Start by marking “Thinner” as Want to Read:
Thinner

Thinner

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  175,724 ratings  ·  2,601 reviews
Billy Halleck, good husband, loving father, is both beneficiary and victim of the American Good Life: he has an expensive home, a nice family, and a rewarding career as a lawyer...but he is also fifty pounds overweight and, as his doctor keeps reminding him, edging into heart attack country.

Then, in a moment of carelessness, Billy sideswipes an old gypsy woman as she is cr
Mass Market Paperback, 451-AE3796 (US/CAN), 318 pages
Published September 1st 1985 by Signet / New American Library (first published November 19th 1984)

·  175,724 ratings  ·  2,601 reviews

Start your review of Thinner
Jeffrey Keeten
Nov 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, book-to-film
“Some guys-- a lot of guys---don't believe what they are seeing, especially if it gets in the way of what they eat or drink or think or believe. Me, I don't believe in God. But if I saw him, I would. I wouldn't just go around saying 'Jesus, that was a great special effect.' The definition of an asshole is a guy who doesn't believe what he's seeing. And you can quote me.”
Richie “The Hammer” Ginelli

photo Thinner20Movie_zpsvr8ydode.jpg

William Halleck is a damn fine lawyer, a rising star in his firm, and well liked by judges and
Kemper
Sep 22, 2007 rated it liked it
And I thought the Atkins Diet sounded unhealthy…

William Halleck is a successful lawyer living in upper middle class splendor in a Connecticut suburb with his wife and daughter, and his biggest problem is that he’s overweight. His perfect life is upset when he accidently ran over an old Gypsy woman when he was *ahem* distracted behind the wheel. Since Billy is one of the solid taxpayers who plays golf with all the right people the whole mess is quickly tidied up in court without him getting so mu
Ahmad Sharabiani
Thinner, Stephen King

Thinner is a 1984 novel by Stephen King, published under his pseudonym Richard Bachman. It was the last novel King released under the Richard Bachman pseudonym.

Billy Halleck, an arrogant and morbidly obese lawyer in Connecticut, has recently fought an agonizing court case in which he was charged with vehicular manslaughter. He cannot seem to lose weight or control his eating.

While he had been driving across town, his wife Heidi distracted him by masturbating him, causing h
Paul O'Neill
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my third time reading this, and I love it even more. In my top five King books of all time. Love, love, love, love it! And that ending! Still one of the best in a King book.

__________

Loved it, it's every bit as good as I remembered and more. One of my favourites of all time and one of the best / creepiest audiobooks.

Highly, thoroughly and totally recommended.
Will M.
The premise really prompted me to read this novel. Aside from the fact that King wrote this, the premise really made me curious as to what the novel was all about. It was about a man who got cursed, and now he's losing weight everyday, and he fears that it will come to a point where he'll turn into nothing.

Everything was good, but nothing was great. That's the main problem of the novel for me. While the start of the novel was batshit amazing and fast paced, the middle and the end was a huge drag
Ginger
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, buddy-read
This was an addicting and enjoyable book to read!

It’s a great revenge novel and I enjoyed reading about how Billy Halleck goes from a big, fat man to something rather morbid.

Billy Halleck, an upscale attorney accidentally hits and kills an old gypsy woman in his car when she steps out from the sidewalk. Now is he guilty of vehicular manslaughter or not? Unfortunately for Billy, an old gypsy man believes he is and puts a curse on him. The old gypsy man touches his check and says "THINNER".

Or did
Bren
“The definition of an asshole is a guy who doesn't believe what he's seeing.”
― Richard Bachman, Thinner

Does anyone reaalize this book has an average rating of only 3.32 on here?

How dare they??!! LOL.

Best Stephen King book ever! The only king book to make it into my all time favorite books list. I loved Genelli. More another time.
Dan Schwent
Dec 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Overweight lawyer William Halleck strikes and kills a gypsy woman who is crossing the street. He is acquitted but a relative of the woman touches Halleck's cheek and curses him. Now he's losing three pounds a day with no end in sight. Can he track down the gypsy man and get him to remove the curse or will he waste away to nothing?

What's so scary about a fat guy losing weight? A lot, it turns out. Never has getting a tug job in the car from your wife gotten someone into so much trouble. I felt fo
Sue
Nov 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scary

I’ve only read a few of Stephen Kings book but I have watched more in movies.

This is the first one as Richard Bachman.

