Start by marking “Parallel (Travelers, #1)” as Want to Read:
Parallel (Travelers, #1)

Parallel

(Travelers #1)

Destiny has a way of catching up.

Saddled with powers she doesn't understand, Etta Fleming's world is turned upside-down the day she meets Cooper Everett, the man who transports her to an alternate reality. A reality she was meant to be a part of.

One minute, she's an orphan living at Dominion House for Girls, an institution for delinquent foster kids, then finds herself
Published August 26th 2011 by Sugar Skull Books (first published April 15th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Parallel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Parallel

Start your review of Parallel (Travelers, #1)
Becca-Rawr
Jan 04, 2014 rated it did not like it
What the hell is this book even about?

Um… this is going to hurt.

First, let’s all take a moment to read the synopsis. Read it? Got it? Good. This book promises alternate realities and parallel universes. Yay! It’s not something you come across very often in YA books. So, like you, I was excited when I saw this book. Better yet I got it for free on my new Kindle, so I thought what better way to read it? Oh boy…
The problem with this book is that all the great and exciting aspects are more-so-than-n
Paula  Phillips
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
When Etta was a little girl, her parents were killed in a plane crash, and she became an orphan. Shuffled from foster home to foster home, she never had a place to call an actual home. Now at seventeen, she is living in a group home called Dominion. Recently she discovered a guy was looking for her. Cooper Everett has been looking for Etta for a long time now as he is about to open her eyes and mind to a whole new reality as apparently she is needed in her "real reality." A reality that she was ...more
Jenn
Nov 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
Before I start off, I want to give a huge thank you to the ladies at Kismet Book Touring for this opportunity. I’ve had a lot of fun getting to know Claudia and reading Parallel. :)

I wasn’t sure what to expect from Parallel when I started reading it. The blurb sounded amazing and I’m a total sucker for stories with time/dimension/space travel (Doctor Who, Sliders, and Quantum Leap make me squee like nobody’s business) so I anticipated a fun read but I was blown away by how much I loved Parallel.
Alaiel Kreuz
Oct 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Were to begin? I think that the only way to explain what I felt with this hook is to be honest. A month ago a friend recommend me "Fringe", the tv series, you know that series, right? It's about impossible things turning possible. And one of this crazy but intriguing possibilities are parallel universes.

I'm simply in love with this matter, it makes me think, makes me want to understand things that are beyond reality. That's the reason I loved this book. "Parallel" was everything I expected and m
Brittney
Nov 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle-owned
This book was a confusing mess. It wasn't put together well. The characters were hard to follow because they were ever changing. The explanations about parallel worlds and time travel were mind boggling. And the main character, Etta, was a pain. She was boring, annoying, way too dang trusting, and well she really was rather unlikable. I couldn't connect with her for some reason.

The story is interesting, it's just in so many puzzle pieces it is hard to put together. But something must have been
Heather
Sep 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Continuing with my non-vampire/werewolf YA book binge, Claudia Lafeve's Parallel is an alternate/parallel universe novel featuring Etta, an oprhan who has been moved from foster home to foster home after being labeled as a troubled kid. When she feels threatened, her wishes sometimes physically manifest themselves in the people trying to do her harm, and the final instance of this has landed her in Dominion House for Girls.

When she's almost eighteen, a mysterious man a few years older than her
Martha Bourke
Feb 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Parallel by Claudia Lefeve is a superb reading experience. The book centers on Etta, a teenager who was orphaned when her parents were in an accident. The flawless research into the world of a child in foster care allows the reader to have sympathy for Etta, while at the same time showing that she has incredible inner strength. This humanizes her, and it allowed me to connect with Etta in a way I haven’t with a heroine in a long time.

Ms. Lefeve’s approach to the parallel universe concept is also
Savannah (Books With Bite)
Oct 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
What I like most about this story is the plot line. Ms. Lefeve did one heck of a job keeping me entertained but also keeping me at bay from answers till the end. She had me hooked and desperate! I have never wanted to finish a book so fast just to get to the end already! I loved that she kept the reader wrapped up in the mysteriousness of the book. Pieces of information were drop, only to find myself desperate for more.

