Start by marking “The Selection (The Selection, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Selection (The Selection, #1)

The Selection

(The Selection #1)

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  671,959 Ratings  ·  40,348 Reviews
For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with
Published April 24th 2012 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about The Selection, please sign up.
Brittany You're "like 100% sure", yeah? But you, um, haven't actually read the book yet? That doesn't make much sense. Maybe the rating is high because people…moreYou're "like 100% sure", yeah? But you, um, haven't actually read the book yet? That doesn't make much sense. Maybe the rating is high because people actually like the book. Just because the visible reviews are all terrible, that doesn't mean that everyone thinks the same. In fact, the ratings prove the opposite. As for your 1 star-prediction, it'd be easy to accept that if you had read the book. 1 star because it sucked. Or maybe 5 stars if it was great. You don't know until you read it, so its really narrow minded of you to state that opinion without having any knowledge of what the book, or author, are actually like.(less)
Ellie I read this book series because of a friend's obsession as well. She ADORES these books and was going to slit my throat in my sleep one night if I…moreI read this book series because of a friend's obsession as well. She ADORES these books and was going to slit my throat in my sleep one night if I didn't read it quickly. I'm not a romance person and also I get so worked up and upset at love triangles. I just HATE love triangles. Alas, I decided to read the book and save my life. I actually liked it. The next day I went to the library and got the second book. Then the next day I cried because all the copies of the last book were out of the library.
So, yes. I would recommend reading this. There is no harm in trying it, you might surprise yourself like I did. (less)

Victoria
May 06, 2012 rated it did not like it
UPDATE 3/23/2016:

YOU GUYS. I owe Kiera Cass a TREMENDOUS apology. Kiera Cass is the mother-effing ORACLE OF DELPHI. GET THAT WOMAN A JOB IN THE WHITE HOUSE, STAT.

Because you guys. She predicted Donald Trump's America. Rich businessman. War with China. Renaming country after own self. Creating a caste system based off of how much money one has.

I didn't believe this was an America that could happen, but turns out, I was the one who was wrong.

*sobbing quietly into nuclear bunker*

ORIGINAL REVIEW

I
Kiki
This book is like those little sachets of Nutella you get as free samples with like a magazine or a packet of Ritz or something, in that it's empty calories lite but seriously delicious. It's really small and really bad for you and not really that satisfying but shit if you don't enjoy it. Because, no matter how superior you think your tastes are, you will enjoy this. Even just on a voyeuristic level. You just have to forget all of the stuff you know. Like, all of it. Forget what you learned in ...more
Wendy Darling
Reaction before reading this book: I know I may be a sucker for falling for this cover, but look at it! I totally want to go to that party.

Reaction after reading this book: I no longer want to go to this party.

Full disclosure: I did not read this entire book. I took notes for the first 88 pages, read to page 168, and then skimmed the rest. I think reading more than half the book qualifies as giving it a fair shot.

The Selection arrives with a gorgeous cover and interesting premise. What if a lott
Emily May
Nov 17, 2013 rated it did not like it
I know, I know, I probably shouldn't have read this. But when a series gets to be this popular, I can't help needing to know why. I have friends who LOVED this and friends who HATED it, so I had to see for myself.

Firstly, the names. Okay, I’d already made peace with America Singer before going into this book. I knew that was her name, I knew it was silly, but whatever, it does not maketh or breaketh a book. But I didn’t know that America Singer was - wait, it’s too good - a singer. Honestly, why
Mariya
"I'm not so stupid as to believe that you've completely forgotten about your former boyfriend. I know you think there are others here more suited for me and this life, and I wouldn't want you to rush into trying to be happy with any of this. I just...I just want to know if it's possible..."

THE SELECTION was one of the best books I have ever read! I don't think I quite expected that once I flipped the first page that I couldn't stop! But guess what it happened! I am constantly thinking about
Shannon
If you can get past the "I'm smelling my armpit" cover, and also the silly names, and the horribly unoriginal storyline, and the terrible writing ... wait, really, you can get past all of that? What does that leave you then? A nice ... font?

