Start by marking “Anya's Ghost” as Want to Read:

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  53,350 ratings  ·  4,583 reviews
Anya could really use a friend. But her new BFF isn't kidding about the "Forever" part.

Of all the things Anya expected to find at the bottom of an old well, a new friend was not one of them. Especially not a new friend who’s been dead for a century.

Falling down a well is bad enough, but Anya's normal life might actually be worse. She's embarrassed by her family, self-consc
Hardcover, First Edition, 224 pages
Published June 7th 2011 by First Second

To ask other readers questions about Anya's Ghost, please sign up.
L. B. Bugle You can obtain it, open it, and read it using your eyes.
Abigail Basaraba Yes, there are words in a graphic novel. If it was originally a novel, it would include some dialogue of the story. Usually Graphic Novels have…moreYes, there are words in a graphic novel. If it was originally a novel, it would include some dialogue of the story. Usually Graphic Novels have narration in the form of yellow boxes with writing in them, however if they don't then usually the reader is lead with the characters speech. (less)

·  53,350 ratings  ·  4,583 reviews

Amalia Gavea
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Amalia by: Marina
‘’No one has the right to decide who gets to live or die.’’

I will tell you straight away that this is so much more than a comic. I thought it would be a cute tale, a whimsical ghost story and, following a discussion with my dear friend Marina, I decided to try my luck with Brosgol’s work. I was definitely in for a surprise. A bleak, haunting, and yet quirky and beautiful surprise.

Anya is a young girl in high school. Having arrived to the USA from Russia before primary school, she has adopted t
Seth T.
Jul 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
When I was in high school, there wasn’t a lot of bullying. And there weren’t really any cliques. Or maybe there were but I was just too blissfully ignorant to notice. It’s not like I was especially popular. It’s not as if I wasn’t kind of nerdy or kind of artsy or kind of freaky. I mean, look at me.

Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol
Yep. This is exactly as rad as it looks.

It’s more just that I never felt as if I couldn’t, if I had wanted to, talk to someone and have them not snub me outright. Maybe it’s different in other schools
Nick
Wanted it to be more creepy.

description

Full review to come!
Nat
Mar 29, 2016 rated it liked it
“You’re no saint, Anya.
You’re just like me”

This story follows Anya Borzakovskaya who’s an immigrant from Russia, residing in the United States, alongside her mother and brother.
Anya isn't doing particularly well in school. She doesn't have many friends.
And one day while she’s feeling particularly blue about her life, she falls into a deep hole in the ground. Underground she meets Emily, a 90 year old ghost.

description

This graphic novel not only focuses on a creepy, old ghost- it also talks about Anya’s s
Catie
May 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Catie by: Minli
4 1/2 stars

It’s been a while since I’ve read a real graphic novel that’s not just text with illustrations. So it may be partly because I’ve been missing the format, but I was completely blown away by this book. It made me remember everything that’s possible in a graphic novel, but impossible when the story is confined to mere words. Beyond that, I think that it takes an incredible amount of talent to convey so efficiently and precisely the story, characters, emotions, and just everything in the
Elyse Walters
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Just to *touch* this book is a special treat.
The black and white graphic photos are filled with emotion themselves.
Anya is a teenage girl -in High School -in the United States ---from Russia.
Yeah....'you' try fitting in!

The story, photos, shape of the book, 'feel' of the book, the experience of the book is endearing, enchanting, spooky, sweet, sad, funny, .................and so delightful!
Jo
This review is probably going to be shorter than others because of risk of spoilers. Just take my word for it and read this book.

"You may look normal like everyone else, but you're not. Not on the inside."

Initial Final Page Thoughts.
Aww. I wish all books were graphic novels.

High Points.
Just the fact that this book is a YA graphic novel makes my heart soar with joy. I can’t get enough of them and I don’t trust people who don’t like them. Seriously, people who don't like them... what is wrong wit
Ms. Smartarse
Anya is a typical American teenager. Or... she would be if only she weren't Russian, or weird, unpopular and clumsy. I mean, things could definitely be worse: she might've still had an accent, be as plump as her mother, or (God Forbid!) the resident school weirdo.
Good thing, she put those things behind her.

the worst

And then one day she falls into a big hole... and dies. Eventually, at any rate.

In the aforementioned hole however, she meets Emily, a perfectly nice little girl if only she weren't dead. St
Pooja
Jul 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic
Like me, If you are afraid of ghosts, just the mere thought of them can make you go crazy, I'll suggest not the read the book in night.

This is what I did and Oh God, Don't ask me what it was like to sleep turning off the lights.

If it's difficult for you to see how the characters change drastically, just in a blink of an eye, in any book, if this change troubles you, leaving you thinking how,when,why then this is the book for you.

Anushka or Anya is just a normal girl we have seen in every other
Archit Ojha
Jul 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks
[Thank you Ritu for putting this up on our shelf. An important addition.]

It all appears glossy on the surface, the lives of others.

