.

Then there were some other good things, too. Her version of New Orleans and the Cherokee culture for example.

But there were two huge issues that kind of ruined the experience for me: the writin
Choko
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
*** 4.25 ***

A buddy read with the Wednesday UF group @ BB&B!

This was cool! I know, it sounds silly and Minimalistic, but I had fun reading it! It is not a secret that I am a fan of all things Fantasy, but I do have a soft spot for "Golden Age Urban Fantasy", mostly written between 1995 - 2005. This one falls in this category and I was not disappointed. It had everything a UF should have with its own unique flavor.

Jane is a Skinwalker, a native American Cherokee heritage, who at one point in he
Steven
Skinwalker by Faith Hunter
Published 2009, Roc
Stars: ★★★★★
Review also posted at: Slapdash & Sundry

This book was HELL YES I LOVED IT good. Interesting premise? Check. Badass main character? Double check, actually. Twisted plot? Check. Unique take on vampires? Good enough for me, check. Really cool superpowers? Check. Female MC not afraid of sexuality but not obsessed with it either? Check.

Jane is a BAMF. TOTAL BAMF. Throw Beast into the mix, and you've got "one" awesome main character.

I can't wait
Leyoh
Jan 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
Just so you know, I hate myself when I do this but I just cannot read this book any longer. I feel as though I'm punishing myself for something I haven't even done yet and I'm certain what ever it is I am yet to do is not that bad!

The premise of a badass skin walking detective solving mysteries for vamps and other supernatural beings in the south of America was alluring but ultimately deceptive. The descriptive prose was tiresome, her progress on the mission dragged, there were constant interrup
Robin (Bridge Four)
3.5 Stars

Time for a new UF series buddy read with....

description

Jane Yellowrock is an interesting heroine to base a series around. She wasn’t exactly what I was expecting because she is a shapeshifter. Not a were, that is different she actually can take the form of almost anything given the correct genetic material. But she also shares one body with something she calls beast and I liked the way that this is explored in this book. When she is in Beast’s form those are the thoughts that are in the forefr
Wealhtheow
Jane Yellowrock, a shape-shifting bounty hunter, is hired to hunt down a rogue vampire in New Orleans. I have no idea how successful she is in the end, or who the vamp is, because 161 pages in (more than halfway into the book!) basically nothing plot related has happened. Jane describes her outfits. Jane describes her beeeeeautiful flowing hair. Jane bemoans how much she has to eat all the time because shape-shifting takes mad calories, and makes fun of women who eat salad. Jane just puts on a l ...more
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
I’m not sure why I took so long to start this long and recommended series, but when I was gifted the first e-book by a Goodreads member who surprised me with the sweet gesture (thank you Layla!), I read and became majorly hooked. Majorly – which is perfect for a series junkie like me. It meant weeks of binge reading a series with over ten books published in it. Not much that I enjoy more in my reading life.

Jane is an unusual specimen – she’s a shapeshifter but not a were, someone hired to help v
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
This is more of a 3.5 star book.

Jane Yellowrock is one bad ass main character. She rides Bitsa (bits of this-bits of that motorcycle), carries a big gun, lots of weapons and oh yeah she can change into animals. Mainly a mountain lion named Beast.

I loved the setting in this book. New Orleans with lots a vamp action. There isn't any sex in the book but sexual attractions that Jane has with some of the characters.
Well and me developing a girl crush and wanting to hump her leg.
Kat
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-2
I can’t believe I haven’t read this series before now! LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! Really neat urban fantasy with a female skinwalker MC. Similar feel to Mercy Thompson and Kate Daniels, but more vampire-based rather than werewolf, but definitely the same vibe, which is awesome. Jane is a cougar-shifter, and is hired to find an evil vampire killing people in New Orleans.

The author did a great job with the setting and the feel of the city and climate. Loved the characterizations, especially of Jane and he
Emma
Apr 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.
You know how sometimes you see a book or series popping up on your GR feed and you're just not sure if it's for you? You add it to your tbr list- you take it off again- you hmm and ha..it becomes annoying because you know now you will have to read it just to see.. normally when I am undecided in this way, when I eventually cave in and read the book, my worst fears are realised and then I can say to myself 'see? I knew there was a reason I was unsure...well that's taught me?!' No?! Well
Jo
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gr2017, mine, buddy-read

Wednesday UF buddy read with my friends over at BB&B

Jane Yellowrock is a skinwalker, a human who can change shape into any animal. But unlike other skinwalkers, she shares her body with Beast, who is the soul of a mountain lion. Jane is an excellent vampire hunter, and the successful completion of her last case has given her an excellent reputation, which is why she’s been hired to hunt a rogue vampire who is killing in New Orleans.

There she not only learns more about the inner-workings o

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
May 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Female lead UF enthusiasts
Recommended to Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) by: Deva
Skinwalker was a good introduction to the world of Jane Yellowrock, skinwalker. She knew little about her past, only that she was part Cherokee, and that she could shift into the form of animals. And that she shared her consciousness with the soul of an animal, who she called Beast. Jane makes a living as rogue vampire hunter, and she's very good. Now she's in New Orleans, hired by a prominent vampire who happens to run a prostitution house. And this job is going to a very complicated one.

Jane i
Alisha
May 15, 2010 rated it liked it
Quick Take: I wasn't bowled over by this story, but overall it was enjoyable. The protagonist is unique and striking, despite nominal comparisons to other urban fantasy heroines.

Okay, so I told myself right at the beginning of this book not to compare this character to two other seemingly similar UF protagonists: Janet Begay of the Stormwalker books, or Mercy Thompson of the Mercedes Thompson books. For the most part this was easy to do, as Jane Yellowrock's similarities only go as far as the Na
Denisa
This book for me?

