What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Boy enters a painting, comes to another world [s]

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mojo (last edited Dec 01, 2015 06:34AM) (new)

Mojo | 8 comments SOLVED! Here's the book if anyone's looking: Shamran - den som kommerGeneral info: I read this book in early 2000, more specifically 2003-2005. I'm not entirely sure what age group it was actually aimed at, since it had some pretty dark themes with a lot of death (more about that in storyline, also I was only ten back then so I might think it was darker then it actually was) but if I'd have to guess I'd say older kids/teen (so MG or YA then). It was a fiction/fantasy. I'd guess it was published in either the 80's or 90's since the cover looked pretty worn. OBS, there's a very small chance the book is Swedish, just as a heads up. The book was a "normal" paper book, not a e-book.

Cover: As I remember it the cover featured the dark silhouette of a buff man standing on a cliff with a light blue background.Once again, this was the Swedish edition so it might not be the same in the English edition (if there is one :/)

Storyline: The book starts out in a smaller town, associated with the name "Cauldron" or "Bucket" because of its shape. It focuses on a family with a mom, dad and either one or two kids. The main person of the story is the son of the family. Very early on in the book there's a major storm, which causes the town to flood over completely (not completely sure about that part). The family escapes, and moves to a new house. Our main person gets a room on his own, in which there's a painting of a ocean shore (the painting could also been given to him slightly later on). The next thing that happens is that its the boys birthday, in which he gets his favorite dish, which is turtle soup (either fake or real). Why the heck I remember that but not the title of the dang book baffles me lol. Anyway, shortly after the boy notices that the previously mentioned painting is slowly changing. Every day two characters (I'm not sure how they looked like, but I have a vague memory of thinking of them as garden gnomes or some other shorter humanoid fantasy creature) slowly comes closer and closer to the frame. As they eventually reach the frame, they start talking to the boy. They then take him with them, into the scene of the painting. After walking over some sort of pathway across the ocean, the reach land, which is in a older fashion (medieval like) and all of a sudden the boy is a grown man. Like, from one second to the other. The rest of the book is a lot more vague, but I do know that there are a lot of characters introduced, and that several of them are followed simultaneously. Like in one chapter they follow one persons story-line, in the next another one. I also remember that the majority if not all of them gets killed/dies, except the main characther. There's also something about a tower and dungeons. There is also some sort of evil antagonist which the main character fights and defeats in the end. I could be wrong, but as I remember it the book ends with that the main character travels back across the ocean and home again.

I really, really hope someone knows what this book is, I've been trying to find it for the past weeks without any luck whatsoever :(

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4843 comments Do you remember the time period the story takes place?

message 3: by SparksofEmber (new)

SparksofEmber | 943 comments Or anything else about the plot? You've got a lot of the intro/setup but not much of the body of the book. Was it part of a series? Did time pass at home while he was gone? Why did they need him to come to their world?

message 4: by Mojo (new)

Mojo | 8 comments @Tab: The intro when he is in the "normal" world takes place in modern time, so around the time the book was written I suppose. The part in the other world seems to be some sort of medieval setting, but I dont remember enough to be sure :/

@SparksofEmber: My memories of the main and the later parts of the book are extremly vague :( I dont think any time had passed when he got back home. I doubt it would be a part of a series, but it might be!(Kind of hope it is because I'd love to read the rest :) )

message 5: by SparksofEmber (last edited Jan 30, 2015 12:35PM) (new)

SparksofEmber | 943 comments Probably not it but just in case: The Summer Tree

Also, try checking this listopia: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...
Or maybe something by Raymond E. Feist

message 6: by Mojo (new)

Mojo | 8 comments @SparksofEmber: No, sadly its not The Summer Tree :( Thanks for the tips though! I'm gonna have a thorough look trough that list and cross my thumbs for that I'll find it there :D

message 7: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4843 comments a stretch, as this book seems more humorous
Eric in the Land of the Insects

message 8: by Mojo (new)

Mojo | 8 comments @Tab: That one was pretty close! The first one since I started searching that actually is about a boy entering a painting :D But no, it's not the right one sadly :( Thanks for the tip anyway! :)

message 9: by SparksofEmber (new)

SparksofEmber | 943 comments Here's another listopia to check: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/3...

message 10: by Sofie (new)

Sofie Kristensen | 1 comments Hi, did you ever find out what the book is called? I just thought of it and I've been trying to find out what it is called. I read it in danish about the same time as you.

message 11: by Mojo (new)

Mojo | 8 comments Sofie wrote: "Hi, did you ever find out what the book is called? I just thought of it and I've been trying to find out what it is called. I read it in danish about the same time as you."

Hello Sofie! No, no luck yet sadly :/ If you read it in Danish around the same time as I did I guess it could be a book by a Scandinavian author? I've mainly searched for it using English, perhaps I should try Swedish instead... I'll let you know if I find anything!

message 12: by Cali (new)

Cali | 1 comments Hi. Is the book perhaps voyage of the Dawn Treader? CSLewis is one of the books in the Chronicles of Narnia.

message 13: by Mojo (new)

Mojo | 8 comments Cali wrote: "Hi. Is the book perhaps voyage of the Dawn Treader? CSLewis is one of the books in the Chronicles of Narnia."
Hi and thanks for the tip, but nope! The search continues x3

message 14: by Mathias (last edited Dec 07, 2015 02:12AM) (new)

Mathias Meier (mathiasdmeier) | 1 comments The book you are thinking of is Shamran by Danish author Bjarne Reuter :)

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...

message 15: by Mojo (new)

Mojo | 8 comments Mathias wrote: "The book you are thinking about is Shamran by Danish author Bjarne Reuter

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4..."

That is indeed the right one, thank you so much!
I can finally put my mind at ease lol :D

message 16: by Historic_Heroine (new)

Historic_Heroine | 74 comments I'm a little sad it ended up being a book in Danish. It sounds so interesting and I would have loved to read it! Really glad you found it though!

message 17: by Mojo (new)

Mojo | 8 comments WhiteHeather wrote: "I'm a little sad it ended up being a book in Danish. It sounds so interesting and I would have loved to read it! Really glad you found it though!"

Yeah its a shame there are isn't a English translation, apparently it isn't even available for purchase in Swedish anymore either :/ Guess I'll have to go search the library if I want to read it again!