Scratch beneath and you shall find the truth.

Vera Brosgol does a good work in terms of artwork. The story build up is nice and easy.

From falling down the pit to the empathy of the ghost to total turnaround; I think you learnt a lesson or two till you reached the very end.

The character outlining of Anya was pretty cool and the book kept me interested as to where it w
Jessica
Dec 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I just really started getting into graphic novels in the past year or so, and so far, Anya's Ghost is my favorite.
I loved the drawings, I thought the story was super engrossing, and really easy to follow (which isn't always the case with graphic novels).

I thought this story was really unique and surprising. I really enjoyed reading about Anya's character. I feel like a lot of teens will be able to relate to her, in one way or another.

I think ANYA'S GHOST is the perfect choice for people who are
David Schaafsma
PS: After my first reading in 2014 I gave it 5 stars; after my second reading, in 2016: 3 stars. After class discussion today, two days after rereading the book, I have to bump it back up to 4 stars. In the class this summer we have thus far Ms. Marvel, Paper Girls, Blankets, The Arrival, Ghost World, and Anya's Ghost. I asked them today what was their favorite book so far and there were a range of answers, but by far the favorite so far overall is Anya's Ghost, and our pretty lively discussion ...more
Noelle
Feb 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Noelle by: Jo
As if it being five o'clock on a Friday of a three day weekend isn't exciting enough, I found a blue library envelope on my doorstep this afternoon with a brand spanking new copy of Anya's Ghost inside. Guys, it is GORGEOUS. I'm talking Golum "my precious" impersonation inspiring gorgeous.

Less than an hour later, I'm at the last page and officially have a new favorite YA graphic novel.

Let's get this out of the way first: Anya Borzakovskaya is awesome. She's got the normal teenage insecurities go
emma
Just a mini-review:

-the art is so cute I wanna die
-weird traces of girl-hating
-generally just a little bit rushed?
-kind of a cheesy ending
-but very cute and fun and fast-paced
-i liked it, hurray
Sam Quixote
Aug 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Anya is a teenage schoolgirl with all the usual insecurities about her weight, clothes, friends, etc. compounded by embarrassment over her Russian heritage. She makes an effort to lose her accent, avoid fatty Russian food, and even tells people her surname is Brown instead of her actual lengthy and complex Russian one. Upset after making another social faux pas, she ditches school and heads off to the park, promptly falling down a dry well where she meets the spirit of a long-deceased schoolgirl ...more
Hershey
Well, this was quite enjoyable and yet at the same time quite disappointing, I guess.

To start off with the positives, what I really loved about Anya's Ghost is its artwork and colour scheme. I loved how each and every page was in light shades of purple, white and black. I love such gloomy themes.

I don't know what else to add to the positives or the negatives, to be honest because on the whole this was an okay read for me. I didn't like or dislike the characters and the same goes for the story l
Kate (GirlReading)
May 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-favourites
4.5* I really enjoyed this. It was brilliantly creepy in all the right ways, yet it also has an underlying depth and fantastic message to it which I really enjoyed! It flowed well and I really loved the art style! Finished it in under an hour and thoroughly enjoyed it, I can't wait to read more from Vera Brosgol in the future! Such a great graphic novel!
Whitney Atkinson
Nov 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Not what I was expecting! Really enjoyed it!
Deborah Markus
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The really, really short review: I started this book last night. I was happy to get up this morning because I knew I'd get to finish it over breakfast.

I WAS HAPPY TO GET UP ON A MONDAY, PEOPLE.

The still reasonably short review:

I'm not feeling very eloquent today, so I thought I'd post a transcript of how I sounded as I read Anya's Ghost:

"Oh, shoot – this is due back at the library soon. Better read it..."

"...wait, what does that say? Oh. That's the Cyrillic alphabet. This girl's mom is very old-
Xueting
Sep 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very original and innovative story! I was so engrossed I read it in less than two hours, almost one whole sitting. The twist really got me. Anya's a very unique and relatable character who matures in the book. I like how the story shows many sides to bullying- those who get bullied experience it in different levels, some better than others so there forms a hierarchy even among the bullied, while they still think about being cooler. And the popular girls aren't always mean. I love how Anya's cult ...more
Ronyell

Brief Introduction:

After reading so many graphic novels that dealt with superheroes and electrifying bloody action scenes, I finally came across a graphic novel that is aimed at young adults, but actually deals with the more mundane aspects of our lives (or should I say, the more spooky and supernatural aspects of our lives). “Anya’s Ghost” is a young adult graphic novel by Russian born author Vera Brosgol and is also Vera Brosgol’s debut book and it has everything that you would enjoy from an
Reynita Maharani ★ The Night Reader ★
It was a pretty fun read and I finished reading it in one sitting. Actually, I read this book when I didn't feel fine. I was sick and I was pretty dizzy at that time but I couldn't stop reading it. I was just so curious about the story and I liked it! It was a pretty fun read.
alexandra ling
3.5/5

i just started getting into graphic novels and i think they may be my new favorite thing. ANYA'S GHOST was insightful, quick, and a bit creepy.

