Start by marking “The House in the Cerulean Sea” as Want to Read:
The House in the Cerulean Sea

The House in the Cerulean Sea

4.53  ·  Rating details ·  22,079 ratings  ·  6,214 reviews
A magical island. A dangerous task. A burning secret.

Linus Baker leads a quiet, solitary life. At forty, he lives in a tiny house with a devious cat and his old records. As a Case Worker at the Department in Charge Of Magical Youth, he spends his days overseeing the well-being of children in government-sanctioned orphanages.

When Linus is unexpectedly summoned by Extremely
Published March 17th 2020 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about The House in the Cerulean Sea, please sign up.
David I would really say that it depends on the 9 year old. I read "Carrie" when I was 9. My mother knew that I could handle it. The parts that I didn't und…moreI would really say that it depends on the 9 year old. I read "Carrie" when I was 9. My mother knew that I could handle it. The parts that I didn't understand caused me to ask questions.

There is a blossuming gay relationship in this book. If your 9 year old is aware of such things, then the book is fine. If he's not, it might be an opportunity to teach. But the relationship is described with a great deal of care, and there is nothing sexual depicted. I'm sure some children would read it as the two simply being close friends.(less)

·  22,079 ratings  ·  6,214 reviews

Start your review of The House in the Cerulean Sea
chai ♡
find this review & others on my blog

I think these days more than ever, with a pandemic ravaging every corner of the world, I understand more keenly how absolutely necessary it is to find the escape hatch in reality, to seek out a pleasant corner and while away the hours inside a story. And there is no better one I can think of than this one.

The House in the Cerulean Sea” is a nonstop pleasure. It flooded every corner of my mind with delight and warmth and made me feel reassured and nour
T.J.
Sep 22, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mine
Updated 9/21/20:

If you haven't read The House in the Cerulean Sea yet, good news! The ebook has been discounted again on Amazon US from $13.99 to $2.99 until 9/27. Happy reading!

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/House-Cerulean...

**************

At last, at long last, my first book with Tor has released!

The House in the Cerulean Sea is a love letter to those who should be allowed to feel small and cared for when the world seems dark. Today, March 17, is a scary time. And it might get a little worse b
Regan
Aug 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
omfg this was so cute I am DYING
ELLIAS (elliasreads)
Jul 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
IM FUCKING SOBBING.

S O B B I N G .

This shit hit different and I too, want to live in the House in the Cerulean Sea.

RTC.
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
An extraordinary treat for both T.J. Klune fans and those new to his writing, The House in the Cerulean Sea is a heart-warming, wholesome, diverse, ridiculous, and completely lovable fantasy story.

As a long-time T.J. Klune fan, as I'm sure many of you are, I know you are asking yourself what this book will be like now that T.J. Klune is publishing with the big boys. I'm very happy to report that the book read just like I was expecting it to, which means tight writing, romance (!), queer charact
Muhtasin Oyshik
The House in the Cerulean Sea by T.J. Klune
description
Enjoyed meeting all the magical characters. The children were totally charming, and the adult characters were equally delightful. Beautifully written and full of humor and whimsy with a touch of romance. This was a heartwarming story of a middle-aged man finding what truly matters in life.
We should always make time for the things we like. If we don't, we might forget how to be happy.

So adorable.
Riley
Apr 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
this book is instant serotonin
It is a perfect magical escapist story filled with whimsy and enchantment. If you want a book that will make you happy from the first page to the last, look no further!
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
This book is absolutely every bit as wonderful as everyone says it is and MY HEART IS BURSTING!!!!! I loved this so much and will re-read it for the rest of my life. It is soft bitch hours and I will not be accepting any criticism at this time 🥺😭🥺

TW: fatphobic dialogue and inner thoughts
Melissa ~ Bantering Books
“His thoughts were all cerulean.”

Mine, too. My thoughts are all cerulean, now that I have read TJ Klune’s wonderful novel, The House in the Cerulean Sea. And never have they been tinted such a brilliant, exquisite shade of blue.

Linus Baker lives routinely by the rules. He is a dedicated caseworker for the Department in Charge of Magical Youth; he knows every word of its RULES AND REGULATIONS by heart. At the end of each workday, he returns home to an empty house, comforted only by his clas
Melanie
truly perfection. this will 100% make my best of 2020 list come december. my heart is so very full.

