Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

Start here: Intros & inspiration > How to tick of a lot of prompts by reading series

Comments Showing 1-50 of 89 (89 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Angela (new)

Angela | 19 comments I really love reading book series so i created this list of series you can read or reread this year while you check of lot of prompts with it. I did not ad prompts like A book you can finish in a day, A book by an author with your same initials because they are not general. I added a book that made you cry to every book that made me cry.
I would be happy if you could add some series.

Harry Potter

1)A book with more than 500 pages
A book that became a movie
9) A book by a female author
13) A book set in a different country
15) A popular author's first book
27) A book you can finish in a day
29) A book set somewhere you've always wanted to visit
30) A book that came out the year you were born
Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone 1997
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets 1998
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban 1999
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire 2000
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix 2003
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince 2005
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows 2007

38) A book that made you cry
39) A book with magic
33) A book from your childhood

Divergent –series by Veronica Roth

6) A book written by someone under 30
11) A book with a one word title
32) A trilogy

Percy Jackson by Rick Riordan

13) A book set in a different country ( if you are not from America)
33) A book from your childhood

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

3) A book that became a movie
32) A trilogy

message 2: by Beth (new)

Beth Outlander would be another one series that would work well for this. I have read the first 3 books (1 for this challenge) and plan to read a few more this year since they fit so many of the prompts.

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

1) A book with more than 500 pages
13) A book set in a different country
15) A popular author's first book
19) A book based on a true story (this is a bit of a stretch, but the backdrops of several of the books are actual historic events)
29) A book set somewhere you've always wanted to visit
30) A book that came out the year you were born
• Outlander (1991)
• Dragonfly in Amber (1992)
• Voyager (1993)
• Drums of Autumn (1996)
• The Fiery Cross (2001)
34) A book with a love triangle
37) A book with a color in the title
39) A book with magic
40) A graphic novel (not the main series, but apparently there is one)

message 3: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments Hunger games and divergent could both very plausibly be included for book set in the future and Harry Potter has non human characters! Also your "book set the year you were born" list made me feel old :)

message 4: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments This was Nadine's post for the 2016 challenge:

"I was thinking how you could use the whole series for prompts:
Romance in the future (Cinder or Scarlet)
Blue cover (they all have that sheen of blue on the cover)
A book and its prequel (Cinder, Scarlet, and Winter all have prequels - Cress might too but I can't think of it)
Set in Europe (Scarlet)
Can finish in a day - Fairest
Science fiction (any of them would work)
Dystopian (any of them would work)
YA bestseller (any of them, I think)
Based on a fairy tale (again, any of them would work)
Graphic novel - this one may not work out, she is writing a graphic novel that takes place after Winter, but I don't know if it will be published this year."

message 5: by Britt (new)

Britt | 25 comments Game of Thrones:

A New York Times bestseller - A Feast for Crows
A book that's more than 600 pages
A graphic novel
A book that takes place during summer
A book with a blue cover- A Game of Thrones (first book)

message 6: by AF (new)

AF | 325 comments Outlander series- all of them could fit any of these prompts:
a book about an interesting woman; a book set in 2 different time periods; a book on your TBR list for way too long; a best seller from a genre you don't normally read; an audiobook; a book involving travel (time travel); a book where the main character is a different ethnicity than you; a book written by someone you admire; a book from a genre you don't normally read

Specific prompts below:

1. Outlander- first book in a series you haven't read before;
2. Dragonfly in Amber-
3. Voyager-
4. Drums of Autumn- a book with one of the four seasons in the title
5. The Fiery Cross- a book with a red spine
6. A Breath of Snow and Ashes-
7. An Echo in the Bone- a novel set in wartime
8. Written in My Own Heart's Blood- a novel set in wartime
9. Go Tell the Bees That I Am Gone- published in 2017?? One can hope, right?

message 7: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments AF wrote: "Outlander series- all of them could fit any of these prompts:
a book about an interesting woman; a book set in 2 different time periods; a book on your TBR list for way too long; a best seller from..."

Any of them could be a book about travel, but Voyager in particular includes an ocean crossing.

Dragonfly in Amber could also be a book set during wartime, and it is definitely a book set in two time periods (as are several of the others), but it plays a significant part in this book in particular.