Seriously, though, read reviews for this one. They're not favorable for a reason.
Lea

[**NOTE: This review was not affected by online drama or controversy. Everything I have to say here is based on my own personal opinion about the book itself, even though I definitely think Cass needs a new publicist.]

[**NOTE #2: All the captions in the non-animated picture memes were made by me-- because, you know, I'm just THAT brilliantly witty. So please don't use them without asking my permission first. Thanks :)]

35 GIRLS. 1 CROWN. THE COMPETITION OF A LIFETIME.

Now with a story premise
Steph Sinclair
I read this book for one reason: To find out why it's a New York Times Best-selling series. After drinking several beers and banging my head against the wall after reading The Selection, I can kinda see why. And to be fair, it's probably not the absolute worst book I've read. (I mean, there's still that time I read Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini...) Still, it is by no means something that I'd recommend.

I know it might seem like I detested The Selection based on my status updates, but to be pe
Emily Blake
*An ARC was provided by HarperTeen in exchange for an honest review*

I don't usually go for books like this one, with the whole princess competition thing going on (actually I've never even started one because they don't look good), but let me tell you, this book is amazing.

I loved it. That's all I can say. It went right into the story, and I was hooked from page one. I just couldn't stop reading. The plot was AMAZING!! I loved how Kiera Cass manipulated the characters (Aspen) to make America sig
Maria
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
4/5 Stars ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐
“True love is usually the most inconvenient kind.”

Wow! How refreshing! I feel so much lighter now, like a weight has been lifted off of me. I feel happy and fluffy and bubbly. This is such a fan and entertaining read. I can't even review it properly. You can't just criticize harshly a trash YA book, made to not be taken seriously. Guys, let some love into your life! This book meets The Hunger Games meets The Bachelor meets America's Next Top Model meets any kind of trashy realit
Jamie
Jan 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I can never ever get enough of this series! To start off, I will say that I liked this book more that I thought I would. I was originally looking for a book for a reading challenge (needed blue covers) and just happened to see this at the library and figured it didn't look too bad and that I would just read it since nothing else was working. I have now read this fourtimes since it came out. It has yet to tire for me.
It is hard to explain why I like it. It is a true guilty pleasure, fluffy kind o
Gabrielle Carolina
Feb 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
Did not finish; stopped at page 208.

I could not get behind America who is suffering from an affliction called TSTL syndrome (too stupid to live.) Her choices seem robotic and awkward, her dialogue and self-deprication feel desperate and forced. None of the other characters rise to the occasion of acting realistically, either.

Besides that, and a serious lack of world building, The Selection is to The Hunger Games as Carrier of the Mark is to Twilight. That is to say an apparent knock-off. Gavril
Lauren Suero
Dec 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Here's how this book should be marketed: Dystopian world meets 'The Bachelor'.....sort of.

NOT THE HUNGER GAMES. There's no fight to the death here.. just a bunch of young women vying for the heart of one very handsome prince.

Personally, I've been excited to read this book from day one of it's announcement. Say what you will about the cover, but holy heck is it gorgeous. If I wasn't so damn short, I'd totally rock that dress. The chance to become a princess? BESTILL MY 5 YEAR OLD HEART!

I loved th
Taneika
The best chocolate chip cookies I've ever had are full of delicious, "bad-for-you" ingredients, are only $3 and I often find myself devouring almost an entire packet in one sitting despite knowing I probably shouldn't eat that many cookies. But, I can't help it, I just enjoy them so much. The Selection is a bit like that. It's cheap, nasty and has everything I could possibly hate in literature, yet I found myself addicted and it was so much fun.

(I still stand by my opinion that the controversy s
Sophie
Edit:
I have only one question, and that question is:
WHY IS THE OVERALL RATING FOR THIS BOOK SO HIGH??

Last time I checked it was in the 3's. Something fishy is going on here...

This review also appears on The Dreaming Reader.

May I present to everyone The Hunger Games...Girlified!
Disclaimer: Despite the fact that I am drawing comparisons between the two, there is no way that this sad little novel (if it can even be called that) will ever match up to The Hunger Games.