i love how anya develops throughout the novel. it made me a bit sad in the beginning how embarrassed she was to be from russia and how she'd often get bullied. anya tried so hard to change the way she is, but girl, YOU SHOULD GO AN LOVE YOURSELF. (sorry, i had to. i felt j.biebs right there.) the whole book basically follows how anya changes and real
Ariel
Jun 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well this was fun! I loved the art: it was really cute and stylized and awesome. And I really loved the story line: it became creepy and dangerous and that was awesome! However, I can't give it 5 stars because I didn't like the main character.. I was hoping she would grow throughout the story, but she really didn't!

I recommend this graphic novel, peeps! It honestly felt more like a cool comic book! :D
Sarah DiMento
I liked it. Quick, fun read. Nothing special about it though.
Mariah Roze
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am trying to read more and more graphic novels, because that is what my students are reading.

This story was fun and extremely creative. It also had a great message about how we never know and understand fully what others are thinking or what they are going through.

The main character, Anya, falls into an old well that has a skeleton of a young girl from many centuries ago. Also, it has her ghost. Anya becomes friends with the ghost.

Anya is embarrassed by her family, self-conscious about her bo
Nadia Awadi
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rating: 3.5 stars

Why I liked this book:

-The girl has a great body.*Not just skin and bones*
-Plot twist.
-Real problems.
-There is a lesson to learn at the end of it.
-Short *wink*GR's reading challenge*wink*.

Yup, that is the whole review. Adios mi amigos!

I'm not even Spanish.

Victor Almeida
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016, tenho
Eu AMEI esse quadrinho. A arte é linda e a história é muito fluída e simples. Anya é uma personagem muito relacionável, bem construída e me apeguei a ela mesmo em poucas páginas. A mensagem por trás do quadrinho é demais, e quando você entende o que a autora quis, começa a ver coisas que ela inseriu na história que reforçam muito bem o ponto dela.

Não é aquele quadrinho "oooh, mudou minha vida", mas não deixou de ser relevante, gostoso e rápido de ler. Até dei uma mini choradinha no final (estou
Lauren
Feb 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Re-read 6/3/18 - 4 stars. It’s still a great and creepy story with excellent artwork but it’s not 5 star material.

Original review- Fresh from the pages of Anya's Ghost, I can honestly say that this book is a great read!

It has everything you want from a graphic novel - authentic dialogue which really made me laugh out loud on the train, a wonderful protagonist who I could completely relate to (if you've ever been a teenage girl and not one of the "popular" kids at school) and beautiful illustrat
Iris P
Anya's Ghost (Kindle Edition) by Vera Brosgol

I found Anya’s Ghost created by Vera Brosgol, an enchanting and entertaining graphic novel. It’s a YA magical tale that hits that sweet spot where is an appropriate read for young readers and still interesting for adults. On a completely different note, I also learned what the acronym “FOBBY” stands for (Fresh Of the Boat, in case you didn’t know either).

This graphic novel is about a girl named Anya Borzakovskaya, her struggles adjusting into her life as an American teenager and of
Floral Tea Cups B...: "Anya's Ghost" by Vera Brosgol 2 2 Jan 10, 2019 02:27PM
Discourse in a Di...: Anya's Ghost 3 6 Dec 10, 2018 07:24PM
Play Book Tag: Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol - four stars 2 14 Sep 20, 2018 09:44AM
Graphic novel 2 10 Mar 06, 2018 12:34PM
  • Friends With Boys
  • Hilda and the Bird Parade (Hilda, #3)
  • How Mirka Got Her Sword (Hereville #1)
  • Americus
  • The Eternal Smile: Three Stories
  • Page by Paige
  • Sailor Twain: Or: The Mermaid in the Hudson
  • Castle Waiting, Vol. 2 (Castle Waiting Omnibus Collection #2)
  • Koko Be Good
  • Flight, Vol. 8 (Flight, #8)
  • Bake Sale
  • Lola: A Ghost Story
  • Delilah Dirk and the King's Shilling (Delilah Dirk, #2)
  • Brain Camp
  • Courtney Crumrin in the Twilight Kingdom (Courtney Crumrin, #3)
  • Tina's Mouth: An Existential Comic Diary
  • Sumo
  • The Silence of Our Friends
Vera Brosgol was born in Moscow, Russia in 1984 and moved to the United States when she was five. She received a diploma in Classical Animation from Sheridan College, and currently works at Laika Inc. in Portland, Oregon drawing storyboards for feature animation.

She has done illustration work for clients such as Nickelodeon, Sony Computer Entertainment, and Simon & Schuster. Her first graphic
“Oh, Anya! Let's have an intense spiritual relationship for no believable reason!” 43 likes
“You may look normal like everyone else, but you're not. Not on the inside.” 40 likes