Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > Fall '20 Read-a-Thon: Kick-Off

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited Sep 12, 2020 06:57AM) (new)

Laura | 3821 comments Mod
It’s time to start another read-a-thon!

The event runs from when you wake up on Saturday, September 12 until you go to sleep on Sunday, September 20. The goal is to read as much as you can and to have tons of fun. It's 9 full days of books and games. Feel free to participate in as few or as many games as you like.

We’ll be posting a game every day, and there is a Team Challenge. It’s not too late to sign up for the team challenge if you want.

We also have a very exciting prize opportunity this time! Those who complete the a href="https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... Challenge will be entered in a drawing to choose a prompt for the 2021 list.

So let’s kick off this read-a-thon with some questions, and don’t forget to keep coming back to the Read-a-Thon folder throughout the week.

1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
2. Are there any books you're dying to start or finish?
3. Where will you be doing most of your reading?
4. Is there anything that's going to stand in the way of your reading this week? Let us cheer you on!

Be sure to check in to the progress thread to update us on your reading throughout the week!

message 2: by Robin P, Orbicular Mod (last edited Sep 12, 2020 01:05PM) (new)

Robin P | 1896 comments Mod
1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon? Finish a print & audio book I am on now that have over 100 pages left. Read 5 more books.

2. Are there any books you're dying to start or finish? Looking forward to reading the short books On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous and Black No More, which I've been saving for this purpose.

3. Where will you be doing most of your reading? Print & ebooks on my couch and/or bed. Audiobooks while out walking and doing household chores

4. Is there anything that's going to stand in the way of your reading this week? Let us cheer you on! I have a few commitments to groups I am in that will take up some of my time but since I am retired, I still should be able to meet my goals.
**Edit**I'm sure I would read more if I didn't spend so much time checking this site!

message 3: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 1596 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon? I feel like I always say this but to get caught back up in the challenge. I'm currently two behind. I seem to get caught up during the read-a-thons and then fall behind a little bit again.
2. Are there any books you're dying to start or finish? I'm currently reading The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes and I am interested in Snow's journey. I'm also planning on reading a graphic novel today. I plan to do a re-read of Animal Farm on audio. Since they have a lot of these free I thought it would be a good way to read the classics that I read while I was younger.
3. Where will you be doing most of your reading? At home on my couch or on my porch.
4. Is there anything that's going to stand in the way of your reading this week? Let us cheer you on! This time I don't think so. It's a slow week at work and my boss is on vacation so I'm expecting some quiet time.

message 4: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 244 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
I'm hoping complete 4 books during the read-a-thon, or at least to reach to the 2000 point goal for the Individual Challenge.

I plan to finish Stranger in a Strange Land (I have just over 300 pages left), and I'm excited to start Piranesi, The Pharaoh Key, and
Origin. So basically, I'm excited for everything I plan to read lol.

At home.

4. Is there anything that's going to stand in the way of your reading this week? Let us cheer you on!
Work. I was hoping the read-a-thon would be later in the month when I have some days off (i.e., more time to read), but we'll see how this week goes.

message 5: by Karissa (new)

Karissa | 440 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon? Read 4 books
2. Are there any books you're dying to start or finish? I'm a few episodes into the TV show version of Looking for Alaska and enjoying it so I decided to pause that and read the book.
3. Where will you be doing most of your reading? At home or in the car listening to audiobooks.
4. Is there anything that's going to stand in the way of your reading this week? Let us cheer you on! Since quarantine started in March, I've been in a huge reading slump. Work has been crazy and left me with little free time and a burned out brain. As things have started to get back to a more normal pace, I'm trying to get back into my reading.

message 6: by Steven (new)

Steven McCreary | 141 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
To see how many books I can read when I set my mind to it. I'm hoping for at least three. Hopefully it'll also lower my electricity bill as I won't be watching as many movies during the day.

I will be starting with the original trilogy of the dragon riders of pern. I have never read the series, but figured some good old fashioned fantasy will be a quick read for me. I've got some poetry books from the library that I will try to read as well.

At home on the couch.

