Historical Regency Romance Lovers Group! discussion

Reading now! > What are you reading now?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 133 (133 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Sally (new)

Sally Forbes | 20 comments Mod
Hello everyone!!
How are you?

So, which book are you reading now? Which one would you highly recommend?

message 2: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (shubbuch) | 3 comments I am reading Once Dishonored by Mary Jo Putney, Almost done and so far would definitely recommend it! Wonderful characters ! This is a fun series and I have enjoyed appearances from other characters from previous stories.

message 3: by alta (new)

alta c. (altica) | 6 comments I’m working my way through the earlier Mary Balogh books, having consumed all the more recent series. Just finished Notorious Rake. 3 1/2 stars. I find Balogh the best for the slow pacing to allow characters to develop and emotions to change over time. I’m also a fan of Tessa Dare for her wacky plots, and Julia Quinn for her humor.

message 4: by Sara (new)

Sara (saradcj) | 2 comments Just starting “Anything but a Gentleman” by Elissa Braden (#8 in her Rescued from Ruin Series).

message 5: by Sally (new)

Sharon wrote: "I am reading Once Dishonored by Mary Jo Putney, Almost done and so far would definitely recommend it! Wonderful characters ! This is a fun series and I have enjoyed appearances from other character..."

That's very interesting! I think I should check it!

message 6: by Sally (new)

Sara wrote: "Just starting “Anything but a Gentleman” by Elissa Braden (#8 in her Rescued from Ruin Series)."

A friend of mine said that this is a masterpiece! Is that true?

message 7: by Sally (new)

R. wrote: "I’m working my way through the earlier Mary Balogh books, having consumed all the more recent series. Just finished Notorious Rake. 3 1/2 stars. I find Balogh the best for the slow pacing to allow ..."

Every author has a different writing style. I love Tessa's work but all of these three great authors inspire me every day!

message 8: by Elaine (new)

Elaine Hello everyone.
I'm reading The Nine Lives of Lord Knightly by Dayna Quince.

message 9: by Elda (new)

Elda | 1 comments I just finished reading the ARC of Bree Wolf’s soon to be released book ‘Persuaded and Rescued’. I have read almost all of Ms Wolf’s books and love them all. She has a unique style of writing and many have psychological twists and romantic turns. But all have a great HEA.

message 10: by Elaine (new)

Elaine Just getting into To Tame a Scoundrel's Heart by Collette Cameron. I think this is my first of this author.

message 11: by Linda (new)

Linda | 2 comments Bringing down the Duke by Evie Dunmore, To Have and to Hoax by Martha Waters and trying to finish up The Zookeeper's Wife by Diane Ackerman.

message 12: by Elaine (new)

Elaine Nearly finished Unmask Me If You Can by Shana Galen.

message 13: by Elaine (last edited Oct 25, 2020 06:16AM) (new)

Elaine Hi everyone
Lady Reckless by Scarlett Scott.

message 14: by alta (new)

alta c. (altica) | 6 comments Working my way through the 1797 club series by Jess Michaels but I may not finish it. The books begin well if one is the mood for more of a plot driven rather than character driven story. The characters are fine but it's the set-ups that drive the book. Unfortunately, the ends are a rush of unlikely and extreme events in an effort to tie up all loose ends in gunfire or kidnapping or other high drama events, often coupled with just in time and quite unlikely changes of heart in key unsavory, unlikable characters or just in time quite unlikely confessions by villains, and that saves the heroine and hero so they get their happily ever. Endings are tough, always, as there is a lot to accomplish, but in these books, I think the endings needed to be much much better. A shame, because for beginning and much of middle, it's a fun escapist romp.

message 15: by Lejean (new)

Lejean Maurer | 1 comments Virtue and Value by Collette Cameron.

message 16: by Elaine (new)

Elaine No Rest For the Wicked by Lauren Smith
No Rest for the Wicked Pirates of Britannia Connected World by Lauren Smith

message 17: by Elaine (last edited Nov 19, 2020 11:37AM) (new)

Elaine Just this moment finished Guarding Danger by Wendy Vella. One of my favourite series!
Guarding Danger (Sinclair and Raven #7) by Wendy Vella

message 18: by Beth (new)

Beth Sullivan | 1 comments Just finished Sally Ford’s “Romancing the Emotional Duke”.

