Graphic Novel Reading Group discussion

General Discussions > The Panels 2015 Graphic Novel Read Harder Challenge

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Althea (new)

Althea J. | 16 comments Hi! Please forgive me if someone has already posted about this.

Panels has created a 2015 Read Harder Challenge

-- it's like BookRiot's Read Harder challenge that challenges readers to widen the scope of what they read beyond their comfort zones, except this one is focused on GRAPHIC NOVELS!

-- the original posted challenge has links to help generate ideas of books that qualify for various tasks

Here's the list of tasks which you can use as a template and copy/paste into your own post on this thread if you want a place to keep track of your own progress:

1. Read a comic book from the Golden Age (30s to early 50s).

2. Read a comic book that features a creative team representing more than one gender.

3. Read a comic book originally published in Europe.

4. Read a piece of comics journalism.

5. Read a self-contained graphic novel.

6. Read a comic book from an independent publisher.

7. Read a comic book by an all-female creative team.

8. Read a comic book about a culture other than your own.

9. Read a comic book about a religion other than your own.

10. Read a comic book marketed for children or all-ages.

11. Read a comic book that features an LGBTQ character.

12. Read a comic book that won an Eisner Award.

13. Read a webcomic.

14. Read a comic book starring anthropomorphic animals.

15. Read a volume of manga.

16. Read a comic book written and drawn by the same person.

17. Read a collection of comic strips.

18. Read a comic about a non-traditional superhero.

19. Read a book about comic books.

20. Read a comic book featuring non-traditional art.

21. Read a new-to-you comic from the library.

22. Read a science fiction comic book.

23. Read a fantasy comic book.

24. Read a comic set in a country other than your own.

25. Read a controversial comic book.

26. Read a comic with a villain for the protagonist.

message 2: by Thibault (new)

Thibault Lemaitre (tibz) | 10 comments This sounds great actually! Any recommendation?

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim (jkmfilms) Althea wrote: "Hi! Please forgive me if someone has already posted about this.

Panels has created a 2015 Read Harder Challenge..."

This is fantastic, Althea! Thanks for posting!

message 4: by Althea (new)

Althea J. | 16 comments Thibault wrote: "This sounds great actually! Any recommendation?"

All 3 books I've read so far for the challenge happened to be excellent!

For the comic set in another country: Barefoot Gen, Volume One A Cartoon Story of Hiroshima by Keiji Nakazawa Barefoot Gen, Volume One: A Cartoon Story of Hiroshima
This is one of those books that I wish everyone would read. So impactful, but also really enjoyable.

For the comic with the all-female creative team: Skim by Mariko Tamaki Skim by Mariko & Jillian Tamaki

For a new-to-me comic from the library: In Real Life by Cory Doctorow In Real Life
Gamer girlz! Woot!

I'd love to see what you guys come up with, if you decide to give this challenge a try

message 5: by Jim (last edited Sep 09, 2015 04:18PM) (new)

Jim (jkmfilms) 1. Read a comic book from the Golden Age (30s to early 50s).

✔2. ...comic book that features a creative team representing more than one gender: Saga, Volume 4 by Brian K. Vaughn and Fiona Staples

✔3. ...comic book originally published in Europe: Beautiful Darkness by Fabien Vehlmann

✔5. ...self-contained graphic novel: The Five Fists Of Science by Matt Fraction

✔6. ...comic book from an independent publisher: The Silence of Our Friends by Mark Long

✔7. ...comic book by an all-female creative team: Will & Whit by Laura Lee Gulledge

✔11. ...comic book that features an LGBTQ character: Batwoman, Vol. 2: To Drown the World

✔13. ...webcomic. The Adventures of Superhero Girl by Faith Erin Hicks

✔14. ...comic book starring anthropomorphic animals: Alice by Lela Dowling

✔15. ...volume of manga: Gamerz Heaven Volume 1 by Maki Murakami

✔16. ...comic book written and drawn by the same person: Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Omnibus, Vol. 1 contains the wonderful story Dawn and Hoopy the Bear written and drawn by Paul Lee

