Contemporary YA discussion

The Selection (The Selection, #1)
This topic is about The Selection
Series > The Selection

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrea (last edited Feb 22, 2016 02:14PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Andrea | 1054 comments Mod
The Selection (The Selection, #1) by Kiera Cass The Elite (The Selection, #2) by Kiera Cass The One (The Selection, #3) by Kiera Cass The Heir (The Selection, #4) by Kiera Cass (Out May 2016)

Have you read all of the books? Which one was your favorite? How would you compare The Selection to the Bachelor? What did you think about the love triangle? How would you feel if you were part of the selection?

Natália Lopes (silkcaramel) | 252 comments Mod
I have yet to read The Heir,but it's a great series! I love the whole The Bachelorette feel,but with ball gowns and in a palace. I disliked the whole love triangle thing,I thought it unnecessary and only used to add more drama when there was plenty already and make America's life harder. I also disliked that we spent most of the first 3 books hating Celeste only to find ou that she's AWSOME and the her friendship with America is gold. Kiera Cass should have developed their friendship sooner. Overall, i like the plot and the characters and I'm excited to go back to this universe for The Heir

Cheryl (cutiepi514) | 4 comments I love this series!!!! I like the whole Bachelorette feeling to it (even though I hate that show!). I feel that the whole love triangle thing was put in place so that America would have to choose between her old life with Aspen and a new life with the prince.

Beatrice Masaluñga (beatricemasalunga) I really love this series. It's a light and an easy read. I can't wait for The Heir! I find The One too straightforward and I really hope this focuses more on Illea and about the castes.

Therese | 3 comments I love the series but I haven't read the heir

inês (ines_is) | 2 comments I haven't read The Heir yet but i've read all of the others books and storys (The Prince,the guard e the queen)

Anushree Jagtap | 1 comments I loved it because it was different. It was dystopian but without all the gorey action which is nice but sometimes isn't always needed. It's similar to the Bachelor in the aspect that it's a bunch of girls competing for one guy but the Bachelor is too dramatic and has way more obstacles like time. In this, time isn't as much of an issue because there are not time constraints in the Selection.

message 8: by Andrea (last edited Apr 30, 2015 03:26PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

I had a like, love, hate relationship with this series. I loved nearly all of the characters and disliked a few like the king and Celeste at first. I loved that some of the “girls” had their own side story and some of them became friends. I also liked that Max and America had a side story too.... like the rebellion story that included Max and America’s secret meeting with August.

This series was an emotional roller coaster. There were several times if I had been reading the series instead of listening to it I would have thrown my book across the room. I knew before even starting the series that America would be selected and marry Max...it was pretty obvious. So how did I fall for Aspen and then Max. Good writing made me do it. Then I was torn. Then I was mad at Max for spending so much time with the other candidates, especially Celeste at first anyway. Then I was happy for American and Max and Aspen and Lucy. Then I was mad at Celeste then I was mad at Kriss. Really mad at Max and Kriss. American and Max both drove me crazy. I even peaked at the ending and the books were still an emotional rollercoaster for me….which is why I do not watch the bachelor.

I'm anxious to learn what changes King Max and Queen America have made since it’s been 20 years since they have been married. I hope they have eliminated the caste system. I also hope they've changed the selection with a few tweaks. I have preordered The Heir, which comes out on May 5th. So I don't have much longer to wait.

I almost forgot...I hope some of the selection women make cameos as well so we can catch up with them too.

Sinead These books are the CUTEST STORIES EVER. It's not going to be everyone's cup of tea as it is way more romance-based rather than dystopia-fighting-based, but if you're a lover of romance and princesses and happily ever afters, you'll love this.

I had a love-hate relationship with America, as I didn't like her in book 2, but I just loved Maxon and couldn't get enough of him.

I'm interested to see the changes in this world when I read the Heir, as it's been so long since the One ended and I hope changes for the better have been made!

I'm excited for the Heir too, I want to see what America and Maxon accomplished as Queen and King, what their daughter is like and her own Selection. I'm hoping to see a cameo from other secondary characters from the other books as well!

message 11: by Kyla (new) - added it

Kyla Roque (jkroque) | 2 comments Oh how much I anticipate the coming out of the Heir within few days!

I started the Heir yesterday! It's good. I'll probably finish it today. There were a few things that made me really happy. There's also a few things that annoy me (I don't want to say anything and spoil it) but I know why it's written that way so it will eventually help the story progress and character(s) to grow. I thought I knew right away who she will end up with, but we'll see. I hope it's not that obvious.

