Start by marking “We3” as Want to Read:
We3

We3

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  21,946 Ratings  ·  936 Reviews
Writer Grant Morrison and artist Frank Quitely tell the unforgettable story of three innocent pets-a dog, a cat and a rabbit-who have been converted into deadly cyborgs by a sinister military weapons program.With nervous systems amplified to match their terrifying mechanical exoskeletons, the members of Animal Weapon 3 have the firepower of a battalion between them. But th ...more
Published July 1st 2005 by Vertigo

To ask other readers questions about We3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We3

j
Nov 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: cat lovers
Recommended to j by: enthusiasticast
Shelves: 2010, comix, library-books
This review* is about kitties. Let's start it off with a gratuitous and only slightly relevant picture:

*now with 100% more lolcats!

Do you remember that cute Disney movie The Incredible Journey, in which a trio of animal friends (a cat and two dogs) is accidentally left behind by their owner and must travel across the wilderness in order to find their way home?

We3 is just like that, except there is a rabbit instead of one of the dogs and instead of experiencing amusing and only slightly harrowing
Patrick
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful little stand-alone story. It's a great example of the amazing work Grant Morrison is capable of.

If you have a friend that doesn't read graphic novels, this book would be a good way to show them what the medium is capable of.

(And yes, I just ended a sentence in a preposition. I can do that if I want. I'm a writer.)
 ⚔ Sh3lly ⚔

"An affirmation of the better natures of animals and humans alike, a smart and surprisingly touching high-tech fable." - San Francisco Chronicle

Hmmm... I guess I don't get it.

I bought this because I love Grant Morrison. I thought for sure this would be a, well, sure thing. Not what I was expecting.

This was about a trio of animals that were experimented on by the "secret government" and merged with robotics. Sounds like a potentially awesome premise, right???

Yeah... I guess it's pretty cool if yo
Sam
Apr 24, 2007 rated it really liked it
We3 answers the long-asked question "Can a half-dog/half-robot assassin make me cry?"

The answer is yes.

Rescued or stolen from who knows where, a dog, a cat, and a pet rabbit are part of a secret government project and have literally been turned into killing machines. They are exceedingly good at it. What happens when they start to have doubts? What happens when they escape?

Jam-packed with action, ultra-violence, and a hell of a lot of heart, this may be the best pro-animal and anti-WMD book I'
Nicolo Yu
Dec 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
I’ve lost a pet recently, a tawny tabby named Tiger who liked to roll over to have his belly rubbed. As eager he is to play, he hunted with feral ferocity; roaches die with a quick swipe of his paw and he once caught a cobra with nothing but fangs and speed. He disappeared a few days before the wind and rain from Typhoon Sendong came to trash my city; and in the aftermath, his survival was no longer certain. That would be one explanation why my eyes got misty as I was reading the last few pages ...more
Brian
Dec 11, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: reviewed, in-full
About ten years ago I saw Elfen Lied, a Japanimation series that features (among other ridiculosities) a first episode which is composed almost entirely of a naked woman walking (not running) to escape from a military containment facility while dispatching the armed personnel therein with an assortment of gruesome techniques based around the eight invisible arm-like appendages that can be extended from the small of her back.

Grant Morrison just can't top that.

I've seen exploitation media before,
Annelies
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
A short but unsettling graphic novel. What if animals are made into cybercontrolled murder machimes? Is this a vision to the future? Hope not. 3 ordinary, loved pets are by the army made into high tech murder machines. It's unsettling, horrifying, gruesome but about all, it touches me to the hart. Once they were loved but fate decided otherwise. Above all, a real page turner but maybe one could have got more deep in the characters. But though the end really touched me so much...
James DeSantis
Apr 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Me: This concept sounds dumb.

Dog: 1 Protect

Me: Fuck....FUCK!

Okay hold the horses here. We got a Grant Morrison book here. You all know my feelings on him. I dislike a lot of his shit. Weird doesn't even cover what he mostly does. However this time we get a book about 3 animals who work for the government as special units to take out scum and the story is very very straightforward. Almost to a point it might be a little too "safe"

So why the high rating? BECAUSE IT HITS YOU WITH FEELS.

For some
Sesana
Feb 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
If you've read Morrison's run on Animal Man, you know how he feels about animal testing. He really, really doesn't like it. And he's used that to fuel his work on We3, resulting in a heart-wrenching take on Homeward Bound that turns the violence up to eleven.