✔17. ...collection of comic strips: One Hundred Demons by Lynda Barry

✔20. ...comic book featuring non-traditional art: 2024 by Ted Rall

✔21. ...a new-to-you comic from the library: Neil Young's Greendale by Joshua Dysart

✔22. ...science fiction comic book: We3 by Grant Morrison

✔23. ...fantasy comic book: Rat Queens, Vol. 1: Sass & Sorcery by Kurtis J. Wiebe

✔24. ...comic set in a country other than your own: Epileptic by David B.

✔26. ...comic with a villain for the protagonist: Suicide Squad, Vol. 1: Kicked in the Teeth by Adam Glass and Ryan Benjamin

message 6: by Mel (new)

Mel (metermouse) | 50 comments Althea wrote: "Thibault wrote: "This sounds great actually! Any recommendation?"

All 3 books I've read so far for the challenge happened to be excellent!

For the comic set in another country: [bookcover:Barefoo..."

This is so amazing! Can't wait to get started, this is really just an excuse for me to read more comics, since most of my comic reads satisfy these requirements, but this makes it more fun. Also now I will finally read Barefoot Gen already. I think I keep putting it off because I think it's going to be depressing.

thanks for bringing this to the group!!

message 7: by Mel (last edited Sep 25, 2015 10:48AM) (new)

Mel (metermouse) | 50 comments 15/26

2. Read a comic book that features a creative team representing more than one gender. Complete:

Capture Creatures, No. 1 by Becky Dreistadt Capture Creatures, No. 1 Saga, Volume 4 by Brian K. Vaughan Saga, Volume 4

3. Read a comic book originally published in Europe. possibly:
Gemma Bovery by Posy Simmonds Gemma Bovery

4. Read a piece of comics journalism. possibly:

The Photographer by Emmanuel Guibert The Photographer The Influencing Machine Brooke Gladstone on the Media by Brooke Gladstone The Influencing Machine: Brooke Gladstone on the Media

5. Read a self-contained graphic novel. COMPLETED:

The Encyclopedia of Early Earth by Isabel Greenberg
The Encyclopedia of Early Earth

6. Read a comic book from an independent publisher. COMPLETE 5/09: Oh Joy Sex Toy, Volume One
Oh Joy Sex Toy, Volume One by Erika Moen

7. Read a comic book by an all-female creative team. COMPLETE: Nana, Vol. 6 (Nana, #6) by Ai Yazawa Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol Lumberjanes, Vol. 1 Beware the Kitten Holy by Noelle Stevenson
PLANNED: Skim by Mariko Tamaki Skim

8. Read a comic book about a culture other than your own. Wayward, Vol. 1: String Theory

Wayward, Vol. 1 String Theory by Jim Zub

10. Read a comic book marketed for children or all-ages. COMPLETED Marceline Gone Adrift

11. Read a comic book that features an LGBTQ character. COMPLETE: Fresh Romance #1
Fresh Romance #1 by Sarah Kuhn

12. Read a comic book that won an Eisner Award. The Mire, Smile
The Mire by Becky Cloonan Smile by Raina Telgemeier

13. Read a webcomic. COMPLETE: Nimona

15. Read a volume of manga. COMPLETED:
¡Yotsuba! Vol. 11 (Yotsuba&! #11) by Kiyohiko Azuma ¡Yotsuba! Vol. 11

16. Read a comic book written and drawn by the same person. COMPLETED

Death Vigil #1 by Stjepan Šejić Death Vigil #1

17. Read a collection of comic strips. COMPLETE: THE Awkward Yeti's Complete Lack of Focus Vol 2

18. Read a comic about a non-traditional superhero. COMPLETED

The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #1 (The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, #1) by Ryan North The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #1 Does this count?