Blog | Instagram | Youtube | Ko-fi | Spotify | Twitch

Buddy read with Maëlys! ❤
Chelsea Humphrey
Sep 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chelsea by: ree
This was exactly what I needed right now. Review to come.
☆ Todd
May 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites

This little gem totally snuck up on me, but I totally fell in love with both the story and every single one of the characters -- especially the six supernatural kids.

For the first ten percent (ish) of the book, we were introduced to Linus, who led a boring existence, simply going thru the motions, with no real life or friends to speak of.

These parts had a teeny tiny bit of humor, but honestly, if I hadn't already known that Klune wrote it, there wasn't anything to really indicate that fact for m
Gabby
This book is lovely.

You can hear my full thoughts in this reading vlog: https://youtu.be/9Xyva5SK7IM
mina reads™️
Jul 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book made me cry over a button so clearly it’s a five star read
carol.
Jul 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a birthday cake of a book. Perhaps a birthday cake dressed up in scary themes, but ultimately, a heart-warming, delicious concoction of a story that just skirts being teeth-tinglingly sweet.

description

Thankfully, the children in the story are monsters enough to cut the sugar with a little milk.

I enjoyed Cerulean Sea, especially once our milquetoast hero, Linus, makes his way to the orphanage and meets the very special children The Department In Charge of Magical Youth wants examined. Until then, t
Danielle
Sep 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a magical adventure! 🙌 In my mind: it’s The Ministry of Magic checking in on Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. Linus was a great character. He is essentially a CPS officer tasked with checking in on magical orphanages. 🤓 I loved how he interacted with each kid, even though he tried to keep a guard up. Lucy (aka Lucifer) was hilariously candid. 😈 Oh, and Arthur is a Dumbledore/Miss Peregrine for sure! Some of the story felt a bit lagging, but overall it was a great read. 👍
daph pink
Do you wish you have read this before?

Yes , a million times yesssssss!!
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Sep 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is one goddamn fairytale. An original one. Which won't be retold in such perfection. I can see authors trying to tell their versions of this fairytale in 2050. Even then, they will find this hidden in the internet archives that once a reviewer gramma wrote this and they would be low-key panicking whenever there's the feeling of thinking of rewriting this precious goddamn fairytale 😎

There's this stepmother (mean, biased fairytale writers! Why only stepmothers are grouchy bad eh??!)...well, I
Hamad
August's pick for my book club!!

Larry H
May 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
OMG, this was so good! It really gave me All. The. Feels!

“The world is a weird and wonderful place. Why must we try and explain it all away? For our personal satisfaction?”

Linus Baker is a quiet man leading a quiet life. He’s a caseworker for the Department in Charge of Magical Youth, where he always follows the rules to a “t.” He doesn't question authority and does what's expected of him: nothing more, nothing less. Other than that, he lives with a cranky cat and his music to keep him company.
Hollis
June 22, 2020 : huge price drop/sale alert!! for the Canucks. for the 'Muricans. only until June 28, 2020.

----

This book was a delightfully sweet and lovely cup of heartbreak, melancholy, and wonder. Which sounds almost awful, or hella sad, and probably contradicts the vibe the cover is putting out, but I don't know how else to describe all the things this made me feel.

There is whimsy and wonder in this world where magical people exists, there's melancholy in the reality that children who demon
Farrah
Aug 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
It's a safe bet that I've never used the word whimsical in a sentence before but this book, which is soooooo out of my reading comfort zone, needs to be described as ... whimsical.

Although it was a smidge too childish for my tastes, that was overshadowed by the lovely writing, sticky sweet characters, and relevant underlying messages which apply to adults as much as they apply to kids.

"𝙄 ... 𝙙𝙤 𝙬𝙝𝙖𝙩 𝙞𝙨 𝙧𝙚𝙦𝙪𝙞𝙧𝙚𝙙 𝙤𝙛 𝙢𝙮 𝙥𝙤𝙨𝙞𝙩𝙞𝙤𝙣, 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙣𝙤𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙢𝙤𝙧𝙚. "
"𝙉𝙤𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙢𝙤𝙧𝙚? " 𝙈𝙧. 𝙋𝙖𝙧𝙣𝙖𝙨𝙨𝙪𝙨 𝙚𝙘𝙝𝙤𝙚𝙙. "𝙃𝙤𝙬 𝙪𝙣𝙛
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
UPDATE: $2.99 Kindle US today 9/24/20
Fadwa (Word Wonders)
CW: trauma, fatphobia both internalized and otherwise (challenged), dieting, bigotry, discussion of child abuse

