Start by marking “The House in the Cerulean Sea” as Want to Read:
The House in the Cerulean Sea

The House in the Cerulean Sea

4.53  ·  Rating details ·  89,711 ratings  ·  21,717 reviews
A magical island. A dangerous task. A burning secret.

Linus Baker leads a quiet, solitary life. At forty, he lives in a tiny house with a devious cat and his old records. As a Case Worker at the Department in Charge Of Magical Youth, he spends his days overseeing the well-being of children in government-sanctioned orphanages.

When Linus is unexpectedly summoned by Extremely
Published March 17th 2020 by Tor Books (first published March 16th 2020)
Featured Notes & Highlights

To ask other readers questions about The House in the Cerulean Sea, please sign up.
David I would really say that it depends on the 9 year old. I read "Carrie" when I was 9. My mother knew that I could handle it. The parts that I didn't und…moreI would really say that it depends on the 9 year old. I read "Carrie" when I was 9. My mother knew that I could handle it. The parts that I didn't understand caused me to ask questions.

There is a blossuming gay relationship in this book. If your 9 year old is aware of such things, then the book is fine. If he's not, it might be an opportunity to teach. But the relationship is described with a great deal of care, and there is nothing sexual depicted. I'm sure some children would read it as the two simply being close friends.(less)

·  89,711 ratings  ·  21,717 reviews

Start your review of The House in the Cerulean Sea
chai ♡
Reread 10-15/05/21: Just as soul-mending the second time round.

I think these days more than ever, with a pandemic ravaging every corner of the world, I understand more keenly how absolutely necessary it is to find the escape hatch in reality, to seek out a pleasant corner and while away the hours inside a story. And there is no better one I can think of than this one.

The House in the Cerulean Sea” is a nonstop pleasure. It flooded every corner of my mind with delight and warmth and made me fee
T.J.
Sep 22, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mine
Updated 12/29/20

The House in the Cerulean Sea is now out in paperback! Return to the island where everything is happy, and you'll only be threatened a little bit by a gnome with a shovel and the Antichrist. Now available wherever books are sold. (Buy link below, or support your local indie store!)

**************

At last, at long last, my first book with Tor has released!

The House in the Cerulean Sea is a love letter to those who should be allowed to feel sm
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
So... this was unexpected.

I'm not sure if it's 2020 or the Holidays getting to me but this was very wholesome!

This definitely felt a bit like a children's book but the characters were attaching and I definitely laughed/smiled a few times while listening to this audiobook.
Regan
Aug 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
omfg this was so cute I am DYING
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
I really enjoyed this! It was filled with charming characters, children and adults alike, so much whimsy, a hint of romance, and was just an overall sweet read. However, I can't help but wonder how I would have felt about it had I not seen so much hype surrounding it. I think I would have liked it a bit more because while I enjoyed it a lot, my expectations were too high going in. That being said, I think that it was a very unique and fantastic read. Kind of like Miss Peregrine's but for adults ...more
ELLIAS (elliasreads)
Jul 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
IM FUCKING SOBBING.

S O B B I N G .

This shit hit different and I too, want to live in the House in the Cerulean Sea.

Reading Vlog : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h-ln...
Twitter | Bookstagram | Youtube |
Nilufer Ozmekik
Sep 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Hands down. This is one of the best things I’ve read this year! I LOVED THIS BOOK SO MUCH!

I fell for the world building, creative-crazy-unique ideas, character development! This is not only a regular YA fantasy novel. This book is about acceptance, caring, opening your heart and soul! As a summary: this book is about unconditional love and respecting differences of others.

It’s a sweet, smart, entertaining and also heartwarming story hooks you from the first chapter, makes you giggle, smile, si
mina reads™️
Jul 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: found-family
This book made me cry over a button so clearly it’s a five star read 🥺
Muhtasin Oyshik
The House in the Cerulean Sea by T.J. Klune
description
Enjoyed meeting all the magical characters. The children were totally charming, and the adult characters were equally delightful. Beautifully written and full of humor and whimsy with a touch of romance. This was a heartwarming story of a middle-aged man finding what truly matters in life.

So adorable.
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
An extraordinary treat for both T.J. Klune fans and those new to his writing, The House in the Cerulean Sea is a heart-warming, wholesome, diverse, ridiculous, and completely lovable fantasy story.