The characters were also great! I loved that they grew right before the reade
Pamela Watson
Sep 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Very cool and different kind of story line. Very refreshing.
Rachael
Loved it! Brilliant, different, awesome...Loved it!
Alicia (aka Rozzie) Chamberlain
Wow for a kindle freebie this was awesome!
Khaytie Shaw
Sep 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Where Is the next one!!! I need more!'
Goth Gone Grey
May 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy, 2018
Has potential, but does not live up to it

A friend enjoyed this book, so I added it to my Kindle as well. The basic plot has a lot of potential, but the execution left something to be desired.

Etta is an orphan, because orphans in fiction have all the cool stories. As the book unfolds, she discovers abilities she didn't realize she had, and is moved through different realities. During all this, she often sees Cooper, a young man who helps her learn this strange new world.

I like the idea that dre
Riz
I believe each one of us had already given the thought of the possibilities of Time Traveling or Psionic Abilities, but what if one day a boy you just happen to met for the first time explain these things on you and claim they're all real? I'll wager you would think he totally lost it, but again what if he divulge that its absolutely real because both of you has the abilities and deep inside, somehow you also think its true? I guess you'll reconsider your thoughts. These are one of the ideas I ...more
Sarah Gonzalez
Jul 26, 2011 rated it liked it
If I could describe Parallel in one word it would have to be gripping. I read the complete book in one sitting.

I did have a hard time following the concept of “traveling”. You see, the book centers around the idea of parallel universes; Etta learns that she was hidden in an alternate universe for her own protection. She is then brought back to her original dimension. But nobody knew she was missing for years. Are you confused? I was too. Then, Lefeve added in the concept of time travel to the mi
Emma (BelleBooks)
Sep 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, review-copy
I got a review copy of Parallel as I was taking part in the blog tour for this book, you can see my interview with Claudia Lefeve a few posts back.

Parallel follows teenager Etta who has been brought up jumping from foster families and is eventually dumped in Dominion House for Girls, an institution for delinquent foster children where she finds herself sharing a room with a girl she used to live with in a foster family years ago.

Etta goes on with her normal life, school, hanging out and and tryi
Kerri
Oct 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
First the cover: I read the ebook version that had the house on front and I'm not sure what that had to do with the story? Perhaps it was suppose to be the Dominion House for Girls, an institution for delinquent foster kids but if so it is not how I pictured it. The house on the cover looks more like a small farm house out in the middle of nowhere. Personally I'd like to see a more interesting cover to better suit this very interesting book.

"Parallel" by Claudia Lafeve joins a refreshing new tr
Jen | Jen Talks Audiobooks
I began this on audio (narrated by Sienna Beckman) and although the narration was very good, the story - not so much. I got through about half of it and then switched to Kindle, then skimmed through to the end. That's the reason I'm not giving this book a star rating.

The premise here was good. Orphan girl gets spirited away to a parallel universe where her life is much better. There's a missing dad. There are the changes between the worlds. There's something "else" going on. There are paranormal
Jessa
Parallel is a hard book for me to review. On the one hand, I liked the concept *a lot* and I found some of the characters likable and endearing. That being said, the book had a lot of spelling and grammar mistakes, which I found extremely distracting. At one point the character is talking about how she is sitting with a boy and they use the wrong name for the boy. Boy #1 is discussed, then it refers to him as boy #2 and then returns back to boy #1 again. It was indeed boy #1 the entire time, but ...more
Kirsty (Book - Love - Bug)
I'm not saying this book is perfect - at one point the author refers to the wrong character in a scene, which was slightly confusing and I found myself re-reading and re-reading the paragraph trying to work out if it was me being stupid or not, before deciding it wasn't and moving on. I, personally, found this forgivable as I am used to reading proof copies where the odd mistake like that aren't totally uncommon. However, if I had paid for the book, I would have been slightly more annoyed and it ...more
Jeannette
Feb 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'd like to start off by saying that I've never been particularly fond of books about time travel. The Time Traveler's Wife left a bad taste in my mouth. This book however, has made a huge difference in my opinion. I don't know if it's the originality of the plot or the pragmatic world LeFeve has created that had me so intrigued. I did struggle a bit with the lack of relationships between the characters. I felt like some of them should have deeper connections. Etta seemed to handle the changes i ...more
Catie
Feb 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
I want to start out by thanking the author for contacting my blog Forbidden Passions Reviews for a review because I am so happy that I read this wonderful novel.