Technically Diana Gabaldon uses her maiden name for her writing (her husband's last name escapes me at the moment). It's maybe not quite a pseudonym, but it could count I think.

It's not looking good for GTTBTIAG to be released in 2017, BUT she is releasing an anthology of the novellas about the Outlander world. It's called Seven Stones to Stand or Fall and will be released 6/27/17.

Depending on your definition of wilderness, books 4-6 all take place primarily in the wild mountains of North Carolina. By book 7 things are more settled in the area.

I think all of the books (or at least most of them) are 800+ pages.

And there are several eccentric characters in the books.

So yes, you could easily fill up several prompts with the series if you are so inclined :)

message 8: by Karen (new)

Karen Tillis (karennerdgoddess) | 22 comments I think the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series would work well for at least a few of the prompts. There are 17 books in the series. Some will also fit into the advanced list.

1. A book recommended by a librarian - good chance there are several of these books that would be recommended by your librarian
4. An audiobook - The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency
10. A book with a cat on the cover - The Double Comfort Safari Club (2 lions on the cover)
12. A bestseller from a genre you don't normally read - these I would definitely consider more "cozy" than anything else - there are lots of philosophical themes throughout...the focus is on the characters and culture of Botswana, not really on the mysteries
13. A book by or about a person who has a disability Tears of the Giraffe - first introduction to an important secondary character who is in a wheelchair
14. A book involving travel - The Woman Who Walked in Sunshine - main character goes on vacation/holiday
16. A book that's published in 2017 - Not sure if there will be a 2017 release...
19. A book about food - Tea Time for the Traditionally Built - may be a bit of a stretch, but redbush tea and cake is a focus of the entire series and this one lists tea in the title
23. A book with a red spine - In the Company of Cheerful Ladies - not all editions have a red spine, but several of them do
24. A book set in the wilderness - while the ladies detective agency is set in Gaborone, the capital of Botswana, the immediate surroundings in setting descriptions are that of a rural community (at least in the first books in the series: hut-style homes with dirt floors vs. city dwellings) and much of the caseload is handled in more rural locations
26. A book by an author from a country you've never visited - any of these if you've never been to the UK/Scotland (where he has lived since college) and/or Zimbabwe (where he was born and grew up).
27. A book with a title that's a character's name - Precious and Grace - main character is named Precious and another main character is named Grace
31. A book where the main character is a different ethnicity than you - any of the books if you are not Batswana/Motswana :)
32. A book about an interesting woman - any of the books would qualify. Precious is definitely interesting!
34. A book with a month or day of the week in the title - The Saturday Big Tent Wedding Party
39. The first book in a series you haven't read before - The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency - if you haven't read them!

Advanced list:

2. A bestseller from 2016 Precious and Grace - #7 on the hardcover fiction bestseller list the week of its debut
3. A book with a family member term in the titleThe Good Husband of Zebra Drive
6. A book from a genre/subgenre you've never heard of - considered in the subgenre of "cozy mystery" by some
7. A book with an eccentric character - any (I would consider Precious eccentric in that she is the first and only female detective in all of Botswana

message 9: by poshpenny (new)

poshpenny | 1773 comments Bringing this over from the first in a series thread:

If you are also doing the advanced list this year, and haven't read them all yet, this looks like the perfect year to read some Rick Riordan

The Percy Jackson and the Olympians series is perfect if you are late to the party.
The Lightning Thief - first book in a series you haven't read before
The Sea of Monsters - based on mythology
The Titan's Curse - involving a mythical creature
The Battle of the Labyrinth - red spine
The Last Olympian - novel set during wartime, or an audiobook, bought on a trip or used book sale

I've read those but not the five book spin-off series The Heroes of Olympus, which could be used much the same way.

I also haven't read the Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard series.
The Sword of Summer - first book or season in the title
The Hammer of Thor - based on mythology, 2016 bestseller
The Ship of the Dead - published in 2017

The Kane Chronicles series is three books full of Egyptian gods. I did read these but don't recall if there was a solely mythic "creature." You could count most of the gods if you wanted, I suppose. Bast does spend time in both cat and human form. EDIT: Looked again and yes, there are some mythic creatures.

There is a three book Percy Jackson & Kane Chronicles Crossover series which should work if you've already read everything else.

