Start by marking “To Sir Phillip, With Love (Bridgertons, #5)” as Want to Read:
To Sir Phillip, With Love (Bridgertons, #5)

To Sir Phillip, With Love

(Bridgertons #5)

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  77,595 ratings  ·  5,045 reviews
an alternate cover edition can be found here

Sir Phillip knew from his correspondence with his dead wife's distant cousin that Eloise Bridgerton was a spinster, and so he'd proposed, figuring that she'd be homely and unassuming, and more than a little desperate for an offer of marriage. Except . . . she wasn't. The beautiful woman on his doorstep was anything but quiet, and
Published August 25th 2009 by Avon (first published July 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about To Sir Phillip, With Love, please sign up.
Wal Lajoia It can be. However, if you think you might interested in the whole series, I would recommend reading them in order. You get spoilers about the other s…moreIt can be. However, if you think you might interested in the whole series, I would recommend reading them in order. You get spoilers about the other siblings and their relationships if you don't. Not that huge of a deal given that these are all romances so you kind of know what will happen... but probably a better reading experience for the book collective. (less)
Rowena Mohammed Yes it is available on Recorded Books. I found a copy at the NY Public Library through Overdrive. In general I love the narrarator, Rasalynd Landor, e…moreYes it is available on Recorded Books. I found a copy at the NY Public Library through Overdrive. In general I love the narrarator, Rasalynd Landor, except for when she does the leading male voices in passion. I find her passionate male very overdone and annoying. But otherwise I love her narration.(less)

·  77,595 ratings  ·  5,045 reviews

Start your review of To Sir Phillip, With Love (Bridgertons, #5)
Jacob Proffitt
This is fifth in the series and the couples from the others show up periodically in this one. They aren't terribly important, though, so this one is relatively self-contained. It's probably good if you've read Romancing Mister Bridgerton, though.

Wow was this one a waste of time. I definitely expected better characterization for Eloise but she's mostly just generic Regency girl with a side of "doesn't she talk a lot?" Phillip, on the other hand, is a self-centered snot-weasel and never actually g
Trace
Mar 12, 2012 rated it did not like it
Fuck off, Sir Philip, fuck off fuck off fuck off.
~Poppy~
Jan 13, 2021 rated it really liked it
3.75 Stars
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
I don't have the best track record with the Bridgertons series (I know, blasphemy), but I'm making my way through all of my unread books in the series prior to the release of the Netflix series. Yes, I am very excited for the show even if I have had mixed results with the books. It's a show based off of a romance series! I feel like a proud mama.

So where does To Sir Phillip, With Love fall in my Bridgerton scale? Squarely in the middle.

I liked the story, even a lot at times, but I kept frownin
Christy
Apr 16, 2021 rated it really liked it

I couldn’t wait to get to Eloise Bridgerton’s story. She’s one of my favorite characters throughout the books and I loved this one!

Eloise is a twenty eight year old spinster, and after her best friend/fellow spinster gets engaged, she starts to feel some kind of way. She’s been corresponding by letter to her distant cousin’s widow, and when he suggests marriage, she thinks something she never thought before… maybe. Just maybe.

Eloise goes to see Sir Phillip Crane and is surprised to
Jessica
TW for child abuse and suicide.

I really enjoyed this one! This might be my second favorite? Maybe third behind The Duke and I. I really loved how Phillip was a single father and how he needed a mother for his children. He was a damaged hero and had no idea how to even be around his own children. As always, the prologue was heartbreaking.

I loved the overbearing brothers and the family scenes in this one! I also adored Phillip's children and how Eloise interacted with them. Eloise was a fun char
Em Lost In Books
Another fun read and Phillip was the third hero, after Simon and Anthony, where daddy played a big role in how their life. Sadly it was bad influence here and innocent kids had to suffer. In all three books, this influence played a huge part in some of the vital decisions that our heroes took and it felt a little repetitive
Alexis
May 05, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: romance
This was never going to be more than just a two-star book for me. The plot was lackluster, and the main characters were bland at best. There was neither wit in their dialogue nor sparkle in their relationship, and for an awfully large chunk of the book I was almost bored.

But what really pushed this over the edge was a little blurb at the book’s climax. Eloise had rightly pointed out some flaws in her and Phillip’s relationship. Instead of listening to her concerns, Phillip had a nice little tan
Anne
Wow. This was a weird one.
I was looking forward to Eloise's book because she always seemed so unconventional and spunky. So, for her to kind of end up getting married off rather quietly to a guy who reallyreallyreally wanted a mother for his children. And all because she suddenly decided she didn't want to be alone? Well, it didn't make my heart go pitty-pat.

description

Plus, Eloise is annoying. Like, so annoying and bossy. She never shuts up, and she has an opinion on everything. And we're supposed to find
Karen
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing

"...any day with you."