message 19: by alta (new)

alta c. (altica) | 6 comments just finished reading the 4-book dressmakers series by Loretta Chase and it was an entirely enjoyable romp. Not a lot of realism - but gorgeous descriptions of clothing, some fun moments with disguises and faked accents and hilarious franglish dialogue, some affecting sickbed scenes and in the last book a very funny "trial" that featured wit and humor.

https://lorettachase.com/books

message 20: by Sara (new)

Sara (womanoftheyear) | 3 comments When You Wish Upon A Duke by Isabella Bradford and before that Never Love A Cowboy by Lorraine Heath

message 21: by Elaine (new)

Elaine Vladimir by Carole Mortimer
Vladimir (Russian Dragon Heat 1) by Carole Mortimer

message 22: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Allen | 3 comments Just finished Brass Carriages and Glass Hearts. I absolutely love this historical steampunk series. If y'all haven't ventured in to Nancy Campbell Allen, do. She's so good!

message 23: by Shaz (last edited Dec 10, 2020 01:08PM) (new)

Shaz | 12 comments I recently read a book called Masquerade by Brenda Joyce. The Masquerade (deWarenne Dynasty, #5) by Brenda Joyce This book was a keeper for me. Lot going on in this story, With nice characters.

message 24: by Becky (new)

Becky (ebab) | 69 comments Madame's Christmas Marquis (His Majesty's Hounds) by Arietta Richmond Madame's Christmas Marquis by Arietta Richmond in PDF form
A lovely historical Christmas romance novella. Madame Beaumarais has walked away from the life she knew in France to be safe, and watched her husband Jacques, leave her behind to find and save his brother. Now, after 4 years, Collette is a very well known and sought after by the ton and elite, Modiste in London. At Christmas time every year, she remembers her dear Jacques and cries. Getting to the point that she feels she will never see him again. Jacques, the Marquis de Beaumarais's brother has died and now, after 4 years, he is free to find his jewel, Collette in London. This short story is so sweet and fun to read. Yes, it is predictable, but it was so fun getting there. I would definitely recommend this novella to all for a wonderful holiday read. 5 star review

message 25: by Shaz (new)

Shaz | 12 comments I am reading Bride for a knight by Margaret Moore. Set in England 1214. Part of a 3 book series’s

message 26: by Sara (new)

Sara (womanoftheyear) | 3 comments I'm rereading Julia Quinn's Bridgerton series. I finished The Duke and I, The Viscount Who Loved Me including the 2nd Epilogue, and I'm currently reading An Offer From a Gentleman. I love this series and looking forward to the new Netflix series.

message 27: by Sally (new)

Sara wrote: "I'm rereading Julia Quinn's Bridgerton series. I finished The Duke and I, The Viscount Who Loved Me including the 2nd Epilogue, and I'm currently reading An Offer From a Gentleman. I love this seri..."

I have to agree about the Bridgerton series! The Netflix version is awesome!

message 28: by Shaz (new)

Shaz | 12 comments I have just finished watching the Bridgertons on Netflix . First episode, I was not to sure I would like it. Episode 2, I found it better by 3, I was hooked. Just finished watching the last one . Will be looking forward to the next series. Hope we don’t have to long to wait.

message 29: by Becky (last edited Dec 29, 2020 05:23PM) (new)

Becky (ebab) | 69 comments Letters from Home by Regina Jeffers Letters from Home by Regina Jeffers in PDF form
Mrs. Faith Lamont was married 3 short weeks when her husband, Deorsa Lamont went off to fight and eventually killed at Quatre Bras. The same place Major Simon Lanford, the new Earl of Clarendon was at and injured. Faiths life with her husbands family has been a nightmare and she is now the companion to her first cousin, the overbearing, brash Claire DeLong. Meeting the new Earl at his home estate for a holiday party, Claire has her eyes set on Simon. Their family is in need of money and this would be her best way out of the situation. Simon is not looking for a countess and he certainly has no liking to Miss DeLong. Simon would never wed out of obligation. He wants a gentle, intelligent, compassionate woman as his mother was. Simon's aunt is a very controlling and demanding woman. Simon didn't like her before he left to fight, and he certainly doesn't now. He hopes to put her on the next carriage out after the holidays to make her son miserable. The attraction between Faith and Simon is quick and fierce. But Faith knows she isn't in the same class as the Earl. Can two hearts from two different worlds survive the insurmountable challenges to find a future together? This was a delightful short story with strong characters. A clean historical romance for the holidays.