If you've read everything Riordon, Michael Scott has The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel series. It has 6 books, mostly about alchemy and magic but ancient gods and historical figures also appear. Characters in the series include Scathach, legendary Celtic warrior woman and martial arts teacher; The Morrigan, Crow Goddess of Irish mythology; Bastet, Egypian Cat Goddess; Hekate, Greek Goddess with Three Faces; etc. The second book has a red spine.

Antonia E Iacampo | 15 comments One of the most fascinating things about this challenge is how different everyone's approach is. I think it is awesome that y'all have come up with ways to hit a whole series and still check off lots of prompts. I'm actually approaching with the goal of not using a series more than once in the challenge, just to make it even more of a stretch. So many different ways to approach! :)

message 11: by poshpenny (new)

poshpenny | 1773 comments Yes, it's always so interesting to see what other people choose, and why people hate books I love and vice versa!

I want to stretch, but also read some books that I would just normally want to read. If I leave no room for them, the challenge becomes a chore instead of interesting and fun. It can be hard when you read the first book for a prompt and then need to put the series aside because the rest doesn't fit.

message 12: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (debzanne) | 131 comments For the 2017 challenge, you can read all 4 books in the Finishing School series by Gail Carriger.

1st book, Etiquette & Espionage
2nd book, Curtsies & Conspiracies
3rd book, Waistcoats & Weaponry
4th book, Manners & Mutiny

Suggested categories:
- an audiobook (if you go that route)
- an espionage thriller
- a book with an author who uses a pseudonym (her real name is Tofa Borregaard)
- a book involving travel (I'm only 2 books into the series, but both have required some across-UK travel, and my niece tells me some of the later books go further than that)
- a steampunk novel
- a book involving a mythical creature (vampires & werewolves)
- a book about an interesting woman (several to choose from)
- the first book in a series you haven't read before
- a book you bought on a trip (if that applies)

Challenge prompts:
- a book with an eccentric character

message 13: by Lyra (new)

Lyra (lyratn) | 9 comments That is a fun series. I highly recommend the audio books.

message 14: by Michelle (last edited Sep 14, 2017 04:57AM) (new)

Michelle Rittmann (mlrittmann) | 11 comments poshpenny wrote: "Bringing this over from the first in a series thread:

I also haven't read the Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard series.
The Sword of Summer - first book or season in the title
The Hammer of Thor - based on mythology, 2016 bestseller
The Ship of the Dead - published in 2017"

The Magnus Chase series can also be used for the "A book by or about a person who has a disability" prompt as one of the main characters is deaf. Technically, it can also work for "A book set in a hotel" but, personally, I don't think enough of the action takes place in a "hotel" to qualify.

message 15: by Megan (new)

Megan | 310 comments Beth wrote: "Outlander would be another one series that would work well for this. I have read the first 3 books (1 for this challenge) and plan to read a few more this year since they fit so many of the prompts..."

Yup—I’m using fiery cross ( The next book in the series you started), A breath of snow and ashes (weather element), and an echo in the bone for a past goodreads choice award winner.

message 16: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Carey (nancycarey) For 2018- Cormoran Strike Series by Robert Gilbraith (aka JK Rowling)

The Cuckoo's Calling- by a female author who uses a male pseudonym

The Silkworm- the next book in a series you started

Career of Evil- set in a country that fascinates you (England)

message 17: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Spain (maitribb) | 22 comments Juanita wrote: "This was Nadine's post for the 2016 challenge:

Blue cover (they all have that sheen of blu..."

I've definitely got a couple of the Cinder/Scarlet series on my 2018 list already.

message 18: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 9 comments Victoria wrote: "Juanita wrote: "This was Nadine's post for the 2016 challenge:

Blue cover (they all have t..."

What prompts are you thinking of ticking off on the 2018 list with the Cinder series?

message 19: by Jamie (last edited Jan 04, 2018 03:58PM) (new)

Jamie | 14 comments I want to re-read the Harry Potter series, and figured out some places where they could fit (if I don't specify a book, then any could work in that prompt depending on the reader):