Wow. I did not expect to fall in love with this book so much. But that ending... that freakin' ending just blew me away. What a sad existence Sir Phillip lived. And I'll have to be honest, I did not like this man very much. Not until the very end. But boy oh boy did he blow my knickers off at the end. I had planned on taking a break with the series after this book. But now... I think I must move forward. I am humbled Ms Quinn by your ability to spin a story.

Kit
Jun 28, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Argh

Phillip was awful. It's so nice to hear that he had such a difficult time with his depressed wife, who he resented. That depressed people aren't worth it, and make everyone else's lives miserable too. That we're selfish.

He was terrible to Eloise too.

Eloise was great, though. Except when she was excusing Phillip.
Dana
Aug 14, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: unfinished
Phrynne
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Book five and it is Eloise's turn to find her life partner. We had lots of indications in the previous book who it might be but not of the amazing way Eloise would set things in motion.

Georgette Heyer would turn over in her grave at the lack of chaperones but at least this set things up for an amazing and very funny scene when all the brothers turn up together to defend Eloise's honour. There were a lot of sad moments too, especially when the children were involved. Quinn actually wrote this ve
Mo
Aug 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars ...

Out of all the romance books that I read, I think it is the Historical genre that always leaves me with a warm feeling once I finish a book ... I have no idea why. Maybe it is the fact that most of the time the Hero and Heroine have to overcome so many protocols and society structures to get to their "happy ever after"! God forbid that a "commoner" could marry a Duke or Duchess. Pass me the smelling salts!!

I loved Eloise in the previous books and wanted her to meet the love of her l
Eastofoz
Sep 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Readers who love the Bridgertons or a well-written romance that will make you feel just plain happy
Quinn hits another 5 stars with this latest addition to the Bridgerton series. It’s brilliantly written, fun, funny, serious and heart-warming all at the same time with a nice dollop of steam to go with it ;)

The novel starts out with Eloise Bridgerton’s quest to find a husband because she’s feeling spinsterish at the ripe old age of 28. Everything starts when she sends out a standard condolence note to her cousin’s husband. After corresponding for some time he decides he wants to meet her and th
Korrie’s Korner
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
How is it that with each of these books I fall deeper, and more madly in love with these characters. I always knew Eloise Bridgerton was special. This book just took my heart, and meshed it into something beautiful. I have laughed, cried, clutched my chest, and just hugged this book at times throughout my reading journey. The Bridgerton brothers, I can assure you brought on all the chuckles with those protective big brother vibes, and one younger.

“Men. The day they learned to admit to a mistake
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

My Review

Well, what is there to say that hasn’t already been said? This is yet another fun installment of the Bridgerton series. I enjoyed the storyline, as it was different from the others, more unique – a nice change of pace from the usual plot in so many of today’s Historical Romances.

*sigh* I really, really loved Sir Phillip. What a tortured soul! What a brave man! What a sexy hunk of man-flesh. *sigh*

Eloise, with her common sense ways and affection for children which comes from being part
☘ Lily ☘

I think we all know what drives me to continue on this series again.

Anyhow, I've got to say that I'm pretty much underwhelmed by this addition to the series. I was bored throughout the book. Like, even the banter between the Bridgertons brought tears of boredom in my eyes.

The only thing that won me over was the conflict resolution. That little talk Philip gave Eloise about don't complain about the kind of marriage they have was, to be honest, the kind of theme I hope the book carried th
Sara
Mar 06, 2021 rated it it was ok
I think this is where i leave this series.
This was my least favourite of the books i've read by far and i have absolutely no interest in the other Bridgerton siblings.
Ms. Smartarse
At 28, Eloise Bridgerton is a spinster by choice. As in she chose to reject all six of her marriage proposals, wishing to save herself for that most elusive perfect relationship.

Assured of her best friend's company, Eloise doesn't really view spinsterhood as a burden. But then said bestie gets herself hitched to one of Eloise's very own brothers (see Romancing Mister Bridgerton), so needs must.
Unbeknownst to any of her friends and family, Eloise had been secretly corresponding with her late cous
[Aengell]
May 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
And this is said to be one of the not-so books in the series?

I loved it! Phillip was a flawed, traumatized, silent and brooding hero, just like I like them. Eloise was like a heroine by Julia Quinn should be: strong, stubborn, talking a little bit too much, but in the end endearing as ever. Together, these two were a well-fitting couple, and I felt myself very much invested in their romance, seeing that it was just adorable.

The twins were a delight to read about, and the relationship to their
Giselle Bradley
DNF'd 25% wow this is a mess. Our "hero" describes raping his wife but he feels really bad afterwards. I don't care if he feels bad. I don't want to read about him what a scummy scummy scum bag. I also don't feel like the depression was handled well in this book. And content warnings for attempted suicide. Which has a horrible pun made about it which was supposed to be romantic??!! Like I said, this is a mess and I hate it a whole lot. ...more
Exina
An amazing installment of the Bridgertons series again!