message 30: by alta (new)

alta c. (altica) | 6 comments Sigh - I am among those who did not care for the Netflix Bridgerton series. The introduction of new characters (the Queen, the Prince), new plot lines (Mr. Featherington's gambling), the weird distortion mashing up the story of Marina (Sir Phillip's first wife, before Eloise), the premature disclosure of Penelope's identity as Lady Whistledown, the presentation of Anthony as not just "rake" but pathetic rake, etc etc etc etc -- it was just too much and too far. Plus the hair was all wrong, the behaviors outlandish for the period, the music and dances all wrong for the period. But more than anything, I missed the wit and humor of Quinn's writing. It just didn't work for me in this production. I really wish it had, because I looked forward to the series as a treat for an otherwise quiet quarantine-2020 day that usually is spent with friends or family.

message 31: by Sara (last edited Dec 30, 2020 01:11PM) (new)

Sara (womanoftheyear) | 3 comments One of the things to remember about the Bridgerton adaptations is that it is based on the Julia Quinn's novels. Essentially, the director and the writers have created a new story out of the characters we love. I'm a huge fan of Julia Quinn and have read all her books. I've been rereading her Bridgerton series to reacquaint myself with the Bridgerton world. So on the one hand, I was looking forward to this series, I also know that this would be "new" and not follow the books to the letter. As a librarian, I can always refer back to the statement that "the book was better." Having said that, I looked at the show from an entertainment standpoint and overlooked the historical inaccuracies of hair and so many other details I decided to look the other way and just enjoy the visual aspects of the production and enjoy the storytelling. I liked seeing the Bridgertons come to life and the settings that historical dramas require. In that way, I wasn't disappointed. I reacted similarly to yours when the 2005 adaptation of Pride and Prejudice was made. I'm devoted to Colin Firth as Darcy and the 1995 BBC production. In time, I have reminded myself that movie interpretations of my favorite books are adaptations, another telling of the story and I can appreciate them by themselves. I always defer back to the book. Even though the books are always better than the movies, I do enjoy visual entertainment as well. Books do not always translate well to the screen. And yes there were some new characters, but they didn't detract wholly from my enjoying the series. I also enjoy looking at the series from a filmmaker's viewpoint and everything that goes into producing a such a series. For a change, we got some nice eye candy from the male characters and not so much of the women. This series was made for women.

message 32: by alta (new)

alta c. (altica) | 6 comments Sara wrote: "One of the things to remember about the Bridgerton adaptations is that it is based on the Julia Quinn's novels. Essentially, the director and the writers have created a new story out of the charact..."

Of course you are absolutely right that adaptations respond to a new medium and a new audience, and so quite legitimately deviate from the books. My problem here was partly just how far it deviated. But even more than that, I really did want more period authenticity for the eye candy, as that is much of what makes me love period pieces, ie the chance too immerse in a world not my own but one that is still true to reality. The biggest problem, though, was just not hearing Quinn's humor and wit come through. That said, I must agree this was made for women - especially the staircase scene. And indeed, in all the romance novels, I have noticed a tendency to reverse the usual proportions of men orally entertaining women versus women entertaining men the same way!

message 33: by GRF (new)

GRF | 4 comments I am one of the few readers that didn’t enjoy Julia Quinn’s novels very much. But I’ll give them another chance. Sometimes the opinions change according to the moods one is having during reading. A glass of Champagne might help...
I was reading Louise Allen’s novels this week: His Christmas Countess and Surrender to the Marquess. I like Allen’s writing. She is not my favourite author (like Evie Dunmore or Mia Vinci), but her characters are likeable and funny, even though the don’t always feel true for the time period.

message 34: by Mary (new)

Mary (twinkiesmom1) | 2 comments alta wrote: "Sigh - I am among those who did not care for the Netflix Bridgerton series. The introduction of new characters (the Queen, the Prince), new plot lines (Mr. Featherington's gambling), the weird dist..."
Shondaland was not the right production company for this series.

message 35: by Mary (new)

Mary (twinkiesmom1) | 2 comments I'm working my way through all of Mary Kingswood's books. I probably liked the Sons of the Marquess series best. She is great at worldbuilding, and the characters are interconnected between series. It's fairly clean romance with some really naughty characters thrown in (with most of the naughty stuff off screen).