1. A book made into a movie you've already seen
3. The next book in a series you started
4. A book involving a heist (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows; one could also utilize Sorcerer's Stone or Order of the Phoenix, but Deathly Halllows probably fits the prompt the best)
7. A book set in a country that fascinates you
10. A book about death or grief (Goblet of Fire on)
12. A book with an LGBTQ+ protagonist (this one skirts the prompt a little- it isn't a focus to the storyline, but the character is confirmed by the author)
14. A book by an author of a different ethnicity than you
17. A book you borrowed or that was given to you as a gift
20. A book by a local author (if you're located where Rowling is)
23. A book about time travel (Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkahban)
26. A book with an animal in the title (Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix)
30. A book with characters who are twins
32. A book from a celebrity book club (one could argue the Pottermore one fits since Rowling is behind it- I know at last some have been read in a variety of book clubs but did not search for beyond the Pottermore one)
36. A book set in the decade you were born
37. A book you meant to read in 2017 but didn't get to
39. A book that involves a bookstore or library (Sorcerer's Stone, Chamber of Secrets, Goblet of Fire)

Advanced Prompts:
1. A bestseller from the year you graduated high school (the published years were provided earlier in this thread)
3. A book that was being read by a stranger in a public place
4. A book tied to your ancestry
7. A book by an author with the same first or last name as you
10. A book recommended by someone else taking the POPSUGAR Reading Challenge

There may be other prompts one or more of these fit, but those were the ones I noticed going through the list.

message 20: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 3 comments Would The Maze Runner series tie into any of the prompts? I don't know much about the book but my niece loves the movie so I thought I would check the series out.

message 21: by Allie (last edited Jan 26, 2018 07:25AM) (new)

Allie | 56 comments So there is a new series by Katherine Arden called The Winternight Trilogy that would fulfill a few of the 2018 prompts. The third book is being released in Aug, but I’m using all three in the challenge.

26. A book with an animal in the title The Bear and the Nightingale

3. The next book in a series you started The Girl in the Tower

22. A book with alliteration in the title The Winter of the Witch

You can also use the last book for a book published on 2018 (#34)

message 22: by Megan (last edited Jan 26, 2018 07:54AM) (new)

Megan (mghrt06) | 540 comments Amanda wrote: "Would The Maze Runner series tie into any of the prompts? I don't know much about the book but my niece loves the movie so I thought I would check the series out."

I think they have ugly covers (personal opinion).

If you watch the movie before reading you could use that.

Once you read the first book, you can use the second for next book in series started.

I'm not sure if you consider Scorch a weather element (as in scorching heat??) - that might be a stretch but I'm not sure how strict you are with yourself on the categories.

Then I'm sure one of them could fit in to the 2015/2016/2017 Challenge (A.K.A. wild card prompt).

If your niece has one of the books by chance you can "borrow" it from her and use it for that category - borrowed/or gifted to you.

And I could also recommend the series to you so you can use it for the recommended category if you're doing advanced! I read the series a long time ago - just wanting for the new movie to come out!

message 23: by Leona (last edited Jan 27, 2018 05:04AM) (new)

Leona (mnleona) | 195 comments For a series I have read The Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M. Auel and then The Valley of Horses.

The Clan of the Cave Bear also qualifies for a book with an animal in the title.

message 24: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 731 comments Allie wrote: "So there is a new series by Katherine Arden called The Winternight Trilogy that would fulfill a few of the 2018 prompts. The third book is being released in Aug, but I’m using all..."

She’s coming to Denver Comic Con, so I’m now planning to read the first two before June.

message 25: by Allie (new)

Allie | 56 comments Chinook wrote: "Allie wrote: "So there is a new series by Katherine Arden called The Winternight Trilogy that would fulfill a few of the 2018 prompts. The third book is being released in Aug, but..."

That's awesome! They are very good books, I am looking forward to the last one!!

message 26: by Kara (new)

Kara (madhatter360) | 39 comments I've started the October Daye series and it's checking at least 3 books off the list.

Book 1 Rosemary and Rue - alliteration
Book 2 A Local Habitation - second book in a series
Book 3 An Artificial Night - time of day in the title

message 27: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephsls) | 23 comments A song of ice and fire series by George R.R. Martin could work
Any of the books- a book with twins
Any of the books after Game of thrones- the next book in a series you've started
Storm of swords- weather element in the title/alliteration
Feast for crows- animal in the title
Dance with dragons- alliteration

message 28: by Ian (new)

Ian (iansreads) I just read the first Cormoran Strike Novel by Robert Galbraith. This would be great for fans of mysteries, thrillers, and whodunits wanting to tick off a few boxes - there are currently three books: The Cuckoo's Calling, The Silkworm, & Career of Evil.