The three animals on the cover were orginally normal house pets. Kidnapped for testing, they've been turned into cyborg animal soldiers. And then they escape, just trying to get home, causing all kinds of mayhem on the way. I have to give Mo
Seth T.
Jul 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
If you’ve ever talked with me about Frank Quitely’s art, you’ll know that I’m not a fan. And I suppose this should be qualified somewhat because in some ways the man does some ridiculously enviable work.

WE3 by Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely

WE3 actually exhibits pretty well where Quitely’s weaknesses and strengths lie. His human figures are lumpy, over-saturated bags whose movement is articulated by some awkward skeletal foundation. And yet his page design is sometimes superlative. His faces are alien renderings, where eyes float ap
Chris
Apr 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The American Military have kidnapped three pets, Bandit the dog, Tinker the cat and Pirate the rabbit. Fitted them with weaponized mech suits, given them the ability to speak and reconditioned them to be killing machines. After years of successful covert operations they are to be “decommissioned” (or killed in our money) but manage to escape. They set off in search of “home” while fighting off the military might send to eradicate them.

What is it about animal protagonists that instantly make a s
Jim
Sep 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Excellent short story by Grant Morrison.If you're a fun of graphic novels you must read this.
Chris
I started 2012 with two graphic novels that I got for Christmas.
One of them made me laugh and one of them made me cry.*

This is the one that made me cry.

This is Henry.

[image error]Henry"/>

Although he's not showing them in this picture, he has an impressive array of pointy bits that occasionally draw blood. He is, however, the world's biggest chickenshit. His idea of a good offense is to hide under the bed.

This is 2 of WE3, formerly known as Tinker. As you can see, he also has an impressive array o
Jeannette Nikolova
Feb 12, 2017 rated it did not like it
Also available on the WondrousBooks blog.

Not my thing at all.

A friend told me about this, so I decided "Why the heck not?". But even just the three issues really burdened me. And, sadly, it was not an emotional burden coming from feeling bad for the characters. It was an "I don't want to read this" kind of burden.

First of all, I hated the art. I couldn't find a single thing that made me go "Oh, nice". I'm not sure how to pinpoint what bothered me exactly. I'm not into manga, so my generalizati
Mary K
Aug 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book is so many levels of great.

I find that with literally every comic book I read-- especially ones published by big names such as Vertigo-- there is some aspect to the plot, the illustrations, or the characters that I find offensive. In order to continue enjoying comic books, I've had to swallow my moralism and keep on plugging for the sake of sequential art... but luckily enough We3 was a refreshing break from that. The humans were racially diverse, women weren't drawn to be titillating,
Roy
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was so good. So powerful and emotional in such a short novel. The paneling and artwork was different. Morrisons writing was as wacky at times as you'd expect. I think Tchaikovskys Dogs of War is similar in themes and story in way. So if you want a novelisation form of this story check that out. Obviously not exactly the same though.
Ivana
Kupljeno na Sajmu knjiga i pročitano iste večeri. Kuca, maca i zeka, plus elementi kiberpanka (čitaj: slatke životinjice su pretvorene u opake komandose sa gomilom ubojite skalamerije), i pokušaji da prežive nakon što neko zaključi da im više nisu potrebni.

Divno. Opako. Tužno. Divno.

Čitajte.
eva
Aug 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, sff, fiction
the incredible journey crossed with robocop. man, this is one of my favorite comics, but i've refused to buy or re-read it because it seriously bummed me out so much. it's pretty predictable and way emotionally manipulative, but heck, sometimes you just want to cry over a soppy animal story. with cyborg machine guns.

i usually don't like frank quitely's art much, but he's a lot more palatable when he's drawing animals instead of humans, and his layouts are incredible. (also, for a long time i m
Nick
Jun 28, 2008 rated it liked it
If the cover of this book can't sell you then I'd rather not hang out with you. You have a dog, a cat and a rabbit looking ultra serious while decked out in some kind of mech suits.

The story was intriguing and jumps into a fairly fresh realm of sci-fi. Why kill people when animals can do it? There is a lot room to discuss humanity's relationship with the animal world.