THIS BOOK MADE ME SO HAPPYYYYYYYYYY!!! It's the embodiment of sunshine, if happiness could be a single book it would be this one and here is why:

- Found family excellence: genuinely one of the best found families I've ever read about. So eclectic and all over the place but so loving and supportive. The way Arthur loves the children, the way they have each other's backs, the way Zoe is e
amy ☂︎
Mar 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I've sat down to write this review more times than I can count. I'm still torn between wanting The House in the Cerulean Sea all to myself and wanting to scream I LOVE THIS BOOK FURIOUSLY at the top of my lungs.

Have you ever loved something on such a deeply personal level that it feels almost impossible to convey that exact feeling to someone else? That whatever you say is pointless anyway, because the person on the other side isn't you and they will never be able to fully comprehend what touch
Nilufer Ozmekik
Sep 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Hands down. This is one of the best things I’ve read this year! I LOVED THIS BOOK SO MUCH!

I fell for the world building, creative-crazy-unique ideas, character development! This is not only a regular YA fantasy novel. This book is about acceptance, caring, opening your heart and soul! As a summary: this book is about unconditional love and respecting differences of others.

It’s a sweet, smart, entertaining and also heartwarming story hooks you from the first chapter, makes you giggle, smile, si
Shaun Hutchinson
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a special book that I loved immensely. Sometimes you find a book right when you need it, and I needed this book. It's endearing and heartfelt and just wonderful.
Anne Bogel
Jul 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was my first T.J. Klune book but it won't be my last. (And that's a guarantee because I'm currently reading The Extraordinaries.

In this whimsical fantasy, a 40-year-old career case worker has his life turned upside down by a special assignment. Linus Baker’s job is to ensure the children are safe—or at least he’s convinced himself that the field visits he makes to the orphanages sanctioned by The Department of Magical Youth are crucial to the well-being of these unusual children. But every
Gail Carriger
I was given an advanced reader of this book and have been waiting to crow about it. I ADORED it. It’s basically 1984 meets The Umbrella Academy with a pinch of Douglas Adams thrown in. It’s what I wanted Miss Peregrine's Home to be. It’s delightful and comforting and warm. HIGHLY recommended.
Maryam🌻
Sep 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Believe me when I say that this is the most wholesome book I’ve read this year and maybe possibly ever .

God, this book! It made me so freaking happy. It made me smile and laugh and cry and it squeezed my heart and filled me with warmth and oh it was wonderful🥺❤️

What’s this book about?
It starts with Linus Baker who is a timid caseworker for the Department in Charge of Magical Youth meaning that he makes sure magical children who are in orphanages are living a good, healthy life. He lives a rel
Opening Round
619,889 Votes Cast

• Sin Eater
  • Lab Partners
  • Chosen Ones (The Chosen Ones, #1)
  • Wicked As You Wish (A Hundred Names for Magic, #1)
  • Where Dreams Descend (Kingdom of Cards, #1)
  • The Honey-Don't List
  • The Darkness
  • The Fountains of Silence
  • Valiant (Modern Faerie Tales #2)
  • Ama: A Modern Tex-Mex Kitchen (Mexican Food Cookbooks, Tex-Mex Cooking, Mexican and Spanish Recipes)
  • Girl Gone Viral (Modern Love, #2)
  • Pumpkinheads
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb #1)
  • Suckerpunch (Hockey Gods & Monsters, #1)
  • I Am (Not) Scared
  • This Book Is Gray
  • Pirates Don't Go to Kindergarten!
  • Eraser
TJ KLUNE is a Lambda Literary Award-winning author (Into This River I Drown) and an ex-claims examiner for an insurance company. His novels include The House in the Cerulean Sea and The Extraordinaries. Being queer himself, TJ believes it's important—now more than ever—to have accurate, positive, queer representation in stories.

Articles featuring this book

“Humanity is so weird. If we’re not laughing, we’re crying or running for our lives because monsters are trying to eat us. And they don’t even have to be real monsters. They could be the ones we make up in our heads. Don’t you think that’s weird?” 83 likes
“Change often starts with the smallest of whispers. Like-minded people building it up to a roar.” 72 likes