Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > Fall ‘20 Read-a-thon: Halfway Check-in

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Laura | 3784 comments Mod
I hope your week is going well and that you’re making solid progress in your reading goals! I thought we could check in on those goals as we move into the second half of the event.

A few questions for you:
What challenges and distractions have you faced this read-a-thon?
What is your favorite book so far?
How's your team and individual challenges going?
What have you accomplished so far in this read-a-thon?
What are your goals for the remainder of the read-a-thon?

Now is also a great time to go in and update your Individual Challenge with your reading progress! I’d you have reached 2,000 points then be sure to enter your info in the Raffle so you have the opportunity to pick a prompt for the 2021 list.

message 2: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 245 comments What challenges and distractions have you faced this read-a-thon?
Work and getting side-tracked by non-reading activities

Piranesi 5 stars

I'm not on a team this time. I think the individual challenge is going okay, but I need to stay focused in order to meet the 2000 point threshold.

I finished one book so far and am making headway in my 2nd book.

In addition to finishing my current book, ideally I want to read 2 more books by the end of the read-a-thon, though I need just one of them to complete my individual challenge goal.

message 3: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2572 comments What challenges and distractions have you faced this read-a-thon?
None really.

The Sadness of Beautiful Things: Stories by Simon Van Booy

Both are going great! I just met the 2000 point individual threshold.

Finished 3 books (all count for the annual and fall challenge), have 2 started and 2 others checked out.

Read every day and finish 1-2 more books.

message 4: by Roxana (new)

Roxana (luminate) | 429 comments What challenges and distractions have you faced this read-a-thon? Just the usual life getting in the way, nothing significant so far.
What is your favorite book so far? Piranesi, a book I've basically been waiting over a decade for...and which definitely did not disappoint.
How's your team and individual challenges going? My team seems to be doing pretty well! I'm not a great deal of help with the guessing, lol, but I'm happy to focus on getting us more guesses instead ;)
What have you accomplished so far in this read-a-thon? I've finished 4 books so far (plus a volume of comics) and really loved all of them.
What are your goals for the remainder of the read-a-thon? I have 3 or 4 more books I'd like to finish in this time, 4 is definitely the pushing-it number but I think I can complete the first 3.

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2687 comments What challenges and distractions have you faced this read-a-thon?
Literally my own tendency to waste time. I wanted to get a lot of reading done today, and ended up spending most of the afternoon watching random videos instead.

I've only finished 2, both 4 stars so far. The one I'm currently reading (The German House) has potential to be my favourite so far though, but I'm only halfway through.

Team challenge seems to be going well because we've gone through quite a few puzzles. Unfortunately, I'm having trouble keeping up with what's going on in the group and seem to always miss out on the guesses.

Individual challenge is doing well. I should be able to earn enough points for the raffle if I stop distracting myself with videos and actually read.

I've finished 2 books

Finish at least 2 more books, ideally 3.

message 6: by Robin P, Orbicular Mod (new)

Robin P | 1924 comments Mod
A few questions for you:
What challenges and distractions have you faced this read-a-thon? Weather got nice so I was outside more. Also watching baseball, which only has a couple weeks left

Black No More a satire from the Harlem Renaissance about a scientist who finds a way to turn black people white. The author, who was Black himself, makes fun of both races, and of politicians, philanthropists, businessmen, Southerners, etc.

How's your team and individual challenges going? My team rocks! I have contributed by finishing books but other people have been amazingly fast at guessing answers. I got the raffle the first day because I had only a bit over 100 pages each in 2 books and they each matched 1000 point categories. This was random as I had started the books before the game was announced.

What have you accomplished so far in this read-a-thon? I finished 5 books, which is more than I expected. I try to save short books for this purpose.

What are your goals for the remainder of the read-a-thon? I hope to finish 3 more books.

message 7: by Kim (last edited Sep 17, 2020 10:36AM) (new)

Kim (kmyers) | 513 comments What challenges and distractions have you faced this read-a-thon? Finding books that have amazed me.
What is your favorite book so far? By stars, it would have to be A Midsummer Night's Dream, but the rating reflected more the quality of the book, rather than my personal enjoyment of it.

How's your team and individual challenges going? It was my first read-a-thon, so I'm only doing the individual challenge. I can definitely see myself doing the team challenge next time.

What have you accomplished so far in this read-a-thon? Finished six books, 5200 pts

What are your goals for the remainder of the read-a-thon? Most importantly, finish Hild, which I've been working on for 5 years, and had only made it halfway through the book. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now, since I have less than 100 pages to go. I'll probably read 3 or 4 more along the way, including an ARC I received last month.

Edit: Yay, finished Hild today!

message 8: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (fancynancyt) | 1048 comments What challenges and distractions have you faced this read-a-thon? Like everyone else, life getting in the way. I'm lower on my page count than I'd like to be but I'm making up for it in audio.