The dialog given to our animal protagonists is infuriating. The author makes a bold choice to not make them lucid cognizant bein
Zedsdead
Mar 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
A violent twist on "The Incredible Journey". A dog, a cat, and a rabbit have been weaponized by the government and work as a team of cyborg assassins. When their program gets decommissioned (they are to be destroyed), they escape and go in search of "home".

Morrison and Quitely do some pretty amazing things with the art and panel layouts. The first scene is gorgeous, introducing us to the animals with obstructed shots and silhouette views of their sad, warped bodies. When a target is shredded in
Jamie
Feb 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphicnovels
Much has been made for the emotion and sympathy Grant Morrison inspires with this unconventional story, but I am surprised I didn't hear more about the revolutionary approach to violence that Frank Quitely employed for the book. The little panels are the equivalent of the ultra-rapid editing in current action movies. Astounding!
David Barbee
Jan 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best writers are able to pull off the simplest of ideas. Homeward Bound meets Robocop, it's both of those things and it's own thing at the same time. Also there's Quietly's art, which means that almost every page should be put in a frame and hung on the wall. Great comic.
Faith
Jan 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book made me sob on rush-hour-packed subway, loudly (this is not something that I normally do). It was worth it; this book is poignant and moving and beautiful and subtly unsettling. It's only downfall is that it's over much too soon!
Ben Lainhart
Dec 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Quietly disturbing and moving. It's probably a good thing that it's short because I'm not sure I could hold back tears for many more pages. An excellent read.
Michael Hicks
Grant Morrison packs a lot of heartache and innocence into his tale of science run violently amok in WE3. The story centers around three house pets that have been experimented on by the military and turned into cybernetic assassins outfitted in cutting-edge, weapon-packed exoskeletons. Trained to operate as a team, the dog, cat, and rabbit escape from the military after learning they are to be decommissioned. The dog, Bandit, is given one last order by his compassionate creator—go home. Fleeing ...more
Sooraya Evans
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
Another case of military experimentation backfiring.
Only this time, the powers that be decided to use... (wait for it)... cute cuddly animals.
Mission over. It's time for decommissioning. In other words, wipe out every trace of the experiment.
Of course, the cutesy creatures won't give up without a fight.
Out of desperation, another secret animal weapon gets deployed by the military.
Like that ever solves the problem.
Loyd
Mar 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Grant Morrison is part of that club of twisted geniuses that came from Britain to rule the comic book world in the 1980's, along with Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman, Warren Ellis and others. We 3 is a hallucinogenic mash-up of The Incredible Journey and The Plague Dogs, but with the sensibility of Watership Down. Three animal strays become pawns is a bio-weaponry experiment that, of course, goes terribly wrong. The animals, a dog, a cat, and a rabbit, equipped with explosives, battle armor, and the abi ...more
StoryTellerShannon
A very fast read about a time in which animals are cybernetically and cruelly hooked up to fight our wars for us and granted limited intelligence. There are definite themes of cruelty to animals as well as science out of control. The animal characters were surprisingly sympathetic at times, especially the dog. People with pets will be more moved by this than me. A film project has been in the early developments since 2006.

WHEN READ: yesterday; STORY/PLOTTING: B minus; CHARACTERS/DIALOGUE: B; AR
Josh
Jul 29, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comix
Proof that an interesting premise does not a story make. Morrison didn't bother to write this story, just ran with the idea and the gore.

THis book is fuel for my idea that Morrison needs a wider view to really pull his stories off (see: Animal Man, The Invisibles).
Madison Mega-Mara...: #5 We3 by Grant Morrison 1 2 Jan 25, 2015 07:47AM
  • Planetary, Volume 3: Leaving the 20th Century
  • Top 10, Vol. 1
  • Ex Machina, Vol. 1: The First Hundred Days (Ex Machina, #1)
  • Beasts of Burden: Animal Rites
  • Sweet Tooth, Volume 3: Animal Armies
  • 100%
  • Demo: The Collection
  • Casanova, Vol. 1: Luxuria
Scottish comic book author Grant Morrison is known for culture-jamming and the constant reinvention of his work. He is known for his nonlinear narratives and countercultural leanings in his runs on titles including DC Comics' Animal Man, Batman, JLA, The Invisibles, Action Comics, All-Star Superman, and Doom Patrol, and Marvel Comics' New X-Men and Fantastic Four. Many of these are controversial, ...more
More about Grant Morrison

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
“mmmmen stink! bossss stink! hungry” 3 likes