Start by marking “Eric in the Land of the Insects” as Want to Read:
Eric in the Land of the Insects

Eric in the Land of the Insects

In this humorous fantasy, nine-year-old Eric enters the landscape painting that hangs on his wall and he discovers a world of meadow insects that is stunningly similar to the world of humans.
Published March 28th 1994 by Houghton Mifflin (first published 1940)

To ask other readers questions about Eric in the Land of the Insects, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eric in the Land of the Insects

Amcnakken
Apr 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: treasures
I have a library card and sometimes the library I go to gives away free books. They are small and thin editions of Dutch classics. This time I picked this up, I normally don't do this because I never think I'll read it. But this time I thought that the cover was really pretty. If they didn't gave this away I don't I would have picked this one up, the title is a little childish and well...

Although I expected a child-like book (the title), this book is absolutely amazing. It really proved me that
Titia Lenzhölzer-Maas
This book was recommended to me and I can totally see why. Profound timeless wisdom beautifully wrapped in little dialogues, every one of them a little gift to readers able to gently unwrap them.

A few personal aha moments while joining Erik in his adventure:
- Life is meant to be lived, not to be understood
- Sometimes we need to cry, that's ok
- We're all part of an even larger eco-system than we realize
- If things come differently than we expected, it makes a big difference if we made our own ch
Foxyreading
Feb 09, 2015 rated it liked it

Hello my beautiful goodreads family! It's foxyreading (@foxyfangirling on twitter, please add me I need more bookish updates on there!) with the last review of the last book I've read in July and in the #TBRTakedown read a thon hosted by @leaninglights.

This book is Dutch literature so it's not for everyone, I don't know if it's translated already or not. But it's basically a book about Eric who falls into a painting about insects. in the painting you follow his journey meeting different insects
Sylvia
Like Alice Erik Pinksterblom experiences special adventures in the world of a painting called "Wollewei. This painting hangs above his bed and one night he becomes small enough to step inside the painting.
Special about the painting is the painstakingly painted insects: the wasps, the ants, the worms, the snails and the butterflies. Erik meets them all on his trip.
Some of the insects behave arrogant, some are frivolous and live by the day. Eric can't avoid thinking that in the insect world many
Nicole
Jun 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-dutch, 2017
Read June 2017
A Dutch Classic about nine year old Eric who enters the painting of a meadow on his bedroom wall where he discovers the world of insects. Reminiscent of Alice in Wonderland, except less weird or fantasy based.

I liked the story itself, but the writing didn’t work for me as well. It felt quite old fashioned (yes, it was written some time ago, but I’ve read books older than this one where the writing felt nowhere near as dated.) I also felt a little confused as to what audience this w
Liset van Ginkel
Mar 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
It was okay, pretty cool for a childrens book.
Willem van den Oever
One of the odd ones out on the list of required reading in Dutch high schools is “Eric of het klein insectenboek”. Squeezed in between giants like “Max Havelaar” and “The Discovery of Heaven”, it made one wonder why this fairytale was there on the list at all. But it’s thin and easy to read, so why would any student care!

Nine-year-old Erik discovers one night that after dark all of the paintings in his bedroom come to life. After a hilarious discussion with his deceased grandparents - who show t
Geert Daelemans
Aug 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, jeugd, humour
Wonderfully old-fashioned fable

One evening in bed Eric, a third grader studying for a test on insects, magically enters grandfather's painting that depicts a meadow filled to the brim with insects. When Erik understands what actually has happened, he decides to start his search for the frame of the painting, so that he can jump back to his room. This quest will get him in contact with a colorful world of friendly and sometimes not so friendly insects. The wasps, bees, butterflies and other critt
Danny Butler
Feb 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
A delightful read. I read the Dutch version (2013 edition). If I have read it before, as a child, I can't remember. I can't remember any of the books I read as a child.
The imagination, the characterisations and the amount of detail make this world that can be entered through a magic portal utterly believable.
Tiwi / Kayleigh
I love the cover of this version. :3
Those ants are so cute. :)

So the story is very simple and very story like.
I love it!