My 3 and a half month old daughter's sleep schedule. She hit her four month sleep regression early, so who knows when and how she'll sleep for this week. If it's real bad though, it might actually increase my reading since I can read my kindle books on my phone while holding her quietly in her room praying for her to sleep.

message 7: by Joi (new)

Joi | 40 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
Finish all of the books I have checked out on Libby.
All of them
At home
Nope

message 8: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 1767 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
Read enough for a raffle entry and try and tick off some more ATY prompts.

I'm looking forward to Afterland.

At home, on the sofa, with a pooch by my side.

Work and my boyfriend's mum wants to see us tomorrow, so I'm not sure I'll read much then.

message 9: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Kristick | 644 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
To read the library books I've been sitting on
Educated by Tara Westover - my library hold just came in
At home
Not really. Most of my time will be spent inside for the next few days as the air quality in Oregon is horrible with the wildfires. Fortunately, none of the fires are close to me, but the winds have been bringing smoke and ash to my town.

message 10: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 1013 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon? Read, read, read
2. Are there any books you're dying to start or finish? Not really, just get some books read for the challenge.
3. Where will you be doing most of your reading? At home - with covid and dreadful air quality going out seems like a bad plan.
4. Is there anything that's going to stand in the way of your reading this week? Let us cheer you on! Nothing except me getting distracted by random things.

message 11: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (new)

Jackie | 1358 comments Mod
I want to read a lot this week and try to make some progress on the challenge.

I just got A House at the Bottom of a Lake so I'm really hoping to get to it soon

At home, alas. Can't really go anywhere else sadly.

It's going to be a bit busy for me this week, so we'll see how much reading I actually get done.

message 12: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2568 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
Read a lot and knock off at least 3 prompts!

Finish The Master Butchers Singing Club! I have already renewed it 2 times and still have 189 pages to go. I just started Stalin's Daughter: The Extraordinary and Tumultuous Life of Svetlana Alliluyeva and The Sadness of Beautiful Things: Storiestoday and am finding both to be very interesting!

At home.

4. Is there anything that's going to stand in the way of your reading this week?
Nope. Fingers crossed that it stays that way.

message 13: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 7429 comments Mod
- I'm at that weird part of the year when I don't feel like reading anything and I usually reread a bunch of books, but I'm only one book ahead on ATY so I feel like I need to concentrate on that. My goal is to finish 2 print books and as many audio as I can get in.

- I'd like to have The Secrets We Kept finished by Monday, because my Book of the Month box should be coming in on Monday and I'm excited to read both of those books (Transcendent Kingdom by Yaa Gyasi and Anxious People by Fredrik Backman)

- I would say home, but we are redoing the floors! So I'm floating around friends' houses, work, and my husband's workplace while people are in our home installing our floors.

- The usual -- work, managing the team challenge, and my phone serving as an excellent distraction.

message 14: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2321 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
Finish 5 books - some print and some audio

The Bookish Life of Nina Hill by Abbi Waxman

At home, in my recliner for print books. Working at my computer or doing chores for audio.

I'll be busy with family for four days, so may not get much reading done then.

message 15: by Roxana (new)

Roxana (luminate) | 416 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
I recently started multiple really long books, so my goals are to finish those! And basically to just actually finish several even though I haven't completed a book for a few days (usually I'm more like one a day, but longer books, obviously, take longer)

I need to finish Destination Wedding and start & finish Home Before Dark because they're both due back at the library, like, yesterday. And I've also got a few ARCs coming out in the next two weeks that I would really like to finish and review before their publication.

At home, because pandemic, with the windows shut tight, because of wildfire air quality. ...but at least I have books?

My birthday falls during this readathon, so I might be zoom partying a bit on the weekend instead of just reading ;)

message 16: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

I would love to finish my current book (The Mother-in-Law) plus two more. My goals tend to be overly ambitious though :p

I’m definitely interested in how my current book ends. I got a few at the library that I’m excited to read so I’m going to just see what strikes my interest when it’s time.

