Horror Aficionados discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Group Reads > November 2020 Group Read Nominations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by WendyB (last edited Oct 15, 2020 09:04AM) (new)

WendyB  | 3183 comments Mod
The theme is Food Horror.

Time once again to think about what books you would like to feast on as a group. Since November is a month for Thanksgiving and the harvest, and we're all thinking about parties and celebrations, the theme for November is FOOD HORROR. Books that include any type of food or eating in general as a part of the plot will qualify. So get your appetites ready, pile your plates high, and dig in to some good horror!

As always, Authors/Publishers may NOT nominate their own works. Books read in the group within the past few years are ineligible.
You can find a list of those here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
Books with the most nominations, seconds, thirds, etc., have a better chance of making it to the final poll.

Have fun!

message 2: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) I am on a phone today. I have always wanted to read Thinner by Bachman, I cant search the already read books or provide a link. Is it okay if I nominate it?

message 3: by WendyB (new)

Renee wrote: "I am on a phone today. I have always wanted to read Thinner by Bachman, I cant search the already read books or provide a link. Is it okay if I nominate it?"

Thinner would fit the theme.

message 4: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (verkisto) Would Matt Wallace's Envy of Angels count as horror?

message 6: by Cory (new)

Cory Cowley | 5 comments My book Bending Reality would qualify. There’s a very graphic scene in which the character eats some “questionable” food as well an in-detail expulsion scene.

message 7: by WendyB (new)

Thomas wrote: "Would Matt Wallace's Envy of Angels count as horror?"

Sounds delicious to me. :)

message 9: by WendyB (new)

Cory wrote: "My book Bending Reality would qualify. There’s a very graphic scene in which the character eats some “questionable” food as well an in-detail expulsion scene."

Per the rules stated above: Authors may not nominate their own books.

message 11: by Greg (last edited Oct 15, 2020 09:45AM) (new)

Greg | 382 comments Gonna be hard without devolving into strictly cannibal horror.

Dead Clown Barbecue by Jeff Strand Dead Clown Barbecue by Jeff Strand

The Silence of the Lambs (Hannibal Lecter, #2) by Thomas Harris The Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris

message 12: by Karla (new)

message 13: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay (llbookrat) | 3 comments Tender is the Flesh!!!

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 2258 comments Greg wrote: "Gonna be hard without devolving into strictly cannibal horror.

Dead Clown Barbecue by Jeff Strand Dead Clown Barbecue by Jeff Strand

[bookcover:The Silence o..."

Ohhh! I’m in for Dead Clown Barbecue

message 15: by Chandler (new)

Chandler | 164 comments Would Harvest Home Harvest Home by Thomas Tryon be a good one? If so, I'll nominate that one.

I'll second Tender Is the Flesh by Agustina Bazterrica Tender Is the Flesh

[on hiatus] The rockabilly werewolf from Mars | 484 comments Chandler wrote: "Would Harvest HomeHarvest Home by Thomas Tryon be a good one? If so, I'll nominate that one.

I'll second Tender Is the Flesh by Agustina BazterricaTender Is the Flesh"

I'll second Harvest Home, as I am currently reading it.

message 17: by Jocelyn (new)

Jocelyn Santarossa | 1 comments I’ll second Silence of the Lambs!

message 18: by REMEMBER UKRAINE NOW ReadingReindeer (last edited Oct 15, 2020 10:32AM) (new)

REMEMBER UKRAINE NOW ReadingReindeer (readingreindeerproximacentauri) | 191 comments Nominating Feast of Fear, caution that it is extreme and may be offensive to some.

Second The Vegetarian

message 19: by Jason (new)

Jason | 444 comments Can it have food or eating or a meal in the title only or must it be solely plot

message 20: by WendyB (new)

Jason wrote: "Can it have food or eating or a meal in the title only or must it be solely plot"

Idealy, the plot.

message 23: by WendyB (new)

Maura wrote: "The Hunger"

The Hunger was read in Sept 2019 and doesn't qualify.
Please feel free to nominate something else.

message 24: by Zenda (new)

Zenda (zzmarie) | 29 comments I'll second Silence of the Lambs.

message 25: by Jason (new)

Jason | 444 comments Check out this book on Goodread: Succulent Prey https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5...