What is your favorite book so far?I'm halfway through The Miniaturist which is shaping up to be my favorite of the challenge.

How's your team and individual challenges going? I have one entry into the individual raffle so far. My team is rocking the puzzles though, we're already on #8 and we've had members guess the answer from one letter, and in some cases, no letters, just by doing some sleuthing. I feel a bit inadequate, tbh!

What have you accomplished so far in this read-a-thon? I've finished 3 books so far.

What are your goals for the remainder of the read-a-thon? Finish the 2 I have going and maybe one more short one.

message 9: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 1786 comments What challenges and distractions have you faced this read-a-thon?
Despite having an extra day off, work has been busy and I've felt a bit too tired to read by the time it's over.

I've only finished two but I think Afterland will be if it doesn't have a rubbish ending.

Everybody's so good at puzzles! Puzzle 6 was hard but turned out most of us hadn't heard of the book. I didn't really plan my individual challenge books very well but by a lucky break my banned book for Popsugar was partially set in a library (and it was a comics collection over 200 pages, so quick to read). I think I'll hit 2000 points with Afterland...

Finished two books.

Finish Afterland and hopefully read something else short at the weekend.

message 10: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (new)

Jackie | 1394 comments Mod
It's been a much busier week than I even expected, which isn't a bad thing, but I haven't had a ton of time for reading.

A House at the Bottom of a Lake

My team does not need me lol, they are solving puzzles at breakneck speed. Individual is going well. I'm 400 points from getting my raffle entry.

2 books read! I finally got that pesky binary pair challenge behind me.

Read a mystery book, because that's the next ATY prompt I have, and get my raffle entry. Continue listening to Endurance while I row.

message 11: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 7512 comments Mod
Well, moderating the team challenge has been way more work than I expected it to be (and exactly as much work as the other mods expected it to be lol... when will I learn?)

I'm currently reading Anxious People and it's light and airy and hilarious (in true Backman style), and I'm really enjoying it. Plus it has short chapters so I feel like I'm being a lot more productive reading it than I probably am.

I'm giving my pages to the Weasley team, but they are getting on well with or without me. Skipped the individual challenge as I'm not sure I want the pressure of picking a prompt for the challenge haha.

Finished two books (one print and one audio)!

I'd like to finish Anxious People and at least getting a good bit of my next book out of the way... whatever it may be? Maybe The Red Queen for the historical fiction ATY prompt, or maybe starting Long Bright River for book club, or maybe picking up Transcendent Kingdom.

message 12: by Karissa (new)

Karissa | 440 comments What challenges and distractions have you faced this read-a-thon? Just work. All of my deadlines are falling in this week and when I get home my brain is mush.
What is your favorite book so far? Looking for Alaska by John Green
How's your team and individual challenges going? Both great! Already hit my 2000 pts for a raffle in the individual challenge.
What have you accomplished so far in this read-a-thon? Read every day and finished three books.
What are your goals for the remainder of the read-a-thon? Finish Interior Chinatown so I hit my goal of reading 4 books during the read-a-thon.

message 13: by Kathy (last edited Sep 17, 2020 05:42PM) (new)

Kathy | 2340 comments What challenges and distractions have you faced this read-a-thon?
I have a lot going on this week so I'm fitting in reading when I can.

The Bookshop on the Shore by Jenny Colgan

Since I'm fairly busy, I'm just doing the individual challenge. I have one raffle entry so that's good.

I've read one book and listened to two others on audio.

Finish A Kind of Freedom on audio, finish reading There There and the hilarious large graphic novel, Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened.

message 14: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Kristick | 670 comments What challenges and distractions have you faced this read-a-thon?
Had a hard time getting into a book I needed to read for my book club, and my daily page count dropped a lot until I got past it.
The Unpleasantness at the Bellona Club by Dorothy L. Sayers - a reread
Very well - we are making good progress on my team and I have completed my raffle entry.

message 15: by Kendra (new)

Kendra | 1013 comments What challenges and distractions have you faced this read-a-thon?
Beyond the usual distractions of life, I spent a bunch of time trying to solve the puzzles for my team.

The House in the Cerulean Sea

Great. I actually feel a little guilty for all the work Emily has been doing for the wheel-of-fortune puzzles.

I've finished 7 books so far, plus one graphic novel that was too short to count.

Finish the 2 books I'm currently reading, and then read the 3 other library books I have.

message 16: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 7512 comments Mod
Haha no need to feel guilty! I'm enjoying watching all of you puzzle through them!

message 17: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 1611 comments What challenges and distractions have you faced this read-a-thon?
Well my husband burned his hands and one arm pretty bad on Wednesday so that has distracted me.
I don't think I have one. I was having fun reading The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes but Part III kind of annoyed me.
I'm behind due to my husband's accident. I probably won't be able to catch up in the overall Around the Year challenge this week.
I listened to Animal Farm on audio and I read The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
I want to read a graphic novel Pumpkinheads and read The Bridges of Madison County