As a long-time T.J. Klune fan, as I'm sure many of you are, I know you are asking yourself what this book will be like now that T.J. Klune is publishing with the big boys. I'm very happy to report that the book read just like I was expecting it to, which means tight writing, romance (!), queer charact
Warda
If you were to ask me how I’m feeling today, I’ll tell you I’m feeling pretty fuckin’ perfect.

This book was unbelievably hyped. There are some hyped books you get, and an instinctual feeling sets in and you know that it’s deserved. Not just deserved: there’s something about it that sets it apart from others.

I knew my soul needed this book. And it’s not that themes discussed were anything new. Or all happy for that matter. But they made for great reminders and they made you feel content.
The au
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Sep 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is one goddamn fairytale. An original one. Which won't be retold in such perfection. I can see authors trying to tell their versions of this fairytale in 2050. Even then, they will find this hidden in the internet archives that once a reviewer gramma wrote this and they would be low-key panicking whenever there's the feeling of thinking of rewriting this precious goddamn fairytale 😎

There's this stepmother (mean, biased fairytale writers! Why only stepmothers are grouchy bad eh??!)...well, I
Riley
Apr 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
this book is instant serotonin
It is a perfect magical escapist story filled with whimsy and enchantment. If you want a book that will make you happy from the first page to the last, look no further!
Melissa ~ Bantering Books
Be sure to visit Bantering Books to read all my latest reviews.

“His thoughts were all cerulean.”

Mine, too. My thoughts are all cerulean, now that I have read TJ Klune’s wonderful novel, The House in the Cerulean Sea. And never have they been tinted such a brilliant, exquisite shade of blue.

Linus Baker lives routinely by the rules. He is a dedicated caseworker for the Department in Charge of Magical Youth; he knows every word of its RULES AND REGULATIONS by heart. At the end of each workday
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
This book is absolutely every bit as wonderful as everyone says it is and MY HEART IS BURSTING!!!!! I loved this so much and will re-read it for the rest of my life. It is soft bitch hours and I will not be accepting any criticism at this time 🥺😭🥺

TW: fatphobic dialogue and inner thoughts
Melanie
truly perfection. this will 100% make my best of 2020 list come december. my heart is so very full.

Blog | Instagram | Youtube | Ko-fi | Spotify | Twitch

Buddy read with Maëlys! ❤
Chelsea Humphrey
Sep 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chelsea by: ree
This was exactly what I needed right now. Review to come.
☆ Todd
May 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites

This little gem completely snuck up on me, but I totally fell in love with both the story and every single one of the characters -- especially the six supernatural kids.

For the first ten percent (ish) of the book, we were introduced to Linus, who led a boring existence, simply going thru the motions, with no real life or friends to speak of.

These parts had a teeny tiny bit of humor, but honestly, if I hadn't already known that Klune wrote it, there wasn't anything to really indicate that fact fo
carol.
Jul 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a birthday cake of a book. Perhaps a birthday cake dressed up in scary themes, but ultimately, a heart-warming, delicious concoction of a story that just skirts being teeth-tinglingly sweet.

description

Thankfully, the children in the story are monsters enough to cut the sugar with a little milk.

I enjoyed Cerulean Sea, especially once our milquetoast hero, Linus, makes his way to the orphanage and meets the very special children The Department In Charge of Magical Youth wants examined. Until then, t
Yun
Mar 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Please excuse me while I dry my tears and wipe that big goofy smile off my face. What an absolutely wondrous story The House in the Cerulean Sea turned out to be!

Linus is a buttoned-up, live-by-the-rules, no-fun employee who works for the Department in Charge of Magical Youth. When he gets his latest secret assignment from Extremely Upper Management to visit an orphanage on a remote island, he doesn't know what to expect. But soon his assignment turns into the adventure of a lifetime, one that w
daph pink ♡
Sep 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: queer, fantasy, 4-star
This is just too precious, my heart can't take it♥️ ...more
Gabby
This book is lovely.

