Christian Fiction Bloggers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVED Team challenges > Team Sherlock

Comments Showing 1-50 of 289 (289 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (last edited Feb 12, 2015 08:12AM) (new)

Megan (celtic_girl) | 6293 comments Mod
Team Members
Andrea
Caitlyn
Kimberly
Megan
Rita

Esther

message 2: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (last edited Feb 01, 2015 04:38AM) (new)

message 3: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (last edited Feb 01, 2015 04:39AM) (new)

The Peg Colors

Black: Read a book with a cover featuring black as a prominent color; or a book with the title, author's first or last name, series, or one of the main character's first or last name beginning with B.

Blue: Read a book with a cover featuring blue as a prominent color; or a book with the title, author's first or last name, series, or one of the main character's first or last name beginning with B.

Brown: Read a book with a cover featuring brown as a prominent color; or a book with the title, author's first or last name, series, or one of the main character's first or last name beginning with B.

Green: Read a book with a cover featuring green as a prominent color; or a book with the title, author's first or last name, series, or one of the main character's first or last name beginning with G.

Orange: Read a book with a cover featuring orange as a prominent color; or a book with the title, author's first or last name, series, or one of the main character's first or last name beginning with O.

Red: Read a book with a cover featuring red as a prominent color; or a book with the title, author's first or last name, series, or one of the main character's first or last name beginning with R.

White: Read a book with a cover featuring white as a prominent color; or a book with the title, author's first or last name, series, or one of the main character's first or last name beginning with W.

Yellow: Read a book with a cover featuring yellow as a prominent color; or a book with the title, author's first or last name, series, or one of the main character's first or last name beginning with Y.

message 4: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (last edited Feb 01, 2015 04:39AM) (new)

How Answering Work
0-5 key pegs may be given on a turn.
For each peg that is the correct color but in the wrong location, a white key peg will be placed.
For each peg that is the correct color and in the correct location, a black key peg will be placed.

Book Requirements:
❀Must be 100+ pages
❀May be read in any format (print, ebook, audio, etc.)
❀Manga, Comics, graphic novels, cookbooks, etc. are not allowed.
❀You may reread a book for the challenge, it's not preferred but it is allowed. The book must be read in it's entirety, not just skimmed. You may not, however, reread a book that you used already for this challenge.
❀All books used for the challenge MUST be started AFTER the team decides what their guess is going to be. If you realize a book you've already started would be a perfect fit for the challenge, you may restart it and then it will count - but only if you restart it.

message 5: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new)

Reserved

message 6: by Caitlyn (new)

Caitlyn Santi | 815 comments Hi *Waves* I'm looking forward to playing this game with all of you, I'm not sure exactly how this all works and how would be best to start, so I do not feel that I am able to be team captain. But I look forward to learning how to play this game. :)

message 7: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4311 comments Hello! I'm excited about this game but not sure how it works. I'm certain it will make sense as we go along. What's our first clue?

message 8: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new)

Hi Team!

I was thinking for the first guess at the code we could all just pick a color, whatever works best with what we plan on reading next, and see what happens. Otherwise, we could decide on one or two different colors and only use those.

I'm planning on reading A Woman of Fortune (Texas Gold, #1) by Kellie Coates Gilbert this week and it works for GREEN (author's last name begins with G), RED (dress), or WHITE (title begins with W). However, if we'd rather use different colors I'm sure I can find a different book to work. :)

message 9: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new)

Andrea wrote: "Hello! I'm excited about this game but not sure how it works. I'm certain it will make sense as we go along. What's our first clue?"

Caitlyn wrote: "Hi *Waves* I'm looking forward to playing this game with all of you, I'm not sure exactly how this all works and how would be best to start, so I do not feel that I am able to be team captain. But ..."

If you've ever played the game Mastermind it's very similar to that, but in case you haven't I'll try to explain. The way the game works is we decide what colors we want to guess at the hidden code (which is five color pegs) and then we each read a book for one of the colors.