20. Read a comic book featuring non-traditional art. COMPLETE
Descender #1 by Jeff Lemire Descender #1

21. Read a new-to-you comic from the library. Completed:

Between Gears by Natalie Nourigat Between Gears

22. Read a science fiction comic book. COMPLETED
ODY-C #1 by Matt Fraction ODY-C #1

23. Read a fantasy comic book. COMPLETED

Birthright #4 by Joshua Williamson Birthright #4

24. Read a comic set in a country other than your own. COMPLETE: Nana, Vol. 7
Nana, Vol. 7 (Nana, #7) by Ai Yazawa
PLANNED Barefoot Gen, Volume One A Cartoon Story of Hiroshima by Keiji Nakazawa Barefoot Gen, Volume One: A Cartoon Story of Hiroshima

26. Read a comic with a villain for the protagonist. PLANNED: Nimona by Noelle Stevenson

message 8: by Althea (new)

Althea J. | 16 comments You're welcome!

I have recently discovered the graphic novel bounty that is the Brooklyn Public Library system so my reading-world has exploded with possibility. This challenge is perfect for me because now I can try all sorts of books outside my comfort zone and not blow all the money that I don't have.

I can go online and click "Place a hold" on any book from any of the libraries in Brooklyn and they will deliver it to my local library for me to pick up. Do library systems in other areas have this option?

It's possible that everyone already does this but I feel like I discovered fire :)

message 9: by Althea (last edited Jun 18, 2015 09:51AM) (new)

Althea J. | 16 comments I'm still working out the possibilities, but here's my plan:

Start Date: Jan 13th, 2015

18/26 completed

2. Read a comic book that features a creative team representing more than one gender.
Saga, Volume 4 by Brian K. Vaughan Saga, Volume 4 completed 2/27/15 ****1/2

The Rabbi's Cat by Joann Sfar The Rabbi's Cat completed 2/22/15 *****

A.D. New Orleans After the Deluge by Josh Neufeld A.D.: New Orleans After the Deluge

5. Read a self-contained graphic novel.
The Nao of Brown by Glyn Dillon The Nao of Brown completed 4/21/15 ****

Exit Wounds by Rutu Modan Exit Wounds

Skim by Mariko Tamaki Skim completed 1/19/15 *****

Habibi by Craig Thompson Habibi completed 2/20/15 *****

Buddha, Vol. 1 Kapilavastu (Buddha #1) by Osamu Tezuka Buddha, Vol. 1: Kapilavastu

Luz Sees the Light by Claudia Davila Luz Sees the Light completed 4/10/15 ****

Maggie the Mechanic by Jaime Hernández Maggie the Mechanic

Asterios Polyp by David Mazzucchelli Asterios Polyp completed 3/1/15 *****

13. Read a webcomic.
Nimona by Noelle Stevenson Nimona completed 6/18/15 *****

Blacksad by Juan Díaz Canales Blacksad completed 3/17/15 *****

really not sure about this one, but have heard positive things about these guys:
Neon Genesis Evangelion, Vol. 01 by Yoshiyuki Sadamoto Neon Genesis Evangelion, Vol. 01
Bleach, Vol. 1 Strawberry and the Soul Reapers (Bleach, #1) by Tite Kubo Bleach Volume 01: Strawberry and the Soul Reapers
Nana, Vol. 1 (Nana, #1) by Ai Yazawa Nana, Vol. 1

Tomboy A Graphic Memoir by Liz Prince Tomboy: A Graphic Memoir completed 2/11/15 *****

The Essential Dykes to Watch Out For by Alison Bechdel The Essential Dykes to Watch Out For

Can an assassin be considered a non-traditional superhero?
Elektra Vol. 1 Bloodlines by W. Haden Blackman Elektra Vol. 1: Bloodlines completed 3/6/15 ****
If not, The Adventures of Superhero Girl by Faith Erin Hicks The Adventures of Superhero Girl completed 4/1/15 ****
If not, panels suggests Warren Ellis' Supreme Blue Rose #1 by Warren Ellis Supreme: Blue Rose #1 completed 5/12/15 ***