It deals with serious issues such as depression, suicide, grief, guilt. The characters struggle with real problems, and ambivalent feelings. Ambivalence makes this novel so real, because feelings and relationships are never black or white. The tone of the story mirrors this: it's light and humorous, but also serious and heartbreaking.

I loved Phillip's character. He is so lonely. He suffers from the memory of his painful childhood, and suffo
Al George
Straight up: Phillip is a big d!ck. There, said it. Moving forward but not on.

punch

That's Sir P's throat at the end of my punch.

Read this as part of a series challenge over on the Historical Romance group. Two left in this series and I'm done. Bam.

Series: See aforementioned wording please.

Sexy times: Once with allusions to other times. This is JQ, folkes.

clean

Plan on reading more by the author: See aforementioned comments.

Synopsis Sir P, the useless, has two kids, a dead wife and no idea how to go ab
Caz
I've given this an A+ for narration and an A- for content at AudioGals.

This fifth instalment in Julia Quinn’s Bridgerton series is one of the books I have somehow not got around to reading, and which, for some reason I can’t remember, I had thought to be one of the weaker books in the series. This new audio version has laid that misconception firmly to rest however, and is, I think, now one of my favourites of the set. To Sir Phillip With Love is perhaps not as light-hearted as many of the autho
♥Sharon♥
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing

“I think I’ve waited my entire life for you.”

I'm sure I am repeating myself here but I adore this series! Julia Quinn's writing is delightful. Her characters are even more so.

Sir Phillip may not be that hero that most would immediately fall in love with but I did. I cannot pinpoint why exactly. I just knew there was more to him than that tough exterior he put forth.

Sweet funny rambling Eloise. Everyone adored her. I sure did.

Sir Phillip and Eloise's story was a joy to read. I love
Cyndi
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Back in the olden days Facebook messaging was done through the mail. Our heroine sends a condolence letter to the husband of her cousin when she passed. He writes back and the two become pen pals. Years pass and our heroine is officially 'on the shelf.' Our hero decides he needs a wife and a mother for his children. He sends an invitation to our heroine to come to his home in the country and see if they can get along.
When our heroine unexpectedly takes him up on the offer their love story begi
❦ jazmin
“He shook his head in wonder. "You are magnificent."

"I keep telling everyone that," she said with a nonchalant shrug, "But you seem to be the only one to believe me.”

Unfortunately, this book let me down quite a bit :( I was really expecting to love it because Eloise was an amazing character in both the show and the previous books, and the premise for this book sounded intriguing, but for some reason I just didn’t get attached to Eloise, Phillip, or their romance. Oh well.

Eloise wasn’t by an
valee
Jan 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Owww! Wow! I have to say that Julia Quinn did it again. I adored this book. It was so good that I finished it in 8 hours and read it without stopping. I believe this has been the best book in the series so far. I know most of you won't agree but IMHO it was much better than the first 4 books. Books 1 and 2 were amazing but this one just got me sobbing many times, LOL.

Phillip and Eloise were such an amazing couple, just perfect for each other, exactly what they needed. The chemistry between both

• Bokskåpets hemlighet
  • Ett oväntat arv
  • Juni, juli, halva augusti
  • Slightly Tempted (Bedwyn Saga, #4)
  • Slightly Sinful (Bedwyn Saga, #5)
  • A Kiss for Midwinter (Brothers Sinister, #1.5)
  • The Bride (Lairds' Fiancées, #1)
  • Kalla, vita vinternätter (Cilla Storm, #3)
  • Mi Orgullo y tus Prejuicios
  • The Countess Conspiracy (Brothers Sinister, #3)
  • When Beauty Tamed the Beast (Fairy Tales, #2)
  • Julen enligt Julia
  • The Raven Prince (Princes Trilogy, #1)
  • Slightly Wicked (Bedwyn Saga, #2)
  • Mitt hemliga liv
  • Wicked and the Wallflower (The Bareknuckle Bastards, #1)
  • Where Dreams Begin
  • The Heiress Effect (Brothers Sinister, #2)
See top shelves…
#1 New York Times bestselling author Julia Quinn loves to dispel the myth that smart women don't read (or write) romance, and and if you watch reruns of the game show The Weakest Link you might just catch her winning the $79,000 jackpot. She displayed a decided lack of knowledge about baseball, country music, and plush toys, but she is proud to say that she aced all things British and literary, an ...more

Bridgertons (8 books)
  • The Duke and I (Bridgertons, #1)
  • The Viscount Who Loved Me (Bridgertons, #2)
  • An Offer From a Gentleman (Bridgertons, #3)
  • Romancing Mister Bridgerton (Bridgertons, #4)
  • When He Was Wicked (Bridgertons, #6)
  • It's in His Kiss (Bridgertons, #7)
  • On the Way to the Wedding (Bridgertons, #8)