Similarity #1: A "cutthroat"
Natalie Monroe

"I didn't want to be royalty. And I didn't want to be a One. I didn't even want to try."

Let me tell you a story.

Once upon a time, a girl who doesn't think she's pretty and has jackshit ambition is suddenly elevated to a Chosen One status. She gets to live a palace where she's waited on hand and foot as well as gets a makeover and pretty dresses. During her time, she slowly finds herself falling for a handsome boy in a position of power, but her heart is still with her scruffy low-cla
emma
Heavens above, why are you smiting me?

I’m like, super behind on BookTube-a-thon. I was doing fine, and then I had an emergencylevelsuperbusybeyondstressfulconstantlyanxious garbage smoothie of a day. And I didn’t read at all.

AND NOW I’M VERY BEHIND AND I HATE IT.

So I picked up this book, which I’ve been meaning to reread, because I remembered it as being fast and fun and cute and easy. BECAUSE I NEED TO CATCH UP. I CAN’T LOSE. NOT AT A READING THING. THIS IS ALL I HAVE!!!!

Two of the adjectives I
Natverse
Jan 20, 2012 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Non-feminists, people with little dignity.
Recommended to Natverse by: Goodreads failed me again.
NOTE: I want to remind readers that it is important to give all books a fair chance despite negative reviews and the author or their agent opening their mouth when they shouldn't. That being said, I have nothing personal against Kiera Cass and she seems like a lovely human being, but I really did not like this book. See linked article for agent's involvement in unpaid reviewer controversy.

Sentence: I sentence Kiera Cass to a season of The Bachelor in which everyone is selected to be dropped off
Miranda Reads
May 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook, ya-series

The Bachelor + The Princess Diaries + DRAMA
North America was destroyed (wars, financial crisis, etc). A man of the name Gregory Illéa pulled together what was left to form Illéa.

This new country came with a strict caste system with Ones being the royal family all the way down to Eights - poor, starving untouchables.

America Singer, a Five,
Kate ♡
Apr 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-read
The Selection by Kiera Cass

Ahhh, I loved this book sooo much, and I completely see the hype!!

Although most of this book was quiet predictable, that didn't even matter because all the other amazing qualities of this book outshone that!
Kiera Cass seems like such a cute and lovely person, so I'm so happy I loved her book!
I cannot wait to continue on with this series, I'm totally Team Maxon people!! Hahaha,
I loved the setting, characters, plot, romance, just awesome!

Side note: THANK YOU 'THE SELEC
Dorreh
Nov 16, 2013 rated it liked it
It wasn't a bad book, it really wasn't. Had i read this two or three years ago when I was neck deep in the my love for predictable happily ever afters, I would have been head over heels for this book. But sadly that isn't case now.
The book was well written and with a melodic drift that made you want to find out what happens next, even though you kinda already knew what's going to happen since the first page. In a simply mediocre kind of way.

But all in all I can't really complain, it's not some
Katrina Passick Lumsden
Oooooohhhhhh, why did this have to be so vapid?!

*Sigh*

Let's get one thing straight; dystopian novels are one of my guilty pleasures. This one's premise seemed slightly intriguing, even if the idea of a futuristic version of The Bachelor (with a royal twist) made me cringe a little (because I effing hate The Bachelor). Sadly, however, where premise and good intentions fail, mediocrity prevails. This entire book is just silly. Shallow and completely meaningless....and nothing really happened. I g
Courtney
Dec 01, 2011 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Courtney by: VOYA
Little to no plot. If readers are addicted to watching THE BACHELOR, then they may be able to drudge through this one. The only thing "dystopian" about it is the caste system. There are so many other great dystopian novels out there that readers should pass on this one.

For full review, please visit:

(scroll down)
Clair
Jun 10, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, fiction
The Selection (The Selection #1) by Kiera Cass Apparently every little girl dreams of being a princess. The idea being that Prince Charming comes from a little country you’ve never heard of and woos you with his eloquent parlance, snappy dress sense, and amiable personality. He might also be cursed and looking for the kiss of true love.