Understanding Comics The Invisible Art by Scott McCloud Understanding Comics: The Invisible Art completed 5/14/15 *****
Making Comics Storytelling Secrets of Comics, Manga and Graphic Novels by Scott McCloud Making Comics: Storytelling Secrets of Comics, Manga and Graphic Novels completed 5/20/15 *****

Building Stories by Chris Ware Building Stories completed 2/18/15 *****

In Real Life by Cory Doctorow In Real Life completed 1/19/15 ****

The Wake by Scott Snyder The Wake

Through the Woods by Emily Carroll Through the Woods completed 4/10/15 **** ---- isn't this more horror than fantasy?

I still want to check out Locke & Key, Vol. 1 Welcome to Lovecraft by Joe Hill Locke & Key, Volume 1: Welcome to Lovecraft which might be a better fit.

Barefoot Gen, Volume One A Cartoon Story of Hiroshima by Keiji Nakazawa Barefoot Gen, Volume One: A Cartoon Story of Hiroshima (Japan) completed 1/14/15 *****

Thor, Vol. 1 Goddess of Thunder by Jason Aaron Thor, Vol. 1: Goddess of Thunder completed 6/17/15 ****

My Friend Dahmer by Derf Backderf My Friend Dahmer completed 5/24/15 *****

message 10: by Althea (new)

Althea J. | 16 comments Hey there, Kenny!

I didn't realize there was a limit so I just looked it up and it said for Brooklyn: "There is a limit of 10 active holds per user."

I wonder why there is such a difference between boroughs?

Thanks for pointing that out. Now I'll know to be more strategic in what I choose to put on hold :)

message 11: by Trike (new)

Trike | 112 comments I think I've done most of these my entire life. I'm sure the graphic novels I've read this year alone qualify for half of this list.

One webcomic I stumbled across a couple weeks ago that I quite like is a science fiction story called Outsider . It's pretty good space opera, at least equal in quality to Star Wars and the like.

message 12: by Jim (new)

Jim (jkmfilms) Althea - I live outside Huntsville, AL, so I pay $20 a year to use their library, and I can put books on hold from their several branches in the same way. It's fantastic!

I'm betting New York had a better selection, but just looking at your list, last year I checked out Skim, Bayou, Blankets, Black Hole, and The Essential Dykes to Watch Out For. I'm really amazed that I can get these titles out of a library in north Alabama! (Out of that list, I wasn't overly impressed with Black Hole but I LOVED the others.)

message 13: by Jim (new)

Jim (jkmfilms) And Bayou was originally a webcomic. I thought it was fascinating!

message 14: by Althea (new)

Althea J. | 16 comments Kenny wrote: "Althea here are the links to the Manhattan and Bronx libraries. And the other one is the Queens libraries. The..."

Are you allowed to borrow across boroughs?

message 15: by Nicky (new)

Nicky Wheeler-Nicholson | 27 comments Wow, these are all great suggestions Althea! Thanks so much for posting. By the way I love the webcomic The Strangler Brothers.
http://www.stranglerbrothers.com/inde...

It's silly but fun and the artwork is gorgeous drawn by a wonderful young woman--Melinda Davidson.

message 16: by Mel (new)

Mel (metermouse) | 50 comments Althea wrote: "I'm still working out the possibilities, but here's my plan:

Start Date: Jan 13th, 2015

3/26 completed

2. Read a comic book that fe..."

you picked some really good ones!

