Start by marking “An Offer From a Gentleman (Bridgertons, #3)” as Want to Read:
An Offer From a Gentleman (Bridgertons, #3)

An Offer From a Gentleman

(Bridgertons #3)

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  36,611 ratings  ·  2,070 reviews
Will she accept his offer before the clock strikes midnight?

Sophie Beckett never dreamed she'd be able to sneak into Lady Bridgerton's famed masquerade ball—or that "Prince Charming" would be waiting there for her! Though the daughter of an earl, Sophie has been relegated to the role of servant by her disdainful stepmother. But now, spinning in the strong arms of the
Mass Market Paperback, 390 pages
Published October 13th 2009 by Avon (first published July 1st 2001)

·  36,611 ratings  ·  2,070 reviews

Start your review of An Offer From a Gentleman (Bridgertons, #3)
Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession
4.5 Love at first sight Stars

Going into An offer from a Gentleman I was a bit worried. I had a friend tell me that Benedict (the hero) ask Sophie (the heroine) to be his mistress over and over for most of the book. That he went on about how she wasn't of his class. She had told me it ruined the read for her. I hate that mistress bullshit in books. It's one of the reasons I avoided most historical romance novels for years. I hate cheating! A mistress is just a side chick, that wasn't good
Katerina
Hi, my name is Katerina and I am addicted to Bridgertons.

I've been dreaming of balls, banquets and gowns since I was a little girl, historical romance is my sanctuary from the small and big disappointments of daily life (i.e. work - read - sleep - repeat), and during 2018 I've written more 3star reviews than my entire life.
I would appreciate some help.

Thank you.
“In her heart she longed for this man, dreamed of a life that could never be.”

Now, before I start rambling on the wonderful moments
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

*Unpopular opinion ahead!!!*

I have one thing to say: SCREW YOU, BENEDICT BRIDGERTON!

I'll be the first to admit that I was really, really enjoying this story at the start. I mean, I adore Rosalyn Landor, who is a narrating queen, and I like Julia Quinn, who is very consistent for me. However, as I moved further and further along in the story, I realized that I wanted to punch Benedict in the face... hard.

Benedict treats Sophie like utter trash. He blackmails her to either become his mistress
Phrynne
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 4000-books
I am loving this series and this is my favourite so far! Sophie and Benedict are such charming characters and I loved the banter between the two of them.
The story is a retelling of Cinderella, right down to the wicked step mother, the sisters (not ugly although one has an ugly nature!) and having to leave the ball on the stroke of midnight. I enjoyed every minute of it especially when Araminta gets her just desserts.
The Bridgertons are such a wonderful family it is fun whenever they appear. I am
Shawna
Re-read/listened to the audiobook version Oct'2018:

5 stars – Historical/Regency Romance

The audiobook narrator was fabulous! Overall, it's still a 5-star read for me, but the heroine's refusal to just tell the hero her secret drove me nuts!

Original Review from Sept'2010:

5+ stars – Historical/Regency Romance

An Offer From a Gentleman might be a Cinderella-like story, but it’s much more than just a fairytale remake. For me, this is the epitome of everything I love about romance and happily ever
Eastofoz
Sep 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Regency romance lovers / Tammy
Excellent! Excellent! Excellent! This is a fantastic read! Quinn’s best so far for me. She has an amazing way to draw you into the story from the first few pages and you’re smiling from the get-go right up to the end :) She even manages to take you on a sudden heart-breaking emotional roller coaster ride that really gives you the chills and makes you want to cry for the h/h as a couple. This contrasts so well with the rest of the light-hearted story making the situation all the more poignant.

Exina
Absolutely flawless! It is one of my favorites of the series, also got a place of my all-time favorites shelf!

It is a Cinderella story with charming characters, perfect plot and character delineation, twists and turns, adorable and moving romantic scenes, sweet and funny moments.

Although it is based on a fairy tale, the emotions and relationships are presented in a realistic way.

I love Benedict, he is my favorite Bridgerton! He is persevering, sincere, and very romantic. I love his humor, his
KatieV
Dec 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Solid 4 stars. My favorite of the series (from what I've read).

Again, I listened to the excellent narration by Rosalyn Landor. No complaints there.

**** SPOILERS ****

This was definitely a Cinderella story. A nod is even given to the slippers Sophie wore to the ball, but with a twist. There was enough angst here to take the story out of Disney territory and into the realm of an adult fairy tale.

Sophie was the unacknowledged daughter of an Earl. The product of his dalliance with a house maid who
Erika
Dec 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fairy tale romance readers
Stepback cover

"I can live with you hating me," he said to the closed door. "I just can't live without you"

The Duke and I gave us a sweet romance, The Viscount Who Loved Me gave us a hilarious one, and An Offer From a Gentleman gave us a magical one.

This third book of the series is about love at the first sight that strike you like a thunderbolt and haunt you for the rest of your life. It happens to Benedict Bridgerton when he sees the beauty in silver gown with radiant smile at the
Jen
As much as I enjoyed it, I think this was my least favorite of the series. Sophie’s no Hyacinth and Benedict’s no Colin, not that that’s a necessity, but it felt like the story moved a little slower than some of the other books I’ve read from this series.