Any of the books would work for:
A Book by a Female Author Using a Male Pseudonym (these are written by JK Rowling)
A Book Set in a Country that Fascinates You (If you're an Anglophile)

They could also work for:
A Book with an Animal in the Title (Cuckoo & Silkworm)
A Book about Death or Grief (Definitely Cuckoo - maybe others)
A Book with Alliteration in the Title (Cuckoo)
A Book with Song Lyrics in the Title (Career of Evil)
The Next Book in a Series You Started (Career & Silkworm)

There is also an upcoming (no release date yet confirmed) fourth installment called Lethal White. If this book drops before the end of the year (and it seems that it might), this would also work for:
A Book Released in 2018
or
A Book with Your Favorite Color in the Title (If that happens to be white)

message 29: by Tania (last edited Mar 30, 2018 01:34PM) (new)

Tania | 499 comments The Chronicles of Narnia series is another good candidate for this:

- A book made into a movie you've already seen (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe)
- The next book in a series you started (any of them except the first, and the first varies by whether you are reading chronological or reordered)
- A book with a time of day in the title (The Voyage of the Dawn Treader)
- A book about death or grief (you can get there with at least one of them, but I don't want to spoil the books for anyone who hasn't read them)
- A book that is also a stage play or musical (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe)
- A book with your favorite color in the title (The Silver Chair)
- A book about time travel (time is different in Narnia than on Earth, so multiple books in the series work for this)
- A book set at sea (The Voyage of the Dawn Treader)
- A book with an animal in the title (The Horse and His Boy, or The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe)
- A book with characters who are twins (The Horse and His Boy, The Silver Chair, The Last Battle)
- A childhood classic you've never read
- An allegory (controversial - the author says they are not but many people argue that they are)
- A book recommended by someone else taking the POPSUGAR Reading Challenge (recommended by me)

message 30: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments The lionthe witch and the wardrobe would also work as an allegory

message 31: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments I somehow skipped that sentence in your list. Sorry!!

message 32: by Teri (new)

Teri (teria) | 1148 comments I used the Millennium Trilogy for three of the prompts:

5. Nordic noir - The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

12: LGBTQ+ protagonist - The Girl Who Played with Fire

3. Next book in a series - The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest

message 33: by Nikky (new)

Nikky Herschell  | 97 comments You could use hornets nest as animal in the title too :)

message 34: by Natasha (last edited May 01, 2018 09:50AM) (new)

Natasha | 67 comments Chronicles of St. Mary's

Time Travel: Any of them

Next in the Series; any but the first

Involving a Library: Symphony of Echoes

Alteration: A Trail Through Time

Song Lyric: Second Chance

Most of them you fit into Mircro History as well, Second Chance works well here, as they talk a lot about the end of Troy. But there's a ton of examples.

message 35: by SarahKat (new)

SarahKat | 163 comments I think the Throne of Glass series fits this year rather well...

Throne of Glass I picked up for "Author with the same name". The cover of this edition is also ugly (not because the girl is ugly; I just hate photographs of real people on fantasy books.

Crown of Midnight: Time of day in title, Involving bookstore or library (they spend a lot of time there), Death or Grief, Next book in a series

Heir of Fire: Death or Grief, Next book in a series

Queen of Shadows: Past Goodreads choice winner (2015 YA winner), Death or Grief, Next book in a series

(I haven't read past here yet so not sure about thematic prompts for the rest)

Empire of Storms: Weather element in title, Next book in a series, (probably) Death or Grief

Tower of Dawn: Time of day in title, Next book in a series, (probably) Death or Grief

Kingdom of Ash: Published in 2018, Next book, Death or Grief

It's a stretch, but you could say Feminism just because the main character and supporting characters are badass females.

It's another stretch, but you could say Set on a Different Planet if you count fantasy worlds as other planets.

message 36: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1301 comments @Sarahkat - I thought about that as well, only read the first book, so I am planning to read a couple of the series.

message 37: by SarahKat (new)

SarahKat | 163 comments Johanne wrote: "@Sarahkat - I thought about that as well, only read the first book, so I am planning to read a couple of the series."

I honestly didn't like the first book, but they get much better.

message 38: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1301 comments Glad to hear that Sarah.

message 39: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sezziy) | 835 comments I'm currently reading the Temeraire series by Naomi Novik and trying to fit them all in.