Also - the library is a magical wonderland of amazing awesomeness!! Our library has the 'all ages' comic/manga section which for the longest time I thought was it... until I went looking for Locas and I KNEW their website said they had it.... then I discovered the 'adult' comic/graphic novel/manga section and it's been bliss ever since.
Mine is a county library so I get to pull from about 6 different locations that they will deliver to my location. So sweeet!

message 17: by Camilla (last edited Jan 28, 2015 06:02PM) (new)

Camilla (sandrabbit) I put Frank Miller's Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Batman The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller as the self-contained graphic novel. I might have interpreted "self-contained" a bit loosely, maybe, but I'm happy with it.

message 18: by Damon (new)

Damon (drasmodeus) | 13 comments 2. Read a comic book that features a creative team representing more than one gender.

Does this mean a man and a woman? Or does it have to be one person who has more than one gender?

message 19: by Camilla (last edited May 26, 2015 06:20AM) (new)

Camilla (sandrabbit) 1. Read a comic book from the Golden Age (30s to early 50s).

2. Read a comic book that features a creative team representing more than one gender. Saga, Volume 4 Saga, Volume 4 by Brian K. Vaughan

5. Read a self-contained graphic novel. Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Batman The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller by Frank Miller

12. Read a comic book that won an Eisner Award. David Mazzucchelli's Asterios Polyp Asterios Polyp by David Mazzucchelli

13. Read a webcomic.

14. Read a comic book starring anthropomorphic animals. Juan Díaz Canales Blacksad Blacksad by Juan Díaz Canales Arctic-Nation Arctic-Nation (Blacksad, #2) by Juan Díaz Canales

message 20: by Althea (new)

Althea J. | 16 comments I just edited my post to include the GN I just read...

Tomboy A Graphic Memoir by Liz Prince Tomboy: A Graphic Memoir completed 2/11/15 *****

So good!! This is one of those books I wish I could travel back in time and hand to teenage-me.

message 21: by Althea (last edited Feb 11, 2015 02:32PM) (new)

Althea J. | 16 comments Damon wrote: "2. Read a comic book that features a creative team representing more than one gender.

Does this mean a man and a woman? Or does it have to be one person who has more than one gender?"

I think it's open to interpretation so you could have it mean anything you want. That's just my humble opinion though :)

I would definitely be interested in checking out work by transgender creators if anyone has any recommendations.

message 22: by Meran (new)

Meran | 115 comments I've already read all these categories, probably last year. I know I have them on my shelves in my library.

I find this funny, for some reason. I guess it just proves my diversity in reading. AND the wonderful diversity that's available in graphic novels!

message 23: by Meran (new)

Meran | 115 comments Thanks for the Strangler Bros. Hadn't seen that one.

Digger is a great webcomic, btw and it's done.

Are we supposed to copy that list then put in our selections?

message 24: by Meran (new)

Meran | 115 comments 11: transgender. Read any of the Alabaster comics by Caitlin R Kittredge. I believe she's transgender (and I LOVE the whole Alabaster series! I hear there's another coming out. Steve Lieber does the art.)

Hope this helps the readers AND the writers/artists!

message 25: by Damon (new)

Damon (drasmodeus) | 13 comments Cool I will try the Kitteredge comics

message 26: by Althea (new)

Althea J. | 16 comments I just finished Asterios Polyp by David Mazzucchelli Asterios Polyp by David Mazzucchelli for the "won an Eisner award" task. Wow!

I'm loving this challenge!! Every book I've read so far has stretched my understanding of the boundaries of what a graphic novel can be.

message 27: by Althea (new)

Althea J. | 16 comments If you're looking for a comic for the "Read a comic from the Golden Age" category, or just interested in checking out stuff from that era...

"Download 15,000+ Free Golden Age Comics from the Digital Comic Museum"
http://www.openculture.com/2014/03/do...

message 28: by Jim (new)

Jim (jkmfilms) Is it possible to make this a sticky? Since people update previous posts as they go instead of adding new ones - so it doesn't necessarily bump to the top when someone adds something.

message 29: by Jim (new)

Jim (jkmfilms) Thanks, Kenny! It'll be so much easier to find now :)