message 36: by Shaz (new)

Shaz | 12 comments I am reading The Bride Wore Scarlet by Liz Carlyle.

message 37: by Becky (new)

Becky (ebab) | 69 comments Dukedom of the Beast by Tiffany Baton Dukedom of the Beast by Tiffany Baton on Kindle
Lady Nancy Bolton was everything a Duke’s daughter should be: beautiful, mild-mannered, and with an advantageous marriage already planned. Until her reputation was irreparably ruined.
For Philip Wallace, Duke of Peterhum, the vicious attack that took his parents, left its scars not only on his soul but his skin as well. Shunned by the same society that once welcomed him, he comes out of his self-imposed exile to try and save Nancy from the same fate.
However, when she goes inexplicably missing, Philip is terrified to see the horrors of his past come alive once again. Desperate to get to her before it’s too late, Philip must become what people have been accusing him of being for years. For every beauty needs her beast to protect her from everything but him.

message 38: by Becky (last edited Feb 06, 2021 12:44PM) (new)

Becky (ebab) | 69 comments The Melody of A Lady's Heart by Aria Norton The Melody of A Lady's Heart: A Historical Regency Romance Book by Aria Norton on Kindle. ARC
Lady Helena Barclay is so moved by a violinist's performance at the opera, she decides she just has to learn to play the violin. Her musical ability is overwhelming, that she feels she can learn it easily. After badgering her parents and again getting what she wants, she is dumbstruck when she finds her new tutor to be no other than the violinist, Nathaniel Baudelaire, whom she met at the opera. Nathan has always loathed the aristocratic bunch after his own mother was left by one when she became pregnant with him. Nathan was quite taken with Helena when she approached him at the opera until his boss came and started talking with her. Then it seems he was cast off by her. So it was also his surprise to find out his new student is no other than Lady Barclay. This story and romance take's many twists and turns. We find out much about these two characters throughout the book. A sweet, historical romance. I did find though, that it got terribly dragged out and it needed to be proofed better. Other than that, I really enjoyed the storyline.

message 39: by Shaz (new)

Shaz | 12 comments I am reading The Thief Steals Her Earl The Thief Steals Her Earl by Christina McKnight It has started off as a good read.

message 40: by Becky (new)

Becky (ebab) | 69 comments Shaz wrote: "I am reading The Thief Steals Her Earl The Thief Steals Her Earl by Christina McKnight It has started off as a good read."

message 41: by Becky (new)

Becky (ebab) | 69 comments Stealing the Earl's Heart by Aria Norton Stealing the Earl's Heart: A Historical Regency Romance Book by Aria Norton on Kindle. ARC
A young lady, Charlotte, who has taken to thievery to keep her destitute family from losing their home and honor. After her father died, they discovered he had mistress and two legitimate children and also they had no more money. To keep her mothers standing, for what it was in the community, she let people think the children were hers and she took to stealing from others just to put food on the table. Her mother has a tremendous gambling debt from which she was scammed into, and if it isn't paid, the awful Duke, whom her mother owns the gambling debt to, will either take their house and land, or she becomes his mistress. Charlotte learns about Francis, The Earl of Totnes mothers pink diamond and that it would cover the debt. She leaves for London to stay with a friend and devises a way to steal it. The major plot thickens when the Duke himself catches her in the act. From then on, the story has many twists and turns. I found the story line fun and interesting at first, but then it dragged on so badly, I was scanning, turning pages just to move on. There were too many subplots to keep track and I found that horribly distracting. The proofing of the Kindle version is atrocious! Wrong names being used, grammar awful. I was deeply disappointed in this book as I have read many of her works that I really enjoyed. 2 stars

message 42: by Eliza (new)

Eliza Carlisle (eliza_carlisle) | 1 comments I just finished "A Rogue of One's Own" by Evie Dunmore. I'd like to recommend my debut novel, "Lady Edgeworth's Secrets," which is currently featured as a Kindle Countdown Deal on Amazon! https://www.amazon.com/Lady-Edgeworth...

message 43: by Elaine (new)

Elaine I'm halfway through The Spinster and the Rake by Eva Devon. Loving it so far!

message 44: by Susan (new)