Temeraire (Temeraire, #1) by Naomi Novik for ugly book cover

Throne of Jade (Temeraire, #2) by Naomi Novik book set at sea

Black Powder War (Temeraire, #3) by Naomi Novik favourite colour

Empire of Ivory (Temeraire, #4) by Naomi Novik next book in series

Victory of Eagles (Temeraire, #5) by Naomi Novik Animal in title

Tongues of Serpents (Temeraire, #6) by Naomi Novik based on a real person

Crucible of Gold (Temeraire, #7) by Naomi Novik set in a country that fascinates

Blood of Tyrants (Temeraire, #8) by Naomi Novik - TBC

League of Dragons (Temeraire, #9) by Naomi Novik - TBC

message 40: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 17 comments For the prompt "a book that is borrowed or a gift" you can always borrow a book from your neighborhood public library.

message 41: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1301 comments Sarah wrote: "I'm currently reading the Temeraire series by Naomi Novik and trying to fit them all in."

I have too many in my TBR pile and lists, but I was just looking at Throne of Jade (my son is reading them), thinking it is one of my favourite colours, if I should get down to reading this series this year :)

message 42: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephsls) | 23 comments Hello, what prompts would fit the hitchhiker's guide series (including Young zaphod plays it safe)?

message 43: by Christina (last edited Aug 31, 2018 04:09PM) (new)

Christina (christina_owl) | 9 comments I've read too many of them to use this myself, but for anyone looking to get into Terry Pratchett's Discworld:
A book made into a movie you've already seen: if you've ever seen Hogfather or Going Postal, go to town!
A book involving a heist: Men at Arms
A book with a time of day in the title: I Shall Wear Midnight or Night Watch
A book about a villain or antihero: Arguably, any of the Rincewind books
A book about death or grief: Mort or any of the other Death books, and I would throw The Shepherd's Crown in there as well
A book with alliteration in the title: Guards, Guards! or Lords and Ladies
A book about time travel: Night Watch, Last Continent or Thief of Time
A book set at sea: large parts of Jingo are set at sea
A book with an animal in the title: The Fifth Elephant or Hogfather
A book set on a different planet: depends on whether your planet has to be round, I suppose. If not, all of them!
A book with characters who are twins: Thief of Time would be a little bit of a stretch here
A book that is also a stage play or musical: a lot of the books were adapted for the stage, Men at Arms is one off the top of my head
A book about feminism: Monstrous Regiment
A book about or involving a sport: Unseen Academicals
A book mentioned in another book: between the Science and Folklore and Companion books, probably all of them except maybe the most recent
A book with an ugly cover: a lot of the earlier covers are pretty hideous, but that may be just my opinion
A book that involves a bookstore or library: Guards, Guards! features a library pretty heavily

message 44: by Simone (new)

Simone | 2 comments Christina wrote: "I've read too many of them to use this myself, but for anyone looking to get into Terry Pratchett's Discworld:
A book made into a movie you've already seen: if you've ever seen Hogfather or Going P..."

I also checked these out yesterday as I've read quite a number of them this year and wanted to fit them to some promts. Of those already mentioned I'm using:
A book about death or grief: Mort
Alliteration: Lords and Ladies
Bookstore or Library: Guards, Guards! (ALL the libraries! :D )

I can add to Christina's list:
A book about feminism: Equal Rites (it's basically in the title already ^^ )
A book made into a movie you've already seen: The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic
A book about time travel: Wyrd Sisters (correct me if I'm wrong...), Eric
A book with characters who are twins: Witches Abroad (at least I understood it that way... without too many spoilers)
Also, could "Small Gods" be counted as an allegory?

message 45: by Larissa (new)

Larissa | 5 comments Wondering if anyone has ideas on how to fit the outlander series into the 2019 prompts?

message 46: by Tracy (last edited Nov 23, 2018 10:32AM) (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 603 comments Larissa wrote: "Wondering if anyone has ideas on how to fit the outlander series into the 2019 prompts?"

The whole series??? Thats a lot of reading LOL... but well worth it IMO. Wish I had the time to read them all again, I only have the last three left.