Can't. Put a picture up as on my phone

message 26: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 2 comments What about Dark Harvest by Norman Partridge
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

message 27: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Cavendish | 285 comments Vicki Beautiful by Somer Canon republished by Crossroad Press in November 2018 would definitely fit the bill :) Vicki Beautiful by Somer Canon

message 28: by Charleston (new)

Charleston Ducote (somefreakylooknchick) | 2 comments any of the Hannibal books
The Silence of the Lambs (Hannibal Lecter, #2) by Thomas Harris
Red Dragon (Hannibal Lecter, #1) by Thomas Harris
Hannibal (Hannibal Lecter, #3) by Thomas Harris
Hannibal Rising (Hannibal Lecter, #4) by Thomas Harris

message 29: by Janet (new)

Janet   | 32 comments Another vote for Dinner with the Cannibal Sisters

message 30: by Vickie (new)

Vickie (bookfan4ever) I'll give a +1 to Thinner by Richard Bachman Thinner

message 31: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Zaccaria | 159 comments +1 to Harvest Home

message 32: by Janet (last edited Oct 15, 2020 01:00PM) (new)

Janet   | 32 comments I nominate Sour Candy by Kealan Patrick Burke Sour Candy

message 33: by JT (new)

JT | 1 comments On a modern Lovecraft note, The Atomic Sea by Jack Conner, is a good one about avoiding seafood. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

[on hiatus] The rockabilly werewolf from Mars | 484 comments I'm going to indulge in my obsession with obscure 80s horror and nominate The Happy Man.

message 35: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 6174 comments Mod
The rockabilly werewolf from Mars wrote: "I'm going to indulge in my obsession with obscure 80s horror and nominate The Happy Man."

I'll second The Happy Man: A Tale of Horror The Happy Man A Tale of Horror by Eric C. Higgs --I've been meaning to read this one!!

message 36: by Raimondo (new)

Raimondo Lagioia (raimondolagioia) | 1 comments I nominate Exquisite Corpse Exquisite Corpse by Poppy Z. Brite

message 37: by WendyB (new)

I'm thrilled with the books you all have suggested so far. I thought this theme could be a bit tough but you've come through great.
Keep 'em coming!

message 38: by Niquole (new)

Niquole Abram (queenofheartz44) | 24 comments I vote for The Vegetarian by Han Kang https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 39: by Alec (new)

Alec | 4 comments I’m also casting my vote for The Vegetarian. It’ll be a good reason to finish that one!

Jen from Quebec :0) (muppetbaby99) | 397 comments I simply cannot EVER ignore a Stephen King/Bachman nomination. As a CONSTANT READER it is my job to vote for Uncle Stevie. Even though it is a re-read for me, I 2nd Thinner Thinner by Richard Bachman Thanks! ---Jen from Quebec :0)

(PS) 'Thinner' was the very 1st King book I ever read, at the age of 9. That...didn't go well with the parents. :0)

message 41: by Emmett (new)

Emmett (emmett13) | 63 comments Also going to second Tender Is the Flesh.

message 42: by Marie Helene (last edited Oct 16, 2020 12:55AM) (new)

message 43: by Jocelyne (last edited Oct 16, 2020 07:47AM) (new)

Jocelyne March-Clapp | 8 comments I nominate Graham Masterton's Ritual This is definitely a book about food...but not the kind you think.

message 44: by Vickie (new)

Vickie (bookfan4ever) Ooh, I really like Graham Masterton, so I'll +1 Ritual by Graham Masterton Ritual

message 45: by Anabella (new)

Anabella | 81 comments Children of the Corn?

message 46: by M.E. (last edited Oct 17, 2020 02:44AM) (new)

M.E. | 409 comments +1 Ritual by Graham Masterton Ritual
+1 The Happy Man A Tale of Horror by Eric C. Higgs The Happy Man

I've had both on my Kindle for ages without reading them.

message 47: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Robinson (tracy_reads79) Food Fright by Nico Bell

message 48: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Robinson (tracy_reads79) Tender is the Flesh is amazing. Favorite book so far this year

message 49: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 11078 comments Mod
Tanya wrote: "I nominateSour Candy by Kealan Patrick Burke Sour Candy"

+1

message 50: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 11078 comments Mod
The rockabilly werewolf from Mars wrote: "I'm going to indulge in my obsession with obscure 80s horror and nominate The Happy Man."

+1 i already have the audio book of this.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.