I just finished the Heir. At first, I was a little disappointed in this book, mainly because of the reason why they called Eadlyn's selection (I found a little bit lazy) and Eadlyn's personality in general. But during the course of the book, she evolves a lot and get to understand her a little better.

So, it got better and overall I enjoyed it. Erik is my favorite of them all, along with Henri and Hale, and I do hope that Eadlyn will somehow end up choosing him in the next book. I thought I knew who she would end up with at first too, but throught the book I thought about many possible endings. I do hope she won't take the obvious, easy ending either.

I'm anxious for the next one, not only to see who Eadlyn will choose, but because this one ended in a cliffhanger and I NEED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS!

I know me too! We sooo think alike when it comes to books :)

Yeah,we think so alike!Finally,I usually talk to my sister about books,but our opnion are almost always divergent hahaha

Gretchen Mary | 2 comments I just finished reading the Heir. If you liked the other Selection novels you will like the Heir. Some of you may be thinking that it sounds an awful like the Selection just with another set of characters but the author made it different enough that it does not feel like you are reading the same thing again. This time it is from the point of view of the selector instead of the selected. My only complaint is CLIFFHANGER!!! You really want to read the next book in the series, now!

Wendy (wmaresca) I am listening to the Heir right now on audio book and I have to say Eadlyn comes across a spoiled brat. I know she is going to be a Queen and has to be tough and everything h but wow.

Wendy wrote: "I am listening to the Heir right now on audio book and I have to say Eadlyn comes across a spoiled brat. I know she is going to be a Queen and has to be tough and everything h but wow."

That was one of the things that annoyed me but she is on a journey so I got over it as the book progressed.

Cindy Brown (beautygoodbook) | 12 comments I've read the first book and loved it. Can't wait to read the rest

Cindy wrote: "I've read the first book and loved it. Can't wait to read the rest"

Each book gets better....you will love them. Keep us posted. I'm waiting for the last book to come out.

Can't wait for the final book! Also, I would like to get my hands on "Happily Ever After" to read Marlee's and Queen Amberly's novellas and "The Selection Diaries".
Has anyone read any of those?

message 22: by Joan (last edited Feb 22, 2016 07:28AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joan Walker | 6 comments I recently started this series and its AWESOME!! Can't wait to read #3!

Natália wrote: "Can't wait for the final book! Also, I would like to get my hands on "Happily Ever After" to read Marlee's and Queen Amberly's novellas and "The Selection Diaries".
Has anyone read any of those?"

I listened to The Selection Stories: The Prince & The Guard (The Selection, #0.5, 2.5.) I was soooo disappointed I wanted more information and I didn't get it from the novella's. I am planning on listening Queen Amberly's Novella.

We have a cover for "The Crown" book 5 in the Selection Series.

I like it, but it is my least favorite of all the other cover dress. I do love the purple dress! Purple is the color of royalty. I don't care for the background mirrors or her hairstyle. What do you think?

Gretchen wrote: "I just finished reading the Heir. If you liked the other Selection novels you will like the Heir. Some of you may be thinking that it sounds an awful like the Selection just with another set of cha..."

America or Maxon better not die! They are not even that old, but they been written like they are nearly 80 instead of 40. I didn't like that.

I don't like this cover at all. It feels wrong somehow. The model's position is weird, the hair looks kind of cheap and the dress is my least favorite. I love the color, but the model is more suited to a sweet sixteen party than to a crown princess, the heir of a kingdom to wear to....well,to anything. The only think I do like is the mirrors, but the cover overall looks sloppy.

America and Maxon CAN'T die. This is not even up to discussion. Kiera Cass, I'm couting on you not to mess things up right in the last novel of the series.

Natália wrote: "I don't like this cover at all. It feels wrong somehow. The model's position is weird, the hair looks kind of cheap and the dress is my least favorite. I love the color, but the model is more suite..."

I feel really bad for saying this, but maybe it's the model?

Idk, because I think it's the same girl in The Heir cover and that cover is way better than this one. I think it's the composition as a whole that didn't work out, because of a mix of small things that went wrong - to me mainly the dress and the hairstyle. I've seen fan covers, I think even with the same model, that are gorgeous and looked more profissional than this one.

We don't really see their faces on the other covers it's all about the dress. You're right it's the composition as a whole, but I like the dress I just wish it was fuller like the others were.

Looking at her pose and facial expression again it kinda fits the character when she's in "get it done work style" all stern and stoic. s She needs to look softer changing the hair style, pose and facial expression would make a huge difference. America's covers were the opposite...light and carefree....I can't believe I'm here in this beautiful gown ...feeling. This cover doesn't gave the right feels. Oh well...the writing WILL make up for it lol.