Erik is a very nice person and I love Wollewei. :)

This is another book I had to read for school.
Read in 2 hours Dutch lessons. XD
The rest of the class is still reading.
Dorise
Jan 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school
I really really enjoyed to read this book. It is a Dutch literature novel, so you can read it for the literature list as well. This book has a great sense of humor and it is good fantasy. I would recommend it to all of the students from my school, because this is just a typical book of how wonderful and fantastic the Dutch books can be!
Anne
Jan 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nederlands, europe
Nice book about young Erik who enters the painting of a field in his room and comes in contact with different animals living there. When describing the behaviour of the insects the resemblance of people is funny and recognisable. Well written and a fun short read.
Molly
Sep 04, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: youngpersons
Written in 1947 (or very near there), this book is quite charming. Eric dives into a painting of instects and gets to know all of them. The Wasps are, well, WASPs, the ants busy, the butterflies ethereal. It's a cute and fun read.
Vaish
Feb 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was so strange, but I'm glad I had to read this book for Dutch literature, although it seems like an innocent children's tale at first. However, I like the meaning of it and it was nice to read a weird story like this.
Andrea Retana
Eric in the Land of the Insects, Godfried Bomans, Grade 4-5, Insects

This book would be a great to used it in a science lesson about insects. It illustrated every possible insect that one can think of. It would teach children a variety of science vocabulary.
Janneke
I read this book for school and it was okay. I probably wouldn't have finished it if it hadn't been for school, because I found the middle of the book quite boring. But I loved the ending, when Eric is back in the human realm. (I'm also 99 percent sure it was all just a dream Eric had.)
Eline
Nov 10, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: boekengeschenk
I read this book a month before my 20th birtday. I liked it, but I still think that if I would have read this book as a child it would be more magical.
Sandra
Apr 13, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014, school
At least I dont have to read literature anymore
Red
Apr 09, 2013 rated it liked it
bomans was one of the first writer celebs in the netherlands.
but most people forgot how to continue their admiration after the airplay has faded.
Ria
Dec 12, 2009 added it
Erik, of Het klein insectenboek by Godfried Bomans (1979)
Piet Van
Jun 19, 2016 rated it liked it
One of the first books I read.
Michelle Slenters
Jul 05, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short, books-i-own
I hated this book...... hated.
Bregje (B a Reader)
This review was also posted on Books are stories.

In highschool I had to read several dutch books, none of which I extremely enjoyed, and afterwards I didn't feel like reading dutch books anymore until this one came along. This book is a Dutch classic. Some people regard this book as a childrens book, while others think that children would not be able to understand the whole story. I personally think that children will be perfectly able to understand the storyline, and eventhough there may be a f
Zoé
Feb 09, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eric in the Land of the Insects was the first literal book I read. I enjoyed it very much, because I didn't know before that literature could be fiction. I don't realy like to read non-fiction books, I prefer fantasy, magic and that kinda stuff. Because this book was quite imaginative, I didn't notice that I was actually reading literature. I think that's the amazing thing about this book.
The idea of stepping through a painting that leads you into another world, reminds me of The Voyage of the D
Ben
Nov 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: literature
I found this book really enjoyable. Little Erik (or Eric, as it is translated in the English version) finds himself all of a sudden in a painting full of insects which has been hanging in his bedroom wall all his life. 9 years old Eric happened to have studied for a test on insects which was due the next morning. Living among the insects, he gradually earns their respect because of his knowledge on them. Bomans creates an impressive reflection on real life in which he lets certain insects repres ...more
Nina
May 11, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had to read this book for school, at first I thought it was the most boring book ever written, but now that I've actually taken the time to finish it completely I can say that it was interesting. Insects creep me out, but this book gave me a different perspective, I still don't like bugs though, they still creep me out, but at some points it was kinda fun in a different way to read about them like this. I knew what the ending of this was gonna be right after the first chapter, it was so predic ...more
Meikoningin
Jun 12, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
SPOILER ALERT !
Erik is a Dutch ten year-old schoolboy who is studying insects at school. He gets shown and explained a bit about them by his kind and knowledgeable nature-loving grandfather, whose country estate is a good place to do so.
The grandfather turns out to have a book on insects, which allows Erik to pass into the insectworld for one night, a bit like Alice in Wonderland. Erik becomes a miniature boy among giant-looking, talking insects, who discuss their own and other species.
There are
Anna Maria
Oct 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
A delightful, very original addition to any young child's bookshelf.
Nynke
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would probably have enjoyed it more if there wasn't the pressure of having to read it for school and finish it in time for the test.
Pearl
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Absolutely loved it!

• Kees de jongen
  • Titaantjes
  • Meneer Beerta (Het Bureau #1)
  • De stille kracht
  • Karakter
  • Jip en Janneke
  • De Stomme van Kampen
  • Het boek van violet en dood
  • Kruimeltje
  • De moeder van David S., geb. 3 juli 1959
  • Camera Obscura
  • Chapel Road
  • De boodschapper
  • Heren van de thee
  • De man die zijn haar kort liet knippen
Godfried Bomans was a popular Dutch author and television personality. Much of his work remains untranslated into English.
“Die het minste zijn en het weinigst kunnen, hebben de meeste verbeelding.” 2 likes