Wow!!! It was such an unexpected read! I mean, yeah, I expected it to be a good one, maybe even a really good one, but not this good!

What I loved the most is the fact that you get the animal's (Beast's) POV. It's the first book where I've seen this and I absolutely loved it!

I felt like reading Faulkner's The Sound and The Fury, where you see the story from the "crazy" person's POV. And I really really enjoy the change!
Plus, the whole plot was something new, a (view spoiler)
Werner
Nov 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of urban fantasy, action-oriented supernatural fiction, or action heroines
Recommended to Werner by: My Goodreads friend Laura (Kiyah Girl)
Supernatural fiction is a favorite genre of mine, and I have a soft spot for strong heroines who can kick some butt when necessary; so naturally, I thought a book that appealed to both interests might be rewarding. But that didn't begin to prepare me for how much I liked this one! In this series-opener, Faith Hunter has created one of the most original and vividly-realized fictional protagonists to come down the pike in a long time, and established herself in my eyes as one of the genre's most o ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
Mar 23, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Look a lot of people like this book. I bought it because 2 of my friends liked it (one recommended it). I don't want to tick off my friends. The one who recommended it knows that I really don't care for predominately "romance" reads...and the other doesn't like romances either. The one who recommended it knows I really don't care for...friendly, kind, romantic (or sparkly) vampires.

So please friends forgive me...we all have different tastes and no matter that I really wanted to I just couldn't l
☆★Tinja★✮ A Court of Pizza and Laziness
Got a bit bored here and there but overall enjoyed it. I couldn't connect completely with the main character, Jane, but I did like her. I didn't much care for Beast, I mostly skipped her parts, the writing from her POV was too confusing for me. I'd have also liked a bit more romance, there was pretty much nothing except for the flirting. As for the love-interests, none of those guys really excited me, so a bit of a disappointment as well. I found some stuff lacking but I think I'll still give th ...more
Rebecca McNutt
Skinwalker is a dark yet thrilling novel, giving an unexpected take on the paranormal subgenre with a great main character. I think the book was quick to go straight to tropes, but otherwise I really enjoyed it.
Steven
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017, reread
Yep, loved it just as much the second time around.

Buddy read with my UF Wednesday pals over at Buddies Books and Baubles. :)
Alex
Jul 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Just finished Faith Hunter's first book in the Jane Yellowrock series - Skinwalker. This is what I thought of it:

Hosted by imgur.com

The author's fluid writing and character construction are close to flawless. Jane's other half (I'm not talking about a guy) is this (view spoiler) that has fun teasing her in all the wrong situations and I found their distinct voices extremely well interwoven. Jane's habit of giving nicknames is hilarious: Troll for Tom, Bruiser for George, the J
Angela
27 January 2016: $1.99 on Kindle

21 August 2014: $1.99 on Kindle - I've been meaning to give this series another shot. I think my previous thoughts might have been mostly timing.

I can see the potential but there's not enough here, in either character or plot, to keep me wanting to read more. Stopped at 37%
✨Susan✨
Getting to know Jane was half the fun of the book, she is different, smart and has a believable personality. A Cherokee descendant that has received a rare paranormal gift that she does not have much background or knowledge of. We find out and learn about her as she does. The story had just the right amount of characters and paranormals to make it exciting but not over the top. New Orleans was a great backdrop for a rouge vampire hunt.
The choppiness of the verbiage while she is in her skinwalke
Wanda

This was an entertaining way to spend Friday night (yeah, I know, exciting life right?). I’m still sitting on the fence about Jane Yellowrock, but there are some threads of the story that give me hope for the series.

Faith Hunter, the author, attended a conference here in Calgary a couple of years ago, which put Jane Yellowrock on my radar, but it’s taken me a while to get to her. Like Jane, Faith claims Cherokee heritage which is reflected in this first book. Jane has a certain charisma

• Smoke Bitten (Mercy Thompson, #12)
  • Spider's Bite (Elemental Assassin, #1)
  • Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1)
  • Sweep with Me (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4.5)
  • Grave Witch (Alex Craft, #1)
  • Magic Rises (Kate Daniels, #6)
  • Midnight's Daughter (Dorina Basarab, #1)
  • Frost Burned (Mercy Thompson, #7)
  • Sweep of the Blade (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4)
  • Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1)
  • Kitty and the Midnight Hour (Kitty Norville #1)
  • Clean Sweep (Innkeeper Chronicles, #1)
  • Some Girls Bite (Chicagoland Vampires, #1)
  • Grave Dance (Alex Craft, #2)
  • Easy Pickings (Walker Papers, #7.6; Jane Yellowrock, #3.1)
  • Written in Red (The Others, #1)
  • Urban Shaman  (Walker Papers, #1)
  • Storm Cursed (Mercy Thompson, #11)
Faith Hunter's Junkyard Cats novella series is brand new, with book one available only in Audible at this time.

Faith's Jane Yellowrock series is a dark urban fantasy. Jane is a full blooded Cherokee skinwalker and hunter of rogue-vampires in a world of weres, witches, vampires, and other supernats.

The Soulwood series is a dark-urban fantasy / paranormal police procedural /para-thriller series fea

Jane Yellowrock (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Blood Cross (Jane Yellowrock, #2)
  • Mercy Blade (Jane Yellowrock, #3)
  • Raven Cursed (Jane Yellowrock, #4)
  • Death's Rival (Jane Yellowrock, #5)
  • Blood Trade (Jane Yellowrock, #6)
  • Black Arts (Jane Yellowrock, #7)
  • Broken Soul (Jane Yellowrock, #8)
  • Dark Heir (Jane Yellowrock, #9)
  • Shadow Rites (Jane Yellowrock, #10)
  • Cold Reign (Jane Yellowrock, #11)