I finished "The Crown" a few weeks ago. Eadlyn is almost a completely different person. She steps up and makes her family (and me) proud. She proved that she truly is her mother's daughter and her father's daughter too. I especially loved it when she did something her mother would have done in her selection if she had the same dilemma. I think that was the best part of Eadlyn's story.

I was torn at first between two men, and I kind of went back and forth between the two, but it became crystal clear who she would select and I was happy! I also enjoyed the twists, turns and surprising moments along the way. They helped to hold my attention to the story.

Although I was happy with the ending, and I gave it 4 stars, it felt like Kiera Cass wasn't passionate about these last two books. I don't think her heart was in it. Maybe they told her she had to write these last two books? Anyway, this last one felt very rushed towards the end. It was a fairly short book and could have easily had another 75-100 pages. There was an almost side plot that could have been very entertaining had it developed more...that was disappointing, but in the end Eadlyn handled that situation flawlessly.

I hope we get a satisfying novella to wrap the series up.

I couldn't agree more with you, Andrea! Eadlyn developed a lot in this book and I was so proud at the end! I really came to like her and root for her! And, as much as I thought that it was a good book and a good way to finish the series, some things felt under-developed and it could have been more explored. I also felt the need for a novella (or a few haha) to wrap this series up. I WAS SO HAPPY WITH WHO SHE END UP WITH, I STILL CAN'T BELIEVE IT! I was hoping for it since The Heir, but I never thought she would go this way. ALL.THE.FEELS.

I end up giving it 5 stars, but only because I was so emotional over the end of this series. I'm still waiting for the novellas, though.

News Regarding The Selection movie

The Selection Movie has a Director!

Thea Sharrock, who also directed Me before You, has been tapped as the director. She's a fairly new and hot director.

That means they are one step closer to getting the go ahead to proceed with the movie. They may not even have a full script yet.

The first attempt to make a movie failed as did 2 TV pilots. I watched one pilot that was horrible. Maxon was a player..a complete man ho... and America was completely different too. I also read another script that was also horrible. I think having this new hot shot director is good sign. It seems she did a great job with Me Before You.

I'll keep you posted with any update...as always.

What do you think? Casting thoughts?

message 33: by Natália (last edited Jun 27, 2016 10:56AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

YAYY, we're one step closer to get a Selection movie! I hope it goes well this time, and I've heard this director did a good job with Me Before You. Let's hope she can do well with American & Maxon!

I have a few dreamcasts for most of the characters (Bob Morley would be a good Aspen in my opnion, and Marie Avengepoulous or Phoebe Tonkin as Celeste), but I have yet to find the perfect America for me. Post your dreamcasts here and let's compare thoughts, guys!

I love, love love your picks for Celeste and Bob Morley for Aspen.

I like Skyler Samuels as Clary oops I mean American. Yes, I really wanted her to play Clary in Shadowhunters and I also think she would make a great American. She can act and her looks are versatile from girl next door to glamours.

this photo is perfect for America. She just needs red hair.
[image error]

America pre-selection before she is glamorized

I'm not so sure about Maxon ...maybe Chase Crawford?? Did Maxon have blue eyes? I can't remember. There's always colored contacts.

LOVE your choice for America! Yes, Skyler Samuels with red hair would be perfect! I can totally see her in the garden scene where America first meets Maxon. As for Chace Crawford, idk, I don't feel Maxon vibes from him. I think maybe Douglas Booth, who was Bingley in Pride and Prejudice and Zombies could be a good Maxon.

Natália wrote: "LOVE your choice for America! Yes, Skyler Samuels with red hair would be perfect! I can totally see her in the garden scene where America first meets Maxon. As for Chace Crawford, idk, I don't feel..."

Yeah, I see it. I didn't realize he was in Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. Her certainly knows how to "play" charming.

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't know who any of these people are. It must be a reflection of my age. They certainly are attractive.

Let's all hope it airs this time and it's watchable and enjoyable so we get a second and a third movie. I think the new FEMALE director is a great sign. I would enjoy watching all 5 movies.

I'm usually not a fan of books turned into movie if I have really enjoyed the book. The expectation for me was Harry Potter. The movies were wonderful and magical. They brought that world to life. The other exception was Twilight. I only read the first book and I thought the movie was much better than the book. I've watched the entire movie series at least 4 times. The movie took out all the boring sections. I didn't like the female lead at first but then she grew on me. I want the Selection movies to be just a good as the Twilight movies.

Molly wrote: "I don't know who any of these people are. It must be a reflection of my age. ..."

I liked the Twilight movies better than the books too. I hadn't even thought about all 3 or all 5 books. I hope it happens.

I haven't thought about the other movies,but let's hope we get them all on the big screen!