Susan | 2 comments I just finished A Lady Compromised by Darcie Wilde and I loved it. I’m now going to read the third one, And Dangerous To Know, which I missed. These are perhaps not strictly romances, but I love the main character and the Victorian setting in upper class England. Maybe some romance in the future?

message 45: by Becky (last edited Feb 21, 2021 12:49PM) (new)

Becky (ebab) | 69 comments Following her Heart's Compass by Lilah Rivers Following her Heart's Compass: An Inspirational Historical Romance Book by Lilah Rivers on Kindle. ARC
Two people brought together not knowing how much they really need each other. Anita is leaving her family as a mail order bride to lessen three burdens on her family. One financially and the other by viscous rumors by some of the townspeople regarding the morality of her. Third, all lies set out by a wicked man who is use to getting what he wants, and when he doesn't get it, does unspeakable things. Will is back from the war without his brother, who was killed. Feeling guilty that he was left to survive while many didn't, he doesn't believe he deserves happiness. Will's mother was the one who sent the letters and requested Anita to come to marry Will. Will is very angry by this deception and lets it be known he does not want to marry. A clean, spiritual, inspirational historical romance. I really enjoyed this story. The characters were well defined, strong and believable. I did find it boring after a while with all the scripture passages. I felt it was unnecessary and took away from the reading of the book. I found myself scanning past much of it. I felt smaller bits and pieces would have sufficed.

message 46: by Becky (last edited Mar 01, 2021 09:17AM) (new)

Becky (ebab) | 69 comments Conveniently Trapped with the Marquess by Hanna Hamilton Conveniently Trapped with the Marquess: A Historical Regency Romance Novel by Hanna Hamilton in Kindle. ARC
Lady Alice Softcreek witnessed her father's horrific grief after the passing of her mother. She vowed then to never fall that deeply in love with someone and to deal with the grief of losing them. So she plans to never marry. The Marquess of Eearhum, William Millington is known for a rake, someone who woos's women only to leave them all alone. William and his brother Christopher have been invited to the Manor of Alice's father for their ball and to do some matchmaking. Alice immediately finds the Marquess distasteful and wants nothing to do with him, while Christopher has eyes on Alice's sister Emma. But the magnetism between Lady Alice and William is difficult to be denied. Now there is another plot in the equation. Someone does not want these two getting together. People's lives are now being endangered. This was a clean, historical romance book with many twists and turns. With romance, suspense, and mystery. The characters in this book were very well defined and realistic. You really got to know them. The only con of the book on Kindle, was it needed to be proofed better. I would highly recommend this book.

message 47: by Becky (last edited Mar 05, 2021 08:26AM) (new)

Becky (ebab) | 69 comments Eleanor by Martha Keyes Eleanor by Martha Keyes in PDF form
A very refreshing short story. Lawrence Debenham is sent by his overbearing parents to a run-down estate to prove his inheritance. Eleanor Renwick is headed to her new home with her younger brother John. Her carriage has lost a wheel and now she must find a place to wait out the repair. Lawrence overhears the landlord of the local inn berate her. He asks them to stay with him. Wonderful relationships begin to form between Lawrence, Eleanor, and John. I really enjoyed John and his antics. This is a clean, fun, historical romance. Just so delightful to read. I would certainly recommend it

message 48: by Shaz (new)

Shaz | 12 comments I have just finished reading, Julie Anne Long’s Pennyroyal Green series book 1 to11 found each story got better as I was reading them. Started off with 3 stars up to 5 stars by the end of the series.

message 49: by MG (new)

MG *Bury Me with My Kindle.. & a REALLY Long Charger* (martrob) | 7 comments $1.99 Deal of the Day!

The Devil in Winter: Wallflowers #3 (Lisa Kleypas) --> Devil in Winter (Wallflowers, #3) by Lisa Kleypas
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FCKRDI
^^^Highly recommend if you like a seemingly irredeemable H that falls hard for the shyest of the wallflowers

message 50: by MG (new)

MG *Bury Me with My Kindle.. & a REALLY Long Charger* (martrob) | 7 comments $1.99 Jude Deveraux Book on Sale!

The Temptress: Montgomery/Taggert #3 (Jude Deveraux) --> The Temptress (Montgomery/Taggert, #3) by Jude Deveraux
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FC0ZV2

« previous 1 3