You can hear my full thoughts in this reading vlog: https://youtu.be/9Xyva5SK7IM
preoccupiedbybooks
A heart-warming, charming and enchanting story about love, acceptance, belonging, and celebrating our differences!
❤️🧡💛💚💙💜

Linus Baker, a quiet and lonely case worker at The Department in Charge of Magical Youth (Dicomy) is sent to Marsyas Island Orphanage to inspect it, and is expected to report his findings to extremely upper management. When Linus arrives, he is shocked to find a Gnome, Forest Sprite, a green blob, a Wyvern, a Were-Pomeranian, and the Anti-Christ...Are these children dangerous?
Danielle
Sep 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a magical adventure! 🙌 In my mind: it’s The Ministry of Magic checking in on Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. Linus was a great character. He is essentially a CPS officer tasked with checking in on magical orphanages. 🤓 I loved how he interacted with each kid, even though he tried to keep a guard up. Lucy (aka Lucifer) was hilariously candid. 😈 Oh, and Arthur is a Dumbledore/Miss Peregrine for sure! Some of the story felt a bit lagging, but overall it was a great read. 👍 ...more
Ay
Feb 16, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The exercise of an “honest review” is an interesting one. Generally on goodreads I write frank reviews to vent or to remind myself of my thoughts for later. I tend to pick my reading for recreational purposes. That meshes well when I get a netgalley book to review which I would normally read anyway.

This book I asked for on the off chance that I’d like it, as some Klunes are desert island reads for me. Having quickly ascertained that this book was awful, I had to think a bit about what to do. If
Maxwell
Jan 10, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
THIS is the energy I need in 2021. Heartwarming, uplifting, magical content. Everyone I know has read and loved this book and I totally see why. All of the characters are lovable, it will make you smile, and might even make you cry (happy tears, that is).

It also has great crossover appeal! When I went to buy this book at my local indie bookstore and couldn't find it on the shelves, I asked the man behind the counter and we both discussed how we didn't know if it was considered YA or adult, and a
Hamad
This Review ✍️ Blog 📖 Twitter 🐦 Instagram 📷

“We should always make time for the things we like. If we don’t, we might forget how to be happy.”

This book has been getting all kind of glowing reviews and I am jumping on the bandwagon and adding my voice to all the fans of this story. This is a book that just made me happy and made me cry and for that it deserves a full 5 stars which I rarely give.

I have not read Klune’s other books and although this is his latest, it was my first expo
Mrinmayi
IF THIS BOOK DOES NOT WIN GR CHOICE AWARDS...I AM GONNA GO EMO ( Ok that was me being dramatic xD)

I am gonna pray that this book will win

Buddy read with
Saggittaurius

Disclaimer:{ If you're looking for a well constructed review this is definitely not THE REVIEW for you🧏🏽‍♀️
This review basically includes me gushing over the characters and fangirling over this book.....}

Ok ...now that you have read the disclaimer lets rave about this book..
"OMG!!! MY CHEEKS A
Larry H
May 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
OMG, this was so good! It really gave me All. The. Feels!

“The world is a weird and wonderful place. Why must we try and explain it all away? For our personal satisfaction?”

Linus Baker is a quiet man leading a quiet life. He’s a caseworker for the Department in Charge of Magical Youth, where he always follows the rules to a “t.” He doesn't question authority and does what's expected of him: nothing more, nothing less. Other than that, he lives with a cranky cat and his music to keep him company.
Sofia
Apr 07, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rtc
THAT WAS SO CUTE AHHHH SO PRECIOUS AND WHOLESOME
review to come...

• Sin Eater
  • Lab Partners
  • Chosen Ones (The Chosen Ones, #1)
  • Wicked As You Wish (A Hundred Names for Magic, #1)
  • Where Dreams Descend (Kingdom of Cards, #1)
  • The Honey-Don't List
  • The Darkness (Hidden Iceland, #1)
  • The Fountains of Silence
  • Valiant (Modern Faerie Tales #2)
  • Ama: A Modern Tex-Mex Kitchen
  • Girl Gone Viral (Modern Love, #2)
  • Pumpkinheads
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)
  • Suckerpunch (Hockey Gods & Monsters, #1)
  • I Am (Not) Scared
  • This Book Is Gray
  • Pirates Don't Go to Kindergarten!
  • Eraser
TJ KLUNE is a Lambda Literary Award-winning author (Into This River I Drown) and an ex-claims examiner for an insurance company. His novels include The House in the Cerulean Sea and The Extraordinaries. Being queer himself, TJ believes it's important—now more than ever—to have accurate, positive, queer representation in stories. ...more

Articles featuring this book

“We should always make time for the things we like. If we don't, we might forget how to be happy.” 265 likes
“Hate is loud, but I think you'll learn it's because it's only a few people shouting, desperate to be heard. You might not ever be able to change their minds, but so long as your remember you're not alone, you will overcome.” 264 likes