I loved the fast paced storyline that will keep you reading until the very end. I was so caught up in the novel that I did not even realize that I finished in one sitting. I think this first time author did a great job of creating a refreshing YA novel that is not like anything that I have read before. I want to give snaps to Claudia Le
Tara
Jan 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very interesting plot. The idea of time travel and parallel universes is very intriguing and I really like how the author set this story up. The characters are interesting however there are a few too many key characters that play a main part in the story and come the last quarter of the book you don't hear anything more about them. There are too many unanswered questions and the ending just ends with a very typical "ah-ha" moment (I knew the big secret about half way through). All in all- good p ...more
Mar 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
SPOILER ALERT

I love time travel books. I loved The Sliders TV show, which is parallel dimensions. At the beginning of this book, it seems to be just about parallel dimensions, but as we read further, find it is ALSO time travel. The only thing is that I guessed (more than guessed - I was as sure of it as I could be without actually reading the words) at what I can assume was supposed to be the cliff-hanger ending, many pages beforehand.

It was a free Kindle book, but I did end up spending the $2
Stacey Benefiel
Sep 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really dig alternate timelines/time travel stories and Parallel did not disappoint. It's the first in the series, so I have lots of questions that I need answered and can't wait for the next book! The physics weren't so complicated that I couldn't understand them, but the plot was still trippy enough to hold my interest. There's a great twist at the end that I didn't suspect until right before it was revealed. Very interesting and enjoyable read.
Michelle
Dec 21, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: e-books, teen, abandoned
I ended up abandoning this one. I couldn't connect with any of the characters and the plot required just accepting all kinds of implausible things with no basis or explanation. Among other things, I just found it too hard to believe that she could step into someone else's life and have no one suspicious of her.
Megan
This was an enjoyable book. I would have liked more details about parallel dimensions (view spoiler), but hopefully those will come in the other books in the series. I got this book for free on Amazon, and it's currently still free, so if the story piques your interest I say give it a read.

Content: some swearing (including taking God's name in vain)
Wallene
Oct 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
A really nice change from the werewolf/vampire craze that has taken over young adult fiction. I enjoyed the main character: quite a character, if you will excuse the pun. I look forward to reading other stories by Ms. Lefeve.
Suzy Partlow
Jan 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put this book down! It's the first book in a long time that had me guessing and trying to figure things out. I felt the end could have had a few more questions answered, but hoping the sequel will do that.
Jul 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Free book on my iBooks account. What's not to like? While it was quite intriguing for a kids' book, it has a sequel, and guess what?! The sequel is not free! Well played, iBooks, well played.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Is It Just Me?
  • The Game (The Game is Life, #1)
  • Digital Heretic (The Game is Life, #2)
  • The One You Fear (Emma Holden Suspense Mystery, #2)
  • Secret Service
  • The One You Love (Emma Holden Suspense Mystery, #1)
  • The Da Vinci Code (the Young Adult Adaptation)
  • Dan Brown Inferno (Robert Langdon) Unofficial Guide
  • Taking Shots (Assassins, #1)
  • Goodbye Paradise (Hello Goodbye, #1)
  • Love Unscripted (Love, #1)
  • Jockblocked (Gridiron, #2)
  • Eversea (Butler Cove, #1)
  • Played (Gridiron, #4)
  • Downed (Gridiron, #3)
  • Sacked (Gridiron, #1)
  • Breakaway (Portland Storm, #1)
  • Capture (Seaside Pictures, #1)
Claudia Lefeve was born and raised so far down the Texas Gulf Coast she has to pull up a map to show people it’s nowhere near Houston. Now living in Northern Virginia, she is taking a temporary hiatus from a civilian career in law enforcement in order to write full-time. She lives with her husband and three dogs.

DESTINED FOR TROUBLE is now available!

Travelers (5 books)
  • Paradox (Travelers #2)
  • Paradigm (Travelers #3)
  • Hitched (A Travelers Short Story)
  • Travelers Series Box Set

News & Interviews

“Single girl survival tip 101: always let strange men know you’re not alone. This way they know not to try anything stupid like slipping roofies in your drink.” 6 likes
“...every time a choice is made, we end up playing out a different scene – like a chose your own adventure book.” 4 likes