Still, my half hearted love for An Offer from a Gentlemen is still stronger than the meh stuff I’ve been reading and when it comes down to it, I just can’t find it in my heart to give any Bridgerton less than 4 stars.
♥  Sam ♥ ~S2~Im made of awesomness
Whenever reading a Julia Quinn novel, it's always an all nighter for me! Forget the family, forget dinner? The only thing that would get my eyes unglued from the pages, would be a life and death emergency.

An Offer from a Gentleman has characters that are full of spunk and fire. This was the perfect Cinderella story that is tried and true. Except in this Cinderella story she is able to keep her wits about herself and remain practical except when both our hero and Cinderella come in contact with
Zain Otoom
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This one was adorable, sweet and, specifically the first hundred pages, enchanting.
Melisa
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Update 6/20/19: Just in! Julie Andrews will be the voice of Lady Whistledown in the Netflix series!

If the upcoming Netflix series is going to be even half as good as the books, we are in for a real treat.
[Aengell]
Jun 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing

This is magic in it's true form, and it's the main reason why people read.

I know that many of my friends here on Goodreads don't like stories where the hero and heroine fall in love at first sight, but when I read a story like this one, I can say exactly why I love this theme.

It just has to be done in the most realistic way, and only very few authors capture a realistic angle. But Julia Quinn? Wow.
Not only do I believe the love at first sight between Sophie and Benedict from Moment Nr. 1 on,
♥Sharon♥
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing

“It suddenly made sense. Only twice in his life had he felt this inexplicable, almost mystical attraction to a woman. He’d thought it remarkable, to have found two, when in his heart he’d always believed there was only one perfect woman out there for him.

His heart had been right. There was only one.”

I so enjoyed this one! I'm rather smitten with this family. The Bridgertons are quite the bunch. I adore them all!

Benedict and Sophie's story will warm your heart. It did mine. I haven't
Rane
On one faithful night Benedict Bridgerton fell in love with a masked woman in silver at no less then at a masquerade ball. She took his breathe away, and stole his heart when the clock stuck midnight and she ran away never to been seen again by him. Even with two years passing he somehow always held out hope he could find her again and feel that strong emotion she ignited in him that night, but when she comes across a helpless maid in need of help, he can’t help but feel he knows her from ...more
Nadine Jones
I like Julia Quinn, I really do, but this was not her finest moment. Looking back on "Bridgertons" #1 & #2, maybe this just is not her finest series. This book was so ... blah. And the hero was such an ASS. On the plus side, it was nice that the heroine was not from conventional society, she is the bastard daughter of an earl, raised as his ward until his death, at which point she is Cinderella to the evil stepmother and two step-sisters. (She even secretly goes to a ball, meets the hero, ...more
Jacob Proffitt
Oct 22, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: audiobook, romance, steamy
This is third in the Bridgertons series. Couples from the first two show up and some events are referenced and there are definite winks at those who have read the others. In all, I recommend reading these in order.

Normally, I'd snark about skipping this one because it sucks, but I'm a definite outlier in that opinion. Most of my GR friends rated this very high so you might want to take this review with a grain of salt. Or more. I'll admit that I'm relieved that my problem isn't related to the
Catarina
4,5 Gentle Stars

Benedict (yes, the second brother.) meets a mysterious girl at a masquerade party. They fell in love in one night. Only for her to disappear at midnight to never be heard again.
He looks for her, but he doesn’t find her again and somehow she took his heart with her.

description

Two years later a sassy maid make Benedict heart beat again. Along with an unusual friendship they also fall in love. But not only they are from different social circles (and that was apparently a huge thing in the
Curlyhairlass19
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Julia Quinn has ruined me.

I am floating, and I don’t want to be disturbed. This blissful feeling is what Julia Quinn makes me feel with each book that I finish. Benedict and Sophie were absolutely perfect. Sophie, Being below his station didn’t stop Benedict from knowing exactly what he wanted. An obsession/love sickness that started over two years ago at a masquerade ball, left Benedict completely “love stoned.” Sophie, being there on the downlow because she was a servant and all, added such a
Karen
Jan 12, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 STARS

Ok... where to begin? I will start by saying that I did end up really liking this story by the end. But, I did have quite of few issues with it along the way.

First of all, it's one thing to create a "Cinderella story" and quite another to practically copy one. In fact, the story was so close to the original that I nearly put it down several times. I only kept going, because I was curious where she would take it, and because I've really enjoyed the series so far and hoped to continue
Christie«SHBBblogger»
I'm not sure why I rated this three stars the first time I read it (eight years ago) but I'm totally in love this re-read. Definitely my top favorite of the series so far!
Al George
Not the Quinn I expected

Setting / Time / Genre: Regency England

Length: 421 pages.

Series: You bet. And I plan on reading every single one.

Sexy times: A couple. Normal Quinn stuff, nothing earth shattering or anything that should scare you off.

Plan on reading more by the author: Yeppers.