And yes, I did enjoy it and would recommend for anyone who likes dark side/light horror.
I don’t like horror, this is more “jumpy” as you Imagine “stuff” that happens.

I’m rating this personally as a 3.5 due to I’ve read more psychological thrillers worse than this.
Great introduction to Bachman’s work though.

Funny ending. As in odd, strange.
Carol
The older Stephen King novels continue to amaze me......this one grabbed me from page one and did not let go! When grossly overweight attorney Billy Helleck unintentionally hits (view spoiler) an old gypsy woman who darts out into the street, (view spoiler) the incident is not properly investigated, and soon after, he, his buddy Judge Cory who presided plus friend, Officer Hopley are "touched" and "cursed" by ...more
Paula
Jan 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Billy Halleck is living a good life. He's an up-and-coming lawyer, has a wife and a teenage daughter, and a nice home. He is also overweight, a fact which his doctor is always reminding him of. One day while driving, Billy accidently sideswipes an old gypsy woman who is crossing the street and kills her. Billy is cleared of any charges for this incident, as he is good friends with the police and the judge. There's also no love lost between law enforcement and the gypsies, since the police just w ...more
Lyn
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is a certain directness, a freight train coming down the tracks quality about Stephen King’s early Richard Bachman books that I very much enjoy. King writes an unrelenting cause and effect that is terrifying because it does not jump out and yell BOO! but rather walks quietly up to you with a mask on and a butcher knife, like John Carpenter’s Michael Myers, a slow-motion dream scape of fear.

Thinner shares these qualities with other of King / Bachman books like The Running Man and The Long W
Glenn Sumi
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars rounded up to 4 for this lean (and in some ways, mean) thriller written under Stephen King's pulpy alias, Richard Bachman

After the epic Gone With The Wind, which took me a month and a half to read (I loved it), I wanted something light and relatively short to read next. Plus: Halloween was coming up! So I decided on this taut, tense thriller by Richard Bachman (a.k.a. Stephen King). It did the trick.

The premise is simple. Overweight, slightly smug East Coast lawyer Billy Halleck has a
Danger
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first saw the movie for this back in the 90s, long before I read this book. And if you've never seen the film, believe me when I say, it's bad. It’s AWESOMELY bad. Overacted, terribly-paced, full of dumb effects and the worst “fat suit” I’ve ever seen. But, for some reason, I can't help but love it. I’ll watch it over and over again on Netfilx like it was reruns of The Office. Maybe I just like terrible movies. I don’t know.

But, that said, I've never read this book. Never even thought about it
Vessey
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Vessey by: Jeffrey
Shelves: 5-stars, horror, crime, dark
"They were brightly dressed, but not in the peasant garb an older person might have associated with the Hollywood version of Gypsies in the thirties and forties. There were women in colorful sundresses, women in calf-length clamdigger pants, younger women in Jordache or Calvin Klein jeans. They looked bright, alive, somehow dangerous."

I would have read this book sooner, had I known what a dish it would turn out to be. I’m not sure if there’s a pun intended. I think I would have appreciated it ev
Amelia
First Stephen King book of the year and I guarantee there will be more.

Full review (but kinda short): https://amelianamora18.wixsite.com/am...
Rob
Aug 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, 2020-reads
Stand alone horror story by Stephen King under the pen name of Richard Bachman
First published in 1984.

This is not so much a classic horror story but it still has the chill factor that we’ve come to expect from Stephen King.
Billy Halleck and his wife, Heidi, are driving down Main Street minding there own business when Heidi decides, for the first time in her life, to get Billy sexually aroused whilst he is driving. Billy completely taken aback looks over at Heidi just as a woman walks out from be
J.K. Grice
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I really thought this was an interesting bit of a departure by King from a basic horror concept. More of a character study, complete with a gypsy curse and a man struggling not to lose his life and his sanity. THINNER is a great book!
Mar 31, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, z2017, fiction
3.5 stars.

This was my first Stephen King novel. I thought that it was good enough but not like great or anything.

I had two main problems with it. The first problem was with the pacing of the novel. The first half was good but when I reached the halfway point, I was confused because I felt like the conclusion should have been coming. The story was slowly building up from page one and it was creepy, ominous and eerie but then a good 25% of the novel just dragged on and on. I just thought the roa
Edward Lorn
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Had a tremendous amount of fun with this book this time around. I read it three times before, the last time being in 2015, and I have no idea what might have changed in my life to make me appreciate this book more nowadays, but I did. Appreciate it, that is.