EXAMPLE:
We decide we'll guess at the code with the following colors: BROWN, BLUE, ORANGE, WHITE, YELLOW

So three of us will read a book that works for brown and two will read a book that works for blue. Once all of our books have been read and reviewed we will get the answer to our guess and then decide what our next guess at the code will be. The key pegs are not placed in any way that indicates to which color pegs the key pegs correspond, but instead will always be place black followed by white (where applicable).

Let's say that the above guess receive two black key pegs (meaning two of the colors are correct and in the correct location) and one white peg (which means that one of the colors is correct but in the wrong location), we would know that we've found three of the colors but we wouldn't know which ones they are yet. We would have to deduce for subsequent guesses what they might be.

message 10: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4311 comments Okay. What colors do we want to guess? I can choose a book after we decide. I'm sure I have one that would work with almost any of them.

message 11: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (ksnapier) | 667 comments hello. I am not sure how this goes and as I am going through home renovations and then a move, I would rather not be in charge. I can also find a book to read when given a color

message 12: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4311 comments I'm reading Nowhere to Turn (Hidden Identity, #2) by Lynette Eason next. This will work for BLUE (cover color) or BLACK or BROWN (main character's last name: Buchanan). Which one of these colors would we like to use in our guess? If we could come up with a guess to submit tomorrow, that would be great. Then we could begin reading our books.

message 13: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new)

I'm fine with handling the captain's duties - if that's okay with the rest of you.

message 14: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new)

I think we should just each decide a color and then we'll use that. We can either put the colors alphabetically by the person choosing them (Andrea, Caitlyn, Esther, Kimberly, Megan) or as people post. I'm fine with either.

message 15: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4311 comments Sounds great, Megan. I'll go with BROWN for mine this round.

message 16: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new)

I'll go with RED.

message 17: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (last edited Feb 09, 2015 12:19AM) (new)

Just putting it this way, so I can keep track of who has said a color, but if we'd rather put them in a different order that's fine too.

Andrea - BROWN
Caitlyn - BLACK
Esther Andrea (extra) - WHITE
Kimberly - BLUE
Megan - RED

message 18: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4311 comments Sounds good, Megan. Can't wait to start. Hopefully we'll all have our colors later today (Monday) so we may begin reading.

message 19: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (ksnapier) | 667 comments It'll take blue

message 20: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4311 comments Updated list:

Andrea - BROWN
Caitlyn
Esther
Kimberly - BLUE
Megan - RED

message 21: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new)

Thanks for updating the list Andrea :)

message 22: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new)

Rule Change
Melanie and I discussed how choosing colors should work and decided that as soon as a player confirms the color they are choosing (and their team agrees) they can begin reading that book. After choosing a color, you may decide to read a different book than you originally planned - as long as the new book was started after your decision.

The guess at the code will still be submitted once all players have decided, but this way you don't have to wait to start reading :)

message 23: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new)

Just in case my above message isn't clear (view spoiler), by "and their team agrees" is meant for later rounds for us. This round we are all deciding what color we want and are placing them in alphabetically order by the player who chose :)

message 24: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4311 comments Sounds good to me. I'm so ready to read this Lynette Eason book. Been waiting to squeeze it into my schedule for a few months now. So glad it fits into this game. :)

message 25: by Caitlyn (new)

Caitlyn Santi | 815 comments I'll go with black. I'll be reading It Had to Be You (Weddings by Bella, #3) by Janice Thompson the main character's name is Bella! :)

message 26: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4311 comments Awesome!

Updated list:

Andrea - BROWN
Caitlyn - BLACK
Esther
Kimberly - BLUE
Megan - RED

One more and we can submit our guess!

message 27: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4311 comments I finished my book, Nowhere to Turn (Hidden Identity, #2) by Lynette Eason , a few minutes ago. Lynette Eason's books never take me too long. She's REALLY good at writing suspense!