Synopsis in one sentence or slightly more: Heroine is a bastard, there I said it. She's spent the better part of her adult life slaving to her evil step monster and at least one evil step sinister. The other
Tammy
Sep 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An Offer From a Gentleman definitely takes its inspiration from Cinderella, but it is still a sweet story with lovable characters written in JQ's own witty style.

Sophie is sweet and spunky. Benedict is a hopeless romantic. Together they make a very charming couple. I loved that Benedict spent three years searching for Sophie after their initial meeting at the masquerade ball.

The confrontation between Benedict's mother, Violet Bridgerton, and Araminta (Sophie's wicked step-mother) when Violet
Book Wonderland
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
description

The 1st part was a cute Cinderella story, I loved it, but the 2nd part was even better!
I really, really enjoyed Benedict's story!

description

I'm very curious about the next book, because it's Colin's story, and he is my favorite Bridgerton, hope it will be good!
Jasmin
Aug 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to experience a flutter in her chest
UTTERLY ROMANTIC. An Offer from a Gentleman is a fairy tale retelling, but what makes it better than a fairy tale is that this fairy tale may have or can come true.

Once upon a time, there lived a girl named Sophie Becket, who is our Cinderella. She’s a bastard child by the earl of Penwood. She is neither recognized nor thrown out, but is known as the earl’s ward. But everyone can see that she’s a bastard, her eyes, hair and everything about her tells it out aloud, but nobody points that fact
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish
Feb 17, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves Ever After, Cinderella and other similar fairytales.

My Review – Short and Sweet

Starting out with the delightful feel of the fairytales Ever After and Cinderella, Julia Quinn’s An Offer From A Gentleman quickly takes on a magical life of its own and becomes another ‘feel good’ installment of the Bridgerton series! The charm of Benedict and Sophie along with the chance to revisit the other Bridgertons has made this one my favorite of the series so far.
Ezinwanyi
Another great addition to the Bridgerton Series

I have to admit, the Cinderella trope is not one of my favorite fairy tale retelling. But this one is definitely one of the best I've read.
Sophia Beckett was the illegitimate daughter of the Earl of Penwood whom he claimed as a ward but didn't really acknowledge her in any meaningful way.
When the Earl remarried, his new wife Countess Araminta brought her two daughters Rosamund and Posy into the household and quickly put Sophia on notice as to her
Amy | Foxy Blogs
A Cinderella retelling!

Cinderella, dressed in yellow
Went upstairs to kiss her fellow
Made a mistake
And kissed a snake
How many doctors
Did it take?
1, 2, 3, 4, 5...

Like this jump-rope rhyme from childhood, most readers know the Cinderella fairytale. I really loved this rendition of the fairytale. The story made me laugh, and at times it made me feel upset for the characters. Basically what I'm saying is I had the feels with this story.

I was here for this love story!!!

An Offer From a Gentleman is
Sam (AMNReader)
Oh, #2 Bridgerton indeed. As in the shit one.

Benedict sucked. Sure he was sentimental. Sweet to his family, but this book about his chase and threat to Sophie's station and life are not what I like in my heroes.

Yet I did not hate reading it so it gets a 2. Which feels appropriate.

• Tempt Me at Twilight (The Hathaways, #3)
  • Love in the Afternoon (The Hathaways, #5)
  • Scandal in Spring (Wallflowers, #4)
  • Married By Morning (The Hathaways, #4)
  • It Happened One Autumn (Wallflowers, #2)
  • Devil in Winter (Wallflowers, #3)
  • Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake (Love By Numbers, #1)
  • Mine Till Midnight (The Hathaways, #1)
  • Secrets of a Summer Night (Wallflowers, #1)
  • Seduce Me at Sunrise (The Hathaways, #2)
  • Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a Lord (Love By Numbers, #2)
  • Dreaming of You (The Gamblers of Craven's, #2)
  • Eleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart (Love By Numbers, #3)
  • Marrying Winterborne (The Ravenels, #2)
  • One Good Earl Deserves a Lover (The Rules of Scoundrels, #2)
  • The Wallflower Wager (Girl Meets Duke, #3)
  • A Rogue by Any Other Name (The Rules of Scoundrels, #1)
  • A Week to Be Wicked (Spindle Cove, #2)
#1 New York Times bestselling author Julia Quinn loves to dispel the myth that smart women don't read (or write) romance, and and if you watch reruns of the game show The Weakest Link you might just catch her winning the $79,000 jackpot. She displayed a decided lack of knowledge about baseball, country music, and plush toys, but she is proud to say that she aced all things British and literary, ...more

Bridgertons (8 books)
  • The Duke and I (Bridgertons, #1)
  • The Viscount Who Loved Me (Bridgertons, #2)
  • Romancing Mister Bridgerton (Bridgertons, #4)
  • To Sir Phillip, With Love (Bridgertons, #5)
  • When He Was Wicked (Bridgertons, #6)
  • It's in His Kiss (Bridgertons, #7)
  • On the Way to the Wedding (Bridgertons, #8)

His heart had been right. There was only one.”
173 likes
“In her heart she longed for this man, dreamed of a life that could never be.” 66 likes