Considering we’re waiting on furniture delivery so are currently using two air mattresses and an armchair, I think I’ll stick to the armchair. I did move to a place right on Lake Erie though so I wouldn’t mind going to the lake at least once.

Work, as always. Also the typical Netflix time with my husband

message 17: by Kendra (new)

Kendra | 989 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
I want my team to not finish in last place. It's silly, but I am competitive enough that it bothered me, and this time I went to the library and loaded up on shorter books just for the read-a-thon.

I really want to read the new October Daye book by Seanan McGuire - but I've been told I'm not allowed to buy it and have to wait for my Birthday.

At home.

There's nothing I know about.

message 18: by Sherri (new)

Sherri Harris | 868 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon? To complete 3 books
2. Are there any books your dying to start or finish? I can't wait to finish Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno-Garcia. I can't wait to start In The Country of Women by Susan Straight.
3. Where will you be doing most of your reading? Sofa
4. Is there anything that's going to stand in the way. Monday morning is busy. I think that's it.

message 19: by Kim (new)

Kim (kmyers) | 511 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon? This is my first read-a-thon, so have fun, read books, figure out how it works
2. Are there any books you're dying to start or finish? Finishing Hild, which I've been reading "at" for over 5 years would be great (270+ pages to go). Also, reading an ARC I recently received is one of my goals.
3. Where will you be doing most of your reading? On my deck or porch.
4. Is there anything that's going to stand in the way? We have a relative coming to visit early next week.

message 20: by Sue (new)

Sue S | 362 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
Get further ahead with my reading, and through more of my ever increasing physical tbr
I have been reading War and Peace all year, but have committed to finishing it by the end of September for a Classics Club Challenge
On my bed or outside
Work, my garden (it is spring here and I need to get busy), and my new granddaughter who just lives a few minutes away

message 21: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 2542 comments Mod
I would like to get through at least a few of these overdue library books I have sitting here

Nothing is jumping out at me, I only recently started getting any reading done again

Kitchen table with lots of coffee/in bed at night

Oh geez, its 2020, who knows at this point??!!

message 22: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 802 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
To finish at least 2 books plus one audiobook
I have a few on gand but not sure which one will be bext. Depends on what strikes my fancy at the moment.
At home, in the living room
Work and my phone.I get way too distracted playing on it.

message 23: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Tracy wrote: "1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
I would like to get through at least a few of these overdue library books I have sitting here

No..."

Very (very 😭) good point

message 24: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (last edited Sep 12, 2020 07:06PM) (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 2542 comments Mod
Laura wrote: "Very (very 😭) good point..."

I mean honestly the girls were in school for 2 days (!!!!) and I got the email saying there were 2 students at my 8 year olds elementary school with covid. So in our town first week of school- 3 high school teachers quarantined and being tested the night before school started. And now 2 positive elementary students in one school, one positive in another school, 2 bus drivers, a bus monitor and 26 kids on quarantine. Don't think I'll be sending them back on Tuesday.

Probably remote school will be my biggest distraction :/

My daughters were listening to a song today and the chorus was "Low key F 2020" I about died laughing.

message 25: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2722 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
Read as much as I can

The German House

At home

Actually, it's a pretty good week for me for once! I have a full day of work on Monday, but quite a bit of free time Tuesday - Thursday and next weekend. My biggest barrier will probably be my bad habit of spending hours watching pointless videos when I want to read, then realizing it's very late and I don't have much time.

message 26: by Viktoria (new)

Viktoria Valkova | 102 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
To catch up on the challenges, since I'm currently 1-2 books behind, and to kick-off the Fall Reading Challenge! That would mean finishing at least 4 books during the read-a-thon
Yes, I looked forward to finishing Seveneves, which I did yesterday, so yay me hahah
Mostly at home
Yes, work and spending to much time on GR :)

message 27: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2995 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
My goal is to finish the three books that I have chosen for Space Opera September. It should happen!

I am looking forward to starting the Murderbot series this week.

Mostly in bed or on the pontoon boat in the evenings. I am listening to the one audiobook I have throughout the day today.

I think I should be good. My side job has ended and my main job is very quiet this week. :-)