Still, cursed or not, Prince Charming archetypes have existed for as long as fairytales and Disney movies have perpetuated. It also seems that a lot of girls don
Nadhira Satria
Aug 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
First of all, DON'T JUDGE

I’m falling into a slump and nothing can get me up other than fluffy ass romance so am I going to reread the addictive trash aka my guilty pleasure that is the selection, yes I am.
Send help
Maureen
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
This may be more of a 3.5, but I'll keep it at a 4 for now. I was not expecting to like this book as much as I did (though everyone told me how addicting it was). It's definitely a book that is hard to put down. It's not necessarily the best writing (though I LOVED the world and world building) and I pretty much want to punch every character in the face all the time (and I'm assuming I will want to do that more throughout the next two books) but I still really enjoyed myself. Sometimes you just ...more
Kat Kennedy
Dec 19, 2011 marked it as do-not-read
Reason in comments.
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
So I never thought I would read this book, let alone finish it but it happened.
Interestingly enough... I'll probably continue if I can find the other books at my library sale...

No idea how to rate it but it was as I expected. A bit of a guilty read, fast paced, I rolled my eyes a few times and I didn't like the love triangle but again... I finished it and want to continue so I guess it wasn't so bad!
Juliana Zapata
Apr 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Encantada, fascinada y enamorada de esta historia. Tanto la ambientación como el protagonista desprenden glamour, educación y caballerosidad.

La Selección es un cuento de hadas dentro de una distopía. Me arrebató muchísimo suspiros! Espero leer pronto la continuación de la historia.
#TeamMaxon

Reseña Completa: http://bastvilard.blogspot.com/2015/0...
Carol [Goodreads Addict]
First, I want to say that I LOVED this book. I've been wanting to get to this series for so long and it most definitely did not disappoint. I love the names of the three main characters, America, Aspen, and Prince Maxon. Awesome names. To describe America Singer, I would say she is loyal, tough, passionate, and at the same time, vulnerable and a little bit naive. I instantly fell in love with her. Aspen is someone she has known all her life and the last two years, they fell in love. But in this ...more
Word Game Starting with Maxon 4430 877 Nov 16, 2018 11:49AM
Prince Maxon or Aspen? 2509 4885 Nov 16, 2018 11:32AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: The Selection Series by Kiera Cass - Restarting September 11th 2018 115 258 Nov 15, 2018 06:17PM
selection oc 1 7 Oct 18, 2018 10:33PM
Word. Game!!!! 440 215 Sep 25, 2018 03:58PM
  • Once (Eve, #2)
  • Fever (The Chemical Garden, #2)
  • Unravel Me (Shatter Me, #2)
  • Allegiance (Legacy, #2)
  • Truth (XVI, #2)
  • The Other Life (The Other Life, #1)
  • Outpost (Razorland, #2)
  • Until I Die (Revenants, #2)
  • The Glimpse (The Glimpse, #1)
  • The Pledge (The Pledge, #1)
  • The Iron Knight (The Iron Fey, #4)
  • The Vanishing
  • Endless Knight (The Arcana Chronicles, #2)
  • Of Triton (The Syrena Legacy, #2)
  • Hana (Delirium, #1.5)
  • Tiger's Destiny (The Tiger Saga, #4)
  • A Million Suns (Across the Universe, #2)
  • Under the Never Sky (Under the Never Sky, #1)
100 Things I Love:

Being married. Cake. The smell of Autumn. Motherhood. Books. Elephants. Back rubs. On demand movies. Actually going out to movies. Faith. Cinnamon rolls. My family. Butterflies. When my kitchen is clean. Crayons. Pink. Tote bags. Dancing. Organizing via color coordination. That my wedding dress was tea length, not floor. Baking. My house. Writing utensils. Paper. India. The sound

The Selection (5 books)
  • The Elite (The Selection, #2)
  • The One (The Selection, #3)
  • The Heir (The Selection, #4)
  • The Crown (The Selection, #5)
“True love is usually the most inconvenient kind.” 2512 likes
“I hope you find someone you can't live without.I really do. And I hope you never have to know what it's like to have to try and live without them.” 2008 likes