Here's the link to my Goodreads review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Is there somewhere else I need to put this link for it to count for our game?

message 28: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (ksnapier) | 667 comments I just finished The Heavenly Man by Paul Hattaway and my review can be found on https://www.goodreads.com/review/show....
I loved it!

message 29: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4311 comments Lovely review, Kimberly! Sounds like a wonderful book.

message 30: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4311 comments Do I need to start another book yet?

message 31: by Caitlyn (new)

Caitlyn Santi | 815 comments I finished my book for Black yesterday
Here is my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 32: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4311 comments Sounds like you've found a wonderful series, Caitlyn! Great review.

Three down. Two to go. Go Team Sherlock!

message 33: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new)

I'm almost halfway into my book. I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would :)

message 34: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new)

Andrea wrote: "Do I need to start another book yet?"

If you could read one for Esther, since she hasn't shown up in this thread yet, that would be wonderful. Thank you :)

message 35: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4311 comments All right. I've got some time in the next few days. I'll read Wish by Jake Smith for WHITE (title).

That should allow us to submit our guess. Megan, do you want to post that, as our captain?

message 36: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new)

I'll go post it right now :)

message 37: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new)

Posted :)

message 38: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4311 comments Awesome!

message 39: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4311 comments I finished my second book, Wish by Jake Smith , and here is my review. Four stars, loved the emotional journey. Needed a good cry, and this book delivered!

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 40: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4311 comments Only one more to go, right, team? Can't wait to see if we got any colors right. :)

message 41: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new)

message 42: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new)

Two of the colors were correct (LINK to spreadsheet).

How do you ladies want to work the next guess? The same way as the previous round (alphabetically & whatever color works for the book we want to read next) or we pick specific colors and then each pick the one that works best for us?

message 43: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (last edited Feb 12, 2015 08:15AM) (new)

We have a replacement player for Esther. Welcome Rita to Team Sherlock!

message 44: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4311 comments Hi Rita! So glad you could join Team Sherlock.

Megan, we have two colors right but not in the right order. How do we want to try to figure out which two colors they are? Should we choose two colors from the ones we did last round and then do three colors that we didn't use? Of course there may be duplicates of the colors we used last time.

All of that was me thinking out loud, I guess. If anyone has other ideas, I'm open to it. I'm also up for changing my book if need be. I do like the alphabetical order, though. We can figure out our strategies using that.

I'll go with white with The Prayer Box by Lisa Wingate (Author's last name).

Andrea - WHITE
Caitlyn -
Kimberly -
Megan -
Rita -

message 45: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (ksnapier) | 667 comments I would like to read Making Marion. The cover is yellow

message 46: by Caitlyn (last edited Feb 12, 2015 05:49PM) (new)

Caitlyn Santi | 815 comments My next read will be Barefoot Summer (Chapel Spring #1) by Denise Hunter it would work for BLACK, BLUE, or BROWN. Or depending on how we decide we want to do our next guess I believe it could also work for ORANGE because one of the main characters last name is O' Reilly!

I also have a book that I need to read soon that will work for RED, I'm fine with doing either book depending on what we want our guess to be!

message 47: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4311 comments Caitlyn, let's use ORANGE so we'll have two new colors (yellow for Kimberly and orange for you).

Andrea - WHITE
Caitlyn - ORANGE
Kimberly - YELLOW
Megan -
Rita -

Hope you enjoy your books, ladies!

message 48: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new)

I'll be reading The Eyre Affair (Thursday Next, #1) by Jasper Fforde , works for GREEN.

message 49: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (last edited Feb 12, 2015 09:39PM) (new)

Thanks for putting them all together Andrea!

Andrea - WHITE
Caitlyn - ORANGE
Kimberly - YELLOW
Megan - GREEN
Rita -

message 50: by Rita (new)

Rita | 4895 comments
I'll be reading A December Bride (A Year of Weddings, #1) by Denise Hunter which will work for red or white (cover), or orange for the main female character's last name (O'Reilly). If it's used for red, it will be in the same position as the first guess, which could or could not help this time. What do you all think?

« previous 1 3 4 5 6
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.