Here are places for the first book:
11. A book with an item of clothing or accessory on the cover ( Might be a stretch and not the best place to put it but I believe that the cover has the clans coat of arms on it and part of it is a crown?)
25. A debut novel ( This is her Debut Novel!!!!! OMG)
31. A book about a family (while the later books deal with Claire and Jamies family, this one deals a lot with the clan(s)...a family)
34. A book that includes a wedding ( theres a wedding 😊)
40. Your favorite prompt from a past POPSUGAR Reading challenge ( probably could find something to use here if you felt like looking)
47. Two books that share the same title ( not sure which ones you'd be interested in, but there are at least a few other books out there with this title)
50. A book set in an abbey, cloister, monastery, vicarage, or convent ( part of the first book takes place in a monastery , a small part)

message 47: by Tracy (last edited Nov 23, 2018 10:57AM) (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 603 comments Larissa wrote: "Wondering if anyone has ideas on how to fit the outlander series into the 2019 prompts?"

Possibilities for the entire series:

#1 Outlander- Debut
#2 Dragonfly in Amber- ? meant to read in 2018 ( if you had planned on reading them this year Of course you did 😉 )
#3 Voyager- Accessory ( Brooch on cover)
#4 Drums of Autumn- Favorite prompt past year- 2018 A book about time travel ( and this IS your favorite prompt 😉)
#5 The Fiery Cross- 2 books same title ( w/ The Fiery Cross: The Ku Klux Klan in America - time to suck it up buttercup! or maybe this is really interesting....)
#6 A Breath of Snow and Ashes-Made into a movie 2019 ( if you want to stretch to TV series, season 5 & 6 are coming out around May 2019)
#7 An Echo in the Bone- Plant on the cover ( theres a leaf - it came off of a plant)
#8 Written in My Own Heart's Blood- Book about a family
AND....
From her website the next book #9 Go Tell The Bees That I Am Gone, should be coming out in 2019, theres a prompt for that too :-)

message 48: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Hey all! I'm hoping to read the Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare this upcoming year, and potentially her other works as well (The Bane Chronicles, The Infernal Devices, etc.). Does anyone have any advice as to which prompts they might fit for the 2019 challenge?

message 49: by Johanne (last edited Nov 29, 2018 02:10AM) (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1301 comments Amanda wrote: "Hey all! I'm hoping to read the Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare this upcoming year, and potentially her other works as well (The Bane Chronicles, The Infernal Devices, etc.). Does anyo..."

I haven´t read them (yet), but here is a couple ideas you could use:
-Same letter in first and last name
-There are other titles called "City of Glass" like City of Glass - if you want to use it as one of your "two books with the same title"
-Pretty sure there are imaginery creatures, people with super powers and maybe also ghosts in there? Maybe someone else can confirm this.
- you can definitely find a favourite prompt from past years that fit.
- City of Bones is her debut, so there´s that
- if you want to read the Magisterium series as well, they are written with Holly Black, so two women authors.
- I don´t know how much is based on folklore etc., but that might also be a possibility

message 50: by Karla (last edited Feb 02, 2019 12:11PM) (new)

Karla | 3 comments It looks like people have used the Harry Potter series for 2015 and 2018, but this is my first year trying a reading challenge, so I'm going to see how many ways I can get the Harry Potter series to fit into 2019's prompts. Please add any prompts that I miss!

2. A book that makes you nostalgic (all)
5. A book with at least one million ratings on Goodreads (all)
7. A reread of a favorite book (all)
12. A book inspired by mythology, legend, or folklore (elements of all, but especially book #1)
19. A debut novel (#1)
21. A book featuring an extinct or imaginary creature (all, but especially books #2, 3, and 4)
32. A book about someone with a superpower (all, if you think of magic as a superpower)
39. A book revolving around a puzzle or game (#1 for puzzle, #4 for game)
40. Your favorite prompt from a past POPSUGAR Reading Challenge (all, since this could include just about anything)
BONUS:
49. A book that has inspired a common phrase or idiom (all, for phrases like He-who-must-not-be-named, Hogwarts Houses, "I solemnly swear I am up to no good," or single words like muggle and quidditch)

Did I miss any or get anything wrong? It's been about 3 years since I last reread Harry Potter, so it is high time for a reread!

EDITED to add:
14. A book you see someone reading in TV or in a movie: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (#7) was read by Miranda's twins in The Devil Wears Prada.

« previous 1