Maybe because I had such low expectations going in this time? That's probably it, actually.

Video review: https://youtu.be/7K9xAaNKAME
Melissa Chung
Another Stephen King book read. I'm doing pretty good this year. I've spoken to a friend about how Richard Bachman books a.k.a. Stephen King books sound so different from his normal ones. There is a different voice associated with the Bachman books. King is a legend in my eyes and to be able to switch the sound of your own writing voice to coincide with your pen-name books is just remarkable.
I'm giving this book 3.5 stars. I don't really enjoy the Bachman books as much as I do King's books. The
Mario
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, own-read

And I just did, Ginelli.

4.5

Phew... this has been a ride. I started reading Thinner back in April of 2017, and I finished it alm
Latasha
3.5*

This was a first read for me and I have not seen the movie. I knew what it was about, though. Someone said this book was like a Lay's chip, hard to put down. She was right! I don't know what it was about this book but I read a ton in the last 2 days. The story is ok, enough to keep you hooked but not terribly suspenseful. I'd say most people know what the story is about before picking up the book. The dreams Billy has are pretty scary and what happens to his friends. the book really picks up
Bridgit Morgan
Nov 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been obsessed with Stephen King's work for about seven years, from the first moment I checked out "Carrie" from my high school's library. "Thinner" certainly did not disappoint! The stellar writing and the character's complexities brought me back to that feeling I got when I first picked up a King novel: the belief that, although the plot seems outrageously far-fetched, it still somehow feels real.
Jamie Stewart
Kaila
4/5 stars

“In many ways the world is nothing but a pile of shit. But it can also be very beautiful.”

Oh my god, I just flew through this book. It was just so fast-paced, gripping and entertaining, I really didn't want to put it down. As soon as I read the synopsis of this book I knew that it sounded like something I'd enjoy. It's a weird concept but when you really think about it, it's also terrifying. Basically, our main character has been cursed to lose weight...forever, with no end in sight
Erin
Thinner is my first Richard Bachman novel but from what I've heard Thinner is the most like a Stephen King novel. Obviously Richard Bachman is Stephen King but I've heard the Bachman novels have a different feel to them.

I've actually seen the movie Thinner several times and I was shocked by how faithful to the book that movie is. They even kept the same extremely dark ending.

Billy Halleck is a good husband, loving father and the embodiment of The American Dream...Until he runs down a "gypsy" w
Jes Reads
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
FULL REVIEW COMING SOON
Kalena W
4/5 stars, Stephen King is never bad tho

When I first started reading this book it really reminded me of the book Elevation also by Stephen King that I read this year. Both have similar premises, someone getting thinner and thinner and not a whole lot they can do to stop it. But this book was definitely a much darker and heavy take on that idea. Basically what I learned from this book is that people are mean and revenge is never truly the answer.

I enjoyed my read of this, I was content when I w
Maciek
'Thinner,' the old Gypsy man with the rotting nose whispers to William Halleck as Halleck and his wife, Heidi, come out of the courthouse. Just that one word, sent on the wafting, cloying sweetness of his breath. 'Thinner.' And before Halleck can jerk away, the old Gypsy reaches out and caresses his cheek with one twisted finger. His lips spread open like a wound, showing a few tombstone stumps poking out of his gums. They are black and green. His tongue squirms between them and then slides out ...more
Horror Aficionados : * November 2020 Group Read - Thinner 13 129 Nov 17, 2020 01:38PM
Stephen King Fans: Thinner-book 21 20 67 Nov 27, 2019 03:06PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Thinner by Richard Bachman - Starting April 14, 2019 2 13 Apr 23, 2019 01:11PM
Goodreads Librari...: Possible Wrong ISBN/Edition 7 28 Oct 10, 2018 05:18PM
Stephen King 2020...: June's Reads and catch up's 16 26 Jul 20, 2018 01:01PM
Horror Aficionados : Stephen King challenge #19 THINNER 160 144 Oct 25, 2017 10:09AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: # 22 Thinner 1 1 Jun 13, 2017 09:34AM

• The Green Mile: The Screenplay
  • Pet Sematary
  • The Dead Zone
  • Gerald's Game
This is a Stephen King pseudonym.

At the beginning of Stephen King's career, the general view among publishers was that an author was limited to one book per year, since publishing more would be unacceptable to the public. King therefore wanted to write under another name, in order to increase his publication without over-saturating the market for the King "brand". He convinced his publisher, Signe